PDA

View Full Version : Halo 4: Spartan Ops/War-games concern

oblivion6
2012-11-18, 06:10 PM
so i just recently got my hands on a copy of halo 4 and discovered the campaign was on 1 disk and the multiplayer had its own install disk. at first i thought that was odd, but it wasnt a big issue until i actually found out how much space it took up...3.5 Gigabytes! the maximum my hard-drive can hold is 3.3 Gigs...so my question is how do they expect the standard players to actually...well, play when their wbox wont even hold that much data?

Mando Knight
2012-11-18, 07:03 PM
They expect the players interested in Spartan Ops to use the 250 GB box rather than the 4 GB one.

GloatingSwine
2012-11-18, 07:15 PM
Man, you should try Battlefield 3 sometime. Think there's something like 5GB of mandatory patches by now, since they enforce compatibility by making everyone download the DLC even if they don't buy it.

Anyway, whack a hard drive in that sucker and start installing your games, the amount of noise the disc drive makes even in the newest xboxen is insanity.

Jonzac
2012-11-20, 02:14 PM
I thought to use Xbox Live you had to have the 250GB hard drive anyway? Was I wrong?

CreganTur
2012-11-20, 03:16 PM
I thought to use Xbox Live you had to have the 250GB hard drive anyway? Was I wrong?

Very wrong. Live is available for all models of the XBOX- even the HD-less Arcade version.

Ricky S
2012-11-22, 07:51 AM
I have the 4gb version as well. Is it possible to just attach an external hard drive and use that through the xbox? Or do I have to go and purchase a whole new xbox? So frustrating.

Sipex
2012-11-22, 04:40 PM
Well, you're both in luck, because you have several options at your disposal.

First option, is buying a new xbox 360 hard drive. This is essentially a plug & play thing...except you have to get your data off the old hard drive first, which can suck. You'll need an Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Kit to do this and can get one from your local game retailer.

Second (and, imo, easiest) option, is to buy an external hard drive for the 360. Make sure you get one made for the 360 (ie: an Xbox External HD). From what I can tell, it's literally plug and play.

Third option, similar to the second but you buy your own external HD and attach it to the 360. Instructions on How (http://techtips.salon.com/use-usb-hard-drive-xbox-360-2410.html).

Finally, you could get a usb flash drive (16gb or smaller) and attach it for some easy, extra storage space. General support information on USB key compatibility (support.xbox.com/xbox-360/accessories/usb-flash-drive)

Ricky S
2012-11-23, 07:41 AM
Well, you're both in luck, because you have several options at your disposal.

First option, is buying a new xbox 360 hard drive. This is essentially a plug & play thing...except you have to get your data off the old hard drive first, which can suck. You'll need an Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Kit to do this and can get one from your local game retailer.

Second (and, imo, easiest) option, is to buy an external hard drive for the 360. Make sure you get one made for the 360 (ie: an Xbox External HD). From what I can tell, it's literally plug and play.

Third option, similar to the second but you buy your own external HD and attach it to the 360. Instructions on How (http://techtips.salon.com/use-usb-hard-drive-xbox-360-2410.html).

Finally, you could get a usb flash drive (16gb or smaller) and attach it for some easy, extra storage space. General support information on USB key compatibility (support.xbox.com/xbox-360/accessories/usb-flash-drive)

Awesome! Thanks for that. Second option is indeed the best. Maybe I can finally play some online multiplayer.

oblivion6
2012-11-23, 07:04 PM
Awesome! Thanks for that. Second option is indeed the best. Maybe I can finally play some online multiplayer.

I will probably go for the flash drive option seeing as how I think I might have a couple spares of appropriate size laying around.

KillianHawkeye
2012-11-24, 03:23 PM
I don't have Halo 4, but I was under the impression that you never HAD to install the game files for any XBox game. Can't you just run it off the disc like normal? :smallconfused:

HALO 3 ODST came with two discs like that as well. Disc 1 was the ODST campaign and multiplayer, while Disc 2 had the complete HALO 3 multiplayer on it, and you can play that straight off the disc without installing anything.

oblivion6
2012-11-24, 05:28 PM
I don't have Halo 4, but I was under the impression that you never HAD to install the game files for any XBox game. Can't you just run it off the disc like normal? :smallconfused:

HALO 3 ODST came with two discs like that as well. Disc 1 was the ODST campaign and multiplayer, while Disc 2 had the complete HALO 3 multiplayer on it, and you can play that straight off the disc without installing anything.

The only option it gives me is "install game" or something along those lines.

KillianHawkeye
2012-11-24, 07:22 PM
Well I Google'd it and it seems you are right, it does require installation. That's a weird decision to me, but I'm not a big-time game developer so what do I know.

I did discover that it's possible to only install one of the two multiplayer modes through XBox LIVE. War Games requires 2 GB, while Spartan Ops requires 1.45 GB.
Instructions: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/halo/halo-4-storage

Doing this will also let you install both parts to two different storage locations, if that helps.