PDA

View Full Version : Dweomerkeeper and Epic spells

barna10
2012-11-19, 01:12 PM
Here's a wicked thought, Dweomerkeepers can use their Supernatural Spell ability to enhance their Epic Spells! That means they can cast some pretty wicked stuff without any costly components or XP costs! Wow

I'm designing an epic progression for a Wizard/Archivist/Geomancer/Dweomer Keeper utilizing Battle Blessing. He may be too much...

Xervous
2012-11-19, 11:05 PM
Ah, its always nice to be reminded how easily the epic material is to break.

+1 for a laugh before bed.

Arcanist
2012-11-19, 11:53 PM
Ah, its always nice to be reminded how easily the epic material is to break.

+1 for a laugh before bed.

I've always wondered if an Archmage can have an Epic spell as one of their spell-like abilities :smallsigh:

barna10
2012-11-20, 12:13 AM
I've always wondered if an Archmage can have an Epic spell as one of their spell-like abilities :smallsigh:

No, it has no spell level.

TuggyNE
2012-11-20, 02:14 AM
No, it has no spell level.

More precisely, while Epic Spells do have an effective level of 10, they are not cast from slots, so it can't be done.

TheGeckoKing
2012-11-20, 02:23 PM
More precisely, while Epic Spells do have an effective level of 10, they are not cast from slots, so it can't be done.

Contention: It only requires that you have the spell slot of the appropriate level to give up, not that it be cast from said slot. Not the most fantastic trick, but past Epic Spellcasting you probably have room to take Improved Spell Capacity anyway.

Feralventas
2012-11-20, 02:39 PM
Epic spells have a set of slots separate from the standard 1-9 set, and are not included via Improved Spell Capacity; an epic spellcaster gains one epic spell slot per 10 ranks in their appropriate Knowledge skill: Arcana for arcane, Religion for Divine, or Nature for druids. Know: Psionics would likely be needed for the psionic equivalent.

With the wording on High Arcana, I do think an epic archmage could sacrifice one of those slots to cast an epic spell, but would need to have developed it in the first place, so at least there is Some cost.

barna10
2012-11-20, 06:15 PM
What would be the benefit of preparing the Epic Spell as an SLA? The Archmage ability says you still need to pay XP costs so there is no real benefit.

mattie_p
2012-11-20, 06:32 PM
What would be the benefit of preparing the Epic Spell as an SLA? The Archmage ability says you still need to pay XP costs so there is no real benefit.

Dweomerkeeper has no such restriction.

Supernatural Spell (Su): At 4th level, the
dweomerkeeper is so attuned to the fabric of magic
that she can manifest spell effects with almost no effort
whatsoever. Once per day as a standard action, she can
use any one spell with a casting time of up to 1 standard
action as a supernatural ability. The spell chosen must
be one that is currently available to the dweomerkeeper
(that is, one that she has prepared or that she
knows and has a spell slot of the appropriate level available
to cast), but she can decide at the moment of casting
to use this ability. The spell functions as it normally
would and is expended normally, but the dweomerkeeper
does not require any components, does not provoke
attacks of opportunity, and ignores the target’s
spell resistance, just as if she were using a supernatural
ability instead of a spell. At every even-numbered level
after the 4th, the dweomerkeeper gains one additional
use of this ability per day.

barna10
2012-11-20, 06:36 PM
Dweomerkeeper has no such restriction.

Which is why I started this thread, LOL.

Someone else chimed in about the Archmage's ability.

mattie_p
2012-11-20, 06:53 PM
Which is why I started this thread, LOL.

Someone else chimed in about the Archmage's ability.

I'm aware of that someone else chimed in about Archmage, which is why I posted what I did. Also: Archmage ability = SLA, Dweomerkeeper ability = Su. Totally different.