PDA

View Full Version : Puppet control someone with spell

jokeaccount
2012-11-19, 06:53 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for a spell to control any human-like being/think. If you've seen full metal alchemist an appropriate comparison would be Alphonse Elric. He is an empty suit of armor with his spirit bound to it and its like he is inside it. I am looking for a spell with similar effects. Does it exist? It can be anything, from controlling it from afar to transferring ones soul inside a corpse or taking over one's body (again, not Dominate/charm or other similar abilities that require giving orders). It also needs to allow the controller to use his abilities via the controlled body/being. To give an example:

Find a dead body (the soul has effectively left).
Transfer your spirit into it (your body is now inert)
You are now essentially the same person (keep mental stats, change physical ones) with same spells/feats etc.

If there is no spell like it, is there at least a monster with such a quality? It seems kind of classic but i haven't stumbled upon anything like that.

EDIT: Read my second message in the post!!! It explains further what I want to do. Many things suggested don't work!

Thanks in advance!

VGLordR2
2012-11-19, 06:57 PM
True Mind Switch (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:True_Mind_Switch) and Magic Jar (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Magic_Jar) both produce effects similar to what you want.

jokeaccount
2012-11-19, 07:41 PM
I don't think any of these work... The keyword here is puppet. What I am trying to do is create an unkillable character by using temporal stasis on the character's body, then taking over. For better understanding the idea comes from the manga Dragon Quest. For those who don't know check this page:

http://www.mangareader.net/223-16142-8/dragon-quest-dai-no-daiboken/chapter-315.html

The "Frozen Time" is a spell that behaves almost like temporal stasis (if not exactly the same. It stops the time around the subject but it essentially makes a motionless doll like it says in the manga). Taking control of a body with Temporal Stasis on it however would allow me to actually be virtually invincible provided I can avoid getting dispelled/freedomed etc. Is there a spell that allows me to do this?

DarkestKnight
2012-11-19, 07:56 PM
In Ghost walk there is a line of feats for ghosts that let them possess things or people, and could be adapted for your purposes. Other than the spells mentioned, the only thing that would let you haunt items would be Fiend of Possession.

Piggy Knowles
2012-11-19, 08:05 PM
The Control Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlBody.htm) power might be worth looking into. It's not a charm effect - it's more like a very precise telekinesis, where you force the body parts to move. Seems to be very much like what you're looking for.

The shadowcaster mystery Soul Puppet is thematically similar to what you want, even down to shadowy puppet strings controlling their actions, but mechanically it's pretty much just dominate monster, including the [Mind-affecting] tag.

jokeaccount
2012-11-19, 08:19 PM
The Control Body seems to be more on the lines of what I'm looking for. It says it doesn't allow me to use anything that can't be done by moving body parts (like casting spells etc.) but does it allow me to use for example, power attack?

Piggy Knowles
2012-11-19, 08:26 PM
The Control Body seems to be more on the lines of what I'm looking for. It says it doesn't allow me to use anything that can't be done by moving body parts (like casting spells etc.) but does it allow me to use for example, power attack?

The wording's a little unclear, but to me, the corollary of the line "you cannot force the subject to manifest powers, cast spells, or use any special ability that is not a function of just its body movements" is that you CAN force them to use any special ability that IS a function of just its body movements. But I'd say that's a DM call.

Rejakor
2012-11-19, 09:42 PM
Alright, you've got 2 main options. Possession and Puppeteering. Possession is like you'd imagine. Puppeteering is specifically of the 'chakra threads' variety, at least in 3.5.

Possession - the Fiend of Possession class (FF1) lets you go ethereal and enter someone's body, give them buffs or negatives, and make will saves to stop you gaining control for longer and longer periods of time. Once you have them, they can't stop you doing ****. You also get to Animate objects as per the animate objects spell. This would apply to corpses, but it just would get the statline of an animated object of it's appropriate size.

Magic Jar explicitly puts your body into stasis and takes over another body.

Haunt Shift creates a Haunt an undead that can manifest from an item or animate the item.

Ghosts, either from Ghostwalk or Regular, can use their Malevolence ability to possess people and force them to do stuff.

Eyes of the Zombie - you put your eyes in a zombie, and can walk it around and stuff. Your body goes into stasis etc etc. Has a duration.

Stranger with the Burning Eyes - Tome prestige class. Basically your Magic Jar spell becomes permanent and you can hop from person to person using a gaze attack.

Puppeteering - Puppeteer, Bard 4, either PHBII or CAdv or SpC, can't remember. You move them around like a puppet, but they can still talk and stuff.

Control Body - again, you puppet someone. Like puppeteer, short range and limited duration.

doko239
2012-11-19, 09:54 PM
In Pathfinder, there is a spell called Marionette Possession (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/marionettePossession.html#_marionette-possession). Acts as Magic Jar, but requires no receptacle for the creature's soul, and the target must be willing.

For your suit of armor example, you could cast Animate Objects on the armor, then follow up with Marionette Possession.

jokeaccount
2012-11-20, 04:32 AM
All these ideas are cool but would they work on a body with temporal stasis on? That's the whole point of this

jokeaccount
2012-11-23, 05:24 AM
Is there anyone that has some input on this?

supermonkeyjoe
2012-11-23, 06:36 AM
It depends entirely on how you read the spell, Temporal Stasis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/temporalStasis.htm) phrases such as "the subjects condition becomes fixed" could rule out the possibility of being affected by any spells, It would be a case of ask your DM.

Andreaz
2012-11-23, 06:36 AM
The precise effect may not exist. If you have access to two or so controller effects (namely mind switch and marionette-like stuff) I'd just waive the details and let it work.