PDA

View Full Version : Mystic SotAO ranger tricks?

gomipile
2012-11-16, 04:48 PM
I want to build a stealthy assassin (Lawful Neutral, kind of like The Operative from Serenity) type caster without resorting to too terribly much cheese (polymorph, dark chaos shuffle, Psychic reformation abuse, etc.)

The only chassis I've found so far with access to the Sor/Wiz list and all 4 of Spot, Listen, Hide, and Move Silently is the Mystic Ranger with the Sword of the Arcane Order feat.

So, what neat assassin type tricks can you do with level 5 and less spells from the Sor/Wiz and Ranger spell lists?

Alternatively, what other build would you use if you wanted Sor/Wiz casting with the skills Concentration, Spot, Listen, Hide, and Move Silently as class skills for every level of the build?

Spuddles
2012-11-16, 05:16 PM
Between the faerun feat that gives you a spellbook and the rules compendium on what and how prepared casters with spellbooks operate, and class with arcane spell slots and the ability to prepare spells (see complete arcane for the feat), you can now have access to the wiz list.

SotAO won't work on an evil character, will it? Isn't mystra good?

Curmudgeon
2012-11-16, 05:17 PM
I want to build a stealthy assassin (Lawful Neutral, kind of like The Operative from Serenity)
Well, you might want to start with getting the alignment right.
I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... any more than there is for you. Malcolm... I'm a monster. What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done.

gomipile
2012-11-16, 05:38 PM
My interpretation is that he does evil acts for good and lawful reasons. Generally, lawful evil does evil acts for evil reasons, right?

In general, characters who are neutral on the good/evil axis are expected to do both good and evil acts. At the very least, it shouldn't be surprising if they do. Also, you are leaving out the fact that The Operative does do some good acts in Serenity.

Akal Saris
2012-11-16, 07:18 PM
I don't know if its wise to start a discussion on morality in Firefly. What alignment is Jayne, again? :smallcool:

Anyhow, I made a build for an assassin-type mystic ranger a while back that used FR's Telflammar Shadowlord to be able to teleport next to opponents and get full attacks (preferably out of stealth). In my mind it's a bit like Nightcrawler from the X-Men.

In the build below, he would have teleport as a move, standard, and swift action by L20, so he could do a 1-round nova for 3 full attacks. There's only 2d6 sneak attack in the build, but Craven would make it 2d6+20 per hit, which is respectable, and a casting of Hunter's Eye (Rgr 3) would make it 6d6+20.

The Operative, #1 of Build Thread
Snow Elf Mystic Ranger 8/Swordsage 1/Telflammar Shadowlord 4/Ranger+2/Swordsage +5
(Total Ranger 10/Swordsage 6/Shadowlord 4)
ACFs: Mystic Ranger (Dragon Magazine), Trap-finding (Dungeonscape), Skilled City Dweller (to get tumble), Elf Ranger

Total BAB: +17 CL 10 (14) IL 13

Stats: 32 PB
Str: 16
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 14
Cha: 6

Feats:
1st: Animal Cohort
1st class: Trap-finding, FE: Undead +3,
1st flaw: Dodge
1st flaw: Mobility
3rd: Blindfight
3rd bonus: Two-weapon fighting
4th bonus: Endurance
6th: Sword of the Arcane Order
7th: ITWF (Bonus Ranger)
9th: Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (Short Sword) [B]
12th: Craven
15th: Practiced Spellcaster (Ranger)
18th: Adaptable Maneuvers //Power Attack

TuggyNE
2012-11-16, 08:03 PM
My interpretation is that he does evil acts for good and lawful reasons. Generally, lawful evil does evil acts for evil reasons, right?

Not necessarily. Tarquin is LE despite trying to bring peace to a wartorn area: his methods are evil, despite his motives being neutral or good. ("You can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0760.html))

toapat
2012-11-16, 08:07 PM
SotAO won't work on an evil character, will it? Isn't mystra good?

Mystra is any Lawful or Any Good. TN, NE, CN, and CE are out.

This leads to the hilarious problem that you have CG and LE paladins in the same order.

gomipile
2012-11-17, 01:43 AM
In any case, who cares what alignment my character is? It is only incidental to my original question, which I'd like some discussion on. :D

toapat
2012-11-17, 01:58 AM
In any case, who cares what alignment my character is? It is only incidental to my original question, which I'd like some discussion on. :D

remember, as a Follower of Mystra, you will be hunted by OTHER followers of Mystra who feel you are not following Mystra's Dogma properly.

In other news, you have done most of the work of figuring out what your options are, other then Factotum or Spelltheif

RFLS
2012-11-17, 08:34 AM
Are you dead set on using the Wiz/Sorc lists? If you're not, the RKV would like to have a word with you.

You should also consider the Dark template.

gomipile
2012-11-17, 10:30 AM
Are you dead set on using the Wiz/Sorc lists? If you're not, the RKV would like to have a word with you.

You should also consider the Dark template.

I thought RKV didn't have spot, listen, or move silently?

toapat
2012-11-17, 11:58 AM
I thought RKV didn't have spot, listen, or move silently?

it should have Spot and Listen, being from the ToB where it was learned that everyone should have perception skills.

gomipile
2012-11-17, 12:44 PM
it should have Spot and Listen, being from the ToB where it was learned that everyone should have perception skills.

"Should" doesn't put food on my assassin's table. Less obliquely, I'm looking at the RKV's skill list right now, and here it is:

Balance, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump,
Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (religion), Martial Lore,
Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft.

Daebu
2012-11-17, 12:49 PM

Unless they were added in errata, it doesn't. :smallfrown: It does have Hide and reduced armor check for Hide. It is evident by the illustrations that the author intent was to have the possibility of being sneaky. Your DM might be willing to houserule move silently at least.

gomipile
2012-11-17, 01:33 PM
The area I'm having trouble in is weapon damage. Are there some spells or whatnot that can give this type of character reliable bonus damage without going Swift Hunter?

Amnestic
2012-11-17, 01:36 PM
errata

ToB Errata? You're a funny man :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2012-11-17, 02:52 PM
ToB Errata? You're a funny man :smalltongue:

There was the BG project, as I recall, I suppose.

toapat
2012-11-17, 03:03 PM
The area I'm having trouble in is weapon damage. Are there some spells or whatnot that can give this type of character reliable bonus damage without going Swift Hunter?

Extra Spell: Divine Sacrifice

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-17, 09:02 PM
Ferocity of the Sanguine Rage (Wiz 3/Assassin 4) 1/2 CL morale damage to melee attacks and can use a standard action to gain the benefit of True strike; but ends the spell.