PDA

View Full Version : Hellbred Oddity

HunterColt22
2012-11-15, 04:53 PM
I was recently looking up races for a character idea I have buzzing in my head and I remembered Hellbred as a fun little thing to possibly try with out next campaign since I am known as the construct guy for my love of warforged and shardminds(if 4E). In any case when looking at their scourged body choices I noticed something odd in the descriptors near the top, one is labled EX for extraordinary while the other is SU for Super Natural Ability normally. So, possibly by silly edits and RAW if your DM is a stickler for pure rules only, when ever you walk into an anti magic field you lose that wonderful darkvison and ability modifier to charisma :smalleek: :eek:. That just seems like a very, very, very bad over site, and I was wondering (and hoping for that matter) if they ever did an errata for that, before possibly choosing the better of the two just from that silly edit alone.

The Random NPC
2012-11-15, 06:38 PM
Doesn't look like there's been any errata for the book.
For future reference you can check here (http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1406/~/d%26d%3A-3.5-and-3.0-errata-and-faq) for 3.5 and 3.0 erratas and FAQs.

Arcanist
2012-11-15, 07:07 PM
And just like that Hellbred is my favorite race. Free Telepathy at 15th level meaning you no longer need to take a dip in Mindbender to be able to gain it :smalltongue:

HunterColt22
2012-11-15, 08:40 PM
Doesn't look like there's been any errata for the book.
For future reference you can check here (http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1406/~/d%26d%3A-3.5-and-3.0-errata-and-faq) for 3.5 and 3.0 erratas and FAQs.

Thanks, and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss it myself hence the asking again though it leads to wonder with a certain type of DM, how badly that type of hellbred could be gimped. The telepathy is fun again but it is still su, meaning even more of a loss once entered into an anti magic field. :/

The Random NPC
2012-11-15, 11:09 PM
Honestly, I would say that the Su tag is for the magical benefits such as telepathy, Darkvision may be Su depending on my mood, but the Cha modifier is Ex. Then again, I'm not your DM.

Psyren
2012-11-16, 12:35 AM
I doubt any DM would actually enforce that, especially when it means recalculating everything Cha-based on your sheet everytime you step in or out of an AMF. So I wouldn't worry.

And I too love Shardminds. I wanted to port them back to 3,5, maybe just give them the same stats as Psiforged and call it a day.

HunterColt22
2012-11-16, 07:44 AM
I doubt any DM would actually enforce that, especially when it means recalculating everything Cha-based on your sheet everytime you step in or out of an AMF. So I wouldn't worry.

And I too love Shardminds. I wanted to port them back to 3,5, maybe just give them the same stats as Psiforged and call it a day.

In one of the current games I am playing we have done that. Retain their stat boosts and pick, along with their other bonuses because honestly they are not game breaking in the slightest, the only one that might be at all is shard swarm, but that is only about 15 feet, enough to get out of jail and a few other instances. We figured out they retained most if not all their abilities, and that shard swarm worked more on giving you a to-hit and ac boost when used pretty much, it's fun, though not having the normal immunities of a living construct blows, but eh so is life. I agree that a normal DM wouldn't do it either, but still, it's just funny and odd to muse on these things, on what the editors did and what ramifications it has on the game at points.