PDA

View Full Version : Needing help with philosopher's steel...

vampsarecool86
2012-11-18, 05:50 AM
Taken from the Ultimate Equipment Guide Volume 1

Philosopher’s Steel
This unusual gold metal does not tarnish, reflect anything on its surface or chip. It is not subject to wear, cannot be harmed by fire or acid and can only be unmade by direct exposure to sunlight, starlight and moonlight at the same time.
Weapons made of philosopher’s steel become effectively indestructible. They are completely immune to fire, acid and cold damage. They have a hardness of 50 and 150 hit points. Furthermore they repair damage at a rate of three hit points per round.
Enchanting a weapon made of philosopher’s steel costs three times the usual amount, but only costs three-quarters the typical XP expenditure.

This interesting metal has no other mention aside from as a weapon alloy. I'm looking for help to see about building a suit of spiked full plate (non-magical) using it though and have run into a snag. The only price listed is +1,000 gp to selected weapon. Obviously a 60lb suit of spiked full plate is going to require a lot more than any weapon being crafted with this metal so I'm wondering about a base price guide for light, medium, and heavy armors and possible damage reduction considering the hardness and hitpoint factor blow adamantine out of the water... Any help would be most thankful.

Yitzi
2012-11-18, 12:49 PM
Comparing to adamantine (the only Core special material that costs the same bonus amount for all weapons) suggests that full plate should be 5 times the cost of a weapon, not counting the cost of the spikes (which would be treated as a weapon.)

Debihuman
2012-11-20, 08:04 AM
Taken from the Ultimate Equipment Guide Volume 1

This interesting metal has no other mention aside from as a weapon alloy. I'm looking for help to see about building a suit of spiked full plate (non-magical) using it though and have run into a snag. The only price listed is +1,000 gp to selected weapon. Obviously a 60 lb. suit of spiked full plate is going to require a lot more than any weapon being crafted with this metal so I'm wondering about a base price guide for light, medium, and heavy armors and possible damage reduction considering the hardness and hit point factor blow adamantine out of the water... Any help would be most thankful.

According too the book, you can only use this on a weapon. You cannot make a suit of armor from it. That's why it is listed under weapon properties but not armor properties. Not that I'm surprised since Mongoose Publishing's stuff is pretty uneven.

Debby

Ashtagon
2012-11-20, 08:14 AM
...can only be unmade by direct exposure to sunlight, starlight and moonlight at the same time....

This is actually ridiculously common. It happens on about 50% of all days.

Yitzi
2012-11-20, 10:05 AM
This is actually ridiculously common. It happens on about 50% of all days.

Far more, since it can be any time of day rather than just one specific time of day.

Ashtagon
2012-11-20, 11:33 AM
Far more, since it can be any time of day rather than just one specific time of day.

Yeah, but on any given day, there's about a 50:50 chance the Moon is on the wrong side of the planet to send reflected light to you.

Yitzi
2012-11-20, 01:19 PM
Yeah, but on any given day, there's about a 50:50 chance the Moon is on the wrong side of the planet to send reflected light to you.

At any given time on any given day, you mean. The number of days with some time in which the moon is visible is significantly larger.

sengmeng
2012-11-20, 02:31 PM
So you wear a cloak over your armor.

How could something be forgeable into a weapon but not armor? Is it alive or something?

Also, if it is nearly indestructible, you wouldn't need to use as thick of plates to make the armor compared to making it from steel. Shouldn't need 60 lbs.

vampsarecool86
2012-11-22, 09:56 PM
So you wear a cloak over your armor.

How could something be forgeable into a weapon but not armor? Is it alive or something?

Also, if it is nearly indestructible, you wouldn't need to use as thick of plates to make the armor compared to making it from steel. Shouldn't need 60 lbs.

Thanks for that... From what I understand it's just a rare alloy. And as for the weight I used the base weight as the standard since that's the one part of the list it gave was that weapon weights were unchanged... That's ok though since I made my argument that all it did was increase the hit points of the armor...

We also made the argument that because the metal regenerates itself that if the armor ever takes too much damage to become broken that the armor would be usable again after it mends...

And as for it being only used as a weapon alloy only, that's why I asked for homebrew help to make it an armor alloy as well... It makes no sense that something that is strong enough to hit shouldn't be equally strong enough to deflect as well...