PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Elemental Focus (Feat)

Mial
2012-11-16, 10:40 PM
I haven't found anything quite like these, although they seem kind of basic so I assume something similar has been proposed before.

First slight modification to Cold Focus (Frostburn)-

Elemental Focus
Benefit: Choose one type of energy (acid, cold, electricity, or fire). Add +1 to the DC for all saving throws against spells you cast with that descriptor. This bonus stacks with similar bonuses, such as those granted by Spell Focus and Greater Spell focus.
Special: You may select this feat multiple times. It's effects do not stack. Each time it applies to a different element.

Slight modification to Greater Cold Focus (Frostburn)-

Greater Elemental Focus
Prerequisite: Elemental Focus with selected element (acid, cold, electricity, or fire).
Benefit: Add +1 to the DC for all saving throws against spells with selected elemental descriptor. This bonus stacks with similar bonuses, such as those from Elemental Focus, Spell Focus, and Greater Spell Focus.
Special: You may select this feat multiple times. It's effects do not stack. Each time it applies to a different element with which you must have the prerequisite Elemental Focus feat.

Which leads to the 3rd, a new feat similar to Metamagic School Focus (Complete Mage)

Metamagic Elemental Focus
Prerequisite: Elemental Focus (chosen element) or Elemental Savant(Complete Arcane) of the chosen element.
Benefit: Choose an element (acid, cold, electricity, or fire) for which you have the Elemental Focus feat, or the element in which you have specialized. Three times per day, you can reduce by one level the cost of a metamagic feat applied to a spell of the chosen school. If you prepare spells, you can have only up to three such reduced-cost spells prepared at any time.
Special: A wizard can select this feat as a wizard bonus feat. This feat can be taken more than once. Each time it applies to a different element. You may not stack level reduction from this feat and Metamagic School Focus on the same spell, although you may have and use both feats on seperate spells (allowing a total of 6 spells with a metamagic level reduction, for example, an Evoker with the Metamagic School Focus feat and Metamagic Elemental Focus (Fire) could prepare a maximized Fireball at only +2 spell levels using this feat and a maximized Lightning Bolt at only +2 spell levels, but not a maximized Fireball at only +1 spell level.)

Garryl
2012-11-16, 11:34 PM
No love for sonic spells?

The name "Elemental" Focus is a bit misleading since your selection is based on energy descriptors rather than the elemental descriptors.

Mial
2012-11-16, 11:43 PM
Honestly Sonic was included when I first wrote it, but I ended up cutting it to bring it in line with the Energy Substitution/Admixture feats and the Elemental Savant PrC. However, I could easily see a houseruling on allowing Sonic in the pack (and by extension adding it to the Energy Substitution/Admixture feats.)

The naming thing is a pretty easy fix, assuming the rest of it is sound.

Techwarrior
2012-11-17, 12:20 AM
I"d allow them all to apply to Sonic as well.

Acanous
2012-11-17, 12:27 AM
Sonic does apply to Substitution, before Errata. They changed it out because everyone was taking it. (Most things do not have resist (Sonic)) It was entirely a game balance thing. Now, not many (Sonic) spells actually exist, and the ones that do, don't deal a whole lot of damage, so I can't see a reason not to allow these feats to apply to Sonic.