PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What level should this spell be?

gomipile
2012-11-15, 04:57 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wind's Reach

Transmutation
Level: Clr ???, Sor/Wiz ???
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: You or a single creature touched.
Target: You
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You gain a tactile feeling for every ranged attack you make, and every projectile so launched. All of your ranged attacks are calculated and resolved normally in every way except that they also count as melee attacks. This effect does not allow you to threaten squares you could not otherwise threaten.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What level should this spell be, and would you change the language any to achieve the intended result? The intent is that it does not change the damage or effective attack bonus of the attack regardless of the subject's strength and dex scores.

The ultimate purpose is to provide a way for ToB maneuvers to be usable on ranged attacks for the duration of the spell.

Cipher Stars
2012-11-15, 05:13 PM
Looks like a 3 to me. Any more then that and it starts to lose usefulness. Any less and it could be a little problematic.

Gandariel
2012-11-15, 05:16 PM
It's kinda vague.
You should either:
a) State all interactions with other things (Can you help someone flank with it? Do you not incur in AoO because you're making melee attacks? Can you get Sneak attack from further than 30 feet? etc)
b) Just say " You can use manuevers with ranged attacks".

And anyway, that's not really an ability i would give to a spell:

Even not considering the stupid things (Throws, for example), a charachter might want to focus on ranged attacking. That means he's completely reliant on that single spell, and has to get a way to have it cast on himself.
That's a really bad base for a charachter.
You could give that as a... +2? ranged weapon ability, that would be better (i think)

Amechra
2012-11-15, 05:31 PM
You could make it so that you can designate a square within the first range increment of your weapon, and then you can make melee attacks from that square using your ranged weapon (still getting any benefits that you had with your ranged weapon, of course.)

Zelkon
2012-11-15, 05:54 PM
You could make it so that you can designate a square within the first range increment of your weapon, and then you can make melee attacks from that square using your ranged weapon (still getting any benefits that you had with your ranged weapon, of course.)

This. This is by far the most elegant solution. As to the level, I think you could go as low as two. It'll be nice for Gishes who have feats and stuff that improve melee, but I don't see it as a huge advantage. I am undoubtedly missing something, though, so don't trust me.

gomipile
2012-11-15, 06:06 PM
It's kinda vague.
You should either:
a) State all interactions with other things (Can you help someone flank with it? Do you not incur in AoO because you're making melee attacks? Can you get Sneak attack from further than 30 feet? etc)
b) Just say " You can use manuevers with ranged attacks".

And anyway, that's not really an ability i would give to a spell:

Even not considering the stupid things (Throws, for example), a charachter might want to focus on ranged attacking. That means he's completely reliant on that single spell, and has to get a way to have it cast on himself.
That's a really bad base for a charachter.
You could give that as a... +2? ranged weapon ability, that would be better (i think)

Good point. I don't want it to be able to be used for flanking, sneak attacks past 30', etc. I do want it to still incur AOO. Basically, I want it to be a normal ranged attack in every way except that it counts as a melee attack for the purpose of effects that require melee attacks and for maneuvers.

Temotei
2012-11-15, 06:09 PM

I have to agree with this solution if you want to keep it being a spell.

As to the level, two, probably, maybe three.