View Full Version : Bardic Scythe

Eriash'demaa
2012-11-15, 02:31 PM
Bardic Scythe
Martial One-handed Melee

Cost Damage Critical Range Type Weight
100 g.p. 1d6 x4 - Slashing 7 lbs

Notes
+4 vs disarming checks made to resist disarmament (strapped to arm), can be used as a bard's instrument

sengmeng
2012-11-16, 01:44 PM
Table, please.

something|something else|another thing
the first thing| the second thing| third thing

If you change "tabel" to "table" it will look like this:

{table]something|something else|another thing
[/table]

That should help you get more feedback.

It looks okay, but I have no idea what a scythe that functions as an instrument would look like, so I'm just confused on that point.

Locked gauntlets give you a +10 bonus to resist disarms and spiked gauntlets can't be disarmed at all, so I wouldn't consider it broken to give it a higher bonus than +4 for being strapped to the arm. Fluff would be nice to help people figure out what it actually is.

Debihuman
2012-11-16, 02:29 PM
How do you play a scythe?

Debby

Amechra
2012-11-17, 02:24 PM
Perform (Weapon Drill)?

Alternatively, the handle is hollow, and you hit it to get the scythe blade to resonate in weird space age music.

Eriash'demaa
2012-11-20, 07:43 AM
Table, please.

something|something else|another thing

If you change "tabel" to "table" it will look like this:

{table]something|something else|another thing
[/table]

That should help you get more feedback.

It looks okay, but I have no idea what a scythe that functions as an instrument would look like, so I'm just confused on that point.

Locked gauntlets give you a +10 bonus to resist disarms and spiked gauntlets can't be disarmed at all, so I wouldn't consider it broken to give it a higher bonus than +4 for being strapped to the arm. Fluff would be nice to help people figure out what it actually is.

Basically, adjacent to the scythe blade is a harp. If the scythe blade is facing down, the harp would be directly above it, on the other side of the handle, but on the same end.

Ashtagon
2012-11-20, 09:13 AM
Basically, adjacent to the scythe blade is a harp. If the scythe blade is facing down, the harp would be directly above it, on the other side of the handle, but on the same end.

And the first effective slashing attack with the scythe would break every single string on such a harp. Even an effective piercing attack would strip away half the strings.

Either that, or we are visualising entirely different things.

Eriash'demaa
2012-11-20, 09:21 AM
How do you play a scythe?

Debby

The same way you play a harp.

Eriash'demaa
2012-11-20, 09:22 AM
And the first effective slashing attack with the scythe would break every single string on such a harp. Even an effective piercing attack would strip away half the strings.

Either that, or we are visualising entirely different things.

It's D&D, anything's possible.

Eriash'demaa
2012-11-20, 09:24 AM
Perform (Weapon Drill)?

Alternatively, the handle is hollow, and you hit it to get the scythe blade to resonate in weird space age music.

Honestly, I think that's awesome. Very original, too.

Ashtagon
2012-11-20, 09:37 AM
It's D&D, anything's possible.

Oh yeah. Because magic. Better up the damage dice to 6d6 in that case.

Socratov
2012-11-21, 06:16 AM
Perform (Weapon Drill)?

in complete warrior perform(Weapon Drill) is explicitly disallowed to be used with bardic music, so I'd have to say no. I do think that with a hollow handle or something it would work. then again, you could make this blade an exception for perform(weapondrill) becuase of the pattern of holes and slits into the blade so throwing the blade around would create some kind of harmonics and that keeping up the song really needs a full round action. (it woudl be the only logical bit of action, then the lvl 1 classfeature would be Lingering song or something else that helps you pause and continue bardic musics). You could buidl around a feat using this weapon so that a weapon drill performance could enhance the bonus on the next attack...

for that matter you could make a "bardic" enhancement for weapons so that performing weapon drills with them makes them initaite bardic music...

Yitzi
2012-11-21, 10:26 AM

You know, if your sig is going to specify a color for sarcasm, perhaps you should use that color when you're being sarcastic? Otherwise you're just wasting that line in your sig. :smallamused:

Ashtagon
2012-11-21, 11:21 AM
You know, if your sig is going to specify a color for sarcasm, perhaps you should use that color when you're being sarcastic? Otherwise you're just wasting that line in your sig. :smallamused:

I wasn't being sarcastic. The comment was meant as earnestly as the one to which i was replying.

Eriash'demaa
2012-11-27, 09:23 AM

The only magical thing about the bardic scythe is the durability.

Pyromancer999
2012-11-27, 11:13 AM
The only magical thing about the bardic scythe is the durability.

Even if only that is magic, you'll need to list spells needed, as well as XP costs, for starters.

danzibr
2012-11-27, 01:50 PM
I think it'd be much cooler if the scythe had guitar strings on it.

Tanuki Tales
2012-11-27, 02:29 PM
Well, since this thing is magic, I just got a wicked mental image:

It's just a scythe, but after dealing damage the blood drips down the blade, congealing and solidifying into harp strings.

Pyromancer999
2012-11-27, 03:49 PM
Well, since this thing is magic, I just got a wicked mental image:

It's just a scythe, but after dealing damage the blood drips down the blade, congealing and solidifying into harp strings.

And it could boost your next Perform(Music) check by a certain amount, depending on how much damage it dealt, which would be effective for the next few rounds.

Tarsten Corvus
2012-11-29, 11:19 PM
It would almost seem like it would do well as a flute like weapon too. Covering holes and making music as you spin it around the battlefield. just an idea.

LordErebus12
2012-11-29, 11:42 PM
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs12/i/2006/287/9/7/Dante__s_Stringed_Scythe_by_EmperorJustin.jpg

not my image, but relevant.

honestly, the strings should be on the handle, flexing the handle, instead of blocking the cutting surface.

toapat
2012-11-30, 12:44 AM
I think it'd be much cooler if the scythe had guitar strings on it.

No, that would be the Bardic Axe. a scythe doesnt have the kind of size needed to have a resonance chamber or guitar pickups

I still prefer as a bardic weapon a Thundering Shock Lute