PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Imp Familiar

holymotheroftod
2012-11-16, 10:54 AM
My wizard is picking up an Imp familiar. As far as I can tell, the Imp will be obedient, but is still ultimately going to try and send me to Hell. What I want to do is give him a set of ground rules immediately upon his summoning to prevent as much of this as possible.

I was thinking along the lines of

1) Assume the appearance of a Raven at all times unless I specifically grant you permission to assume another form.

2) Speak to no one but me, and no louder than a whisper unless ambient noise would prevent me from hearing; in such a case, use the lowest possible volume for clear communication.

3) Do not injure a party member or, through inaction, allow a party member to come to harm.

Any other suggestions?

Barstro
2012-11-16, 12:23 PM
3) Do not injure a party member or, through inaction, allow a party member to come to harm.

Careful. An enemy could be "a party member", just of a different party.

holymotheroftod
2012-11-16, 12:26 PM
That's exactly the kind of loophole I am worried about. I should be able to get away with introducing him to my party members individually and telling him that they are off limits.

Barstro
2012-11-16, 02:58 PM
That's exactly the kind of loophole I am worried about. I should be able to get away with introducing him to my party members individually and telling him that they are off limits.

Unless one of them turns on you. Then you are back to it being a bad idea. Heck, the imp could even be the one to cause the party member to attack you and then be forced to not stop it. Damned dirty imps.

For my money, it would be fun to agree with the DM that (s)he is allowed to mess with you through the imp and your poorly constructed rules, but only to cause mischief, not harm.

Think of the wonderful hijinx when "Protect the King" is phonetically similar to "tickle the ogre" in Abysmal.

holymotheroftod
2012-11-16, 03:54 PM
His inability to speak to anyone else should at least hamper that idea.

Deathkeeper
2012-11-16, 04:40 PM
Well, as long as you stay Neutral he won't get you killed. He'll want you to screw yourself over first so you go to hell, which means for now he'll probably stick with minor shenanigans until you really leave yourself open. But yeah, it's pretty unavoidable that an imp will mess with you. It's a Imp, after all.