PDA

View Full Version : AVB - The Forgotten One

Pages : [1] 2

Rizban
2012-11-15, 06:18 PM
This thread is for Lexin and GM(s) only. Do not read it otherwise!

Moving northeast towards Guildsman, he sees numerous shops, a few fancier houses, and lots of places to spend money. The closer to Guildsman that he gets, the less fancy and more utilitarian the buildings become. Further down the road, the buildings appear to become workshops and smithies and the like rather than the retail shops, taverns, inns, and living spaces common in Midtown.

Lexin
2012-11-16, 08:40 AM
He stops for a second, absorbing the view... remembering it as well as possible. It is always useful to remember places...

He walks towards the workshops, looking around for a Guildhouse, or something similar to alchemist lab or a shop if the first is not around.

Rizban
2012-11-17, 02:28 PM
There are all manner of storefront selling things that make them worth entering if one has a need for their goods.

A list of the shops you have passed and taken note of today:
Eriz's Moon Shop
Leif Solvisson's Imports
Lukyan's Fine Ales, Wines, and Brews
Eystein's Eagles' Landing
Coolstoke Pendroke's
Orixe & Sons Florals
Valerik Leonideov and Magic
The Dancing Wizard
Pale Sea, Dark Brew, and a Bard
Cynric Birchwood's Fine Eatery
Lateef Zuberi and Friends
Magnild Demonman's Demon Fighting Imporium
Uriel's Supplies
Acennan the Wine Merchant
Seyyid's Darts
Arian the Warrior's General Goods
Brogan Wyrmseeker, Mapmaker Etraordinaire
Zivon the Elephant Tamer (and other exotic animals)

Lexin
2012-11-17, 02:32 PM
He checks some of them if they are alchemist- oriented.

(Starting from Valerik Leonideov and Magic)

If he finds one:

"Morning my good sir. I am new in the city and would like to know if there is a guild, organizing efforts of alchemists here, or do they all work independently?"

Rizban
2012-11-17, 06:00 PM
"Well, I've never heard of an alchemy guild, so I'd suspect they belong to one of the three major magic guilds in the city or maybe a trade guild or could be independent, I suppose. If you're interested in alchemical goods though, I'm certain I have just what you're looking for."

Lexin
2012-11-17, 06:08 PM
"Not this time I am afraid, but I will bear your offer in my mind and will surely come back here in subsequent days.
For now, thank you for your help."

He leaves the shop and wanders around the city, looking for a magic guild this time, preferably finding one which is open to psionic powers users.
As he doesn't know the city well, he begins looking from the academy mentioned by he guard in the Plaza.

Rizban
2012-11-17, 06:32 PM
Do he wander randomly about where he is or does he ask for directions while walking? Depending on what you do specifically determines entirely what happens next.

Lexin
2012-11-17, 06:37 PM
I thought he knew general directions from the guard. If not, he would ask somebody on the way.

Rizban
2012-11-17, 06:55 PM
You back track to the Plaza and then head north west in the direction of the university. You quickly find it to your left at the edge of Old Town just as you reach the walls surrounding the Nobles' Quarter. A large, wrought iron gate stands open in front of the campus, topped by a sign which reads "Aldhaven Royal University of Scientific Esoterica." It seems as if there is a student organization fair going on at this very moment. A large sign points the way to the registration office.

Lexin
2012-11-17, 07:06 PM
Lanakhad looks around for a while, with a bit confused expression. Finally he decides to check the registration office.
He enters and tries to find out as much as possible about this place. If there are written materials he looks through them, if not, he just check if there is an information office on the way, or just talks to people in registration office.

"Greetings, I am new in town and currently looking for an association gathering users of powers such as psionics or arcane. I was suggested that I could find one right here. Is that correct?"

Rizban
2012-11-17, 07:27 PM
The only people you can see inside the registration office are the students waiting in line to get into the lady's office doing the registration.

There is a small table near the door with a copy of a course catalogue chained to the table so that no one can steal it.

Lexin
2012-11-17, 07:45 PM
Students only, huh... Maybe I will open information center in this city, I would be filthy rich in no time...

He steps out once again, and finds one of the older students.
"Excuse me, could you tell me where I can find Magic Guild?"

Rizban
2012-11-17, 07:51 PM
"A magic guild? Well, you've got the Guild of Starlight and Shadows, The Arcane Order, The Blessed Bookkeepers, and The Videum Obscurom. Those are the four big ones."

Lexin
2012-11-17, 07:57 PM
"Oh, finally someone inormed. Hmm... do you perhaps know which of these would gladly accept psions, or included alchemy to their guild array of services?"
He asks with a smile.

Rizban
2012-11-17, 08:07 PM
"Well, The Arcane Order runs this university, but I don't know if they accept psions or not. I don't know of any psionic classes, so my guess would be not. I don't know much about the others, but I'd stay away from the Blessed. They're not a very welcoming lot and care only about their books.

Lexin
2012-11-18, 06:03 AM
"Thank you very much for your help, do you, perhaps, know where I can find the other two? I will find out about nature of their activities when I reach them, but it would be nice to know where to look..."

Rizban
2012-11-18, 04:51 PM
"The GoSS is based in Old Town. No one knows where The Videum Obscurum is located..."

Lexin
2012-11-18, 04:59 PM
"So. Some more walking for me, I suppose...Thank you very much for your help.
... one last thing, where can I find some office or headquarters of Arcane Order? Just in case I need it in the future..."

After obtaining this last piece of information he goes to Old Town and looks for the magic guild he just learned about.

Rizban
2012-11-19, 02:30 AM
"Uh, I'm pretty sure they're in Belelen Plaza in the Mages' Quarter. I really got to get going now..."

He turns and leaves before you can reply, rushing off towards one of the buildings.

Lexin
2012-11-19, 07:23 AM
And here I wanted to give him a silver for trouble... ehh, always in a hurry...

He puts the silver coin back to his pouch and walks towards Old Town, to try this place next.

Is the procedure of gaining citizenship/ buying a shop a common knowledge, or I should ask around about this too?

Rizban
2012-11-19, 07:37 AM
It's something you'll have to discover.Being already in Old Town, you wander out of the gate of the university and find yourself back of Mastiff's. The Plaza is a short walk to your right.

Lexin
2012-11-19, 07:46 AM
Oh, that's right. I am in the Old Town... I really need to get a map...

He tries to find some kid, who wants to earn 1 silver (shouldn't be too hard) for showing him the way to Guild of Starlight and Shadows.
As good place to start as any...

Rizban
2012-11-19, 07:50 AM
You spot a street urchin and approach him. He looks like he's about to run away from you.

Lexin
2012-11-19, 07:57 AM
"Hey kiddo, do you want to earn a silver for acting as a guide for me? I need to jump around few places, but it shouldn't take long."

He holds 2 coins (each worth 5 cp) when he says that.

Diplomacy [roll0]

And no, he would not follow if the kiddo leads him towards some dark alleys...

Rizban
2012-11-19, 08:03 AM
"Sure!"

The kid holds out his hand for the coins.I don't make you go anywhere. You don't ever have to tell me you're not going to do something. If the situation comes up, just don't do it. I never godmod your character, unless he's under magical compulsion, unconscious, incapacitated, or dead.

Lexin
2012-11-19, 08:12 AM
"One coin now, the other one after you lead me to the places I need to visit.
First is Guild of Starlight and Shadows."
H says and gives 1 of the coins to the kid.

Oh, okay. I will remember.

Rizban
2012-11-19, 08:13 AM
He starts to walk slowly toward the north. Suddenly, clutching the coin tightly, he darts down an alley and out of sight. You seem to have lost your guide...

Lexin
2012-11-19, 08:18 AM
I kind of expected this... I hoped that greed would get him to work for a minute... nice town that is...
Oh well...

He looks around for some other source of information, preferably a guard or street merchant.

*sight* "Excuse me, sir. Could you tell me where I can find Guild of Starlight and Shadows?"

Just to know for the future. Would any of:
Charm / Suggestion/ Telekinesis
Be a legally accepted way to catch the thief?

Rizban
2012-11-19, 08:23 AM
Yes and No. It really depends on how you do it as to whether or not it's illegal. There are very few things that are outright illegal; however, using them in certain situations are illegal. The laws are varied and nuanced and hard for outsiders to grasp without spending excessive amounts of time studying them. People who grow up in the city just kind of learn how things are as they grow up.You spot a member of the City Watch and ask him.

"Yeah, just head back toward the Plaza. There will be a cul de sac on your left in about a block. The Guild is in there. Tall tower, looks out of place. You can't miss it."

Lexin
2012-11-19, 08:30 AM
"Thank you very much." He says with a polite nod and walks, following the directions.

So more or less, I can try and will learn later... sounds fun :smalltongue:

I thought about using telekinesis to hold him in the air, and couldn't run away.

Rizban
2012-11-19, 09:01 AM
The entrance is a narrow alley between two buildings; however, you can see it open into a large paved courtyard not far beyond.

Inside, you immediately see a strange building built of dark stone with a low wall around it. The tall should be visible from the street, but isn't. From here though, it almost dominates the sky. This is, quite obviously, the sanctum of The Guild of Starlight and Shadows.

Lexin
2012-11-19, 09:04 AM
...this is both scary and impressive...
He walks closer to the tower, looking for an entrance or anyone he could ask for information about this place.

Rizban
2012-11-19, 09:08 AM
There is a large, obvious front door. It stands open. There are no other apparent entrances.

Lexin
2012-11-19, 09:12 AM
Lanakhad shrugs and enters.

Couldn't hold back...
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp227/subaru421/Inception-Deeper.jpg

Rizban
2012-11-19, 03:15 PM
The main room of the Guild is more of a common seating area than anything else. There are several couches, tables, and other places to relax. Large open doors lead out into the courtyard behind the wall.

The moment you enter, you are stopped by a female elf sitting at a desk to your left.

"Welcome to the Guild of Starlight and Shadows. May I help you?"

Lexin
2012-11-19, 04:31 PM
Oh... this is a nice place...

He turns to the woman
"Good day to you. I am new in the city and in need of association, would you care to tell me about the Guild and what is expected of it's members?" He asks with a smile.

Rizban
2012-11-19, 08:16 PM
"We are dedicated to supporting our members in their magical endeavors, helping them to obtain the proper permits and licenses in the city and wider kingdom, and in protecting them legally should charges of some kind be filed. We also work to encourage the research and development of magical knowledge, particularly as it pertains to the creation of magical items.

There is a 1,000gp application fee. You must pay that fee each time you apply should you fail to meet standards on your first application. Annual dues for members are based upon your magical abilities and your ability to acquire income.

Additional benefits include a small apartment within the sanctum, should you need a place to live, a centralized place to sell your spellcasting services where customers know to seek such, a discount on material components and crafting materials, as well as access to our order's arcane library."Annual dues are 250gp per caster level. Income based dues are equal to 10% of all profit made from selling spellcasting and selling self-crafted magic items or magic item crafting services.

Lexin
2012-11-20, 06:54 AM
"Some things I need to ask about... Do you accept psionic powers manifesters?
Is there an access to proper crafting or alchemical lab included in the services?
What are the 'standards of application'?"

Hmm, are you using pathfinder no-exp crafting?
Otherwise it would be hard to craft anything as you mentioned yourself that you rarely give any xp...

Rizban
2012-11-20, 08:23 AM
"Indeed, we do.

You may use the on site laboratory for a small fee, provided it is not currently in use. There is a schedule sheet available outside each lab where you can obtain a time.

I'm afraid that if you have to ask what the standards are, then you likely do not meet them. We admit only competent practitioners."

The only modifications to the rules on crafting are in the recruitment thread with the rest of the rules.

Lexin
2012-11-20, 08:35 AM
"Still, a competent practitioner wouldn't jump into something without preparation. This is gambling. I am asking not because I am afraid that my abilities don't meet your standards. But if you, for example require citizenship, then I would prefer to know this and go apply for this right before applying here.
Unless you wish to tell me that this guild gathers gamblers and people who don't think twice before they do something..."

Hmm, so crafters would never level up here?
Or is there a stable and reasonable way to get xp? Not involving near-death experiences?

Rizban
2012-11-20, 10:42 AM
"Not at all. It's just that the requirements are so simple that anyone who can't figure them out for himself is simply unfit."There are lots of ways to gain XP. There will be enough.

Lexin
2012-11-20, 12:43 PM
A guild this big shouldn't make citizenship a requirement, it would limit their own growth... Could as well give it a try...

After a while he nods, more to himself than anyone else.

"Okay then, where can I apply?"

Rizban
2012-11-20, 04:26 PM
"Provide a bank check worth 1,000, and I'll give you the forms to fill out."

Lexin
2012-11-20, 04:35 PM
"I see, I will be back later then..."

I need to get a bank account...

"Thank you for your time."
He bows slightly and goes back, walking towards Plaza. On the way he tries to find a guard (again) and asks.

"Excuse me. Could you tell me where and how can I become a citizen of this beautiful city?
I would also appreciate if you told me something about banks in this city, which one would you recommend and where can I find it."

Rizban
2012-11-21, 12:17 AM
"One bank is as good as the next, I guess. There's one just right around the corner down that road." He points to the east towards the Plaza.

"Citizenship, now that isn't so easy. You've got to prove suitability and willingness to work, be a contributing member of society, have no criminal record, and you have to have a current citizen of good standing to vouch for you, which isn't easy to come by. See, if you screw up during your first year as a citizen, then whoever vouched for you suffers the same legal penalties that you do. So, not many people are willing to vouch for someone.

Aside from all that, the paperwork is actually quite easy and the fee is nominal."

Lexin
2012-11-21, 07:57 AM
"I see. He bows politely Thank you for your help, sir."

He goes to the bank this time, just the one suggested by the guard.

(is it still Old Town?)

He goes inside and tries to find a line, where he could open an account.

Rizban
2012-11-21, 08:21 AM
Yes, you're still in Old Town.This bank is called Gold Trust.

A woman at a desk near the door stops you just as you enter.

"May I be of assistance?"

Lexin
2012-11-21, 08:40 AM
"Hello, I would like to open an account, could you tell me what does this bank offer to its customers?"

Rizban
2012-11-21, 05:54 PM
"Well, yes, of course. We offer safe, secure vaults with excellent defenses against incursion, both magical and mundane, capable of storing and protecting anything you need stored. We have agreements with the other banks to allow transfer of funds so that you can withdraw and deposit your coin at any location. We also provide transfer notes to third parties at no charge.

Obtaining an account is simple. We just need a legal form of identification and some basic information from you as well as a 100 gold minimum starting balance."

Lexin
2012-11-21, 06:19 PM
"Legal form of identification? Some kind of legal document?

Also I would like to know what are current interest rates on deposits, and banks policy and terms of credits."

Rizban
2012-11-21, 09:12 PM
"That would work, yes. We just need something to verify your identity such that we do not give access to your account to the wrong person in the future. It's a standard safety precaution."

She raises one eyebrow.

"Interest applies only to loans. I do not know of any bank that pays you for the privilege of storing your money."

Lexin
2012-11-22, 06:09 AM
Do I have any legal document? I would assume yes, but it is better to ask...

And about banking here (you don't really need to read this)
Arghh!
GRRRRRRRRR! Arghtr!
:thog:
:belkar:
:roy:
:xykon:
... you do realize that these banks would go bankrupt really really fast...
(Sorry... finance major...)

Rizban
2012-11-23, 12:23 PM
Yes, I would assume you have some form of identification, even if you're not a citizen. I'll let you decide what, specifically, you have.

1Under modern banking models, yes they would. You can think of banks in Aldhaven working more along the lines of a loan shark that also offers safety deposit boxes and free online transactions. Banks here usually also offer a number of other services that the receptionist hasn't mentioned to you that real-world banks do not.

Also, most people in Aldhaven don't own the homes they live in. Usually, they're owned by one of the banks, which collects regular rent from them.

In short, they're not much like real-world banks at all...

It would be pretty cool though if we could sit down on a chat program (MSN/Yahoo/AIM/Skype/etc.) to work out more specifics on how banks work in AVB that would make more sense from a finance perspective...

Lexin
2012-11-23, 12:41 PM
Lanakhad stops for a while with a frown on his face as he hears about the interest... although he thinks that he would have better ways to use money than just letting it stay in someone else's hands...

He takes out his proof of apprenticeship and asks "Would this be enough?"

Under modern banking models, yes they would. You can think of banks in Aldhaven working more along the lines of a loan shark that also offers safety deposit boxes and free online transactions. Banks here usually also offer a number of other services that the receptionist hasn't mentioned to you that real-world banks do not.
Not really, most profits of both loan sharks and banks are loans/credits. But to lend money, you need to get it from somewhere. Loan sharks are small in their area of work, so they could use their own money, or quite often get it from illegal sources. Banks are too huge to use their own money, so they need to get it from somewhere- deposits. If they didn't pay for deposits, nobody would give it to them.

It would be pretty cool though if we could sit down on a chat program (MSN/Yahoo/AIM/Skype/etc.) to work out more specifics on how banks work in AVB that would make more sense from a finance perspective...
I don't want to cause trouble to you.
But if you want - Pirate Pad (http://piratepad.net/FYEZG1RkOT)

Rizban
2012-11-23, 01:01 PM
She looks over it then nods and smiles at you.

"Yes, of course. This will work just fine."

She digs out a sheet of paper from her desk and hands it to you. It's a simple form asking a few simple questions, such as name, address, and the like.

"Fill this out, and I'll get you setup with someone who can help you get your account opened."

Lexin
2012-11-23, 01:29 PM
He fills the document, comes back.

"Ready, where should I go next?"

Rizban
2012-11-23, 02:16 PM
"Just have a seat until we call for you. You'll have to wait until an associate is available."

After about 10 minutes, the receptionist motion to you and directs you to a side office. Inside, you meet with a stout man.

"So, you wanted to setup a savings account, huh? Well, let's see if you've got your paperwork filled out correctly and go from there. Shall we?"

Lexin
2012-11-23, 02:21 PM
"Yes. Of course." says Lanakhad, handing him the papers.

Rizban
2012-11-23, 04:12 PM
He checks your paperwork, looks over your id, and gets your account setup.

"How much are you wanting to deposit?"

Lexin
2012-11-23, 04:44 PM
He is quiet for a while, then says.
"Three thousand."

Rizban
2012-11-24, 04:14 PM
"Good, good. I'll take the money and get yor account started. Any questions?"

Lexin
2012-11-24, 04:23 PM
"Yes, quite a few I must say...
What is the interest on loans and what amount of money could be taken as loan?
How do I access my account?
Do I get a checkbook somewhere here?"

Rizban
2012-11-25, 01:02 AM
"Interest runs between two and ten percent, depending on the purpose of the loan and your own credibility. Riskier loans or people have needfully higher interest. The amount is based on the purpose as well as the collateral provided.

If, for example, you wished to take a loan to better equip yourself for raiding a dragon's hoard, the amount would be low and the interest high. The risk is far too great to invest too much into it. On the other hand, if you're trying to expand your store to reach more customers, we can provide larger sums at much more reasonable rates, especially since we can hold your building and inventory as collateral should the need arise.

To access your account, you just need to show your identification at any bank in the city, provide your account number, and be verified. You can then make deposits and withdrawals anywhere.

Check... book? I'm not sure what that would be. Checks are created on an as needed basis. We produce them and magically protect them so that they cannot be altered or forged. We can, however, produce them with fixed amounts and blank payee fields if you like. Do note, however, that any time you have a check issued, the gold amount of the check is removed from your account and placed into what is essentially an escrow account until such time as the check is cashed by the payee or returned and canceled by you."In other words, the only checks offered by banks in Aldhaven are cashier's checks. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashier's_check)

Lexin
2012-11-25, 08:09 AM
"Hmm, I see.
I do need a check prepared, can I get one here, or should I ask somewhere else?"

Rizban
2012-11-25, 08:49 PM
"I can handle it for you. In the future, you may ask any bank associate with whom you are dealing to prepare one for you."

He writes the check out to your specifications and applies the magical notarization which validates it and prevents it from being altered.In the future, you can just say you acquire a check without having to role play it out, assuming you are where you can safely visit a bank and have time to do so.

Lexin
2012-11-26, 05:42 AM
"Thank you for your help."

Lanakhad leaves the building and first tries to find out for a while what would include this whole application to the guild.

Gather information [roll0]
time [roll1]

(if the first one took less than 4 hours)

Gather information [roll2]
time [roll3]

Rizban
2012-11-26, 06:37 AM
You manage to find one of the guildmembers as he is approaching the sanctum. After inquiring of him, he says, "Wow, you're really stressing out about this, huh? Seriously, just calm down a bit. They just want to know your skills, ask you a few questions, make sure you'll contribute to the order. It's not that big a deal. If you aren't running from the law and have a modicum of magical talent, you're in."

Lexin
2012-11-26, 06:47 AM
"Oh. Thanks. I was worried for a while."
He bows as he says his thanks and goes back to the tower of the guild.

"Hello again, I would like to apply for a position in the guild."

Rizban
2012-11-26, 12:45 PM
She smiles.

"I'm glad you came back.

I'll need your payment, and you'll need to fill out this application."

The receptionist pulls a stack of 3 or 4 pages from a drawer in her desk and hands them to you after you give her the check.

Lexin
2012-11-26, 12:53 PM
Lanakhad gives her the check and starts filling the documents.
Unless there are points like 'I sell my soul to the guild' etc. he fills them all and goes back to the receptionist.

"All ready, what now?"

Rizban
2012-11-26, 10:06 PM
One short time skip later, you find yourself before a trio of senior members of the Guild.

"Please explain your abilities to us."

Lexin
2012-11-27, 04:19 AM
He speaks in clear voice
"I am a telepath and thus focus on powers that affect the mind. I am quite accomplished in this field, but learned also to wield the basic powers of telekinesis, energy manipulation and energy disruption, dispel I mean. I also learned how to craft psionic items, of the universal kind and am quite accomplished alchemist."

Rizban
2012-11-27, 12:31 PM
"It seems that you have a nice range of interests and abilities. Tell me, what do you see yourself contributing to the Guild? How will you enhance the Guild as a group by your joining?"

Lexin
2012-11-27, 12:52 PM
This time he takes some time before answering.
"I suppose that by my work as a crafter I would be able to bring financial benefits to the guild. That would, at least be the major part of my contribution.
I was also taught how to handle some diplomatic duties, so I could help with interactions with others in the City, at least after I get to know it better."

Rizban
2012-11-27, 01:17 PM
"And where do you see yourself in two years?"

Lexin
2012-11-27, 01:30 PM
"Two years is a bit of time, but I am not going to rush too much. I would say that I would contribute to the guild so I would be a valued member. Hopefully I would earn a higher rank in the guild through my work, possibly connected to finding and dealing with suppliers.
Other than that, I am planning to open an alchemy shop, possibly expanding the business in the future... and I was thinking about getting an apprentice. The last one would need to wait for now, though."

Rizban
2012-11-27, 01:32 PM
They ask a few more generic questions and let you know they'll have a decision for you in the morning. The cordially shake your hand as you get up to leave.

Lexin
2012-11-27, 01:39 PM
Lanakhad bows politely as he leaves. He goes back through the dark alley looking slightly flabbergasted... he expected something else of this whole mysterious application process...
Now, hopefully I didn't just throw away a thousand gold...

Having such happy thoughts he finds a guard (again) and asks:
"Excuse me, sir. Could you tell me where, in vicinity could I find a reasonable inn... hopefully with good meals?"

Rizban
2012-11-27, 01:47 PM
"Well, you've got the Sad Flint over in the Plaza, there's The Serpent and Fox in Belelen that I hear is pretty good, or you could try The Bare Boar just north of here near Rivergate."

Lexin
2012-11-27, 02:12 PM
"Thank you."

Taking into account that he at least knows where is Plaza (and Sad Flint Inn) he decides to go just there.
When inside he orders a meal, asks about prices and looks around if anyone was looking for a hired help (he wouldn't probably use this information just yet, but it is better to know anyway).

Rizban
2012-11-27, 02:22 PM
The interior of the Sad Flint is quite crowded. People are coming and going all over the rather large barroom. Patrons of any possible description abound, most content to drink the beers in their hands. No one bothers to turn their head when yet another patron walks in. The atmosphere of the place is slightly dingy, but comfortable.

A lone half-giant is serving as the bartender at the long bar across from the entrance. Round tables with an average of four chairs each litter the common area, although several have borrowed chairs from others nearby. More than half of them seem occupied by patrons of some description and number. A pair of armored bouncers guard a double door along the west wall.

Barmaids of many different races weave in and out of the traffic, delivering food and drinks, as well as picking up empty crockery and more than a few pick-up lines.

Lexin
2012-11-27, 02:39 PM
Lanakhad sits at one of the unoccupied tables and tries to attract attention of one of barmaids. If he manages to do so, he says.
"I would like to eat something, could you tell me what is in the offer?"

Rizban
2012-11-27, 03:09 PM
"This evening, we have stewed mutton and turnips, dried crab with lettuce, and poached shark with spicy mustard and currants."

Lexin
2012-11-27, 03:33 PM
"Hmm, I would have shark then. And some ale to that. How much would that be?"

Rizban
2012-11-28, 12:11 AM
"Four gold, sir, unless you want a finer ale."

Lexin
2012-11-28, 05:59 AM
"N... wait, yes, please."
He prepares the money, eats and asks.
"Who should I talk to, if I wanted to get a room for the night? And how much would one cost?"
Sense motive, to see if the price shouldn't be in silver...
[roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-28, 10:01 AM
"Was that the grog or the fine ale you wanted, sir? The shark and grog is four gold. The finer ale adds another one, making it five. Our best ale would bring the price up to eight. It's your choice."
You believe she is quoting you accurate prices.

Lexin
2012-11-28, 10:05 AM
"I would take the fine ale." He says preparing 5 gold.
"And the rooms?"

Rizban
2012-11-28, 10:14 AM
"Oh, you'll have to talk to the barkeep about that. He handles them. I think a basic room is five a night though."

Lexin
2012-11-28, 10:33 AM
"Thanks."
He pays for the food, finishes his meal and walks to the barkeep.

"Hello, I would like to rent a room for a night, how much would it be?"

Quite expensive city... or a poor Sense Motive roll...

For the future reference, is it possible to skip roleplaying getting food/ rooms?
I fell like I am too interested in what will happen with the Guild to focus adequately on conversation with barmaids...

Rizban
2012-11-28, 11:50 AM
He looks at you a second then says, "Five gold a night."

After you pay, he places a crystal disk on the counter, saying, "Put your hand on this."

Lexin
2012-11-28, 11:52 AM
"Okay..." He says with a shrug and does so.

Rizban
2012-11-28, 11:53 AM
Yeah. That's fine.

The Sad Flint is expensive, because it's the big tourist attraction and has good enough fare to get the price.

One gold per day will cover all of your meals, assuming you eat cheap foods elsewhere and drink only water.The crystal glows for a second.

"You're on the second floor. Room 281."

He points to the stairs with one hand as he places the disk back underneath the counter.

Lexin
2012-11-28, 12:05 PM
He nods and says "Thank you." as he goes to his room.
He looks around the room... and leaves his psicrystal near the door as an improvised alarm. Just in case...
If nothing strange happens during the night, he sleeps till around 7.30 am, to get back to the Guild's tower at 8 am.

Ah, okay. I will know next time.
Is there enough time for one more gather information check, so he still gets 8h sleep?
If yes : Gather Info (Most Known Alchemists in the city) [roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-28, 12:11 PM
The door to the room has neither handle nor lock that you can recognize. In the center of the door, however, there is a single crystal disk like the one from the bar. Touching it causes your door to open.

It opens onto a 10 x 15 room. There is a bed, a chest of drawers, and a large wooden chest that doubles as a nightstand. There's a rug on the floor and a single small window that lets in light.

http://www.mornproductions.com/images/AVB/SadFlint/SingleBedroom.png
That depends entirely on what time you intend to wake up.

Lexin
2012-11-28, 12:19 PM
As mentioned in previous post 7.30 am... although I don't think a result of 3 would bring anything anyway...

"Good enough." he says as he enters the room.

He sleeps till around 7.30 am. Cleans and wears fresh, elegant clothes. He stops to eat something on the way and walks back to the Guild's tower.

Rizban
2012-11-28, 12:30 PM
A man sits at the receptionist's desk this morning.

"Good morning! May I help you?"

Lexin
2012-11-28, 12:38 PM
"Good morning. I applied for a position in the guild yesterday and was told to come today to see the result."

Rizban
2012-11-28, 02:22 PM
"Alrighty then. What is your name, sir? I'll look it up right away to see if I've got anything."

After telling him, he looks through his paperwork.

"I'm sorry, I don't have anything here. They either haven't decided yet or haven't sent me a copy of the decision. You'll either have to wait until you're contacted or let me send a runner to inquire."

Lexin
2012-11-28, 03:28 PM
"I guess I will wait for now."

At least for some time.

Just in case
Sense motive (if he is lying) [roll0]

Rizban
2012-11-28, 11:46 PM
He seems to be telling the truth about not having it and about the higher ups not always sending him notes about their decisions.

Lexin
2012-11-29, 05:46 AM
In this case he waits for about an hour. If there still is no information by that time, he asks the receptionist to sent the runner.

Rizban
2012-11-29, 06:13 AM
The runner returns shortly after and says, "Yep, they say you're in. They're just waiting to get the records updated a membership card written out for you."

Lexin
2012-11-29, 07:34 AM
"Oh, good. Should I sign anything, or just wait?" he says a bit relieved.

Rizban
2012-11-29, 08:03 AM
"I don't know. That's all they told me..."

The runner seems genuinely clueless, and being only about 11, he didn't think to ask any questions other than what he was told to ask.

Lexin
2012-11-29, 08:40 AM
"Thanks."

He turns to the receptionist this time and says exactly the same thing as before, maybe more confused than relieved this time though.
Why the hell did I say that to the runner? he thinks for a second, before speaking to the receptionist.

"It seems that I am in, should I sign anything, or simply wait till this information reaches you?"

Rizban
2012-11-29, 08:51 AM
"Well, since you already know, there's not much left to do. We'll have a courier deliver your membership card to the address you provided on your application. You can sign it when you get it.

Oh! And they like to have a little ceremony for all the new members at the end of each month. So, you don't want to miss that."

He checks the calender.

"Yep, about two weeks from now."

Lexin
2012-11-29, 08:58 AM
"Hmm, since I have only temporary address in this city, would it be possible for me to just receive the card in person? For example later today?
I was also told that a small apartment would be available for guild members, who should I see to arrange that?"

Rizban
2012-11-29, 09:23 AM
"Ah, well, I'm afraid that's part of the paperwork they're working out. If you indicated that you needed one as a permanent residence, then that's probably the cause for the delay."

Lexin
2012-11-29, 09:30 AM
"Oh, that explains everything. Do you, perhaps know how long could it take? Hours... days?"

Rizban
2012-11-29, 11:10 AM
"They should know by this afternoon. I'll also make sure your card is held for you here, if you want to go take care of other business and pick it up later."

Lexin
2012-11-29, 11:25 AM
"Okay, thank you." he says with a nod and goes out.

He walks around the Old Town, trying to find some kind of Real Estate merchant, trying to find out what are the typical prices of small buildings in the city.

Rizban
2012-11-29, 12:29 PM
Two hours later, he finds just such a merchant. Unfortunately, he is informed that only registered citizens may own land.

Lexin
2012-11-29, 12:42 PM
He remembers the place just in case and tries to find out what would be an average price of a small shop, near the center of the city.

After that he asks around to see, who are the main alchemy merchants in the city and which guild (if any) do they belong to.

I assume it would be Gather information check.
... it is around 11 am, by my calculations, so I have some time.
Gather information [roll0]
time [roll1]

Rizban
2012-11-29, 01:45 PM
He discovers that an average small shop that is only about a 20 ft x 20 ft store front with no other amenities near the center of town averages about 13,000.00 gp.

There is no centralized alchemy guild. Alchemists belong to either one of the magical guilds or a merchant guild, if they belong to a guild at all.

Lexin
2012-11-29, 01:59 PM
I didn't mean alchemy guild.
I was looking for potential competition, checking for guilds to see which of them could be future allies (the same guild as me) or enemies (other guilds).

... and man, that's expensive! :smalltongue:

If I craft something and sell it through guild's merchants I get 50% of the market price, or some more? 100% - city tax and guild fee? ... around 80%-70%?

How common is the magic in this setting? If, for example I wanted to hire someone to Planar Bind a creature, would it be possible, or is it to high-level magic?

Sorry for the wall of questions, but I am thinking about other ways to spend time, other than crafting things and selling them...

Edit: Ah, for some reason I thought about it just now. How much for renting such building, instead of buying it?

Rizban
2012-11-29, 02:37 PM
I didn't mean alchemy guild.
I was looking for potential competition, checking for guilds to see which of them could be future allies (the same guild as me) or enemies (other guilds).Ah, sorry. I wasn't entirely clear on that. I'll have to wait until I get home and have better note access to give you the right information on that.

... and man, that's expensive! :smalltongue:Yep.

If I craft something and sell it through guild's merchants I get 50% of the market price, or some more? 100% - city tax and guild fee? ... around 80%-70%?It depends on the deal you work out. You'll have to RP it.

How common is the magic in this setting? If, for example I wanted to hire someone to Planar Bind a creature, would it be possible, or is it to high-level magic?Common enough that you could find such a caster if you looked. Actually convincing them to do it might not be so easy.

Sorry for the wall of questions, but I am thinking about other ways to spend time, other than crafting things and selling them...NP

Edit: Ah, for some reason I thought about it just now. How much for renting such building, instead of buying it?
It depends on the deal you work out. You'll have to RP it.

Lexin
2012-11-29, 02:50 PM
After obtaining the basic information about the city, Lanakhad couldn't do much more for now. Everything in order, and the next thing in line, was getting the guild membership business done.
With these thoughts and the seeds of some devious plans for the future he walks back to the Guild Tower.

"Hello again, is my guild card ready?" he asks with a smile. (He says it in different way, if there is a different receptionist, explaining the case first.)

Rizban
2012-11-29, 10:59 PM
The moment you enter, you see the woman from the previous day. She sees you and smiles broadly.

"You made it! Welcome to the Guild. They left your card here for you. I was wondering when you'd come by."

Lexin
2012-11-30, 05:38 AM
"Thank you very much. Actually I've checked earlier, but it wasn't ready yet.
So, is there something like a tour for new members?"
He says smiling back.

Rizban
2012-11-30, 03:33 PM
"There's no official one, but if you talk to one of the members who isn't busy, I'm sure they'll show you around."

Lexin
2012-11-30, 03:40 PM
"I will ask around. Anything else you can tell me? I have a few things I would like to know.

Could you tell me where can I find guild provided apartment?
Would the Guild help with the process of gaining citizenship? If yes, who should I talk to?
Could you tell me something about the high rank members of the guild? Maybe who to talk to see if they have an extra job for me... and who to avoid?

I would be grateful."

Diplomancy!
[roll0]
And (of course) I rolled 1 :smalltongue:

Rizban
2012-12-03, 01:12 AM
"Not really....

The number for your quarters is located on the back of your card. Whoever you get to show you around should be able to find it.

I'm sorry, but the Guild does not sponsor anyone for citizenship. The risks involved are too high to warrant official support.

Sorry, no, that's above my pay grade."

Lexin
2012-12-03, 04:36 AM
"Oh, I see. Thanks anyway." he says with a slight disappointment in his voice.

When they said they offer assistance in legal affairs I thought it would include citizenship... too easy I guess. he thinks as he walks further inside, looking for someone who would give him a tour.

Rizban
2012-12-03, 07:44 AM
"I noticed that your face fell when I mentioned citizenship. I'd really like to be able to help, but the laws here make it too risky for official sponsorship. I'm sure you can find someone willing to help walk you through the process though.

See, it's just that, to become a citizen, you have to have a current citizen in good standing and prominent character or a chartered organization of the same to vouch for you as an individual. For the next year, any legal trouble you get into, the punishment applied to you is applied equally severely to the person or organization who sponsored your citizenship. Unfortunately, it's just too risky for the Guild to officially vouch for someone, particularly a new member that we do not know well. That's why the policy exists."

She seems to be completely earnest with you.

Lexin
2012-12-03, 07:47 AM
"So should I look for an individual person who would vouch for me? It could prove difficult, I don't know anyone here..."

Rizban
2012-12-03, 07:59 AM
"Your best bet then is to make some friends and stay out of trouble. There's probably a few people here who would vouch for you as an individual if you prove yourself to them.

As much as I like you though, I won't do it. I've got a family I have to take care of, and I can't put them at risk."

Lexin
2012-12-03, 08:02 AM
He nods politely "Thank you for all the help." he says with a smile and goes to find someone to give him a tour.

Rizban
2012-12-03, 09:37 AM
He comes across four people who don't look too busy.

A kid who appears to be about 12 years old with gray-blonde hair. He is attempting to juggle.
A woman who has large dark gray eyes, close-set features, ashen skin and medium length wavy medium brown hair. She is walking slowly while looking at the architecture.
A man with straight fiery red hair, a tall, lanky build and light green eyes. He seems confident and very strong. He is reading a book.
A slightly older man who appears to have replaced large portions of his body with mechanical equivalents. He is accompanied by a construct "dog" with wings. He is adjusting something on one mechanical arm with a screwdriver built into the finger of his other hand.

Lexin
2012-12-03, 09:48 AM
Let's try nr 2...

"Excuse me Miss, I am new to the guild and was told that there is a chance for other members to give me a tour around the place. Could you spare me some of your time for that... or at least suggest someone else?" He asks politely with a smile.

Rizban
2012-12-03, 01:58 PM
"Do you like these vaulted ceilings?"

Lexin
2012-12-03, 02:02 PM
He frowns looks at the ceiling and says "Yes... I suppose I do." He says with a shrug.

... Did I just sign up for voluntary mental asylum? :smalltongue:

Rizban
2012-12-03, 06:53 PM
"Yes, well, had they let me design them, they would actually be worth discussing. See that arch over there? It's all wrong! The capstone should have been three inches lower and the base a half inch narrower. It would have allowed for far better mana channeling through the entire structure. As it is, it's practically a choke point hampering my research. Pitiful, really."

Lexin
2012-12-04, 05:05 AM
"Umm, I see. How long ago was it built?" he says still a bit confused...

Rizban
2012-12-06, 10:24 AM
"Oh, I don't know! That doesn't matter! What matters is that it was built wrong. Whoever designed this had no sense of natural mana flow."

Lexin
2012-12-06, 10:32 AM
"I just thought that long ago, the local sources of energy might have been in different places, so the building was built to take it into account... Also the pure movement of earth below us could affect the structure over the years. ... I would say that it does matter then.
Other than that, didn't you think about changing the structure with magic to allow better mana flow, or would it require to much power? I don't know how well this building is protected from magical influence, but I know that if the protection in not too strong, then making slight changes in stonework is relatively easy."

Rizban
2012-12-06, 10:51 AM
She looks at you incredulously.

"What are you? Some sort of geologist or architect?"

Lexin
2012-12-06, 10:54 AM
"I am afraid not. Not a dedicated one at least... I dabble a bit in different subjects.
Pleasure to meet you by the way, I am Lanakhad." He says bowing politely.

Rizban
2012-12-06, 11:24 AM
"Well, Lanakhad, I am a master of arcanogeologic studies and a well qualified architect. So don't try to dictate my own specialties to me!"

Lexin
2012-12-06, 11:43 AM
"I apologize then. As I said I am quite new here and thought I might be able to help. Were I to know you are such a prominent figure I wouldn't try to insult you with my limited apprehending of the subject." He answers calmly.
"If you are willing to continue the conversation, I would be more than happy to learn more on the subject, so I won't be considered as ignorant in the future. On the other hand, if you consider my presence a hindrance, I would stop interrupting you with it and go away."
He adds with another polite nod.

Rizban
2012-12-06, 11:52 AM
She seems a bit mollified, if still irritated.

"Very well, but you would do well not to speak on things you know nothing about in the future.

Now, if you want to learn from me, you're welcome to apply to be tutored, but it isn't free.

Now, if there's nothing else important, I really should finish compiling my list of changed necessary to the architecture of this building."

Lexin
2012-12-06, 11:59 AM
"Of course. I will leave you to your duties. Thank you for your time." He says backing away.

Nice beginning. he thinks as he looks for someone else At least I didn't choose a boring guild. he smiles at this thought.

Is there someone new around, or still the same group?

Rizban
2012-12-06, 12:27 PM
The kid attempting to juggle has moved on and is no longer around.

Two new people have arrived.

A kid who appears to be about 12 years old with gray-blonde hair. He is attempting to juggle. Gone.
A woman who has large dark gray eyes, close-set features, ashen skin and medium length wavy medium brown hair. She is walking slowly while looking at the architecture. She seems irritated with you.
A man with straight fiery red hair, a tall, lanky build and light green eyes. He seems confident and very strong. He is reading a book.
A slightly older man who appears to have replaced large portions of his body with mechanical equivalents. He is accompanied by a construct "dog" with wings. He is adjusting something on one mechanical arm with a screwdriver built into the finger of his other hand.

A man with a pierced lip with 6 rings through it and bronze skin. His clothing is expensive silk swathed loosely about his body, revealing lots of skin and bedecked with expensive but gaudy jeweled bugs.
A girl of about 19 who has fair skin and short fiery red hair. She seems to have been listening in on your conversation but pretending to examine a painting.

Lexin
2012-12-06, 12:54 PM
Lanakhad walks to see the painting too and talks to the eavesdropping girl without turning to her.

"How about you? Would you be so kind to give a new member a tour around the guild?" He asks in quiet voice.

Rizban
2012-12-06, 12:57 PM
Her face goes pale, and she quickly dashes away and around a corner before you can react.

Lexin
2012-12-06, 01:04 PM
Lanakhad remembers the girl, so maybe he would try to talk to her later.

Lanakhad rolls his eyes and for a moment has a look on his face saying more or less 'Am I the only sane person in this building'.

Last try. he thinks as he walks towards the man reading a book.

"Excuse me, I am new to the guild, my name is Lanakhad. Would you mind showing me around? If you are not too busy that is." He still sounds calm and polite... though he is coming closer to the edge.

Rizban
2012-12-06, 01:42 PM
He slams the book shut and glares at you. A few uncomfortable seconds pass before he grins.

"Ah! New blood! Delicious!"

Lexin
2012-12-06, 01:45 PM
Lanakhad barely manages to bite his tongue before saying: "Not sure, I didn't try it."

And settles on this instead: "Does it mean that you would show me around?" he says, hope ringing shyly in his voice.

Rizban
2012-12-06, 02:58 PM
"Yeah, sure. There's the couches, and that's the stairs, and out there is the courtyard, and over there is the greeter and front door. Anything else you wanted to see?"

Lexin
2012-12-06, 03:03 PM
"Apartments, labs, someplace I can eat something. These come to mind."

Rizban
2012-12-07, 08:42 AM
He scratches his chin as he thinks.

"Well, living quarters are upstairs. Most labs are downstairs, though there are others scattered throughout for various reasons. No food here though, so you'll have to eat out or make your own. Was there something specific you were looking for?"

Lexin
2012-12-07, 09:28 AM
"Are there secured labs? The type where one could practice summoning?
As for food, I just wanted to know is there is something nearby... and more or less good quality, but if there are kitchens in the apartments then I suppose it would be enough.
Hmm, now some general questions:
- Where do I apply for Lab time?
- Is there a procedure for gaining apprentices in the guild?
- Are there merchants bound with contracts to the guild, or do I need to find some myself to help me sell my work?" he says after thinking for a while.

Rizban
2012-12-07, 09:41 AM
"If you get a lab, you're required to do all prep work yourself or hire others to do it. Before starting research, you'll need to submit a form detailing the direction of your research, general practices, and what safety procedures you've taken. As an initiate, you'll have to get approval before you start any new research, though that restriction is lifted as you rise in the ranks and prove yourself a competent and capable researcher.

You probably won't have a kitchen in your apartment, at least not as an initiate. There is, however, a common mess area where you can use the kitchen. Just know that there is a strict non-magic policy when it comes to cooking...

You'll need to apply with the head lab tech. I don't do research anymore, so I don't know who that is anymore. They change them out every couple of years.

I dunno. I've never had an apprentice.

You're responsible for selling your own work or for finding someone to sell it for you. While you may use the guild as a front for selling spellcasting and certain other services, we do not employ merchants to that end. You'll either have to wait for people to come here looking or employ a merchant on your own."

Lexin
2012-12-07, 11:04 AM
"That's extremely helpful, thank you.
One last thing, are there mundane alchemical labs available too, or just the magic research ones?"

Rizban
2012-12-07, 11:12 AM
"I only know that there are labs. Like I said, I don't do research. I haven't since I ascended to godhood."

With that, he begins to glow and his form fades into nothingness. Nothing remains except the book.

Lexin
2012-12-07, 11:28 AM
Lanakhad looks at the place where a man just vanished in silence... for at least a minute... maybe more than one...
When shock passed and Lanakhad came to some conclusions (Either he is insane, in which case he can't do anything about it, so there is no reason to worry... or this guild is simply best thing that could happened to him... Either way, no reason to worry now.)
"I should have asked him if he would help me with citizenship issue... I would really like to see the faces of people in the offices if he agreed." he whispers to himself with a really wide smile. Shame that the men didn't introduce himself, Lanakhad liked him and wouldn't mind dropping to his temple from time to time. Maybe when I meet him next time. he thinks, still smiling.

He notices that the book was left here, just out of curiosity he checks the title.

Rizban
2012-12-07, 11:44 AM
In large, bold letters of glimmering gold, the title is but one single word.

"Gotcha!"

You feel a heavy hand clap you on the back as uproarious laughter fills the air. In between gasps for air, you hear the man who just vanished saying "Hoo boy! That never gets old. You should have seen your face!"

Lexin
2012-12-07, 11:55 AM
Lanakhad turns around, once again slightly confused, but then he smiles and starts laughing as well.
"Nice one." he says to the man as he calms down "You got me for a while. It is a pleasure to meet you, I can see now that being a member of this guild would not be boring.
But now, I guess I will look around the place. Could you give me your name, so I can get back at y... I mean find and ask you for advice later?" he says smiling.

Rizban
2012-12-07, 01:03 PM
"Well, my friends call me James. My enemies call me Mr. Hagan Erbauer."

Lexin
2012-12-07, 01:34 PM
"Given the choice, thank you for your help James. Good bye." he says and goes upstairs to look for his apartment.

Rizban
2012-12-11, 04:48 PM
Looking at your card, it appears that you are in room number "√- http://www.mornproductions.com/images/IGUANA.png"

You're not exactly sure how to find the room "Square Root of Negative Iguana."

Lexin
2012-12-11, 05:01 PM
Assuming that Lan checked the card before going upstairs, he turns to James with confused look on his face.

"Umm, do I need to see someone to decipher this?"

Rizban
2012-12-11, 05:26 PM
James glances at the card.

"Ah, you're in an initiate dorm, hence the radical. It seems you're also in the Inverse Iguana wing. That will be third floor up, three doors down, take a left, down one floor, second door on your right. That leads to Inverse Iguana. Your actual room assignment will be given to you once there."

Lexin
2012-12-11, 05:32 PM
"Oh."
"Yes."
"Thank you."

He says, bows and walks according to directions... hoping it is not another joke this time...

Rizban
2012-12-11, 11:43 PM
Following the convoluted course, you find the address. Based on the distance you walked though, you would swear you should be hovering in midair outside of the tower...

Lexin
2012-12-12, 05:07 AM
Lanakhad shrugs... that's what he expected of mage's tower.

He knocks and enters (unless there is a line or he get's fire-balled on entrance).

"Hello. I was told that it is here, where I can get a room assigned." he says (if there is an office or something similar)

Rizban
2012-12-12, 11:47 AM
There's a small seating area with five doors leading off from it.

A guy sitting in one of the arm chairs stands up to greet you.

"Welcome, I'm Oswin. You must be the new guy. You room is second on the right over there. You'll be sharing it with Theobald until one or the other of you moves up enough in the ranks to earn your own private quarters or moves out."

Lexin
2012-12-12, 11:50 AM
"Oh, I see. Do I need any key, or something similar?"

Rizban
2012-12-12, 12:04 PM
"Nope. You're magically recognized at the door. Only you and your roommate can get in unless you authorize someone else. Your storage inside has a lock, and the door has a deadbolt to better secure it while you sleep."

Lexin
2012-12-12, 12:16 PM
"Okay. So would you mind if I asked some novice questions?"

If not

"If I wanted to get an alchemist lab to get some work done, where should I go to get one?
Everyone is talking about moving up in guild ranks, any hints how to do it? Or just 'to be more valuable asset for the guild'?"

Rizban
2012-12-12, 12:36 PM
"Just got to prove yourself and get a promotion handed down. There's not really a codified system.

To get access to a lab, you'll have to sign up for a time in one of the novice labs. If you want a private lab, you'll have to prove that you have some sort of viable research that warrants a private work space."

Lexin
2012-12-12, 12:39 PM
"I see. Thanks."

He says and goes to check his new room.

Rizban
2012-12-13, 04:21 PM
The room is fairly small but adequate. There are two single beds on opposite sides of the 25 x 25 room. A large chest sits at the end of each bed, and a large double dresser sits on the wall opposite the beds.

Your roommate does not appear to be present.

http://www.mornproductions.com/images/AVB/GoSS/InitiateSuite.png

Lexin
2012-12-13, 04:33 PM
Lanakhad leaves his luggage in unoccupied chest, tries the bed and goes to the labs, looking for an office or something similar so he can sign up for one.

Lexin
2012-12-18, 04:26 AM
OOC: Did the Forgotten one earned his title once again?

Rizban
2012-12-18, 03:23 PM
No, I just don't post on weekends and have been super busy with work. Also, I reply in order of replies from oldest to newest. Bumping your thread is counter productive, as it sends you to the end of the list...Upon opening the chest, he finds that it's an extradimensional space. Almost anything you have will fit inside. It, however, refuses to close if a living creature is inside. Experimentation shows that it functions much like a handy haversack, but with much greater capacity. A note on the inside of the lid indicates that it will not function outside of this room.

After asking around, you are directed to a small office downstairs near the labs. You find it with ease. The door is closed.

Lexin
2012-12-18, 03:44 PM
I bumped, because sometimes it doesn't show for me in Control Panel and I thought it might have happened here.
I have no problem with waiting, but would not like this game (... at least my personal part of it) to die...
Being pushed to the end of the list is preferable for me over the game dying.

"Huh? That is somewhat unexpected..."
Lanakhad checks what time is it.

Rizban
2012-12-18, 09:17 PM
I have every thread on a subscribed list and open them all in order. As long as I'm not the last poster, I'll check your thread. You don't have to worry about it.

If I haven't posted yet, then it's probably because I'm away from my computer and only posting on my phone. If I only have phone access, then I only post on the recruiting and OOC threads and don't do character updates.You made it back to the GoSS at about 2ish. I'd say it's taken you about two hours to talk, find your room, unpack, and find this office. So, about 4.

Lexin
2012-12-19, 04:50 AM
Okay. I will remember for the next time.

Lanakhad shrugs... it wasn't that late yet... He looks around for someone he could ask about the office being closed.

Rizban
2012-12-19, 09:02 PM
There is a man just down the hall watering the various plants used to decorate the interior of the building.

Lexin
2012-12-20, 05:50 AM
"Hello, would you be so kind and tell me why the Labs Office is closed? Did I simply come to late?"

Rizban
2012-12-20, 12:52 PM
"Uh, it shouldn't be closed. Did you try knocking?"

Lexin
2012-12-20, 01:21 PM
I really need to pay attention...
In my first language there is only one word for both 'closed' and 'locked'...
... it isn't the first time I managed to try to pick a closed, but not locked door...:smallsigh:

Lanakhad shrugs, trying to keep his remaining dignity... "Maybe they simply didn't hear me the first time... thanks."
... and he walks to knock on the door...

Rizban
2012-12-26, 04:34 PM
Huh... What is your first language?After knocking, you hear a man say "Enter."

Lexin
2013-01-01, 01:47 PM
...polish...
(feeling insecure...)

Lanakhad enters the room, trying to look as if he didn't do anything strange...

Rizban
2013-01-08, 06:12 PM
Sorry for the delay...

Oh, cool. One of my best friends is from Poland. She's pretty cool, so you get bonus points by default. :smalltongue:

Seriously though, do you live in Poland? If you're in Europe, I would offer to let you to switch over to Monodominant as your DM. He lives in Greece and might have a posting schedule closer to yours. It's your choice though."Ah, fresh meat. So, you're the new blood at the guild, eh? What can I do for you?"

Lexin
2013-01-09, 08:47 AM
Yep, I live in Poland. As for DM changing... I actually like your DMing, and, as I don't have that much time now because of exam session, I don't really mind the posting schedule/delays...

"Hello. As you noticed I am new to the guild. I was told that I could apply for a lab time here. Is that correct?"

Rizban
2013-01-09, 03:17 PM
"Yeah, sure, sign up sheet is there on the wall."

He points to a collection of papers magically attached to the wall. Each page represents a single day and goes from midnight to midnight and has four columns. Apparently, there are four public labs, and all are open at all hours of the day...

There are only ten pages up on the wall, and it unfortunately appears that the only openings on any given day are at inconsistent times between 1 AM and 4:30 AM.

Lexin
2013-01-09, 03:42 PM
Lanakhad shrugs Good enough for the beginning...

He books the labs for the available time.

"I have two questions. First where are these labs? Second, is it possible to somehow get a free room around here, so I could prepare my own lab?"

"Actually one more... When do you hang new sheets? I would prefer a better schedule next time..."

Rizban
2013-01-09, 07:09 PM
"New sheets come out at the start of each month for the next month following. However, some time slots are reserved by senior members a year in advance, and neophytes, like you, can not reserve more than 10 days in advance."

Lexin
2013-01-10, 05:50 AM
"Umm... and the question about localization of labs and the possibility of renting an empty room?" he asks in a slightly flat tone thinking 'Gotta move up the ranks fast...'

Happy Birthday!

Rizban
2013-01-16, 09:00 PM
"There are labs in several locations, all down the stairs from the entry lobby.

As to renting an empty room, you'll either have to earn the privilege or have some pretty hefty coin. The rooms here aren't exactly cheap to maintain."

Lexin
2013-01-17, 03:41 AM
"As everything in this city... Just in case, how much for an empty room?"

Rizban
2013-01-18, 08:44 PM
"They're going to start at 100gp per day."

Lexin
2013-01-19, 05:33 AM
Thoughts: "I could buy a mansion out of the city for this amount. It's outrageous!"

Said aloud: "Okay, thank you, I will keep it in mind.
Thank you for your help."
He says and leaves the office.
Taking into account that he needs to be awake around 1 am, he decides to ask around for best ways to advance in the guild, and catch some sleep before his lab time. Is his roommate around this time?

Gather Information (How to advance in the guild, for dummies.)
[roll0]
time [roll1]

...I really need to somehow buff this skill...

And sleep time, between gathering info, and around half past midnight, so he is on time in the labs.

Rizban
2013-01-19, 06:22 AM
You get several variations on "If you have to ask, you'll never know" before finally giving up and trying to get some sleep.

You find the lab empty and immaculately clean.

Lexin
2013-01-19, 07:38 AM
...it is not a magic guild... It is some kind of cult of mystery... he thinks as he goes to sleep.

When he enters the lab he is somewhat happy that he finally would be able to do something here...

Not sure how much of roleplay is needed in something like this...

Anyway, Craft Alchemy, with taking 10 is enough for Lanakhad to meet DC 25.
...and in 3,5 hours it amounts to 91 gp worth of alchemical substances (with DC 25)
= 1 antitoxin and 20 sunrods.
- 30 gp, paid for raw materials

Does Lab provide any bonus to Craft skill?

After crafting some basic alchemical products Lanakhad cleans the lab and waits to see if someone is really using it at this hour.

Rizban
2013-01-19, 07:47 AM
The lab has all the basic equipment necessary, but it does not provide you with any bonuses.

The person scheduled for the next hour arrives promptly and seems irritated that you are still there. He checks the clock on the wall and says very rudely, "It's my scheduled time. I really need to get started..."

Lexin
2013-01-19, 07:55 AM
"No problem, I just finished anyway..." Lanakhad tries not to show disappointment after seeing the other person arriving on time and goes back to his room to get some sleep.
He wakes around 8 am and, if there is nobody who would like to stop him (giving him tasks or something) he would go to merchant district, trying to find an alchemist shops there, but also tries to find out if there is some kind of hospital around.

Rizban
2013-01-21, 10:46 AM
Does he just wander randomly, ask someone specific, or roll a Gather Information check?

Lexin
2013-01-21, 01:13 PM
... I thought about wandering randomly, but asking a guard sounds good...

Rizban
2013-01-21, 03:42 PM
The guard isn't familiar with alchemist shops, and he says most people go to a cleric in Temple District if they get sick or injured; however, he mentions that there is a group called the Sisters of Salvation who have a place for taking care of the poor and homeless in upper Midtown near where it meets Guildsman and North Market.

Lexin
2013-01-21, 03:51 PM
He asks some more, where could he start looking for such shops. North market? South Market? Anything similar to travelling/ adventuring supplies shops?

Rizban
2013-01-23, 05:59 AM
"Look, I'm a guard, not a tour guide."

Lexin
2013-01-23, 06:10 AM
"Yeah, I am sorry about all the questions. *sigh* Still I am new here and would appreciate any help. Could you, at least, tell me who could I ask about these things?"

Diplomacy [roll0]

Rizban
2013-01-29, 01:44 PM
"I really couldn't tell you. There's not an organization based on guiding people around the city... You could maybe ask someone at the Flint though."

Lexin
2013-01-29, 05:06 PM
[Thoughts] That's an idea for a business...

"Okay, thank you for your help."
Says Lanakhad and walks, trying to find suitable shop on his own at first. He walks to the South Market and looks around, trying to find a alchemist shop, or some other kind which would be interested in sunrods and antitoxin (travelling supplies perhaps?).

Rizban
2013-01-30, 06:18 AM
South Market seems to be one of the more humble districts. Only about half of the buildings are actually shops, and most of them cater to the locals providing affordable goods produced locally.

The closest you come to an alchemist shop is a local herbalist who sells herbs, spices, oils, and a few minor medicinal goods.

Lexin
2013-01-30, 07:20 AM
Lanakhad enters the herbalist shop and checks average prices.

(trying to see if he could afford things like Antitoxin)

Rizban
2013-01-30, 08:15 AM
An older man greets you cheerily as you enter.

"Welcome to my shop! What can I help you with?"

Lexin
2013-01-30, 08:25 AM
"Hello there! I am just looking around for now. You see, I am new in the city and trying to find my place around.
About what brings me here... First, and foremost, I am interested in checking if there are any shops with alchemical supplies in the city to see if they would be interested in helping me sell my own products... or sign a larger contract where they would supply me with materials and I would sell them my work for a smaller price.
Do you think you could help a newcomer with finding such place... or maybe you are interested in some cooperation yourself?"

Diplomacy [roll0]
Sense Motive (to check his attitude/ if he is lying when answering) [roll1]

Rizban
2013-02-07, 12:58 PM
Sorry for the delay. I've been dealing with a lot of personal stuff this past week."Dunno, what is it you're peddling?"

Lexin
2013-02-09, 06:10 AM
"Right now I have only some antitoxin and pack of sunrods with me, but if there is a demand I suppose I could make something more interesting.

If you are interested in some medical supplies, I can make a powerful antitoxin which would be a great help in fighting any poison. I can make a Healing balm which is a more basic medicine, but in the same time more versatile and cheaper.

My other specialty are travelling supplies:
- Sunrods, the most basic, but still very useful.
- Tindertwigs, for people who want to save their time,
- Fareye oil, Hawks Oinment, Keenear powder or Softfoot are substances used by scouts... maybe guards or army would be interested?
- Trail bars- they are bland, but last for a very long time and keep you sated for days.

These are only examples, of course..."

Rizban
2013-02-19, 03:13 PM
"Don't have much use for adventuring gear 'round these parts, but the medical supplies would be very useful, assuming they're good enough and cheap enough."

Lexin
2013-02-20, 03:20 AM
"If you want to test quality, you can check this" he says giving the old man the antitoxin. "As for prices..."

I am travelling now (as in sig) and have a hard time accesing books, but what Lanakhad wants to propose is the deal where they share half the earnings.
(Base price (100%) = (33% materials cost) + (33% Lanakhad's share) + (33% Old man's share)

For example Antitoxin = can be sold for 50 gp, so 18 for Old man, and 32 for Lanakhad (Old man can get a better deal if he get's cheaper raw materials from somewhere...)

Rizban
2013-02-20, 03:38 AM
"See now, that's the problem, you just don't have competitive prices. At 50gp, there's not much more reason to come here than anywhere else. Besides, I've already got a similar deal with another supplier. I was hoping you could do me one better, but I guess not."

He just shrugs.

"Well, if there's nothing else..."

Lexin
2013-02-20, 04:19 AM
"50gp is the price which you use for selling, if you prefer to sell it for cheaper I don't mind, what is important here is the ratio. If you sell antitoxin for 45 gp, we would still divide profits by half, so around 17 gp for materials and 14 gp profit for each of us.

You could as well increase your own profit margin if you have access to cheaper raw materials. This way, for example if you get enough raw materials for one portion of antitoxin for 10 gp, your own share of profits from 45 gp would rise to 21 gp." he shrugs lightly
"I won't work for free, but what I need is only about a third of your selling price and materials..."

Rizban
2013-02-21, 01:15 AM
"I will need to sell for 40 to make it affordable to those who need it, and I'll need to make at least 15 on profit to keep my doors open. Include the base costs of materials, and you'll find that you'll be making nothing on each one I sell. I'm afraid I can't help you with selling your tinctures or in finding cheaper materials, as I don't have a lot of time to shop around for them. If you can find an adequate way to reduce your costs, I'll be more than happy to sell your creations... if they're still effective."

Lexin
2013-02-21, 07:48 AM
Lanakhad looks at the shopkeeper unconvinced, but after a short while he only shrugs. "It is your choice if you decide to sell these things so cheap. It is not a simple medicine which can be made by just anyone and I offered you a fair deal for it. If you don't see an opportunity in buying from me alchemical substanes of almost any kind, without the need of paying in advance and only for sharing half the profit on selling... then I think I will need to try my luck somewhere else..."

He says, and with a short, polite nod he walks out of the shop, if not stopped he walks out and tries to find some bigger shops, which could be interested in any of his products.

If nothing like that is nearby he would walk to the North Market.

Rizban
2013-02-21, 03:46 PM
"I am sorry, but this isn't Midtown. The people who frequent my shop just can't afford 50, even if their lives depend on it. I currently sell to the locals at 45, as do my nearby competitors. I would like to be able to beat their price if possible."

Lexin
2013-02-22, 10:44 AM
"How about Healer's Balm then? It is not that strong, but has many more uses, not only does it fight poison, but it helps with wounds and diseases as well...
...And it is much cheaper than the antitoxin..."

Healer's Balm, CAdv, Somewhere page 118.

Rizban
2013-02-22, 05:01 PM
"Never heard of it. They just rub it on and gain resistance to poisons or something?"

Lexin
2013-02-24, 09:53 AM
"No, this one is used by healers to perfect their craft, it doesn't work by itself but makes healing much easier. I am sure you would be able to find customers interested in this. Temples, hospitals, probably guards as well...
...usual price is 10 gold for a dose..."
He says advertising his products with a smile.

Diplomacy [roll0]

Rizban
2013-02-25, 06:48 PM
"That should be very useful... were I located in a district with temples or hospitals. I'll stock three of them and see how they sell. If there's any market for them, I'll keep them in stock regularly. If not, then this will be my only order."

Lexin
2013-02-26, 05:01 AM
"That should be very useful... were I located in a district with temples or hospitals. I'll stock three of them and see how they sell. If there's any market for them, I'll keep them in stock regularly. If not, then this will be my only order."

"Good then, I will bring your order tomorrow." Lanakhad says with a polite nod and leaves the shop.
...This could be more difficult than I thought... he thinks as he leaves the place.

He needed a plan and a source of informtion. For now he walks towards the Temple district. He walks via Midtown and Old Town looking around on the way, trying to find smaller, darker alleys where maybe some less law abiding citizeens would reside.

Rizban
2013-02-26, 05:16 AM
Just after entering Midtown, you see a particularly "promising" alley with what appears to be a vacant building adjacent.

Lexin
2013-02-26, 05:31 AM
He stops for a short while before entering the alley (to manifest Vigor for 6pp) and enters, trying not to show hesitation to any of potential observers.

He also focuses on his surroundings so, hopefully he won't be surprised...

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

... if this charcter won't survive I will know that it is a bad idea to dump some skills...

Rizban
2013-02-26, 09:29 PM
After you make it a short way into the alley, a group of thugs step out of the "vacant" building to block your way.

"Where do you think you're going, bucko?"

Lexin
2013-02-27, 12:43 AM
"I am going where I need to, to accomplish my goals. This time, it might be here." he says in an emotionless voice.

How many thugs are there?

System question:
Would they know if I used Read thoughts power on them?
I remember from somewhere that mass spells/powers can't be felt unless the effect is obvious (like with fireball) ... but it might have been a house rule...

Rizban
2013-02-27, 01:12 AM
Read Thoughts has a mental (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#display) display.

You can see four of them.

Lexin
2013-02-27, 01:26 AM
... Hmm so if I manifested it before, but just concentrated on it now, they wouldn't feel a thing?

If yes, and Lanakhad is still more than 15 ft away from them he would manifest Read Thoughts

If not, and you allow preparing actions outside the initiative, he would prepare suggestion power.

If not for both, he would simply wait for answer without using any psionic powers.

Rizban
2013-02-27, 01:41 AM
They are definitely within 15 ft.

No, because it affects the target as well. Putting them into the effect causes the display.

You can ready an action outside of battle, yes.

Lexin
2013-02-27, 02:29 AM
Finally read the whole text...

It is a display of manifesting power. After the power is manifested there is no display unless I choose to leave it for the whole duration of power. Even if I target someone later it doesn't trigger the manifesting display. I am not even sure if people entering the range of this power could be called targetting them...

Anyway, it is possible to mask the display with a successful concentration check.
So... I will try this

Concentration DC 17 [roll0]

Manifesting Read Thoughts power (Will DC 16) in 60 ft cone.

Rizban
2013-02-27, 02:45 AM
You are correct. I was also already aware of that. However, now that you've read it and figured it out for yourself, you're far more likely to remember it in the future. :smallwink:

I was pretty sure it would still display from affecting them, but it appears not.

Be aware, masking the display is not the same as manifesting defensively. In order to do both, you must roll two separate concentration checks.You manage to catch three of them in the cone of your initial manifestation, but the fourth is just outside of the area of effect.

You are unable to read anything from one of them, but the other two have rather obvious thoughts. One is thinking about the best ways to cause you the most pain before killing you. The other is simply cautious of you and suspicious as to your motives of walking down this alley, though the occasional glimmer of how to quickly silence you enters his mind.

Lexin
2013-02-27, 05:25 AM
Lanakhad smiles slightly and says "Now now gentlemen. No need to get nervous. You could all attack me, risk your lives to do so and gain what little I have here... or you could calm down and start talking business with me. I have money... at the bank of course... and could exchange it for some... favors... from one of you or maybe one of your bosses. Interested?" He says it in monotone and tries to turn a little, to cover all of them with his mind reading power (if possible)

Diplomancy check (trying to make them less aggressive and more interested in business)
[roll0]

Which one is talking? The unaffected? The psycho-killer?

Rizban
2013-02-27, 06:46 PM
They are spaced apart such that you can only catch any three of them in your arc at one time. Unfortunately, the one closest to the middle is the one you can't read, allowing you to only read any two at once.

The fourth one seems bored and is thinking about how to end this quick so he can go get something to eat, preferably with your gold.

The speaker is the cautious one. You're pretty certain the other two you can read would have just attacked you and been done with it if not for that one insisting you be questioned first...

"Keep talking."

Lexin
2013-02-27, 11:10 PM
[Thoughts] "How did they survive here, if they can only think about killing people and business is a foreign concept for them?" he thinks after reading their minds.

Any information from mind reading when Lanakhad mentioned 'bosses'?

Rizban
2013-02-27, 11:18 PM
You detected no appreciable change at the word "bosses."

Lexin
2013-02-27, 11:40 PM
"What I need is mostly information... maybe some strong friends who would help me 'convince' some business rivals to be more cooperative...
What I can offer in exchange is money. Or, if you are interested, some specialty goods... Substances which help in moving after dark, tools and fluids which make blending in the night easy... and there are some less legal substances as well..."
He shrugs "Or we can just stay with money."

He keeps mind readin on the talking one all the time and prepares suggestion in case they were about to attack.

Rizban
2013-02-28, 12:12 AM
He quickly becomes even more suspicious of you, if that's possible.

"Yeah? What is it you really want?"

"Can't we just kill him?"

"Shut up. I'm talking here."

Lexin
2013-02-28, 12:33 AM
[thoughts] Not the brightest one, is he?

In an instant he looks more bored than anything else
"What I want, is to make money. And I am willing to share it with those who help me achieve my goals. I think I made myself clear about what I would need and how can I pay."

... worst case scenario: I make another character and wait half a year to join the game...

Charm Person! (at the talking one)
using 5 pp (will DC 20)

Concentration to mask the display (DC 16) [roll0] Fail

... I knew it! :smalltongue:

... and a sudden chime rings in the minds of the thugs...

Rizban
2013-02-28, 12:44 AM
They all hear a faint chiming sound, but he fails his save.

"Wot was that?" {Looks around confused}
"He's a mage! Kill him!" {Pulls out a short sword}
{Silently draws two knives}

"Hold on a second. Don't kill him just yet. I like the sound of his proposal. Tell me what it is, exactly, you want from us. I don't like guessing."

Lexin
2013-02-28, 01:57 AM
"Okay, so I would talk simple:
One, I would like information, if any of the less law abiding citizens is interested in buying from me illegal alchemical substances.
Two, would be nice to have Citizenship ... and I suppose you know who I can bribe to get that...
Three, I would like to hire a 'helper' who would help me gather information from the city and maybe contact you guys in less life threatening manner... Information at first would be basic and easy to obtain... but later could include spying on some prominent citizens. ... in the same time I would like to know if any of my competitors have conections with some gangs or similar groups, so I don't get in your way.
From time to time I might hire some of you, so you break a leg or two, so people don't get in my way.
Finally, I can make poisons, but it would be profitable for me only if I gain access to material... and have buyers. The later is easier to be found here than in the marketplace...

Clear enough?"

... could we say that he prepares action to cast suggestion (if attacked) for this whole conversation unless he uses different power?

Rizban
2013-02-28, 02:07 AM
Speaking is a free action, so it shouldn't be a problem..."That's a lot of stuff, man. Why don't we sit down inside and talk this out, figure out what we gonna do?"

He motions towards the building.

"You really think we can trust this guy?"
"I said shut up"

Lexin
2013-02-28, 02:26 AM
Lanakhad hesitates for a second but then simply shrugs and follows the talkative guy, all the time he tries too keep as many of them as possible in the mind reading range.

Rizban
2013-02-28, 04:18 AM
Two remain outside, but the talky man and the killy man go inside with you. However, one remains in front while the other remains behind you. There's no way to catch both at the same time...

Lexin
2013-02-28, 10:15 AM
Mind reading priority set on talky man, psicrystal observing killy guy, so Lanakhad doesn't get sneak attacked...
Lanakhad follows the talky man.

Rizban
2013-02-28, 08:31 PM
He motions you to a small table with a few chairs and takes a seat. The other man takes up a position a little behind you and to the side, obviously still very distrusting.

"Now, listen here, we don't normally do all this stuff you're talking about. So, if there's something specific you need, you're going to have to spell it out to the boys, tell me what you need so I can teach 'em how to do it. We can't do more than one thing at a time, but, if the gold is good, we can make something work."

Lexin
2013-02-28, 10:59 PM
"We could start from a relatively easy one. Information.
Find me a person interested in buying poisons and providing materials and I would pay for the information.

I can't really walk around and ask myself. I am new to the city, which means I don't know where to look and... as you can see..." he points at the man behind him "...it seems not many people are willing to trust me that easily..."

Rizban
2013-03-01, 02:37 AM
"You seem like a decent guy and all, but don't go giving us orders. If you want information, you have to pay at least half up front."