PDA

View Full Version : Looking for lan games

pffh
2012-11-16, 08:43 AM
Like the title said I'm looking for games that we can play on a lan. What we are looking for specifically are games that:

Can be played without internet connections
Have bots
Can support a team of 5 players vs said bots
Lets us change the difficulty settings on the bots depending on how drunk we are
Preferably short enough rounds or missions that we can have plenty of shots over the evening (somewhere around 30-45 minutes is ideal)

Currently we play Warcraft 3 custom maps, battlefield 1942 and 2, Swat 4, Operation flashpoint, half life and its various mods and that's about it I think.

So any ideas?

GolemsVoice
2012-11-16, 06:04 PM
Well, there's always the various Unreal Tournaments, which we have greatly enjoyed over the years, as well as all manner of Quakes.

Totally Guy
2012-11-16, 06:46 PM
Who's Ian? :smalltongue:

Tebryn
2012-11-16, 07:14 PM
Sins of a Solar Empire. All the way. Great game, great co-op and great bot capabilities.

GolemsVoice
2012-11-16, 07:44 PM
Who's Ian?

Some guy who's always hosting parties. I heard he's friends with General Failure.

Brother Oni
2012-11-17, 07:55 AM
Sins of a Solar Empire. All the way. Great game, great co-op and great bot capabilities.

Not so good on the 30-40 minute round time though.

@pffh: How about Starcraft?

Darth Mario
2012-11-17, 08:13 AM
Team Fortress 2 comes to mind. Also is free.

Gulddom
2012-11-17, 08:31 AM
I'm pretty sure Awsomenauts can fill all of these criteria, but i'm not sure about if you can play using LAN.Nevermind I checked and you can play using LAN

Tranzam
2012-11-17, 12:19 PM
Take a look at this list. (http://www.freelangames.net)

psilontech
2012-11-17, 12:44 PM
Soldat
Counter Strike: Source
Team Fortress 2
Homeworld 2
Starcraft: Brood War

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-11-18, 12:42 AM
Unreal all the way; it was always the mindless go-to for LAN parties in college.

Zovc
2012-11-21, 09:51 PM
Our LAN favorites from back in the day are:

Warcraft III, which you've already said you guys play.
Garry's Mod, which I'm assuming you are counting as a Half-Life mod.
Titan Quest, personally, we like it more than Diablo III. It might not be better than Diablo II, but it's different. There's also now Torchlight II.

The rest of our games don't necessarily have bot support, but if they do, we usually don't use it even at a small LAN.

Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - Tons of fun if you do Sabers Only and no Force Powers, but the game is still fun and a good bit different if you allow force powers and/or guns. The game has a nice rotational Dueling system which is a lot of fun and really intense, and even has a 2v1 dueling system. There's also free for alls, team battles, and bot support.

Rune - Less technically robust than JA in pretty much every aspect, but much more mindless and fun. A great game to boot up while people are getting set up, or during pizza breaks. People can jump in and out, smash eachother's skulls, respawn, and keep doing it. There are a bunch of weird game modes here, and some community patches add even more. There was this weard head-ball game where you tried to knock your opponent's heads into a goal or something... Super gory, super lightweight, and super fun. Great in-between choice. I don't remember there being bot support, but there may be.

Soldat is a surprisingly intense and strategic game once you get the hang of it. Give everyone jetpacks and knives and watch chaos unfold. Teams and bots supported.

Suicide Survival is similar to Rune in that everyone can pick the game up and start playing competently. It's so much more simple, though, and nevertheless gets super-duper intense. There are no bots, but four players can make a loud, rowdy good time. Just make sure you are the kind of people to talk smack as soon as you blow eachother up. (HL2 Mod)