PDA

View Full Version : Combat for a tank and a sneaky bastard

Qintopon
2012-11-18, 04:14 AM
I'm looking for a monster (or group of monsters) that a tank player and a sneaky bastard player can fight. Deliberately pushing them to work together is the goal. Any ideas? The monsters needs to be non human, N, CN, or LN and come from rhe material plane.

Ranting Fool
2012-11-18, 06:13 AM
First thing that comes to mind is any large low int monstrous creature since most mindless creatures tend to be immune/resistant to sneaky type tactics/abilities.

Qintopon
2012-11-19, 10:23 AM
Hmmm... Ok

Flickerdart
2012-11-19, 11:17 AM
Unfortunately, most good mindless creatures to use are either Undead or Constructs, and thus immune to the sneaky bastard's Sneak Attack (assuming that he is a Rogue or Ninja or some such). You're left with pretty much just vermin. What level and build are they anyway? Does the sneaky bastard use melee weapons, or ranged?

The obvious solution is to have the tank grapple something while the sneaky bastard shoots or stabs it. If the sneaky bastard is an archer, tripping or Stand Still could be another way to lock it down. Flanking won't help, because unless the tank is a Knight or had Goad, there's very little he can do to persuade the monster to attack him and not the squishy knife guy.

Andreaz
2012-11-19, 11:26 AM
Hmm... I don't understand how you want to bring about "they need to work together"... As far as "fighting an enemy goes", all it takes for their work to match is...doing their jobs.
1) The tank tanks.
2) The sneaky stabs the stuff aiming at the tank.

Everything else is not "role-sensitive", so to say.

Diarmuid
2012-11-19, 11:30 AM
I'm also curious about what else you might have mind for "work together" other than "Flank to kill".

Barring interesting ACF/Magic Item choices, they really dont have a whole lot else they can really do unless you're talking about the encounter being more than the battle itself. Sneak doing some scouting, Tank using Craft skills to create some kind of trap, etc.

Ketiara
2012-11-19, 12:26 PM
I'm also curious about what else you might have mind for "work together" other than "Flank to kill".

Barring interesting ACF/Magic Item choices, they really dont have a whole lot else they can really do unless you're talking about the encounter being more than the battle itself. Sneak doing some scouting, Tank using Craft skills to create some kind of trap, etc.

Well having played a ranged rogue, for a few years ive often found it baffeling how the BSF keep forgetting to move the 5" to keep flanking or for me to be able to only move a little to keep up the flanking possition.