PDA

View Full Version : I have a horse and an Orb?

GutterFace
2012-11-16, 09:37 AM
Quick question for clarification.

If i have a warmage with a warhorse and the feats

mounted casting
mounted combat
ride by attack
spirited charge

would my spells, since they have an attack roll to hit, do double damage with spirited charge?

or does that only apply to melee weapons?

Jeff the Green
2012-11-16, 09:54 AM
No, for two reasons. First, you can't use a charge with a ranged spell. Second, spirited charge explicitly states it only works with melee weapons.

Boci
2012-11-16, 09:55 AM
It may work however with a weapon-likr spell that is melee touch ranged.

GutterFace
2012-11-16, 09:59 AM
ok cool, so a duskblade with a spell in a sword would deal double on a hit.

Kaustic
2012-11-16, 10:00 AM
That makes me a bit curious with a spell like Thunderlance.

GutterFace
2012-11-16, 10:07 AM
Arcane Strike + Duskblade + Spirited charge (& ride by attack) with a lance = could be fun!

Boci
2012-11-16, 10:24 AM
Arcane Strike + Duskblade + Spirited charge (& ride by attack) with a lance = could be fun!

I don't think that will work, as arcane channeling is a standard action, not an attack action. The only way it will work with a melee spell is if you cast it beforehand and hold the charge.

The smiting spell metamagic however should work (+1 MM from players handbook 2, cast a spell into a weapon, dicharge it into the target when hit).

nedz
2012-11-16, 12:18 PM
No, for two reasons. First, you can't use a charge with a ranged spell. Second, spirited charge explicitly states it only works with melee weapons.

this basically

Spirited Charge [General]
When mounted and using the charge action, you deal double damage with a melee weapon (or triple damage with a lance).

You cannot cast spells by using a charge action.
Orbs are not melee weapons.