PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Battlesmith

dascarletm
2012-11-17, 01:32 PM
I've been thinking about making a battlesmith, how would you all progress into the class? I've heard Cleric as a solid choice. Is the PrC worth the spellcasting loss? The game is lower on the OP and I'm going to fill the role of tank and was planning on also healing/buffing.

How would you all go about it? Starting at 5 or 6 not sure probably going to high levels. Doing a lot of demon/devil fighting.

Psyren
2012-11-17, 01:52 PM
Artificer might be a good way to enter.

Ironsoul Forgemaster is a great PrC to combine with this, getting you a massive CL buff (+45) to any magic armor or weapon you craft because they explicitly stack. This makes Incarnate a good choice too.

evil-frosty
2012-11-17, 02:09 PM
Ironsoul Forgemaster is a great PrC to combine with this, getting you a massive CL buff (+45) to any magic armor or weapon you craft because they explicitly stack. This makes Incarnate a good choice too.

Can you show me the math/the how you get that +45 CL? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Psyren
2012-11-17, 02:12 PM
Can you show me the math/the how you get that +45 CL? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Battlesmith is 5 levels long, and gets 3x CL. 5 x 3 = 15
ISF is 10 levels long, and gets 3x CL. 10 x 3 = 30

30 + 15 = 45 before your base class.

Both PrCs include the following line:

"Your effective caster level for the purpose of crafting magic arms and armor is three times your {class level.} These effective levels also stack with any other caster levels that might apply."

Thus they stack.

evil-frosty
2012-11-17, 02:46 PM
Ah ok, I was missing something then. I did not catch the for crafting bit. Thank you.

dascarletm
2012-11-17, 02:52 PM
Sorry forgot to mention, because of my shenanigans a game before Artificer is not in his campaign. He is going to allow races of stone, and besides that he suggests that I keep close to core. Lot of newbies in this one. I'm thinking of having a warhammer of smackage.

Psyren
2012-11-17, 02:55 PM
How about Incarnate/ISF?

If that's not allowed, your best bet is probably a battle-focused Cleric, taking the CL hit on your casting to be able to craft CL 30 armor and weapons.

dascarletm
2012-11-17, 10:10 PM
How about Incarnate/ISF?

If that's not allowed, your best bet is probably a battle-focused Cleric, taking the CL hit on your casting to be able to craft CL 30 armor and weapons.

I'll need to run it by him. What can you do with CL 30 Arms and armor? I thought the limit of what you can make is 20 unless you get craft epic arms and armor.

Glimbur
2012-11-17, 10:44 PM
I'll need to run it by him. What can you do with CL 30 Arms and armor? I thought the limit of what you can make is 20 unless you get craft epic arms and armor.

Well, it would make it harder to suppress the magic on arms/armor you craft. Kind of a niche bonus, unless your DM is really in to chained dispel magic on magic gear.

You could make larger +'s sooner, which could be useful but expensive.

dascarletm
2012-11-17, 11:09 PM
Well, it would make it harder to suppress the magic on arms/armor you craft. Kind of a niche bonus, unless your DM is really in to chained dispel magic on magic gear.

You could make larger +'s sooner, which could be useful but expensive.

I see, are there any magic items with CLs over 20 that you don't need epic arms and armor for?

grarrrg
2012-11-18, 01:21 AM
If you enter with a Caster and DON'T plan on crafting much, than just take the 1 level. WIS-to-Damage is pretty nice.
If you aren't a Caster, and/or DO plan on crafting, then go nuts.