PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a clone-like spell

Stabbald
2012-11-19, 06:14 AM
I'm sure I've seen a spell similar to Clone in which the clone immediately tries to hunt down and kill the original, but I can't seem to find it. The Clone spell itself doesn't work this way, has anyone seen anything that meets that description?

Amiria
2012-11-19, 06:28 AM
That would be Ice Assassin, I guess. Source = Frostburn; 9th level spell.

TuggyNE
2012-11-19, 06:32 AM
Ice assassin is correct, and I believe clone used to function in this way as well under certain circumstances.

Venger
2012-11-19, 01:15 PM
I'm sure I've seen a spell similar to Clone in which the clone immediately tries to hunt down and kill the original, but I can't seem to find it. The Clone spell itself doesn't work this way, has anyone seen anything that meets that description?

a mirror of opposition (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#mirrorofOpposition) also pretty much does this if it wasn't ice assassin, as people have already said.

Diarmuid
2012-11-19, 02:14 PM
Artifact from 2E version of the spell where the clone actually is the person and they are aware of each other and will try to rid the world of the other or go insane and kill itself.

The Random NPC
2012-11-19, 04:53 PM
There's also the Demi-plane of Mirrors, every time you go there you are cloned and it tries to kill you. If you kill it, you aren't cloned anymore, but if it kills you it can leave the plane.

Wookie-ranger
2012-11-19, 07:27 PM
Simulacrum would do the same.
Get something from the person/creature you want to 'clone', make the simulacrum, order it to find and kill the original.

Even though this would work it is sup-par, because the Simulacrum is not as powerful as the original.

Venger
2012-11-19, 07:44 PM
Even though this would work it is sup-par, because the Simulacrum is not as powerful as the original.

well, one isn't, but two or three or four are more than a match for it, as is a half strength creature of 2x or more power

Stabbald
2012-11-20, 07:57 AM
Artifact from 2E version of the spell where the clone actually is the person and they are aware of each other and will try to rid the world of the other or go insane and kill itself.

This must have been it. I suppose I could use a Mirror of Opposition, but it doesn't quite have the flavor that I'm interested in.

The reason I asked was that the party in my game is going to need to go to the bad guys for help and they will need to leave one of their own with them for some time in a dormant state. I was thinking of having the bad guys harvest a sample and growing a clone to spring on the party a few months down the road (I would advance the clone in levels to represent the evil guys training the clone).

I suppose I could just do it anyway, it would have just been nice to have a mechanical reason to justify it.

I guess I *could* use a Mirror of Opposition, but then the bad guys would have to interrupt the fight and then delete the party member's memories so that he forgets about it.

Radar
2012-11-20, 02:06 PM
There is also a thing called Aleax (in Book of Exalted Deeds I guess), which is a kind of a clone designed to kill it's original with a set of solid buffs and additional abilities. Depending on your players prowess, you might have to tone it down, but it would still make sense.