PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with a Knight

chrisgray86
2012-11-15, 05:06 PM
Hey guys well my almighty dragon heart sorcerer died this last week I switched places with a dwarf via teleportation in our fight to save his life and wound up getting killed myself. So I get to reroll, I was thinking about a Knight but I saw the Death Knight and I really like it but I cant seem to figure out if its a Base class or a prestige class. In the book its listed as a prestige class but online its listed as a basic class. Any help and also any Ideas on the Knight Build if Death knight is a prestige class?

Aegis013
2012-11-15, 05:13 PM
In what book are you seeing Death Knight?

Also, if you're looking at a class on dandwiki.com make sure that at the bottom of the page it doesn't say you're in the Homebrew section. It can be very confusing for new users to distinguish what is official OGL content and what is Homebrew on that website. (I suspect this is why you're seeing it as a base class online)

chrisgray86
2012-11-15, 05:19 PM
In what book are you seeing Death Knight?

Also, if you're looking at a class on dandwiki.com make sure that at the bottom of the page it doesn't say you're in the Homebrew section. It can be very confusing for new users to distinguish what is official OGL content and what is Homebrew on that website. (I suspect this is why you're seeing it as a base class online)

Its listed as a Monster class in Monster manual 2 and I think its in players handbook 2 as a prestige class. And I think your right on the homebrew stuff is that where someone makes thier own stuff up?

Aegis013
2012-11-15, 05:30 PM
Its listed as a Monster class in Monster manual 2 and I think its in players handbook 2 as a prestige class. And I think your right on the homebrew stuff is that where someone makes thier own stuff up?

I see the issue then. It's not a Class or a Prestige Class. It's a monster, so if you wanted to play one, you'd take Death Knight as your Race (as backwards as that seems). I don't recommend taking it as a race as it has an awfully high Level Adjustment, which means your first 5 levels would effectively be taken up by your race, and you would only ever be able to advance to 15th level in any class.

Yes, Homebrew is user generated content, or stuff players/DMs made up.

If you want to play something along the lines of a Death Knight, Blackguard from the Dungeon Master's Guide has a similar feel to it. I'd be willing to help you make a character build, but there are some things I'll need to know about your game in order to cater my advice to your needs, such as what books are available in your game and what your fellow party members are playing (so that I can make sure you can compete with them without overshadowing them).

chrisgray86
2012-11-15, 06:17 PM
I see the issue then. It's not a Class or a Prestige Class. It's a monster, so if you wanted to play one, you'd take Death Knight as your Race (as backwards as that seems). I don't recommend taking it as a race as it has an awfully high Level Adjustment, which means your first 5 levels would effectively be taken up by your race, and you would only ever be able to advance to 15th level in any class.

Yes, Homebrew is user generated content, or stuff players/DMs made up.

If you want to play something along the lines of a Death Knight, Blackguard from the Dungeon Master's Guide has a similar feel to it. I'd be willing to help you make a character build, but there are some things I'll need to know about your game in order to cater my advice to your needs, such as what books are available in your game and what your fellow party members are playing (so that I can make sure you can compete with them without overshadowing them).

That would be great I would welcome the help. Sadly the blackguard wont work because we are all good in our quest and that class requires evil. Neutral is as evil as we can go

Aegis013
2012-11-15, 06:47 PM
Ok, so what books are available to you? I take it from your original post you want to play something with a Knight type feel to it.

Also, what are your fellow players playing, what level are you, and what kind of tactics are used? I don't want to give advice that will upset your game or get your DM to throw a book at you.

chrisgray86
2012-11-15, 06:59 PM
Ok, so what books are available to you? I take it from your original post you want to play something with a Knight type feel to it.

Also, what are your fellow players playing, what level are you, and what kind of tactics are used? I don't want to give advice that will upset your game or get your DM to throw a book at you.

3.5 is the set we use and I have most of the books in digital copy so I can look up just about anything. this is my first game my first character was a level 6 sorcerer level 2 dragon heart mage. We have a druid, cleric, monk, Dwarf, and elf archer. I am not sure what I want to be and any advice is welcome what is the dm gonna do Kill me oooppps already there. lol I was just thinking something different than a spell caster would be fun but we really kind of need that in our group I would think but again im new at this. the dm said be what you want to be so Im still kinda looking. Swordsage, duskblade, and Dragon Shamon cought my attention but again Im not really set on any perticular class I was just trying to find somthing that could be fun for the group as well as usefull

Aegis013
2012-11-15, 07:10 PM
I'm more familiar with Duskblade and Swordsage, both are great classes that will likely fit well into your group.

If you're doing Duskblade, I recommend something like:
Duskblade 13/Abjurant Champion 5/(Anything you want) 2
Feats should include Power Attack and Arcane Strike.

For Swordsage, you can do just take Swordsage from 1 to 20 and you'll be good. If you see a Prestige Class in Tome of Battle you think looks particularly good, you can probably get into it. There's a useful Swordsage handbook that's been under construction for awhile on this website. Feats you'll want will include Adaptive Style.

If you go Swordsage and go dexterity/two weapon fighting based, you'll want Weapon Finesse, and probably Shadow Blade feats as well.

juicycaboose
2012-11-15, 08:54 PM
If you want a Knight type character and like the maneuvers aspect of the swordsage, you could look at Crusader which is in the same book as swordsage.

gorfnab
2012-11-15, 11:32 PM
You could try the Bone Knight prestige class from Eberron: Five Nations.

chrisgray86
2012-11-16, 07:49 PM
If you want a Knight type character and like the maneuvers aspect of the swordsage, you could look at Crusader which is in the same book as swordsage.

I like the sound of the Dusk Blade but I am not really sure how these Stances and Maneuvers work. Do you think you could dumb it down for me?

chrisgray86
2012-11-16, 07:55 PM
You could try the Bone Knight prestige class from Eberron: Five Nations.

That class looks sweet btw!

gorfnab
2012-11-17, 11:50 PM
I like the sound of the Dusk Blade but I am not really sure how these Stances and Maneuvers work. Do you think you could dumb it down for me?
Tome of Battles for Dummies (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2030.0)

Alaris
2012-11-18, 04:05 AM
3.5 is the set we use and I have most of the books in digital copy so I can look up just about anything. this is my first game my first character was a level 6 sorcerer level 2 dragon heart mage. We have a druid, cleric, monk, Dwarf, and elf archer. I am not sure what I want to be and any advice is welcome what is the dm gonna do Kill me oooppps already there. lol I was just thinking something different than a spell caster would be fun but we really kind of need that in our group I would think but again im new at this. the dm said be what you want to be so Im still kinda looking. Swordsage, duskblade, and Dragon Shamon cought my attention but again Im not really set on any perticular class I was just trying to find somthing that could be fun for the group as well as usefull

Alright so... to clarify, the party currently has the following:

1x Druid
1x Cleric
1x Monk
1x Dwarf of Unknown Class
1x Elf Archer

With a now deceased Sorcerer. Well, with the power of both a Druid and a Cleric in the party, you guys don't need an Arcane Caster. You could do without.

So really, especially with what the DM said, you should play what you want. You want something fun as well as useful? Hmm... well, that can be any number of things really.

As recommended, Duskblade is a powerful melee class, and can mesh well with a few things. I don't know anything of Sword Sage, so I can't help you there.

Well, hrm... I know after my first character (a Cleric), I had trouble playing simpler classes like Knight, Fighter, etc. The options you have, and variety you have are more limited.

As far as party needs, looks like you guys lack a Rogue (for trapfinder, amongst other purposes), though I don't know how much 'dungeon-delving' you guys do in that game, so it may be entirely unnecessary.

Nonetheless, I think what needs to be done is... a decision in the general realm of what you want to do. Do you want to be a melee fighter, (a la Duskblade, Knight, Sword Sage), another Caster (like a Sorcerer, Wizard, etc), or something else?

After that, more help can be administered.