PDA

View Full Version : A Sonic-Feline Monster for a Lvl 3 Party?

Sir_Elderberry
2012-11-17, 01:50 PM
Hey guys. Last session my extremely bad handwriting led some of my level 3 Pathfinder party to mistake the word "shortcut" for "shout-cat", and a new table joke was born. A shout-cat is hardly that ridiculous compared to D&D magical beasts, so I figure why not throw it in next time the adventure needs one?

I haven't been able to find an exact analogue (i.e., a party-appropriate monster, preferably feline in nature, that uses some or many sonic attacks). I was looking into the refluffing/restatting existing monster route, and wasn't sure if you guys had any good suggestions for a base monster to use for this. Currently I was looking at downgrading and refluffing a Chimera (CR 7), giving it a sonic breath weapon rather than any of the listed options.

Psyren
2012-11-17, 01:54 PM
It's not sonic damage per se, but Krenshars (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/krenshar) are catlike and screech very loudly.

Zombulian
2012-11-17, 02:37 PM
Howlers are sorta like Pocupine-demon-cats. So there's that.

Gerrtt
2012-11-17, 02:48 PM
A hell-hound is CR 3, refluff it as a cat and make it sonic-based instead?

TuggyNE
2012-11-17, 08:41 PM
It's too high of CR, but you could adapt and tone down a destrachan if you like.

Kazyan
2012-11-17, 08:51 PM
Half-Sapphire Dragon gives a creature a sonic breath weapon 1/day. Slap that sucker on a Leopard Housecat and don't tell the party what it is.

EDIT: Noticed that they're level 3.

Runestar
2012-11-18, 12:02 AM
Savage species has the mighty roar feat, which lets an animal / magical beast unleash a roar which scares foes 1/day.

Alaris
2012-11-18, 03:24 AM
Do you mind me stealing this concept for a monster in my world? It sounds so funny, and I think it would fit. Gotta write something appropriate up, but it would be awesome.

Slipperychicken
2012-11-18, 01:28 PM
Slap Bard class levels on anything.

Sir_Elderberry
2012-11-21, 05:25 PM
A hell-hound is CR 3, refluff it as a cat and make it sonic-based instead?

I think I'm going with this, although half-dragon housecats are such a good idea that I am not sure yet...

@Alaris: as I said, my players came up with "shoutcat" based entirely on my mangling of "shortcut" so I don't really have any claim to it, do what you want