PDA

View Full Version : PC version of Thri-Kreen, PEACH

zzuxon
2012-11-18, 03:27 PM
So, I'm making a campaign setting in which Thri-Kreen are a PC race, and I didn't want to screw around with LA. So, I just nerfed Thri-Kreen. I'd like to know if these are suitable.

+2 Strength,+2 Dex, -2 Wisdom, -4 Cha
Treated as monstrous humanoid, not affected by hold person, etc.
Immune to Sleep Effects
+2 natural armor.
+6 to jump checks
+6 to climb checks
Can choose between 2 exoskeletons:
Grey: +4 to hide checks in rocky areas or cities.
Tan: +4 to hide in sandy or arid areas.
Has 4 arms. The 2 smaller bottom arms cannot make unarmed attacks, but can use weapons.
1 bonus powerpoint at first level if the Thri-Kreen has levels in Psion.
Gythka and chitka are martial weapons.
Open Circulatory system: Very vulnerable to bleeding. Accrues further damage after being damaged. Effects cease and restart if the character is healed or stabilized with a heal check. Effects based on round after the damage displayed below.
1. 1 HP
2.3 HP
3. 5HP
4.6 HP, 1 con damage
5.9 HP
6.11HP, Dazed
7.15 HP
8.17 HP, 1 con damage
9.20 HP
10.25 HP

bobthe6th
2012-11-18, 05:21 PM
um... why not just take the extra pair of arms and make them a feat chain? a first level character with four arms is a problem...

zzuxon
2012-11-18, 05:59 PM
um... why not just take the extra pair of arms and make them a feat chain? a first level character with four arms is a problem...

Well, they'd need a feat to make using all 4 arms viable. their are like -10 penalties if you don't take a feat.
After you take the feat, there is still a penalty, just a smaller one.

Kazyan
2012-11-18, 06:16 PM
Question: If I wanted to play a martial character, and had this option for a race, why would I ever not take it? From a mechanical standpoint, anyway.

vasharanpaladin
2012-11-18, 07:56 PM
Gnorman made a decent version here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141597). Look for the "mantid" race.

zzuxon
2012-11-18, 08:53 PM
Question: If I wanted to play a martial character, and had this option for a race, why would I ever not take it? From a mechanical standpoint, anyway.

Open Circulatory System. Also, If you were a paladin you wouldn't want to be a Kreen because of the Wisdom penalty.

Gnorman made a decent version here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141597). Look for the "mantid" race.
Ah, I love Malamundas. I actually haven't looked at that race too closely, so I will.

Hanuman
2012-11-19, 06:16 AM

Isn't a problem for Siarran characters.

I'd suggest taking out the circulatory all-together.

Here's the Siarran's balancepoint, assuming no claws are involved:

Weak Lower-Arms: The lower arms of a thri-kreen are much thinner than her upper arms and do not benefit from the muscles throughout the torso. As a result, the Thri-kreen's lower arms suffer a -2 penalty to strength.

The base stats equate to 0 and don't add to strength, and you can qualify for greater multiweapon fighting, improved multiweapon defense, improved multiweapon fighting, multidexterity, multiweapon defense, or multiweapon fighting whenever you could regularly learn a feat.

That's pretty much how a +0 class with 4 arms works in 3.5, you could use sub-arm rules which allows you to have arms that don't always count as arms, but that's not really thri-kreen. Though it would allow you to dual-wield greatswords.

zzuxon
2012-11-20, 06:53 PM
Isn't a problem for Siarran characters.

I'd suggest taking out the circulatory all-together.

Here's the Siarran's balancepoint, assuming no claws are involved:

Weak Lower-Arms: The lower arms of a thri-kreen are much thinner than her upper arms and do not benefit from the muscles throughout the torso. As a result, the Thri-kreen's lower arms suffer a -2 penalty to strength.

The base stats equate to 0 and don't add to strength, and you can qualify for greater multiweapon fighting, improved multiweapon defense, improved multiweapon fighting, multidexterity, multiweapon defense, or multiweapon fighting whenever you could regularly learn a feat.

That's pretty much how a +0 class with 4 arms works in 3.5, you could use sub-arm rules which allows you to have arms that don't always count as arms, but that's not really thri-kreen. Though it would allow you to dual-wield greatswords.

An interesting idea. I changed it to the lower arms don't add their strength modifier and can only use light weapons, so it's similar.