PDA

View Full Version : Is this unbalanced? 3,5E

Kerilstrasz
2012-11-18, 02:50 AM
Hey there...
i ll run a campaign in which PCs will be Homebrewed OP by having some things changed a bit ...
so... i ll boost some things on the core classes (PhB1) and what i need from you is
to tell me if those changes are too unbalancing (not with the world, but more with each other)..
so here we go...

Barbarian (edited)
Rage: +X/day rage (X=level)
Fast movement: Double the effect when in light load & light armor
Bard
Double the numeric effect of inspire courage
+10 on Bardic Knowledge 1/day
+1 Spell Slot for each Available level
Cleric (edited)
Choose 2
+1 Domain
+ X/day Turns/rebukes (X = Level)
Druid
Choose 2:
+2 Spell Slot for each Available level
+2/day Wild Shape
Animal Comp as if druid was 6 levels higher
Fighter (edited)
Now he can choose any feat he qualifies for, not only from fighter list.
+1 Feat every even level
OR
+1 Feat every 5 levels plus Wizards Will Saves plus 4 skills of players choice
becomes class skills
Monk (edited again)
1 die up for Unarmed Damage
OR
+2 AC(on his special)
(+10 feet on Unarmored Speed Bonus plus +1 feat per 3 levels for both choices)
Paladin (edited)
Bard's Spell Proggresion (-3 Spell Slot for each Available level)
OR
HD * 1,5 plus +2 smite/day
OR
Mount at level 3 plus +2 smite/day (treat Paladin's lvl +4 for mount's improvements)
Ranger
OR
Double amount of favorite enemies and effect
OR
True Shot as spell-like ab. X/day (X = level)
(all 3 options include: +20 on Track check 1/day)
Rogue
Sneak Attack can now crit. plus Invisibility as Spell-like ab. 1/day
OR
Sneak Attack is now 1d8 plus Invisibility as Spell-like ab. X/day (X = level)
OR
Sneak Attack is now 1d10 plus 1 skill has not rank limit (you may not choose search)
Sorcerer
(+4 Spell Slot for each Available level)
OR
(+2 Spell Slot for each Available level) plus +2 Spells Known for each available level
Wizard (edited again)
(+2 Spell Slot for each Available level) but double the pages needed
in spellbook to write a spell and double the cost of writing it (effectively quadrapleing it).
OR
-2 spell slots for each available level and get 1 spell of each available level as
SLA usable 1/day (XP costs must be paid as normal)
Sorcerer's & Wizard's Familiar
Treat Master level +3 for Familiar's improvements

Spell-like abilities mentioned above can only be used on one's self.

I realize that some options may be greatly better than others in the same class,
but that doesn't concern me... i want to know if you choose on every class
the boost you think the best, are they still balanced with each other???
to clarify, looking for the same balance WotC gives them in PhB1.

THNX a lot!

TuggyNE
2012-11-18, 03:18 AM
Hey there...
i ll run a campaign in which PCs will be Homebrewed OP by having some things changed a bit ...

I'm not sure what the point of homebrewing something is if it's accurately described by the term "overpowered".

Oh yes, you're fine! The power curves are very similar. Yep, you managed to give roughly the same balance between classes as PHB. That is to say, pretty much nil.

Barbarian is slightly more powerful, because Rage is nice. No big change though; +2.
Bard becomes slightly more interesting (and rather horribly more interesting if optimization is in play). Not too big a deal though, +2.
Cleric is happy about having another spell slot, but even happier if DMM is in play. Otherwise, doesn't matter, +1/+4.
Druid gets the first significant jump; any of the options makes a big difference, especially at low levels, and you get two of them. +3.
Fighter is still boring. +1.
Monk is even more boring. Seriously, +5 ft move speed (half the effect of the Quick trait) plus +1 damage (half the effect of Weapon Specialization)? +0.
Paladin gets spellcasting! +3.
Ranger gets spellcasting or half-useful favored enemies! +3.
Rogue does weird things to the core rules, and gets a swingier damage. +2.
Sorcerer abruptly becomes a ton more powerful at low levels and a bit more powerful at high levels. +4.
Wizard loses any vestige of low-level fragility. +4.
Familiars get fractionally more interesting and become less of a liability. +1.

Spiryt
2012-11-18, 05:54 AM
Pretty interesting, though Barbarian running in circles around other classes at low levels doesn't seem to be most fortunate ruling. :smallwink:

Full casters boosts are pretty damn scary, and make them even more overpowering compared to other classes. I would scratch those, generally.

Double amount of Favored enemies could probably use some table etc. - so on what level you now choose the next types, etc.

Yora
2012-11-18, 06:05 AM
All the weak classes get close to useless new things, all the very powerful classes get extremely good things.
Yes this is unbalanced, and even more so than usually.

Kasbark
2012-11-18, 07:54 AM
The Barbarian and the Monk gets some very lousy abilities while the prime spellcasters gain some pretty major advantages (+4 spells for each spell level? holy damn!)

all in all the choices seem somewhat poorly balanced.

Zelkon
2012-11-18, 09:00 AM
Insanely, insanely unbalanced. Wizards should be nerfed, along with druids and clerics. The fighter needs something spectacular. Etc etc. I know next to nothing about 3.5 balance out of core, but take my word, these rules are certainly not going to improve your game whatsoever.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-11-18, 10:57 AM
Agreed with all the others who say the full caster boosts are too much. They're already overpowered, compared with everything else in the game. And possibly even each other.

Barbarian fix helps, but he needs more feats and out-of-combat stuff.
Bard is nice, probably not too overpowered-- the class doesn't get really good until you start pulling in ACFs from splatbooks.
Cleric is no. He needs nerfed, not boosted. And he especially doesn't need a boost to one of the game's worst combos (Divine Metamagic + Persistent spell/Quicken spell/Whatever you want). I'd either reduce his HD and armor proficiency, or switch him to all-spells-known-spontaneous-casting with a list solely composed of Domain spells.
Druid is no. Again, he needs nerfed, not boosted. I like replacing Animal Companion bonuses with Familiar bonuses, and enforcing use of the Shapeshift ACF from the Player's Handbook 2 instead of wild shape. If you don't have access to the PHB, take out natural spell.
Fighter... well, if you give him more skill points, the second option helps. The ability to retrain a few (Int mod, maybe) feats/day at higher levels is another nice, easy boost.
Monk needs much, much more. I'd do one or more of the following: let them replace Strength with Wisdom on all rolls; make Flurry of Blows a standard action; give them free Spring Attack + upgrades; give them a full BAB; give them the ability to ignore size modifiers when attempting combat maneuvers; increased per/day usage of their abilities (Wis mod/day?).
Paladin ... if "Bard's Spell Progression" means up to 6th level cleric spells, that's a lovely boost. Otherwise, more smites- as in, +1 smite/level or more- are always good. Class needs to be a bit less multi-ability dependent and needs more skill points and a slightly improved list.
Ranger ... again, if "Bard's Spell Progression" means up to 6th level druid spells, that makes a good, solid class. Doubling of favored enemy bonuses should go with everything. They could also use less MAD, full caster level, and maybe some skirmish abilities.
Rogue boosts look Ok. I'd stick to the second, mind you-- the first makes silly damage stacking too easy, and the third opens the door for all kinds of Diplomacy cheese. Lots of invisibility is good, although, again, they could use more ability to sneak attack things normally immune to it and to lessen MAD.
Sorcerer doesn't mind a few more spells known per caster level, but that's all I'd do.
Wizard doesn't need the extra "free" spells known, and sure as **** doesn't need the extra spells/day. There's no good, easy way to fix wizards that doesn't turn into a painful-to-play-with nerf. Remove the benefits from specialization but still require it, maybe helps a bit.

Threadnaught
2012-11-18, 10:59 AM
Of course it's unbalanced, it's 3.5E, if you want balance, play 4E.

The important question is what's unbalanced about it and how you can make the classes more equal.
At the moment the Tier 1 Classes get too many nice things, while the lower Tiers get stuck with less fancy boosts that get more ineffectual the lower the Tier. You could either spend some time nerfing the higher Tier classes from the PHB versions, or spend some time shoring up the strengths of the lower Tier classes, until everyone resembles gods at level 12.

Whatever you think is best really. I'm no help here, I'm allergic to balance.

Amnoriath
2012-11-18, 12:47 PM
Hey there...
so... i ll boost some things on the core classes (PhB1) and what i need from you is
to tell me if those changes are too unbalancing (not with the world, but more with each other)..
so here we go...

Barbarian
Rage: Double the "per day" uses
Fast movement: Double the effect when in light load & light armor
Bard
Double the numeric effect of inspire courage
+10 on Bardic Knowledge 1/day
Cleric
+1 Domain
+ X/day Turns/rebukes (X = Level)
Druid
Choose 2:
+2 Spell Slot for each Available level
+2/day Wild Shape
Animal Comp as if druid was 6 levels higher
Fighter
+1 Feat every even level
OR
+1 Feat every 5 levels plus Wizards Will Saves plus 4 skills of players choice
becomes class skills
Monk
1 die up for Unarmed Damage plus +5 feet on Unarmored Speed Bonus
OR
+2 AC(on his special) plus +5 feet on Unarmored Speed Bonus
Paladin
OR
HD * 1,5 plus +2 smite/day
OR
Mount at level 3 plus +2 smite/day
Ranger
OR
Double amount of favorite enemies and effect
OR
True Shot as spell-like ab. X/day (X = level)
(all 3 options include: +20 on Track check 1/day)
Rogue
Sneak Attack can now crit. plus Invisibility as Spell-like ab. 1/day
OR
Sneak Attack is now 1d8 plus Invisibility as Spell-like ab. X/day (X = level)
OR
Sneak Attack is now 1d10 plus 1 skill has not rank limit (you may not choose search)
Sorcerer
OR
(+2 Spell Slot for each Available level) plus +2 Spells Known for each available level
Wizard
OR
(+2 Spell Slot for each Available level) plus +2 Spells acquired per level
Sorcerer's & Wizard's Familiar
Treat Master level +3 for Familiar's improvements

Spell-like abilities mentioned above can only be used on one's self.

I realize that some options may be greatly better than others in the same class,
but that doesn't concern me... i want to know if you choose on every class
the boost you think the best, are they still balanced with each other???

THNX a lot!
First, the Barbarian gets plenty of rage uses per day, maybe not at really low levels but if your DM is sicking multiple significant battles per day there they are cruel. What needs to happen is to have rage scale with level. Originally rage at best goes from adding +2 attack, +3 damage, +2 health per HD, and 2 will save to +4, 6, 4, and 4 at level 20. You didn't change that.
Cleric, Wizard, Bard, Sorcerer, and Druid do not need fixes like that. They have plenty of choices. If anything the Sorcerer needs some flavor. The Bard maybe can diversify its songs.
Monk-like characters can already rack up some pretty hefty fists of die for their strikes as well as being fast. The issue is that the item restrictions and taxes as well as low BAB/HD don't allow them to either be good as a melee character which is all they are. They are mainly used as a dip.
Ranger/Paladin casting, decent fixes but these characters need some better definitive class features. Paladin smite, a very poorly thought out ability. You know how I talked about rage, a Paladin's smite currently won't even deal that much damage on the one strike to an evil creature until level 3. I say allow them to add their charisma modifier to the extra damage as well their class level and for crying out loud count for good-aligned to bypass DR. Then make it usable 1+charisma mod times a day add one every 4 levels. As they would progress they could add additional effects such as stunning, fatigue, blind, and/or disintegration when it reduced an evil enemy's health to 0.
The ranger always sort of felt like the Druid wannabe having similar reduced features. You have a good start but get some more divination abilities in and maybe allow some knowledge checks for increased bonuses or bypassing defenses.

Kerilstrasz
2012-11-18, 05:04 PM
So..
what i get out of these...
i surely got that i need to nerf somehow the wiz...
maybe nerf druid just a bit?
boost monk and add some flavor to fighter (smthing like 1 or 2 spell-like abs might work?)

after these..
maybe change barbarians +2 rage to X/day (X = level) ???
maybe force Cleric to choose 2 of 3???

let me add the following...
each class will be awarded 1 extra feat per level and not per 3...
they will get full hd at lvl up and they will not roll...

thnx for the responses :)

Morcleon
2012-11-18, 05:19 PM
So..
what i get out of these...
i surely got that i need to nerf somehow the wiz...
maybe nerf druid just a bit?
boost monk and add some flavor to fighter (smthing like 1 or 2 spell-like abs might work?)

after these..
maybe change barbarians +2 rage to X/day (X = level) ???
maybe force Cleric to choose 2 of 3???

let me add the following...
each class will be awarded 1 extra feat per level and not per 3...
they will get full hd at lvl up and they will not roll...

thnx for the responses :)

Nerf the wizard. Nerf the cleric. Nerf the druid. Nerf the sorcerer (but not as much as the other three).

Boost monk by a lot. Not like "a few more SLAs, and maybe some more feats". More like, "bonus feats every three levels, all current class features at-will, no Slow Fall wall/distance restriction, more SLAs like haste, shadow walk and various wu jen spells, full BAB, d10 HD, and more good class features". Also, give them some Setting Sun maneuvers.

Give fighter several good SLAs. Things like wraithstrike, haste, true strike, various things from the duskblade/hexblade lists. Also, remove restrictions on their bonus feats and give them pounce and some ToB maneuvers.

Give barbarian at higher levels rage at-will. Give bard/paladin/ranger more spells/spell levels. Let them pick between prepared and spontaneous.

Give all non-full caster classes 1 feat/level. The full HP won't change much.

That will be all from rant!Morcleon. :smalltongue::smallbiggrin::smallwink:

TuggyNE
2012-11-18, 07:16 PM
Nerf the wizard. Nerf the cleric. Nerf the druid. Nerf the sorcerer (but not as much as the other three).

To extend this a bit, you need to not only reduce the amount of boost you're giving to those classes, you need to actually take away versatility or power from their Core forms. They are already overpowered, even with all the suggested changes to other classes, and need to be reduced still more. Of course, nerfing full casters is generally non-trivial; if you don't want to deal with that, you can get by with simply not giving them any boosts at all (or give them unrelated boosts that don't affect anything); there'll still be a fair imbalance, but at least it won't be as bad as Core.

The extra feats means hardly any builds will be feat-starved, and may improve versatility a bit, but isn't too big a deal (and doesn't change inter-class balance much, since some full caster builds are feat-starved normally). Maximized HP is nice, but doesn't change much besides making high-HD classes less subject to the whims of the dice, so it's a slight positive change.

Kerilstrasz
2012-11-20, 02:12 AM
Did some edits on the original...
how does it seems now? bit better?

TuggyNE
2012-11-20, 03:00 AM
Did some edits on the original...
how does it seems now? bit better?

It's slightly better than the original, but still worse than default Core balance, since the casters still get boosts to their casting and mundanes are left with boosts of an inferior grade. (Note, too, that allowing Fighter levels to grant unrestricted bonus feats makes for prime dipping material.)

Monk's choice between either "speed and feats and damage" or "slightly more AC" seems bizarre, since no one is likely to value +2 AC enough to take it.

Wizard's ability to change two spell slots into a 1/day SLA of the same is a flat nerf in nearly all cases, and since it's optional, no one will ever take it willingly. (With the exception of stupidly broken things like 1/day wish with no XP cost.) Also, it largely duplicates one of the Archmage's High Arcana options (albeit with fewer restrictions and a simplified costing), which seems odd.

Kerilstrasz
2012-11-20, 10:38 AM
Monk's choice between either "speed and feats and damage" or "slightly more AC" seems bizarre, since no one is likely to value +2 AC enough to take it.

i maybe wrote it wrong... speed and feats are for both choices... you got to choose
between dmg or ac...

Wizard's ability to change two spell slots into a 1/day SLA of the same is a flat nerf in nearly all cases, and since it's optional, no one will ever take it willingly. (With the exception of stupidly broken things like 1/day wish with no XP cost.) Also, it largely duplicates one of the Archmage's High Arcana options (albeit with fewer restrictions and a simplified costing), which seems odd.

hmm.. didnt think about wish.. i ll think how to correct this, and the 1st choice
also.. so it isn't boost or nerf option...

how about the rest changes???

Kerilstrasz
2012-11-20, 02:05 PM
Done nerfing (i think) both wiz choices...

how does it look now? wiz better? the rest classes?

ngilop
2012-11-20, 06:16 PM
Im confused here a bit by your goals.

are you trying to increase the power gap ebtween the big 4 (sorcerer, wizard, druid, cleric) and the rest of the classes exponetially or are you trying to make all the classes overpowered

becuase you can triple what youve given all the other classes and honestly just leave wizard, cleric, druid and sorcerer alone and they would still be many, many times more powerful than the other classes.

Kerilstrasz
2012-11-20, 06:24 PM
Im confused here a bit by your goals.

are you trying to increase the power gap ebtween the big 4 (sorcerer, wizard, druid, cleric) and the rest of the classes exponetially or are you trying to make all the classes overpowered

becuase you can triple what youve given all the other classes and honestly just leave wizard, cleric, druid and sorcerer alone and they would still be many, many times more powerful than the other classes.

well.. maybe i should said that right at the start...
my goal is to Boost all of the classes by the same amount...
if for example Wiz is a 10 and fighter a 4 in the core phb, then i want after the boost
to be wiz 15 and fighter 9...
i want to keep the balance that WotC gave them... i know there is no balance,
but whatever that is i want to keep it by boost em all the same amount.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-11-20, 06:31 PM

Why, if I may ask?

ngilop
2012-11-20, 06:33 PM
well what you gave the fighter is not going to get him past a 4 to use your example.. you basically made the wizard a 40 and stuck the fighter and a 4 still

just the druids animal companion is now a 15...

General Patton
2012-11-20, 06:44 PM
well.. maybe i should said that right at the start...
my goal is to Boost all of the classes by the same amount...
if for example Wiz is a 10 and fighter a 4 in the core phb, then i want after the boost
to be wiz 15 and fighter 9...

You don't seem to understand the metric by which class balance is measured/compared. It is not a linear scale. Essentially, full casters can already do virtually anything/everything. Improving them further generally has either no effect or makes them exponentially more capable of doing everything.

Just read this. http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=bc18425e5fa73d30e4a9a54889edf4 4e&topic=5293

TuggyNE
2012-11-20, 10:26 PM
Done nerfing (i think) both wiz choices...

how does it look now? wiz better? the rest classes?

Wizard's SLA option is still vulnerable to abuse of expensive material components/focuses.

I'd suggest phrasing Monk's boost roughly as follows (as well as, perhaps, increasing it more):

Increase Unarmored Speed Bonus by +10 feet AND
One bonus feat (any qualified for) per 3 levels AND one of the following:
1 die size increase for Unarmed Damage
OR
Improve AC Bonus by +2

I believe I critiqued all the class boosts to start with, and anything I haven't mentioned since still has the same points to make about it. One exception: I forgot to mention the oddity of Rogue getting unbounded skill ranks (a dangerous thing in itself) except for Search — how is Search the skill you're worried about, and not, say, UMD or Diplomacy or Forgery, or even Disable Device or Spot or Tumble?

You don't seem to understand the metric by which class balance is measured/compared. It is not a linear scale. Essentially, full casters can already do virtually anything/everything. Improving them further generally has either no effect or makes them exponentially more capable of doing everything.

Yes, this. The extra spell slots, animal companion boosts, and what-not are either interesting trappings to a class that can do anything it wants anyway, or else make it even easier and more likely for someone to discover how to do anything they want with the class. (Not to mention more unpleasantly trivial for someone who knows their way around the class to do things, multiple times per day, that massively disrupt the campaign or setting.)

Kerilstrasz
2012-11-21, 09:32 AM
I forgot to mention the oddity of Rogue getting unbounded skill ranks (a dangerous thing in itself) except for Search — how is Search the skill you're worried about, and not, say, UMD or Diplomacy or Forgery, or even Disable Device or Spot or Tumble?

well... this campaign is to be played by a certain group of ppl that i know how they think
and play...
they, for some reason, don't like casters.. so thats why im boosting them...
to make them think it once more before they all roll a barbarian or a rogue...
the group's rogue is a search junkie and i want her to try and see how other skills work and have fun with em...
i certainly want them to use fighter for dip material and for the same reason i give em
extra feats per lvl and not per 3 lvls.. cause i want em to read smthing else beside
phb1 &2 ...
they are not optimizers.. they won't cheese anything.. and thats cause they haven't read...
so... by giving them these OP chars i kinda force em to read and start optimizing...

Yitzi
2012-11-21, 10:25 AM
well... this campaign is to be played by a certain group of ppl that i know how they think
and play...
they, for some reason, don't like casters.. so thats why im boosting them...
to make them think it once more before they all roll a barbarian or a rogue...

Better approach if you want to show them the power of casters as compared to barbarian-sorts: Make a wizard villain, and play him taking full advantage of the class's capabilities. Next game, one of them might want to try it.

Kerilstrasz
2012-11-21, 12:08 PM
Better approach if you want to show them the power of casters as compared to barbarian-sorts: Make a wizard villain, and play him taking full advantage of the class's capabilities. Next game, one of them might want to try it.

nuh... tried that... i will just be the bad DM with the OP npcs and hint starved campaign :P

Grod_The_Giant
2012-11-21, 12:24 PM
If the issue is player comfort zones, then... this gets a bit tricky. Changing the rules of the game to shake people up can work well, or it can cause resentment. This feels like the sort of thing better handled with out-of-game discussion, in all honestly.

In any case, if your players don't like casters, you must ask yourself-- or, better yet, ask them-- why. Too much bookkeeping? Intimidated by spell lists? Afraid of running out of things to do? Fear of squishiness? Desire to avoid the temptation of an overpowered class? All of those things are valid reasons not to play a caster, but the solutions are quite different.

Kerilstrasz
2012-11-21, 05:25 PM
In any case, if your players don't like casters, you must ask yourself-- or, better yet, ask them-- why. Too much bookkeeping? Intimidated by spell lists? Afraid of running out of things to do? Fear of squishiness? Desire to avoid the temptation of an overpowered class? All of those things are valid reasons not to play a caster, but the solutions are quite different.

Those are the main reasons...

Yitzi
2012-11-21, 08:52 PM
So maybe the right approach is to use a caster modification that addresses those concerns. How's this for an idea:
All non-PHB spells are removed. Wizards are restricted to 2 schools each, sorcerers to 4 (chosen at start). Clerics use one of the "cast from domains only" homebrews floating around; see if you can find one that you like. And cut out about half the druid spell list (keep only the stuff that's going to be used fairly often.) That should make the available lists substantially smaller and less intimidating.
In exchange for these restrictions, casters can cast at-will, though any spell whose level is more than 1/4 the class level (rounded up) takes two rounds to cast. (And that should get rid of the bookkeeping issue.)

toapat
2012-11-21, 09:43 PM
Just go hunt down some fixes people have posted, Grod and I both have done Paladin fixes (well, ive done 5), while He has done a fighter and i A fighter/Barbarian/rogue/Knight and a portion of the SRD feats.

Quick fixes dont work, because there is nothing quick about rebalancing the classes, other then ranger who can probably be fixed with a few staples and a bit of glue, like how Mystic Wildshape ranger is a T3 class.

Here is a small cross section of the Class Fixes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12909996&postcount=1)

Grod_The_Giant
2012-11-21, 11:18 PM
Those are the main reasons...
If those are the problems, none of your caster changes are really going to help. In fact, more spells known is only going to make them scarier.

If really you want your players to try casters, really aren't too worried about balance, and aren't afraid of a bit of work...

Come up with a few archetypes (evoker, necromancer, illusionist, and so on)
Pick 2-4 spells of each level to make a list appropriate to the archetype.
Players can cast a set number of spells of any level per day. Maybe 1/2 level times casting ability modifier?

Leaves you with a non-scary number of spells (and you can print out the descriptions of your entire list pretty easily if you really want), and a pretty simple way of calculating spell expenditure.

So you might wind up with something like this:

The Evoker
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Summon familiar, Evocations
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Bonus feat
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Bonus feat
11th|+5|+3|+3|+7|
12th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|
13th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|
14th|+7/+2|+4|+4|+9|
15th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+9|Bonus feat
16th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|
17th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|
18th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|
19th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|
20th|+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Bonus feat [/table]
Hit Die: d6
Skills: As wizard, plus Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate.
Weapons and Armor Proficiency: All simple weapons and light armor but no shields. An evoker can cast in light armor without incurring arcane spell failure.

Summon Familiar: As wizard/sorcerer

Bonus Feats: Metamagic only

Evocations: An evoker casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must (see below).

To learn or cast a spell, an evoker must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an evoker’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the sorcerer’s Charisma modifier.

Like other spellcasters, an evoker can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Each day, he can cast a number of spells equal to his level multiplied by one-half his Charisma modifier.

An evoker only knows a very limited number of spells, as shown on the table below. At the indicated level, he learns the indicated spells.

{table=head]Level |Max spell level|Spells Learned
1|1|Magic Missile, Burning Hands
2|1|Shocking Grasp, Floating Disk
3|2|Scorching Ray, Gust of Wind
4|2|Flaming Sphere, Shatter
5|3|Fireball, Explosive Runes
6|3|Lightning Bolt, Sleet Storm
7|4|Fire Shield, Wall of Ice
8|4|Ice Storm, Wall of Fire
9|5|Cone of Cold, Interposing Hand
10|5|Wall of Force, Telekinesis
11|6|Chain Lightning, Forceful Hand
12|6|Freezing Sphere, Disintegrate
13|7|Delayed Blast Fireball, Grasping Hand
14|7|Prismatic Spray, Forcecage
15|8|Sunburst, Greater Shout
26|8|Clenched Fist, Prismatic Wall
17|9|Meteor Swarm, Crushing Hand
18|9|Prismatic Sphere
19|9|Mage's Disjunction
20|9|Time Stop[/table]

Just a few minute's thought and a rifle through the PHB. You might also slap in class features like the ability to change the energy type of spells, increase the caster level damage caps, add a few eclectic learning's (add one arcane spell of any school to your list at one level higher than normal), and so on.