PDA

View Full Version : Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil OOC



Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Sallera
2012-11-20, 12:51 AM
Good day and welcome, friends. Lest we be stymied by a lack of due care, let us first have a roll call, of sorts. Sound off, make any last-minute adjustments to your sheets, and establish your existing relationships with the other characters. We'll begin formally tomorrow, assuming everyone shows up as expected.

The party, for quick reference:
PlayerCharacter
TheFallenOneBrother Tironius (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=467704)
J-HHrolf (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=499030)
StrawberriesGwern Cadeyrn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=674937)
RaggedAngelGrashnor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=817204)

Former party members:
PlayerCharacterFate
ZeroNumerousCecily Cielani (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=467343)Death attack to the heart, from a ghost in the ruins of Nulb
MiraqariftskyKholzug the Cleaver (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=471559)Wandering parts unknown
AnderkentFarin l'Ohtren (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=64912)Cut down and finished off by a hobgoblin skirmisher in a nighttime raid near the Temple

IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262224)

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-20, 02:18 AM
Cecily and Kholzug already know one another. So the question is: How did they meet Tironus and Farin?

Also: Fallen, why do you only have 3 levels? Unless I'm reading your sheet wrong, you're Passive Way Monk 2/Unarmed Swordsage 1, but you haven't taken anything giving you an LA.

Finally: Cecily will speak in a calming blue I think.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-20, 05:25 AM
Typo. It's supposed to be 2/2. Still need to do some mundane purchases.

Dim gray for me.

Anderkent
2012-11-20, 07:03 AM
Reporting in. I'll grab green, I suppose.

I'll sketch out a quick 'what-you-know-about-farin' this evening (GMT ~20) and post it here , will also try to come up with the circumstances of our meeting. One possible approach is on my character sheet, but it assumes some of you have been adventuring together for a longer time.

Might swap spot & swim for some diplomacy/intimidate ranks seeing how I'll probably be the face here?

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-20, 03:19 PM
My traditional Dried Blood Colour, then.


Cecily and Kholzug already know one another. So the question is: How did they meet Tironus and Farin?

~snip~
Confirmed. By the way--- Snagged an extra horse for Cecily to aid travel.


~snip~
I'll sketch out a quick 'what-you-know-about-farin' this evening (GMT ~20) and post it here , will also try to come up with the circumstances of our meeting. One possible approach is on my character sheet, but it assumes some of you have been adventuring together for a longer time.

Might swap spot & swim for some diplomacy/intimidate ranks seeing how I'll probably be the face here?

Been traveling together for... at least two years or so is my reckoning. Unless comrade Zero there has objection or suggestion?

Anderkent, ye reckon your hook would have been a reasonable place to have looted a darkwood shield and club?

Also, we'll be having the resident knifears for the Friendly Face? The resident orcblood's taken 5 ranks in Intimidate--- would that suffice?

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-20, 03:55 PM
Wait, they've been together two years? That'd make Cecily 27 instead of 25.

Anderkent
2012-11-20, 05:26 PM
Anderkent, ye reckon your hook would have been a reasonable place to have looted a darkwood shield and club?


Sounds reasonable to me, unless GM prohibits :)



Also, we'll be having the resident knifears for the Friendly Face? The resident orcblood's taken 5 ranks in Intimidate--- would that suffice?

In which case I'll only take Diplomacy, and we'll play it the 'bad cop good cop' way :)

Sorry for lateness, and I'm really tired, so this will be point-by-point, and really short, instead of any kind of story. Seeing how you didn't spend all that much time together, I think it will do.

You've met before during one of his assignments, but you didn't get to know each other that well - went separate ways after the task was complete. You learned that Farin's a cleric of Vandria Gilmadrith. He was 'recruited' by an elf named Toar about 9 years ago, and since then he's been working for the church pretty much non-stop. He avoids talking about anything that happened before he joined the church.

He's appears politely interested in conversation but keeps his distance, not pushing or revealing details, or showing personal engagement. Humour is rare.

The job you did together can really be anything. My concept would be that he was sent by the church on request from a village to investigate some problem, say haunted catacombs or whatever, but in the meantime the issue escalated and the village hired you to take care of it. Since he was there already (and he didn't want the reward promised by the village) you took him along.

The job was short but grizzly, proving your strength to each other and providing a basis of trust. You might not know each other's story, but you know from experience no one will turn their back on others, even in dire straights.

Does that sound okay?

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-20, 09:19 PM
That's fine by me.

Sallera
2012-11-20, 11:30 PM
I seem to have something of a fever at the moment, and can't really write coherently. Will have to start tomorrow instead, sorry.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-20, 11:48 PM
That's fine by me.
Seconded. Fits perfectly with that last bit of Cecily and Kholzug's joint backstory.


I seem to have something of a fever at the moment, and can't really write coherently. Will have to start tomorrow instead, sorry.
Tis alright, chief. Get ye better soon.


Wait, they've been together two years? That'd make Cecily 27 instead of 25.
Unless you've objection or suggestion?
Out of curiousity, why the quibble on age?

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-20, 11:59 PM
Unless you've objection or suggestion?
Out of curiousity, why the quibble on age?

Nothing. I was just remarking that she's older than my sheet said, so I'll have to change it.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-21, 08:03 AM
I shuffled 5 ranks into Balance and got Boots of Agile Leaping. Needed a way to avoid countertrips.

I mentioned in the Recruiting when Tironius might have had a chance to meet the others. I guess it's fairly recent, though he might have ties to someone from Cecily's University, exchanging letters and maybe codices the other doesn't have if the distance isn't too far.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-21, 03:08 PM
A pen pal works.

Anderkent
2012-11-21, 06:16 PM
Sheet updated with some mundane equipment. Shelled out for everlasting rations, though in retrospect that probably doesn't make sense if we don't get them for everyone.

Or if we're not going to do mundane-management stuff like food, water, tents and taking armor off for sleep? :)


I seem to have something of a fever at the moment, and can't really write coherently. Will have to start tomorrow instead, sorry.

Don't rush it, we'll wait until you get better.

Sallera
2012-11-22, 12:15 AM
And the IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262224) is up.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-22, 12:31 AM
So to clarify, we're in an inn's common room and this dude walks in, right?

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-22, 05:41 AM
A pen pal works.
Well-well-well. Interetsing. Looks like Cecily's the glue that binds this little band of heroes together?


Sheet updated with some mundane equipment. Shelled out for everlasting rations, though in retrospect that probably doesn't make sense if we don't get them for everyone.

Or if we're not going to do mundane-management stuff like food, water, tents and taking armor off for sleep? :)



Don't rush it, we'll wait until you get better.
Indeed. hope the chief's feeling better.

Also, on that... Everlasting rations? I suppose everyone's packing regular provisions, but apparently, the elf's packing for forever? Just in case? Well, in that case, the resident Ranger's hunting skills will be focused on hunting men, not beasts, then.

Mundane management? Packed tents, clothing, cooking implements, medikit, whiskey, water and trail rations. Armour? Got Endurance. *Other Stuff? Got a horse. More stuff? There's Cecily's horse, pretty sure that the mage's carrying less stuff than the warrior, so that horse can take some More Stuff.

Anderkent
2012-11-22, 05:45 AM
So to clarify, we're in an inn's common room and this dude walks in, right?

So it would seem.


This makes my hook a little off, I thought we were starting later on (i.e. after the job is already accepted). I guess for now lets assume we met in the inn by coincidence before current scene, I'll draw some background for why Farin was there later on.


Well-well-well. Interetsing. Looks like Cecily's the glue that binds this little band of heroes together?


Indeed. hope the chief's feeling better.

Also, on that... Everlasting rations? I suppose everyone's packing regular provisions, but apparently, the elf's packing for forever? Just in case? Well, in that case, the resident Ranger's hunting skills will be focused on hunting men, not beasts, then.


It actually makes sense with his backstory - been travelling for a couple of months, planned to travel for at least a year before meeting you, not having to worry about food is definitely useful (and water I can just conjure).

From a munchkin point of view it's probably not that efficient... Though I guess we can live a week or two on quarter rations if really necessary.



Mundane management? Packed tents, clothing, cooking implements, medikit, whiskey, water and trail rations. Armour? Got Endurance. *Other Stuff? Got a horse. More stuff? There's Cecily's horse, pretty sure that the mage's carrying less stuff than the warrior, so that horse can take some More Stuff.

Right, my assumption is we will be doing that but some campaigns I played did away with it. Figured it's worth asking :)

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-22, 06:04 AM
This makes my hook a little off, I thought we were starting later on (i.e. after the job is already accepted). I guess for now lets assume we met in the inn by coincidence before current scene, I'll draw some background for why Farin was there later on.

It'd be pretty easy to assume we had adventured together prior this one.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-22, 09:21 AM
It'd be pretty easy to assume we had adventured together prior this one.

Seconded, your honour.


So it would seem.

This makes my hook a little off, I thought we were starting later on (i.e. after the job is already accepted). I guess for now lets assume we met in the inn by coincidence before current scene, I'll draw some background for why Farin was there later on.

Lessee... Mebbe they met up yet again after the cultist caper at Fair Meadow, a chance meeting on the road? Happened to be in the right place at the right time to hear maid screaming through the woods and then bonded over kicking some bandits' asses then saw to escorting her back to her caravan and then the three hopped along for a ride. Along the way, the two bow-wielding warriors might have had a friendly contest at felling some fowl and then come the night, the Cleaver might have continued his reading lessons under Ms Cielani? And then the next stop was this...
...er, whichever town in the viscounty of Verbobonc this happens to be.

Any objections or suggestions, y'all?


It actually makes sense with his backstory - been travelling for a couple of months, planned to travel for at least a year before meeting you, not having to worry about food is definitely useful (and water I can just conjure).

From a munchkin point of view it's probably not that efficient... Though I guess we can live a week or two on quarter rations if really necessary.

Right, my assumption is we will be doing that but some campaigns I played did away with it. Figured it's worth asking :)

Ah, indeed.

Of course. And speaking of stat, not that it's any of my business, but you might want to recheck your PB allotment. It seems to be over 30 by 3 points.

And yes indeed. Heh-heh, yes, I even packed a latrine shovel / wayfarer's spade.

Anderkent
2012-11-22, 09:45 AM
Of course. And speaking of stat, not that it's any of my business, but you might want to recheck your PB allotment. It seems to be over 30 by 3 points.


I rolled :)

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-22, 09:54 AM
I rolled :)

Ahhhhh, I see, so you're the one guy amongst all the applicants who was favoured by the Dice Daemons? Well, good on you. Also? Nice having so many odd numbers to mechanically reflect "character development" later on, eh?

TheFallenOne
2012-11-22, 10:55 AM
Well, the IC implies Cecily and Tironius delivered some books to the monastery, and given the former is linked to Kholzug we can assume those three at least were acquainted at that point.


Also, I just noticed handaxes aren't flurry-able and I'd like some backup in case of DR/Slashing(can't blame me for that one given Barovia can you? :smalltongue:). I'm not fond of kamas as Tironius has a distinctly non-Asian flavor, could we maybe refluff that to an axe, sickle or large knife?

Sallera
2012-11-22, 11:44 AM
Yeah, go ahead and swap in sickle for kama. More or less the same tool with a different origin, after all.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-22, 12:57 PM
W'elp. The classical carousing barbarian. It just had to be done, eh, y'all?

~~~

@Fallen:
The funny: Hah, and you're sure Tironious wasn't a member of the Axe Gang from Kung Fu Hustle?
The serious: As I recall, Friar Tuck was adept with sword and bow as well as the staff and fist. For what my word is worth, and I'm not the GM here, methinks Tironious should be good for it.

Anderkent
2012-11-22, 02:27 PM
Lessee... Mebbe they met up yet again after the cultist caper at Fair Meadow, a chance meeting on the road? Happened to be in the right place at the right time to hear maid screaming through the woods and then bonded over kicking some bandits' asses then saw to escorting her back to her caravan and then the three hopped along for a ride. Along the way, the two bow-wielding warriors might have had a friendly contest at felling some fowl and then come the night, the Cleaver might have continued his reading lessons under Ms Cielani? And then the next stop was this...
...er, whichever town in the viscounty of Verbobonc this happens to be.

Any objections or suggestions, y'all?


Sounds fine. I was travelling without much purpose before that, catching any ride that may pass me, or simply walking if no such opportunity was present. Thus I gladly join you on the caravan to our current residence.

edit: Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but I find the dim gray not different enough from the default colour to read comfortably. Can you possibly change to something more contrasting, Fallen?

edit2: Gah, I keep pressing the save instead of preview :P

TheFallenOne
2012-11-22, 04:20 PM
err, was that tavern brawl planned ahead like that? Usually you're not supposed to godmod NPCs like that, or force the other PCs into not interfering in a fight.


edit: Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but I find the dim gray not different enough from the default colour to read comfortably. Can you possibly change to something more contrasting, Fallen?

Well, I would like a gray tone for the whole 'shadow and light' thing. Gray better? I think it's a bit too bright on white. Bolded might work though.

Anderkent
2012-11-22, 04:31 PM
err, was that tavern brawl planned ahead like that? Usually you're not supposed to godmod NPCs like that, or force the other PCs into not interfering in a fight.



Well, I would like a gray tone for the whole 'shadow and light' thing. Gray better? I think it's a bit too bright on white. Bolded might work though.

Bolded Gray works well. You could use bolded dim gray for bold :)

As to the brawl; I wouldn't call it a real fight, more of backstory fluff, so I think just rolling with it is fine. GM didn't seem to mind.

Sallera
2012-11-22, 04:36 PM
I let it slide since it's just an introductory post. Keeping hands off the NPCs in future would be appreciated, though. :smalltongue:

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-23, 12:47 AM
err, was that tavern brawl planned ahead like that? Usually you're not supposed to godmod NPCs like that, or force the other PCs into not interfering in a fight.

Well, I would like a gray tone for the whole 'shadow and light' thing. Gray better? I think it's a bit too bright on white. Bolded might work though.
Thanks for the rebuke, my good fellow.

Interesting you bring up that point. Looks like it does work well for your character's context of internal conflict. I chose Dark Red because it does look like dried blood--- scarred bastard trying to eke out some redemption while unable to deny his own flaws.

To y'all, any reason besides "calming" and "elf" for choosing those text colours?


Bolded Gray works well. You could use bolded dim gray for bold :)

As to the brawl; I wouldn't call it a real fight, more of backstory fluff, so I think just rolling with it is fine. GM didn't seem to mind.
Ah. There. That's what I was going for. HAH! I suppose it'd be the Dice Daemons balancing the books when a real fight breaks out and all I can roll is crap?


I let it slide since it's just an introductory post. Keeping hands off the NPCs in future would be appreciated, though. :smalltongue:

Abject apologies, chief.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-23, 12:52 AM
To y'all, any reason besides "calming" and "elf" for choosing those text colours?

It matches Cecily's hair.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-23, 01:22 AM
It matches Cecily's hair.

Heh-heh-heh! Nice one.

@Da Chief: Alrighty. Hope I didn't overstep with this one?
And... might as well--- I still haven't finished exactly figuring out exactly how much wealth-worth I've put into Kholzug's stuff. Still trying to do that bit of accounting. Pretty certain that I didn't go over-budget with weapons and armour, at least.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-23, 01:55 AM
Oh ya, I forgot Geography was a Knowledge skill.

I think it'd be easier to say: I make whatever Knowledge checks are applicable, taking ten to do so.

That'll get me 17 on all knowledge checks except Nature and Arcane, which are 18 and 21 respectively.

Anderkent
2012-11-23, 06:59 AM
To y'all, any reason besides "calming" and "elf" for choosing those text colours?


No, I didn't even think of the 'elf' thing while choosing it. Just wanted one that makes speech stand out.

Well, you're playing the unintelligible half-orc fairly - parsing your speech takes a good couple attempts :P

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-23, 09:35 AM
No, I didn't even think of the 'elf' thing while choosing it. Just wanted one that makes speech stand out.

Well, you're playing the unintelligible half-orc fairly - parsing your speech takes a good couple attempts :P

Ah, okay.

Annnnnnnnd blight. Hmm. Good this isn't Daedalus' gig--- my Int 7 orcblood barbarian there speaks in "Eh wot duh worras youse gits'a sehyin's duhr? Izza dehr be duh choppa, duh fwappa ur duh chompa 'ere's ways? Whurr be duh WAAAGH, boyz? WAAAAAGGGGHHH!"

I mean, ehem... Er, would ye want me to tone it down or put down translations or what?

Anderkent
2012-11-23, 09:50 AM
Ah, okay.

Annnnnnnnd blight. Hmm. Good this isn't Daedalus' gig--- my Int 7 orcblood barbarian there speaks in "Eh wot duh worras youse gits'a sehyin's duhr? Izza dehr be duh choppa, duh fwappa ur duh chompa 'ere's ways? Whurr be duh WAAAGH, boyz? WAAAAAGGGGHHH!"

I mean, ehem... Er, would ye want me to tone it down or put down translations or what?

I'll tell you if it gets unmanageable. For now don't worry about it.

Sallera
2012-11-23, 01:55 PM
I don't mean to drag this out too much; we'll move ahead as soon as I'm home. Just wanted to give everyone the chance for some IC banter before we get into things.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-23, 02:07 PM
I suppose I should roll knowledge as well

[roll0]
[roll1]

follow-up for the Temple of Elemental Evil if mentioned in knowledge results
[roll2]

Sallera
2012-11-23, 02:26 PM
Tironius:The temple near Hommlet was built twenty-five years ago by forces loyal to Iuz and Zuggtmoy. Its inhabitants provoked Veluna and Furyondy with a series of ill-advised raids to the northwest, and their armies defeated the temple's inhabitants in the Battle of Emridy Meadows and sealed the temple itself. Nine years later, it was reopened by smaller forces, but bands of adventurers moved in and destroyed it more thoroughly. Since then, it has been quiet, and the town has prospered in the resulting period of peace.

Despite professing to serve Iuz, Zuggtmoy, and even Lolth, many of the temple's higher-ranking clerics in fact served a force known as the Elder Elemental Eye, of which little is known save that it was the true backer of the temple's establishment in the area.

Anderkent
2012-11-23, 02:38 PM
Ah, how significant are spoilers directed at other players? Is it "other characters are not supposed to know this" or "other players must not read this"?

The email notifications don't include the spoiler tags, so if it's the latter I'll disable them, I guess.

Sallera
2012-11-23, 05:16 PM
It's generally character-specific info. Players can read it if they wish, as long as it doesn't affect their actions.

Anderkent
2012-11-23, 06:53 PM
I forgot to buy bowstrings, so now's the time. Would hate to be left without a bow after one unlucky engagement. I assume general item-caring stuff like a piece of wax or small cloth is 'included' in the item, otherwise we'll run out of inventory slots on the sheets. If it's not, Farin will also look to purchase some silk cloths, leather straps, a piece of wax, a hard sponge etc.

The 'linen strands' instead of a ready bowstring is pure fluff, he likes making his own strings but the cost is exactly the same. Just something to do when bored.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-24, 12:32 AM
Hmm. Now that everyone's heading off to sleep, do we have marching sleeping order? Everyone together in one room for cheapness' sake? The men in one room and Cecily and Lunch in an adjacent? Or Farin and Tironious in one and Cecily and Kholzug in an adjacent room as a compromise between thriftness and security?

Whaaaaaaat? Paranoia and thriftness are everyone's friends.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-24, 12:56 AM
The men in one room and Cecily and Lunch in an adjacent?

This is what Cecily would have wanted.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-24, 02:09 AM
This is what Cecily would have wanted.

Hell yeah, cheapness.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-25, 06:16 PM
Let's see what Knowledge Devotion gives me [roll0]

ready Counter Charge instead of Wolf Fang Strike.

Anderkent
2012-11-25, 06:34 PM
Ah, apparently I'm not very smart. Sneaking in on them will not be an issue, I can just prepare and cast silence, if you're willing to wait 20 minutes :P

(though I still like having them come to us, if you're okay with acting the bait Fallen)

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-25, 06:47 PM
Well, Cecily will cast Heroics on Tironius before he leaves. That'll give him a choice of a Fighter bonus feat to use. I suggest Improved Toughness or Improved Initiative, but the choice is up to FallenOne.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-25, 06:54 PM
Hm... Extra HP is good for the long run of the fight. Power Attack would give a nice +6 damage on the CDG, making success on the Fort save unlikely. I think the chance of instantly killing one of the two is too good not to go for it. Fighting one or two equal CR creatures is a huge difference.

I'm not so sure about Silence. If I can't get you to move in by calling out you need LoS on the owlbears, something I consider chancy given their keen senses.

Anderkent
2012-11-25, 07:05 PM
I can dismiss the silence once the four of us are in position, at which point you'll split off and try the CDG. Then we will will be able to hear you scream :)

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-25, 07:11 PM
Hm... Extra HP is good for the long run of the fight. Power Attack would give a nice +6 damage on the CDG, making success on the Fort save unlikely. I think the chance of instantly killing one of the two is too good not to go for it. Fighting one or two equal CR creatures is a huge difference.

You could also pick up a Maneuver since Martial Study is a fighter bonus feat.

Sallera
2012-11-25, 08:58 PM
Cecily:As far as you know, owlbears are little more intelligent than their mundane cousins. Chances are slim they'd get it into their heads to drag a cart anywhere.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-25, 09:55 PM
I can dismiss the silence once the four of us are in position, at which point you'll split off and try the CDG. Then we will will be able to hear you scream :)

I may be misreading things, but it seems to me there isn't that much closer we need to get, they are right behind the rise. But if we can creep a decent deal closer without entering their field of vision Silence seems reasonable.


You could also pick up a Maneuver since Martial Study is a fighter bonus feat.

I already got most low-level boosts and counters. Strikes don't agree well with Flurry. Besides, my problem is readied maneuvers, not known ones, and Extra Readied Maneuver is no Fighter feat.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-25, 10:12 PM
I already got most low-level boosts and counters. Strikes don't agree well with Flurry. Besides, my problem is readied maneuvers, not known ones, and Extra Readied Maneuver is no Fighter feat.

Well if you want the best CDG possible then a +2d6 damage strike would go a long way to ensuring that.

Alternatively: You could pick up a stance.

Either way: I edited my post concerning owlbear intelligence. Cecily now believes that someone had moved the cart, and the owlbears were merely being opportunistic scavengers.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-25, 10:17 PM
Strikes and CDG are not compatible by RAW I think. And even if, +6 PA, x2 on crit handily beats 2d6.

Stance, hm... Blood in the Water would be a clever abuse with the autocrit on CDG. But I'll stick with Power Attack.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-25, 10:29 PM
Stance, hm... Blood in the Water would be a clever abuse with the autocrit on CDG. But I'll stick with Power Attack.

I'd have went with Fire Riposte for when the second owlbear inevitably attacks you, but I can see why you'd want Power Attack.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-26, 09:17 AM
W'elp. I return for now.

I'm sorry, could somebody please explain what this matter for contention is?

Also...

Either way: I edited my post concerning owlbear intelligence. Cecily now believes that someone had moved the cart, and the owlbears were merely being opportunistic scavengers.
Hmm. Run up some in-the-field D&D forensics afterwards, eh? Examine the bodies, look for cause/s of death, see if these correspond with the owlbears' beaks/claws?

Sallera
2012-11-26, 10:37 AM
You can go ahead and post your ambush attempt, Fallen; I'll start combat from that point. I'm assuming everyone else is staying out of sight over the rise to start with.

Anderkent
2012-11-26, 10:49 AM
That's correct. Don't have time to do an IC right now, but Farin plans to run onto the hill as soon as he hears the owlbears or Tir shout.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-26, 11:00 AM
You can go ahead and post your ambush attempt, Fallen; I'll start combat from that point. I'm assuming everyone else is staying out of sight over the rise to start with.

The action is presumably within Charge-distance, chief?

Sallera
2012-11-26, 11:02 AM
It would be if you were in sight, yes. If you're on the other side of the rise, charging isn't possible.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-26, 11:25 AM
It would be if you were in sight, yes. If you're on the other side of the rise, charging isn't possible.

Revised the IC post with that in mind. Timestamp should bear that the revision in light of GM's judgment came out before the IC update.

~~

Um... escuse me? Not meaning offense, but how in tarnation did he get a +20? Even at max-Rage, max-PA, no-buff, the highest damage bonus Kholzug could get is a +17, +18 if you count the axe's enhancement bonus.

And yes, if it's not obvious, I am an almost complete stranger to the Tome of Battle. The most out of that that I'm fluent with are Leap Attack and Dungeoncrasher, and even then, I'm probably mistaken. Some enlightenment would be appreciated?

TheFallenOne
2012-11-26, 12:01 PM
coup de grace is an autocrit

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-26, 12:04 PM
coup de grace is an autocrit

Oh.
Ohhhhhh.
Thank you for the clarification.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-26, 12:12 PM
And yes, if it's not obvious, I am an almost complete stranger to the Tome of Battle. The most out of that that I'm fluent with are Leap Attack and Dungeoncrasher, and even then, I'm probably mistaken.

Leap Attack and Dungeoncrasher are a feat and Fighter ACF from Complete Warrior and Dungeonscape respectively.

Cecily's already spent a spell on this fight, so the fight's outside of her effective range right now.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-26, 12:26 PM
Leap Attack and Dungeoncrasher are a feat and Fighter ACF from Complete Warrior and Dungeonscape respectively.

Cecily's already spent a spell on this fight, so the fight's outside of her effective range right now.

Annnnnnnd I stand corrected, your honour, with thanks.
HEH-heh-heh-heh. Looks like I am an utter idjit in the ways of the ToBster, then.

Sallera
2012-11-26, 11:49 PM
Owlbear can't beat 21, so Tironius still has an action.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-27, 10:56 AM
Questions for the chief:
Confirm? Kholzug is immediately grappled because of the successful strike and the Improved Grapple. In that grapple, he can't use his axe, but can fight back with his armour spikes? And since he has armour spikes, will that be an auto-hit because of the grapple and then a regular attack after? And do they still get the -4 penalty for being in a grapple or not? If it is pertinent, spike locations are on the helm-top, right vambrace, left pauldron and both greaves.

Anderkent
2012-11-27, 11:08 AM
Questions for the chief:
Confirm? Kholzug is immediately grappled because of the successful strike and the Improved Grapple. In that grapple, he can't use his axe, but can fight back with his armour spikes? And since he has armour spikes, will that be an auto-hit because of the grapple and then a regular attack after? And do they still get the -4 penalty for being in a grapple or not? If it is pertinent, spike locations are on the helm-top, right vambrace, left pauldron and both greaves.

AFAIK:
1. You get a strength check to avoid being grabbed (need to beat owlbears 21)
2. To do damage with your spikes you need to win a grapple check. You then deal damage equal to your unarmed attack + spike damage. This is instead of a standard attack.
3. You can use light weapons (daggers etc) or unarmed strikes in grapple. You can also use your spikes as a light weapon.

edit:
Also, I think improved grab is usually only on claw attacks? Might be wrong here.

Sallera
2012-11-27, 11:14 AM
Anderkent has the right of it. And yes, the spikes still take the standard -4 for attacking in a grapple.

Improved Grab works on any melee attack, although logically one would assume it works only with natural weapons.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-27, 11:18 AM
Owlbear entry though explicitly points out claw attack.

You need an opposed grapple check to avoid the grab, not strength.

Sallera
2012-11-27, 11:21 AM
Erm, yes, so it does. Apologies.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-27, 11:22 AM
Alright. Thank you for your help.
Need to win a grapple check? Wouldn't that mean that, referring to the SRD, it would get an AoO before my prospective attack can land?
And we're absolutely certain that it doesn't stick itself despite most grapple-relevant joints having been spike-armoured?
I suppose it will also get an AoO if I go for the Kukri?
And absolutely certain that any attack whatsoever will incur the -4 penalty?

Str check vs Grapple, then. [roll0]

Sallera
2012-11-27, 11:24 AM
Yeah, add BAB to strength for the grapple check, I wasn't reading Ander's reply closely enough. Fails anyway, I suppose.

And yes, it's less joint lock, more... (owl)bear hug. You don't provoke AoOs from your grapple partner, only when initiating a grapple untrained. All attacks aside from grapple checks do indeed get the -4, assuming they're possible at all.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-27, 11:24 AM
Err... what? Okay, let's see what's what... Opposed grapple check at [roll0]

^Still fails even though it was posted right after Fallen's correction?

Sallera
2012-11-27, 11:25 AM
You don't get to reroll, though, just adjust the modifier on your initial roll.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-27, 11:26 AM
Need to win a grapple check? Wouldn't that mean that, referring to the SRD, it would get an AoO before my prospective attack can land?

No, you only get an AoO on grapple checks to start the grapple. During the grapple neither combatant threatens any squares, which means neither of them can take AoOs.


And we're absolutely certain that it doesn't stick itself despite most grapple-relevant joints having been spike-armoured?

Armor spikes don't cause damage when initiating a grapple.


I suppose it will also get an AoO if I go for the Kukri?

See above concerning threatening squares.


And absolutely certain that any attack whatsoever will incur the -4 penalty?

Yes. Attacking while being grappled is really hard to do. That said, you can almost entirely counteract it by raging.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-27, 11:29 AM
~snip~

Yes. Attacking while being grappled is really hard to do. That said, you can almost entirely counteract it by raging.

The roll of 12 16 apparently sticks. HEH. That's the way the dice roll it, looks like.

Alright. Ball's in your court, chief. AoO, please, as he draws the kukri.

Sallera
2012-11-27, 11:31 AM
As said, grappling creatures can't take AoOs, so no worries there. You do need an opposed grapple check against [roll0] to draw the weapon, though.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-27, 11:35 AM
Khorne's crap. So if this doesn't work, every time I try to damage it the other way--- countergrapple --- it's still got me effectively locked down?

~fingerwaggle~ Opposed grapple check, then. [roll0] Arrrrrrggghhh.

Sallera
2012-11-27, 11:37 AM
Well, it takes an opposed grapple check to do most things, but you don't need one to attack with your spikes. Anyway, you still have a standard action free.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-27, 11:40 AM
Okay.

So, for neatness' sake:
One claw hits, grabbed in [owl]bearhug. Present struggles ineffective. Confirmed?
Standard action free--- Probably going to be horribly ineffective, but hell let's do it. BULL RUSH TOWARDS SOME BROKEN BIT OF WOOD OFF THE DOWNED CART. Alright, let's do this thing!

For everyone's entertainment:
http://darthsanddroids.net/comics/darths0344_bonus.jpg

Anderkent
2012-11-27, 11:43 AM
You can use your spikes like daggers, and don't have to win a check to draw them, or to attack with them.

In general, http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Grapple :P

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-27, 11:46 AM
You can use your spikes like daggers, and don't have to win a check to draw them, or to attack with them.

In general, http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Grapple :P

Buh--- HWAT. THAT was the idea from the get-go! ARGH!

Chief's word, yea or nay?


You can't Bull Rush. Moving a grapple is explained in the grapple rules, requires an opposed grapple check.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple I was looking at that and the other entry regarding armor spikes. Consulted the GM because of confusion and inconclusion.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-27, 11:49 AM
You can't Bull Rush. Moving a grapple is explained in the grapple rules, requires an opposed grapple check.



In general, http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Grapple :P

Oh dear
oh dear
oh dear...

Hands off dandwiki. This is the proper online source. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple)

er... I stupidly deleted my post containing the crit rolls...

Anderkent
2012-11-27, 11:51 AM
You can't Bull Rush. Moving a grapple is explained in the grapple rules, requires an opposed grapple check.




Oh dear
oh dear
oh dear...

Hands off dandwiki. This is the proper online source. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple)

er... I stupidly deleted my post containing the crit rolls...

Is there a reason for that? I find dandwiki much more readable. The content seems equivalent.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-27, 11:52 AM
Don't forget that if you attack into a grapple then there's the possibility of hitting Kholzug instead of the owlbear.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-27, 11:53 AM
Anyhow. Amusing that we all keep ninja-ing each other, eh?

Okay. Bottomline, please?
1] Whose friggen turn is it?
2] What actions are technically open in my case?
3] Is there anything in the mechanics preventing the most fight-sensible option in that situation of simply spike-kneeing the thing in the balls? Standard attack no frills no nothing?
*] Apologies for the fuss and appreciation for the help, y'all.
@] Go ahead! Strike away! HIT HIM! HIT HIM, DAMN IT! Heh-heh-heh, it's happened before. In that past game, incidentally, it was also a Monk wot did it.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-27, 11:55 AM
@^: As I said, the SRD.

Anyhow. Amusing that we all keep ninja-ing each other, eh?

Okay. Bottomline, please?
1] Whose friggen turn is it?
2] What actions are technically open in my case?
3] Is there anything in the mechanics preventing the most fight-sensible option in that situation of simply spike-kneeing the thing in the balls? Standard attack no frills no nothing?
*] Apologies for the fuss and appreciation for the help, y'all.

1) The party's.
2) You used your move attempting to draw your Kukri, so you have all the standard grapple options available.
3) You can attempt to attack with your Armor Spikes, but you take a -4 penalty to do so.

Anderkent
2012-11-27, 11:57 AM
Anyhow. Amusing that we all keep ninja-ing each other, eh?

Okay. Bottomline, please?
1] Whose friggen turn is it?
2] What actions are technically open in my case?
3] Is there anything in the mechanics preventing the most fight-sensible option in that situation of simply spike-kneeing the thing in the balls? Standard attack no frills no nothing?
*] Apologies for the fuss and appreciation for the help, y'all.

1] Partys
2] Multiple, but most require winning a grapple check (which you're unlikely to do). You can attempt to break the grapple (opposed grapple checks) or attack with your spikes (with -4 to hit), or try to do damage by grappling (win grapple check, do unarmed strike + spike damage).
3] Nothing other than a -4 penalty for being grappled.

I'm waiting with my action to see what happens - if the grapple is broken I can shoot.

Does the 50/50 to hit grappled opponent apply to all squares taken by the owlbeast or only the one shared with Kholzug?

Sallera
2012-11-27, 12:07 PM
Don't forget that if you attack into a grapple then there's the possibility of hitting Kholzug instead of the owlbear.

Ranged weapons only, though.

It applies to any square.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-27, 12:11 PM
Grr. Grumble. Kick it in the nads, then.

Does the flanking bonus count?

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-27, 12:26 PM
Ranged weapons only, though.

My bad. Misread the combat modifiers table.


Grr. Grumble. Kick it in the nads, then.

Does the flanking bonus count?

You're not threatening any squares. So you cannot flank with anyone.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-27, 12:28 PM
My bad. Misread the combat modifiers table.



You're not threatening any squares. So you cannot flank with anyone.

-2, then. A roll of 19 stll hits, I suppose?

TheFallenOne
2012-11-27, 02:52 PM
Is there a reason for that? I find dandwiki much more readable. The content seems equivalent.

Because d20srd is an authoritative source. And dandwiki is a cesspool of horrible, horrible Homebrew less experienced players often mistake for official content. Better to keep your hands off that one altogether.

New crit rolls. Old ones were good, but my own fault
[roll0] [roll1]
What about the 1 Cold? Numerical bonuses should get multiplied, but it seems somewhat off with elemental damage.

Sallera
2012-11-27, 03:01 PM
Might seem a bit odd, but I believe it gets multiplied anyway. Not much different from a spell crit.

Anderkent
2012-11-27, 03:19 PM
Sorry about the delay, didn't realize I was prolonging the turn.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-27, 03:30 PM
I won't be able to post tonight. So Cecily will continue to ready an action to blast the owlbear with Acidic Splatter if it lets go of Kholzug(or he breaks free). If Kholzug takes another hit from the Owlbear while its grappling, then Cecily will Grease Kholzug's armor to give him a +10 to grapple to escape the grapple.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-28, 04:59 AM
Letsch try the ol' luck again for that Move, eh?
Opposed Grapple check!
[roll0]

Waitasec. If Cecily's action takes place before this, then +10 to that [Thank you, Zero], annnnnnd grapple disengaged.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-28, 10:24 AM
If your 16 is your opposed check versus the creature's 17, then you'd need another Grapple check to escape the grapple. You'd get a +10 to escape the grapple due to Grease.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-28, 10:36 AM
If your 16 is your opposed check versus the creature's 17, then you'd need another Grapple check to escape the grapple. You'd get a +10 to escape the grapple due to Grease.

Annnnnnd thankee kindly.

[roll0]

Holy assballs, Batman.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-28, 10:50 AM
Well if that one doesn't work, then you've still got 3 more attempts to escape the grapple before Grease wears off.

Either way, that's two spells spent on this encounter. :smalltongue:

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-28, 10:54 AM
Well if that one doesn't work, then you've still got 3 more attempts to escape the grapple before Grease wears off.

Either way, that's two spells spent on this encounter. :smalltongue:

Will Grease#3 be used when we cook this thing later for dinner?

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-28, 11:15 AM
Will Grease#3 be used when we cook this thing later for dinner?

I only have 2 greases, but each one lasts for 4 rounds.

Either way: I don't plan to use a third spell if possible.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-28, 11:38 AM
I only have 2 greases, but each one lasts for 4 rounds.

Either way: I don't plan to use a third spell if possible.

:smallsigh: Sorry for having the joke flop. Shoulda placed a :smallwink: on my previous post to make it clearer.

Sallera
2012-11-28, 12:04 PM
Opposed grapple for your escape: [roll0]

Either way, escaping is an attack action, so you don't get a second.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-28, 12:10 PM
Agh, really? So, just, what, cross out everything else?

Sallera
2012-11-28, 12:12 PM
Or just edit slightly to remove the actual attack. The rest of the post still works fine.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-28, 12:17 PM
Jigged out the attack as ordered, chief.

Anderkent
2012-11-28, 12:35 PM
Trying out a different way of doing rolls - a raw dice should make crits/failures clearer. For clarity, I'm editing the post after seeing results to provide totals.

Sallera
2012-11-28, 12:56 PM
Ander, if you want to see the raw dice, you can roll like so: 1d20+8, which will give you this: [roll1]. Saves the trouble of adding bonuses manually.

Edit: And apparently noparse doesn't like rollv. Meh.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-28, 02:19 PM
It's Tironius, not Tironious. The latter maybe looks more natural to English speakers, but it's Latin.

ZeroNumerous
2012-11-29, 01:54 AM
@Latin: Bah, dead languages.

So with the owlbears dead do we see anything particularly important in the cart?

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-29, 02:41 AM
@Latin: Bah, dead languages.

So with the owlbears dead do we see anything particularly important in the cart?

Once we root out whatever we're about to root out here...

...I suggest we put our extra horses to use at recovering the downed cart and turn that in for a bonus, eh?

Oh. And give the driver proper last rites and burial, too.

Anderkent
2012-12-01, 04:04 PM
Nexus' profile page says


Sitrep: Out of contact until Tuesday, December 4th. Apologies, y'all. GMs, please NPC me as necessary.


So I suppose we should keep going? I think the currently present are in consensus.

On a related note, I will not be available between 7th and 16th. Hope that's okay :)

ZeroNumerous
2012-12-01, 07:44 PM
Cecily has no opinion one way or another concerning chasing after the bandits or not. She was only concerned about the potential of a captive, and with that proven to be negative she no longer cares. As far as loot: She'll take the flint and steel in case we need to start a fire.

TheFallenOne
2012-12-01, 07:49 PM
I can start campfires just by giving the kindling a lovetap :smalltongue:

ZeroNumerous
2012-12-01, 07:59 PM
I can start campfires just by giving the kindling a lovetap :smalltongue:

Actually, Fire damage doesn't actually start fires unless it explicitly says so. :smalltongue:

Sallera
2012-12-16, 06:53 PM
Mina, could you go over your items again, please? From a quick glance at just the expensive stuff, you appear to have overspent your budget by at least a round thousand. (I perhaps should have checked inventories more carefully before we started.)

Anderkent
2012-12-19, 05:24 PM
Sorry about the prolonged absence, I'm back on land now but getting things in order takes a bit longer than I expected. I'll try to make an IC post tomorrow.

Sallera
2012-12-19, 06:02 PM
No worries, good to have you back.

Anderkent
2012-12-21, 11:46 AM
I wonder if I can quote between threads?


Calmer scratches the back of his neck, shrugging a little. "I'm not quite sure whom he followed, in truth; I don't believe he was a local. But while Ehlonna and Pelor have small followings in town, our church is the larger by far, so we tend to take care of those who haven't got anyone else. If you're ready, then we can go; I've brought some cloth to wrap him."

Farin:A short time after the others have departed, the black-haired man slides into a seat at your table, raising a mug of dark ale. "Cheers, mate. Your verdant friend's a generous one, eh? Good thing Xaod's not here, though, or his coin wouldn't last long. Still, man buys for the house, usually means a run of luck. You had any interesting experiences lately?"

Hey, you're the ones splitting the party.

I'm just enabling you.

The black-haired man would be someone of note or just one of people drinking around? Can't find any reference to him earlier, but you saying 'the black-haired man' as opposed to 'a black-haired man' seems to suggest otherwise :P

There was a brown-haired man though:

"Of course, come on inside, then." Vesta leads you into the inn's dining room, a clean and quiet area that is well-appointed, if a little old. A long-haired blond elf to one side is playing a rather mediocre tune on a recorder that looks more expensive than he deserves, and a few other people are seated around the room having an early dinner, or at least a drink - a short, brown-haired man in blackened leathers, a pair of women in farmer's clothes of deceptively fine weave, and a freckled halfling with long red hair. "Maridosen, the firewine's here; I'll handle the bar, so take it to the cellar." The pale, black-haired half-elven woman behind the bar gives a short sigh, but moves to leave. "Aye, Vesta."


Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick, just want to be clear on what's going on :) I'll make my post assuming it is not someone that we were introduced to.

Sallera
2012-12-21, 12:16 PM
Oh bother, I got my colours mixed up. *edits*

The funny thing about having all this detail provided on the NPCs is that it gets harder to remember off-hand, since you didn't come up with it yourself...

Miraqariftsky
2012-12-22, 11:26 AM
Annnnnd welcome back, Mr Anderson... Anderkent. All well there, I trust?


Mina, could you go over your items again, please? From a quick glance at just the expensive stuff, you appear to have overspent your budget by at least a round thousand. (I perhaps should have checked inventories more carefully before we started.)

Apologies in advance, chief. Alrighty, here goes nufink...

+1 Greataxe =2320
+1 Chainshirt with armour spikes=1800
Darkwood club =330
Darkwood shield =257
Masterwork composite longbow with a heckuvva draw weight =800

...motherofhellcrap. Really? I expected a little bit of miscalculation, but this is ridiculous! And those are just the calcs for the primary arsenal, haven't even gotten to the mundane materials and flavour-weapons yet.

Eyaaack. Estimated overequippedness-worth: more or less two thousand.

Right, then. Guilty as charged, your honour. How do we do this, then?


Oh bother, I got my colours mixed up. *edits*

The funny thing about having all this detail provided on the NPCs is that it gets harder to remember off-hand, since you didn't come up with it yourself...

My suggestion there, chief, is for you to throw in your personal spin on things. For example, got two brown-haired minor characters in one scene?

One's squat and bald, wearing a threadbare cotton undertunic and leather kilt, his drunken snores wheezing from broken teeth, flies getting swatted away from a by a meaty hand every so often. The other's rangy, an overly eager smirk belying a certain nervousness as he sips at his drink, his pockmarked face colouring slightly as he eyes a laughing lusty lass from beneath his beetling brows…

Both of the buggers above could well have “brown hair”… But seriously, unless said hair is to connote some socioeconomic-political or plot-wise or drama-wise significance, mayhap it would be better to put in one or two more sentences or clauses into even such minor characters as these. It might help to avoid confusion, by giving even bit-characters a bit more personality… however, if a GM indulges in this method too much, folk be likely to run into confusion as well, from drowning in a world too rich in detail but too little engagement.

That said, lemme just say that thus far, you’ve been doing a remarkably good job of this gig, chief, so kudos to ye.

Sallera
2012-12-22, 09:59 PM
Just adjust your equipment accordingly until you're within budget - removing enchantments, tossing unnecessary pieces, and so on.

Hm, certainly, personality quirks and mannerisms are a weakness of mine when describing NPCs; I tend to focus too much on dress, appearance, and speech patterns.

Miraqariftsky
2012-12-23, 08:19 AM
@^: Eh, those are good too, chief.

Hmm. Alrighty, then. Let's see what can be done...
Remove the armour's magicks, [has that Longbow seen IC use yet?] downgrade the Longbow to a brace of javelins, remove the Cloak of Resistance and downgrade the various fluffy knives to mundane metal...

Ancestral axe: 2320
Armour and darkwood shield, total: 407
Javelins: 10

Subtotal: 2737
+ Generous estimate of "All The Other Stuff": 1000

Subtotal: 3737
Um... whoopdedoo? Underspent? Spend whatever "change" on books and blades, ale and whores?

Sallera
2012-12-23, 08:06 PM
Well, your limit's 5400, so you could restore the Cloak or the armour enchantment.

Anderkent
2012-12-31, 03:53 AM
Been a bit of a hectic period, but starting on the 2nd I should be able to contribute more again.

With that said, happy new year :)

Miraqariftsky
2012-12-31, 03:01 PM
Been a bit of a hectic period, but starting on the 2nd I should be able to contribute more again.

With that said, happy new year :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR, YEH FRAKKERS!

I appreciate the wellwishes
And may you and yours
From this new January
'Til the month thirteenth
Be joyous and healthy
Prosperous in every course
May they ever you bless
Fellows and ancestors

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-04, 02:22 PM
Yikes. Sorry for the incommunicado. Running two gigs and swarming with correspondence.

Getting back... soon.

Sallera
2013-01-13, 03:54 PM
Do you have more to discuss or do in town, or would you like to move forward?

Also, Mina, I know you're busy, but I'd appreciate it if you could finish revising your inventory before it becomes relevant.

TheFallenOne
2013-01-13, 03:58 PM
From my side there's nothing keeping us from advancing to the next day, pick up the mules and return to the site of the trail.

Anderkent
2013-01-13, 06:20 PM
Ready to move on. Sorry, thought that part was clear.

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-13, 08:13 PM
Do you have more to discuss or do in town, or would you like to move forward?

Also, Mina, I know you're busy, but I'd appreciate it if you could finish revising your inventory before it becomes relevant.

Apologies, chief. Done. Removed the erroneous armour enhancement, downgraded the special weapons knives and replaced the hellcrap-expensive longbow with a brace of javelins as per earlier appraisal.

ZeroNumerous
2013-01-14, 06:37 AM
Do you have more to discuss or do in town, or would you like to move forward?

Waiting to move forward here.

Anderkent
2013-01-14, 07:16 PM
Did we get any experience for the owlbear encounter, btw?


I've been reviewing my char sheet and I don't think I recorded any.

ZeroNumerous
2013-01-14, 07:19 PM
Given that it's a new day, Cecily will prep a new spell list.

1st:
5 spells per day, 1 of which must be Conjuration.
Grease
Grease
Mage Armor
Lesser Orb of Acid
Enlarge Person

2nd:
4 spells per day, 1 of which must be Conjuration.
Heightened Lesser Orb of Acid
Glitterdust
Glitterdust
Heroics

Her 0th levels are always the same: 4 Detect Magics, and 1 Caltrops.


I'm open to suggestions for what to prep.

Sallera
2013-01-14, 07:20 PM
Hmm, I probably did miss that. 600xp for everyone.

TheFallenOne
2013-01-16, 09:55 AM
Hm... Can we retry a Survival check an hour later as per the Track description? Could we use Aid Another on that, or Search to find the trail again?

On another note, Kholzug shouldn't have Endurance, it only comes at Ranger 3. I also don't see how he should have two Favoured Enemies.

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-16, 10:31 AM
Hm... Can we retry a Survival check an hour later as per the Track description? Could we use Aid Another on that, or Search to find the trail again?

On another note, Kholzug shouldn't have Endurance, it only comes at Ranger 3. I also don't see how he should have two Favoured Enemies.

I second the motion on your suggestions.

Addressing your... latter matters: Spoke with the chief, reasoned that Endurance would have been better fitting his backstory at that stage. The chief said that it was fine, so long as I took a Ranger level next, and slapped on Wild Empathy. Well, that is, come the next level. Annnnnnd KOFF. Fixed.

Sallera
2013-01-16, 11:55 AM
Yes, any of those options can be tried.

ZeroNumerous
2013-01-16, 03:02 PM
Well, next time I think we should try taking ten instead of letting Nexus roll.

Between Cecily, Farin, and Tirondius all aiding by taking ten, we'll have +12 to the roll for a total of 22.

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-17, 01:35 AM
Well, next time I think we should try taking ten instead of letting Nexus roll.

Between Cecily, Farin, and Tirondius all aiding by taking ten, we'll have +12 to the roll for a total of 22.

~FACEPALM-headhang~

Yyyyyyyyeah. Sorry, y'all. Hurrbile. Looks like GMing those two other gigs've been sucking my dice-luck dry.

Sallera
2013-01-18, 12:47 AM
Don't forget to mark off comestible resources for the day.

TheFallenOne
2013-01-18, 07:56 PM
Does the trail lead roughly in he direction of the temple or not? Seems relevant for IC talk.

And out of curiosity, who here has played Temple of Elemental Evil without the Return part, either the module or the computer adaption?

Sallera
2013-01-19, 06:50 PM
As far as you can tell, yes. It is going generally east, but you reckon you're probably still a significant distance away from the temple, given Elmo's (admittedly very rough) directions.

Anderkent
2013-01-19, 07:25 PM
So the 'elves only need 4h of trance to rest' I remember from players handbook doesnt seem to be in SRD. What's the rules here? It somewhat influences the amount of time we need to spend resting (if we take the 4h rule, Farin can easily take watch after his trance, thus requiring only 2 hours of watch from each other fighter, so we can rest fully (and refresh spells) within 10 hours).

ZeroNumerous
2013-01-19, 07:33 PM
So the 'elves only need 4h of trance to rest' I remember from players handbook doesnt seem to be in SRD.

It's in the Monster Manual. It's flavor text, so it didn't make it into the SRD.

Sallera
2013-01-19, 07:38 PM
Aye, that rule's still around.

TheFallenOne
2013-01-23, 01:19 AM
Before I continue there I better ask to make sure - do you intentionally play Cecily in that hostile manner for some IC reason I'm not aware of, or do you think there's actually some truth to her ramblings?

ZeroNumerous
2013-01-23, 01:41 AM
Before I continue there I better ask to make sure - do you intentionally play Cecily in that hostile manner for some IC reason I'm not aware of, or do you think there's actually some truth to her ramblings?

Other than the fact that there's plenty of evidence for it?


It may well be peaceful coexistance with this group of hobgoblins won't be possible. Unsupported preconceptions go both ways - just as it is wrong to assume the goblins are guilty because of their race, we also shouldn't assume without evidence they are innocent of the crime or covetting peace.

Tironius claims that peaceful coexistence may not be possible, but does so without evidence to prove his statement. Elmo himself points out that they cannot be surviving purely on forage from the forests, and that lends a great deal of credence to the idea that they're raiding for food and survival. Do they like fighting? Yes. This is why Cecily suggested putting them to work fighting bandits. She knows they like fighting, and knows they are a structured society. This is why she suggests treating them as equals, but Tironius would rather treat them like suspects and assume their guilt rather than assume their innocence.

Tironius further goes on to say that preceptions can go both ways, but takes the stance that open conflict is the only recourse. He makes no overtures toward even attempting discussion, and suggests fighting them when he has literally no evidence as to their involvement. In fact, Elmo states that they stopped raiding the town after being defeated. For hobgoblins, defeat implies a position of power, and they simply would not attack the town unless pressured to do so.

If anything, a calm and rational person would realize that you can't keep horses in a forest--particularly if you're unable to forage enough in the forest to survive by yourself--because they need room to move and enough grass to eat. On top of that, those very same horses are dangers due to the presence of owlbears--which Elmo explicitly state live in the deep forest nearby--and other predators which would be happy to eat them.

Given that the bandits in question used horses we can only assume that they have access to large amounts of room to move around, fields of grass for the horses to graze on, and are not hungry enough that eating the horses becomes a worthy prospect. Elmo openly states that the hobgoblins are raiding to survive, but Tironius still claims that it's hobgoblins who rode those horses.

A forest unable to support the subsistence of its population would not have horses for war, because they would have been eaten or put to labor in order to ensure the survival of their owners. Clearly Tironius believes otherwise despite no evidence to the contrary. Why? I can only assume he's racist, because there's no logical reason behind his opinon.


If our trail leads to the goblins, a confrontation will likely be inevitable. Even if the raid wasn't conducted by the whole group, they're likely reluctant to punish those in their midst with the resentment born of conflict with the villagers.

Again, Tironius assumes that the hobgoblins are behind the raid at all, and does so with no evidence. In fact, he does so in spite of evidence stating that they have ceased raiding Hommlet. How is this supposed to be taken any way other than being needlessly racist?


We have multiple testimonies towards the goblins' previous activities.

We have one: Elmo. Who, again, openly states that the hobgoblins stopped raiding Hommlet.

And then we get to the trail, and this gem comes out:


"I agree. The militia have been informed to look out for the wine turning up should the bandits have been native to Hommlet. Exploring the other direction seems more fruitful. Though should we encounter the hobgoblins we should not immediately assume hostility. There is no clear link to the crime now."

Oh man, poor Tironius. Now he actually can't just outright attack the hobgoblins for being hobgoblins. Again, it speaks of Tironius' presumption of guilt without evidence, and supports the idea that he assumed there was a link between the hobgoblins and the crime when the only testimony we have concerning the hobgoblins explicitly states they had stopped raiding Hommlet.

With no logical recourse to his actions: Tironius is plainly acting like a racist. There's no way to fluff that otherwise. And Cecily isn't hostile to people who aren't racists. She likes both Kholzug and Farin. She just happens to not like racists, or anyone who excludes others based on birth really. It's part of her backstory.

TheFallenOne
2013-01-23, 02:17 AM
So, so many things wrong there...


Tironius claims that peaceful coexistence may not be possible, but does so without evidence to prove his statement.

You do realize 'may' denotes a possibility? He just stated peace between Hommlet and the hobgoblins might be possible, or not. He even points out the reluctance to peace might come from Verbobonc/Hommlet instead of the goblins.


This is why she suggests treating them as equals, but Tironius would rather treat them like suspects and assume their guilt rather than assume their innocence.

Suspects for sure. And he called out for obtaining evidence by following the trail instead of assuming either guilt or innocence.


Tironius further goes on to say that preceptions can go both ways, but takes the stance that open conflict is the only recourse.

What.



If anything, a calm and rational person would realize that you can't keep horses in a forest--particularly if you're unable to forage enough in the forest to survive by yourself--because they need room to move and enough grass to eat. On top of that, those very same horses are dangers due to the presence of owlbears--which Elmo explicitly state live in the deep forest nearby--and other predators which would be happy to eat them.

Given that the bandits in question used horses we can only assume that they have access to large amounts of room to move around, fields of grass for the horses to graze on, and are not hungry enough that eating the horses becomes a worthy prospect. Elmo openly states that the hobgoblins are raiding to survive, but Tironius still claims that it's hobgoblins who rode those horses.

A forest unable to support the subsistence of its population would not have horses for war, because they would have been eaten or put to labor in order to ensure the survival of their owners. Clearly Tironius believes otherwise despite no evidence to the contrary. Why? I can only assume he's racist, because there's no logical reason behind his opinon.

I can't see where it's pointed out the temple is completely surrounded by forest. Much less deep forest.
Not to mention that quoted part loses all validity when you remember he did ask Elmo whether or not the goblins have horses. Which they just happen to do, unless you assume Elmo lied there. And again, he never said "Oh yeah, that totally was the gobbos."


Again, Tironius assumes that the hobgoblins are behind the raid at all, and does so with no evidence.

Perhaps you shouldn't have ignored the "If our trail leads to the goblins" before the part you bolded. IF the trail leads to them he'll of course assume it was them, I'd call that pretty good evidence!


You read a lot of things there very very wrong, bordering on offensively wrong with how insistently you throw around racist reinterpretations of my PC. I'd suggest you take a slow, deep breath and reread what he actually said. At no point he takes the hobgoblins' guilt for granted. He considers them a possibly guilty party and calls for obtaining evidence on the crime instead of assuming either guilt or innocence with nothing to support it. I even had him say Cecily's plan has merit to smooth over the sudden hostility she displayed, but apparently that fell on deaf ears for both the PC and its player.

ZeroNumerous
2013-01-23, 02:29 AM
You do realize 'may' denotes a possibility? He just stated peace between Hommlet and the hobgoblins might be possible, or not. He even points out the reluctance to peace might come from Verbobonc/Hommlet instead of the goblins.

Except his words aren't supported by his actions.


Suspects for sure. And he called out for obtaining evidence by following the trail instead of assuming either guilt or innocence.

Again, words unsupported by his actions. He openly attacks the idea of opening communication with the hobgoblins. Twice.


What.

There's two courses of action: Attack or talk. He does not want to attempt the second, so he is a proponent of the first.


I can't see where it's pointed out the temple is completely surrounded by forest. Much less deep forest.

I can't see where it's pointed out that the hobgoblins live in the temple, or that they're even related to it.


Not to mention that quoted part loses all validity when you remember he did ask Elmo whether or not the goblins have horses. Which they just happen to do, unless you assume Elmo lied there. And again, he never said "Oh yeah, that totally was the gobbos."

I don't see it, but okay. I'll throw out the possibility that they have horses.


Perhaps you shouldn't have ignored the "If our trail leads to the goblins" before the part you bolded. IF the trail leads to them he'll of course assume it was them, I'd call that pretty good evidence!

Perhaps you shouldn't ignore the fact that he goes to this location looking for evidence that the hobgoblins are involved rather than looking for evidence of its perpetrators. He is moving with the assumption that the hobgoblins are the perpetrators, and is surprised when they aren't.

TheFallenOne
2013-01-23, 02:48 AM
Except his words aren't supported by his actions.

Elaborate.


He openly attacks the idea of opening communication with the hobgoblins. Twice.

Wrong. He says it won't be as simple as Cecily makes it out to be. And 'your plan of using their disposition to fighting has merit and is a worthy endeavour' is openly attacking the idea now, really?


I can't see where it's pointed out that the hobgoblins live in the temple, or that they're even related to it.

*cough*


"If you found him along the north or east way... well, imagine Hommlet is here, Verbobonc up here. Halfway between them, if you were to turn to the east and continue for a day or two, you'd reach the ruins of the old temple hereabouts. That's the best guess I can give you as to the location of your bandits, but I'm sure you can imagine why that's known and they're still there."

His mouth twists into a grimace as he continues. "There's a band of hobgoblins that's made that place their fort."


I don't see it, but okay.

*cough* (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14457555&postcount=104) *choke* (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14465681&postcount=105)
Is that really so hard to find in a conversation lasting less than a page? :smallconfused:


Perhaps you shouldn't ignore the fact that he goes to this location looking for evidence that the hobgoblins are involved rather than looking for evidence of its perpetrators.

Where are you getting this from? It's blatantly wrong.


He is moving with the assumption that the hobgoblins are the perpetrators, and is surprised when they aren't.

Are you playing my character now? Now you're down to just making stuff up instead of only misinterpreting!

ZeroNumerous
2013-01-23, 04:16 AM
Elaborate.

See my last statement.


Wrong. He says it won't be as simple as Cecily makes it out to be. And 'your plan of using their disposition to fighting has merit and is a worthy endeavour' is openly attacking the idea now, really?

"A confrontation is likely inevitable"

He openly states that he believes the raid was conducted by hobgoblins, even if the entire group was not involved: "Even if the raid wasn't conducted by the whole group, they're likely reluctant to punish those in their midst with the resentment born of conflict with the villagers."

That clearly implies that the hobgoblins were behind it, and given that Tironius is using that as an argument for NOT approaching them diplomatically it's pretty obvious what his stance is: He thinks the hobgoblins were behind it.


Is that really so hard to find in a conversation lasting less than a page? :smallconfused:

It is kind of hard to find actually.


Where are you getting this from? It's blatantly wrong.


Are you playing my character now? Now you're down to just making stuff up instead of only misinterpreting!

"Though should we encounter the hobgoblins we should not immediately assume hostility. There is no clear link to the crime now."

That reads as if he was going to assume hostility before, and that he believed there was a clear link prior to arriving on the scene. It's pretty damn clear.

It's not misinterpretation. If your intention was anything other than that, then you've written it poorly. But the way it comes across is Tironius looking for a confirmation that the hobgoblins were the perpetrators rather than being open-minded to the possibility of non-hobgoblins being the threat.

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-23, 05:24 AM
Both of y'all. No offense meant, but could y'all please mebbe step off for a while, walk around, take a drink, cool yerselves down before this thing escalates further? For the greater good, and for y'all's sakes as well.

TheFallenOne
2013-01-23, 11:45 AM
I'm afraid it has escalated to far already. I'm tired of these insistent vilifications citing wrong or out of context evidence(like ignoring the first half of 'If our trail leads to the goblins, a confrontation will likely be inevitable.' He even capitalized the 'a' to make it look like a standalone sentence instead of a if-then statement. I have no idea where this hostility is coming from, but given how insistently he ignores evidence and makes up his own I'd say it's beyond reason by now.

That he was oblivious of the horses thing is just the icing on the cake and shows how little awareness he has of what Tironius actually said. He made up his mind, and didn't bother rereading the whole thing to check the validity of his interpretation.

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-23, 11:53 AM
I am not the GM of this gig.
I am merely a concerned fellow citizen Forummer and fellow common player who wishes peace and order for all parties concerned.
Could we all please just agree to disagree?
Cross the bridge when we get there?
RELAX, guys, it's just a game?

And by the way, this is neither Clue, nor Chess. For the sake of the group, our GM, and the greater good, I do humbly implore y'all, RELAX, guys, it's just a game. A social one, at that.

A third time, for good luck: Agree to disagree? Relax, guys, it's just a game. Peace and order, y'all?

TheFallenOne
2013-01-23, 12:04 PM
No, we can not agree to disagree whether or not the way I play Tironius means he's a racist.

More importantly, we can not agree to disagree whether or not ZeroNumerous has a higher authority than me on my character's actions and thoughts. It is my character, and when I say he never made up his mind on the goblins' guilt or innocence that's Word of God.

Anderkent
2013-01-23, 05:59 PM
Wish I could help, but I'm too tired right now to read through those text walls. I assume we'll be taking a break until this clears up?

For what it's worth, I think Zero should give a bit more of a benefit of doubt to what each of us says. Misunderstandings are bound to happen, but they're not always bad things - they can be roleplayed to great fun even after they're cleared up OOC. But what's happening here is not fun for anyone.

Sallera
2013-01-24, 10:44 PM
All calm now? Or perhaps just not interested in continuing the argument? Regardless, keep things that way. The characters are entitled to believe what they wish about the other characters, and what their players have to say on the topic of their own characters' thoughts is the final word on the matter. The players are to keep further debates on the subject to themselves.

I realize all this started from a simple request for clarification, but if you can't get along out-of-character, keep your disagreements in-character - in the sense of both the thread and consistent thought processes. I can deal with them there, and they're both more interesting and much less disruptive to the game.

People aren't always rational, and most characters aren't either. Cecily has her reasons for taking Tironius's statements in the context she does, and one can expect Tironius to react accordingly based on his own beliefs. Please leave it at that.

Sallera
2013-01-28, 02:01 PM
*poke*

I don't like having to NPC people, but I'd rather not have to search for replacements either, given the interesting group dynamic you lot have going. Fallen aside, are the rest of you still around and interested in continuing?

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-28, 02:11 PM
Sir yessir, sorry sir.
Happens sometimes, threads pile up... or threads get lost. Presently on it.

TheFallenOne
2013-01-28, 03:16 PM
The surly halforc crouches over a patch of grass
Bent the slightest on the path they did pass
Footfalls few their mark there do leave
"Izza dis or dat, y'all. I believe
Most-a dem gits passin'
Thissaway be leavin'
Roadsway an' goin'
Inta the foresst
Beyond.
Few only go thattaway inta there"

*blink*
Didn't see that coming :smallbiggrin:

Anderkent
2013-01-28, 03:19 PM
*poke*

I don't like having to NPC people, but I'd rather not have to search for replacements either, given the interesting group dynamic you lot have going. Fallen aside, are the rest of you still around and interested in continuing?

Kinda takes the fun out of it. Arguments are fine in game, but when they leak OOC like this I find trying to write anything IC turns into a chore. Especially since I find myself mostly agreeing with Fallen.

While the current group dynamics may be 'interesting', I doubt they're fun for anyone, and I don't think the party can be stable like this.

So while I'm interested in continuing, I don't expect us to last very long, which is draining my motivation a little. Sorry!

TheFallenOne
2013-01-28, 04:04 PM
I have to agree I don't consider Cecily's attitude towards Tironius interesting in a 'fun' kind of way. Even less so the OOC talk following that.

But we haven't heard from Zero since we got Word of DM, so one can still hope things will be calmer and friendlier from now on.

Sallera
2013-01-30, 12:22 PM
Zero isn't interested in coming back, so it looks like I'm stuck with Cecily until we work out a more permanent solution.

Sallera
2013-01-31, 12:04 PM
Nothing in particular happens as Tironius waits, so the rest of you can join him in whatever fashion you prefer.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-04, 01:53 AM
Nulb? Wow, that place has gone downhill since ToEE. Not that it was pleasant back then, mind.

stuff
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

*checks spoiler*
OK that is awesome :smallbiggrin:

Sallera
2013-02-04, 01:57 AM
A DC25 Knowledge: History check gets you this:During the second rise of the nearby temple, the associated moathouse near Hommlet was led by a man known as Lerath the Beautiful, although he was killed when it was taken. Nulb was the name of the hamlet that grew near the temple to provide goods and services to its inhabitants.
Edit: Ninja'd me with your checks. Your Local's untrained, so you just get the vague recollection that Nulb was a place related to the old temple in some way.

Edit edit: Ah, your skills aren't sorted. Missed that at the bottom there.
Fallen:Nulb was the name of the hamlet that grew up near the old temple; its main purpose was to provide goods and services to the temple's inhabitants, which gave it a nasty reputation that was mostly deserved. These days, it is commonly considered haunted, and avoided by anyone with any sense.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-04, 02:05 AM
I do have Local trained. MW only has 4 Knowledge spaces in the alphabetical skill order, so I put additional ones at the bottom.

Sallera
2013-02-04, 02:07 AM
Yeah, noticed that afterward; see above. Does MW not save the skill order if you sort it?

TheFallenOne
2013-02-04, 04:01 AM
Let's see, sort by name then save... Jup, works.

Also, did I just ninja you two separate times there? The tides are turning it seems :smalltongue:

Sallera
2013-02-06, 04:39 PM
Sorry to be blatant about this, but I'd really appreciate it if you took it upon yourselves to poke around the tavern at some point before leaving... *coughreplacementcharactercough*

Anderkent
2013-02-06, 07:32 PM
There you go, and no problem. We'd probably go there anyway, if we remembered the mentioned sounds :)

BTW I'm sorry about my posting schedule lately, I know we promised to aim for at least once a day, and I'll try to be better about it - but missing some days is unfortunately unavoidable.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-06, 09:53 PM
Sorry to be blatant about this, but I'd really appreciate it if you took it upon yourselves to poke around the tavern at some point before leaving... *coughreplacementcharactercough*

In my old days we called that a Master Arrow. Big red thing floating in the air, pointing in the direction we really really should go but for some unexpected reason didn't.

So, you already got a replacement player?

Sallera
2013-02-07, 11:31 AM
Yeah, picked up one of the others I had my eye on from the recruitment thread.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-08, 12:34 AM
Well aren't I happy to have bought that Wyrmfang Amulet, or I'd be a sitting duck here... Though how do things like throws, trips and disarms work on a ghost?

Sallera
2013-02-08, 12:55 AM
Trips are ineffective; it's got a fly speed. Throws and disarms could still work, though, with the usual caveat about incorporeal interaction.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-08, 01:36 AM
Nexus, don't forget the incorporeal miss chance. Flanking is no problem as I have Island of Blades active.

[roll0]

Miraqariftsky
2013-02-08, 01:41 AM
Thanks. That's... presumably a dee-hundred? [roll0]

SEVENTEEN! Weapon Skill Target Number with mods, Seventy! Six degrees of succe---

---oh, wait. This isn't Warhammer/Dark Heresy. HEH-heh-heh.

Sooooo... is a 17 good or bad?

TheFallenOne
2013-02-08, 02:37 AM
Low is bad. You need 51+ to hit. Though I think my rolls made up for your miss :smallamused:

Miraqariftsky
2013-02-08, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the sitrep, the support and...

...grr-grumble... whyyyyy do you betray me, d100? This is D&D, not Dark Heresy!

Anderkent
2013-02-08, 02:38 PM
Well, I've seen better to-hits.

Edit: is Cecily dead? I need to know whether to mark a spell as casted or not.

Sallera
2013-02-08, 04:06 PM
She be dead'd. Precisely to -10, as it turned out; the ghost got a rather impressive damage roll.

Anderkent
2013-02-08, 08:39 PM
Fort vs ghost ability: [roll0] against 14


oof, that would have hurt :)

TheFallenOne
2013-02-08, 09:23 PM
Nasty... Don't failt me dice gods [roll0]

edit: well, the dice do love me in this fight. Really didn't expect to run into incorporeal stuff this early. Quite lucky each of us can wound it given how much of our WBL a magic weapon takes up.

Miraqariftsky
2013-02-08, 11:27 PM
Fortitude save, dagnabbit!

[roll0]

YeeeeeHAW.

@Anderkent: Ye sure ye don't want to whip out some Turn Undead on this bugger, my good fellow?

Anderkent
2013-02-09, 07:32 AM
Nexus: I can try, but in general it's unlikely to succeed on a single opponent.

Ghosts generally have +4 turn resistance, so even if he has only 2HD I'd have to roll 19 or higher on charisma. If he has more than 3, no matter how much I roll I can't turn him.

Miraqariftsky
2013-02-09, 07:42 AM
Nexus: I can try, but in general it's unlikely to succeed on a single opponent.

Ghosts generally have +4 turn resistance, so even if he has only 2HD I'd have to roll 19 or higher on charisma. If he has more than 3, no matter how much I roll I can't turn him.

HUH. Okay. Didn't know that, sorreh.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-10, 01:26 AM
Would my Religion roll of 23 reveal the basics of ghosts, most importantly the Rejuvenation part?

Miraqariftsky
2013-02-10, 01:36 AM
Would my Religion roll of 23 reveal the basics of ghosts, most importantly the Rejuvenation part?

Otherwise stated as: When/Will it return? I crave some vengeance.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-10, 01:40 AM
Yeah, that whole 'righteous fury of vengeance for my dead friend' fell a bit flat when your dice refused to provide :smalltongue:

Miraqariftsky
2013-02-10, 05:03 AM
BAH! Baaaaah, I say! Grr, grumble.

Sallera
2013-02-10, 06:36 AM
Didn't I put the Rejuvenation info in the spoiler IC?

Anderkent
2013-02-10, 07:41 PM
I just found out that clerics, as opposed to wizard, have to prepare all spells in one go, which makes my original idea of preparing gentle reposte now impossible.

Can still do it after we rest though, so it doesn't matter much.

Can I use the unprepared slots for spontaneous healing if occasion requires?

Sallera
2013-02-10, 10:00 PM
Ah, yeah, missed that you'd done that. Spontaneous healing is fine.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-12, 04:03 PM
RC, you're up. This could be a rather important moment for Kholzug's character development.

Anderkent
2013-02-12, 05:26 PM
Yup. Though in a world with afterlife and resurrection, death is not as terrible. It takes about 5500 gold to raise dead someone, if I recall correctly, 5000 for the components and 500 for the caster. Selling Cecilys stuff could net us around 3k (basing on the 5400 starting wealth) - that's halfway there. The rest we'd have to earn or loan - would need some GM cooperation here, but a good aligned character that expects to have a lot of work for us and willing to trust us on it may do it.

Of course without her equipment Cecily couldn't keep adventuring with us, and would have to try and find employment somewhere else (going back home, perhaps) while we work to pay off the loan.

Well, we don't know whether it can work unless we try :) Your character knew Cecily the most, so it's his call to decide whether she'd rather be raised, poor and probably alone, or stay dead.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-13, 02:05 AM
Um, Cecily was violently removed for a reason :smalltongue: Raising her would rather trivialize the whole thing, whereas losing a comrade like that is an important experience for each of our PCs.

Miraqariftsky
2013-02-13, 04:57 AM
OOC and IC, agreed.

Raising, schmaising, BAH, says I. All due respect, let the Biblical stay with the Biblical.

Anderkent
2013-02-13, 12:10 PM
That's... unexpected. So what do you believe the IC reason for Cecilys violent removal to be?

Losing a comrade may be an character development experience when it cannot be helped, but that's not the case here. We *can* bring her back, you're just deciding not to. Without any IC reason for that, as far as I can tell.

Do you keep the same sentiment for every party member? I.e. should anything happen to Tir or Kholzug, Farin is not to try raising them? That's the conclusion Farin's getting right now - though I'll probably ask about that IC once I fully process this scene.

My IC post will be a bit delayed, sorry. I never expected a situation like this, and need to think about how Farin would react to what to me looks like a pretty cruel betrayal.

Am I missing something obvious?

Miraqariftsky
2013-02-13, 12:18 PM
IC reason--- I don't get it, sorry. She got killed?

Cruel betrayal--- HOW?

Pretty sure he's never heard of easy-as-crap dead returning to life and those he knows of are things that need to be chopped apart, burned and re-buried with silver and garlic. Probably'd have a negative view of such things as well, from what Cecily'd been reading to him.

Anderkent
2013-02-13, 02:02 PM
IC reason--- I don't get it, sorry. She got killed?


I was answering that bit:


Um, Cecily was violently removed for a reason


I suppose I never considered you might not know people can be raised from dead - always thought this would just be common knowledge in the D&D universe. But if that's the only reason for Kholzugs reaction, it might bite us pretty hard later on, when he eventually finds out that we could have saved her and we didn't.

Sallera
2013-02-13, 02:10 PM
It's a fifth level spell with significant associated costs, and it needs to be used within a few days of death; actually casting it is a rare enough event that I wouldn't be surprised if most people didn't consider it a serious possibility. For the vast majority of folk, after all, dead is dead.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-13, 02:18 PM
What Sallera said. Level 4 is still early enough for the characters not to see bringing someone back as a realistic option. Just like 'Maybe this is worth a teleport' wouldn't cross their mind yet for travelling.

If it's that important to you we could get a Speak with Dead cast on Cecily, then our DM has to come up with an IC reason why she doesn't want to come back :smalltongue:

Miraqariftsky
2013-02-13, 02:23 PM
It's a fifth level spell with significant associated costs, and it needs to be used within a few days of death; actually casting it is a rare enough event that I wouldn't be surprised if most people didn't consider it a serious possibility. For the vast majority of folk, after all, dead is dead.

It was my assumption that "for the vast majority of folk", things like that only happened in tales or in Scripture.

And... WHAT the HELL is a Teleport?

Kshnort.

Hope I don't owe apologies for any biases. Most of my previous games were either low-budget or low-magick. Or both.

Anderkent
2013-02-13, 02:37 PM
It was my assumption that "for the vast majority of folk", things like that only happened in tales or in Scripture.


Sure, but level 4 adventurers are far from the 'vast majority of folk'. And as soon as you know it's possible at all (from the aforementioned tales or scripture), why wouldn't you ask yourself if a friend can be brought back when they die?

Especially when they die how Cecily died - murdered suddenly and without warning.



Level 4 is still early enough for the characters not to see bringing someone back as a realistic option. Just like 'Maybe this is worth a teleport' wouldn't cross their mind yet for travelling.


Teleport has mundane alternatives though, and I think the main reason it's not used is there is rarely reason to go really far away. As soon as you have to get to the other end of the continent, it's sure to be mentioned.



If it's that important to you we could get a Speak with Dead cast on Cecily, then our DM has to come up with an IC reason why she doesn't want to come back


Unfortunately that doesn't work - speak with dead only accesses memories imprinted in the body, doesn't actually communicate with the soul. Which Farin would know. Unless we're willing to house rule this? Say it communicates with the soul, but it's impossible to say anything they didn't know when they were dying.

Cecily could then just go 'No! I'm doing *** ** ** ****** ... oh, seems like I can't tell you about it. Well, no anyway!'

Other than that... I'll try to figure out a way of letting it drop without completely breaking Farin, since it seems you guys are in agreement about what the right thing to do is.

EDIT:



Hope I don't owe apologies for any biases. Most of my previous games were either low-budget or low-magick. Or both.


Actually I have no problem at all with Kholzug not knowing about raise dead/teleport. But I think Tironius would? Of course that's TFO's call.

And as I mentioned before, not knowing about it doesn't resolve the issue, because Farin will just try to explain.

So the possible solutions I see:
1. No one of us knows that Cecily could be raised. Kinda icky - surely Farin has learned of the spell.
2. We somehow find out Cecily doesn't want to be raised - preferably before we actually attempt the casting (wouldn't that suck!)
3. Cecily's body is not raise-able - the ghost mutilated it and bits and pieces are missing.

I kinda like 3rd one - it's plausible that Cecily wouldn't want to be raised looking like Lerath, and perhaps losing the ability to cast spells due to damaged hands/mouth.

Miraqariftsky
2013-02-13, 02:51 PM
Because he'd be too consumed with exacting revenge. If he gets killed in trying to do so, he doesn't give a whit. His old tribal beliefs had no concept of benevolent dead-raising. The Firebrand's preaching mentioned Life, Love and Liberty as worth fighting for, but advocated immediate action and revolution, with no assurance of dead-raising.

My friend, do you see this packet of biscuits? ~smash on a table and SMASH again~ If that wrapper were opened...

...well, let's just say that's Kholzug's present level of sanity.

If you really think it's feasible though, maybe you could have Farin explain it? Slowly?

EDIT: ...did I mention he believes in cremation? Or rather, now thinks cremation'd be wise?

Anderkent
2013-02-13, 02:57 PM
Right - when Sallera either accepts or denies the retroactive solution (i.e. Cecily was too mutilated to be raised), which I currently think is the easiest answer for this situation, I'll probably move further discussion into IC.

If we could do that then it both keeps the party together, allows the characters to develop (as you said, losing a friend when you can't do anything about it is a big event) but doesn't put so much grief and regret on them to actually break them.

Sallera
2013-02-13, 03:04 PM
Well, well. Actually, the reason I wanted you to head there in particular to do the deed was because I figured raising would be a potential issue, and there was such a convenient death attack nearby. While she technically died to the sneak attack before even having to roll against the death effect, it's easy enough to say that that makes her unraisable without a Resurrection. Not mutilated, just spirit thoroughly severed from the body. And that's not implausible coming from a ghost, anyway.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-13, 03:12 PM
That is very convenient. And now I'm all the more worried about finding this ghost's anchor before he goes 'Save or Die, do not pass go and can not be raised' on one of us :smalleek:

Anderkent
2013-02-13, 06:34 PM
Well, we could just stay away if we fail to eradicate him.

Anderkent
2013-02-15, 08:10 PM
Anybody out there? Are we waiting for something specific?

Sallera
2013-02-16, 09:02 PM
I'm just waiting for you to decide how to proceed. Quiet time is your time. Usually. :3

TheFallenOne
2013-02-17, 03:06 AM
Well, obviously we need a reaction from Kholzug. After that I plan to take a look around the tavern, both for the Master Arrow and finding any clues to the history of this ghost.

Miraqariftsky
2013-02-17, 03:08 AM
AHA! There it is! Koff. Mea culpa, fellows. Misplaced the thread/s. Tab open, post en route.

W'elp. Done.

Sallera
2013-02-17, 10:21 PM
The Master Arrow was for the current scene, so that's dealt with, just to make that clear.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-19, 12:39 PM
Ah, it was just a kill mission. My first instinct when entering was the moans were of the replacement character somehow left in an unpleasant position.

Anderkent, could you throw in a Detect Magic on the cup and general area?

Miraqariftsky
2013-02-19, 12:52 PM
All due respect to all parties concerned, methinks it's my turn to say "Yyyyeah, that ain't something my character would do." Methinks he's still minded to rip everything apart, and given the latest, his desire to raze the entire place has been reinforced.

And yet that conflicts with OOC interests.

Tch.

And WHAT "Master Arrow" is that, if I may ask?

Sallera
2013-02-19, 12:53 PM
Well, you could always raze it afterward.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-19, 01:01 PM
If Kholzug goes into 'HULK SMASH!' mode I'm not inclined to step in the way. It would though be regretable if the anchor is something in there we need, like perhaps giving the corpse a proper burial.

Miraqariftsky
2013-02-19, 01:13 PM
Bahhhhh. Fine. If this were a card game, I'd go "Pass". So then, I'll go passive 'til the next non-crazy moment that's good enough. My apologies.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-19, 01:48 PM
If a bit of mindless rage is what you're character would do just go for it, nobody means to hold you back. Sometimes you suffer disadvantages from properly playing your character, that's just part of the game. If you smash something we might need so be it.

Anderkent
2013-02-19, 03:53 PM
I'm more than okay with going on. What's the worst that could happen?

Sallera
2013-02-21, 11:57 AM
Mina, perhaps you could lend a vote IC for one course of action or the other (or a third)?

Anderkent
2013-02-24, 06:48 PM
A slight retroactive amendment, since going into the inn with a body is unlikely to be welcomed...

Sallera, I didn't mention it explicitly, but can we agree that I was preserving the body (with gentle repose) during our travel? Otherwise she's likely to be... not pretty, by now. It's something I thought about before but forgot to state before we left.

Sallera
2013-02-24, 08:25 PM
Oh aye, you mentioned Gentle Repose earlier, so I assumed that was what you were doing.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-25, 04:11 PM
I'm unsure what to do now. I assumed there's a reason the update goes out of its way to bring us to the Welcome Wench, like being flatout too tired to do anything else without a short rest. Anderkent's last post pretty much invalidates mine as Tironius wouldn't go in if the others planned to take care of Cecily first.

Sallera
2013-02-25, 04:29 PM
Not in particular, no, although being tired is a safe assumption; I was just going to see if Mina had anything to add. If not, I'll post an update tonight.

Anderkent
2013-02-25, 05:28 PM
I'm unsure what to do now. I assumed there's a reason the update goes out of its way to bring us to the Welcome Wench, like being flatout too tired to do anything else without a short rest. Anderkent's last post pretty much invalidates mine as Tironius wouldn't go in if the others planned to take care of Cecily first.

Sorry about that. I figured the inn was just a waypoint, and that you forgot that we're keeping a body with us.

I considered asking in OOC whether you remembered and went in on purpose, but thought that since my IC posts are rare enough as is, skipping one for a fairly banal question would not be productive.

Since it's mostly a miscommunication, I'd think amending your last post is fine, if you wish to do that. Up to Sallera, obviously.

Sallera
2013-02-25, 05:33 PM
Not a problem, if that's what you want.

Sallera
2013-02-26, 12:36 AM
Ech, tired. Fallen, you can join them at the church if you want; otherwise, I'll start a second scene at the inn tomorrow.

Sallera
2013-02-28, 12:07 PM
Mina, everything alright on your end?

TheFallenOne
2013-03-01, 06:01 PM
perhaps we should just skip over that part and fill it in later, or handle it by NPCing so we can progress?

Sallera
2013-03-01, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I've got an exam tonight, but that's the plan for tomorrow.

Sallera
2013-03-02, 04:51 PM
Fallen:Regarding the knocking, Tironius should be aware by now of the compulsion, although he might not necessarily understand it. Whether you want to do anything about it is of course up to you, I just wanted to put that out there.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-02, 05:09 PM
could you clarify the specifics. Do I knock at any door I pass through, or just the door to a building? Do I knock on my own inn room, both when entering and leaving?

Sallera
2013-03-02, 05:15 PM
Fallen:It will trigger whenever you are 'entering' something that could be perceived as a new building or a new room, as long as the entrance is defined by a portal of some sort. So upon entering your room, yes, but not when leaving it, and not when passing from, say, one room of a natural cavern to another. If in a large building with multiple exits from the rooms or corridors in question, it would likely trigger both ways even if going back and forth between two areas.

Sallera
2013-03-03, 07:22 PM
Sorry, J-H, but could you redo that post, please (and avoid doing the same thing in future)? Describing a response in the third person like that makes it very difficult to carry on a coherent conversation, it forces the other person to guess at what exactly is being conveyed, and, well, it's kind of lazy. If you need to make up minor details to fill out what I put in your introductory post, then just go for it! They're rumours, after all; they're not going to be 100% accurate anyway.

Anderkent
2013-03-05, 12:41 PM
Component cost, the damnation of all spell casters.

I don't think we can afford the spell right now, actually, even if we pool resources. Unless we tap Cecily's equipment, which would be most untasteful.

On another note, are those spoilers really necessary? It makes it difficult to read the thread.


I still need to prepare my spell list ;|
is Detect Ghost from Ghostwalk allowed? It's a simple level 0 cleric/wizard spell that would help quite a bit here.



Divination [Ectomancy]
Level: Bard 0, Cleric 0, Druid 0, Sorcerer 0, Wizard 0,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 ft.
Area: Quarter-circle emanating from you to the extreme of the range
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You detect ghosts.
The amount of information revealed depends on how long you study a particular area or subject.
1st Round: Presence or absence of ghosts.
2nd Round:Number of different ghosts.
3rd Round: The location of each ghost.


I can understand if it's not okay, since it takes away some of the opponents advantage.

edit: on reconsideration, I can probably use detect evil instead.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-05, 12:56 PM
... Don't tell me we don't have enough for a simple Identify.

I didn't update my money, so I got the 21 and another 23 from the wine delivery.
If we can't pool enough I'm inclined to leave my weapon crystal as collateral and pay him some extra coins later. Surely something can be arranged.

Sallera
2013-03-05, 01:01 PM
Detect Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectUndead.htm) should serve your ghostbusting needs, I think.

The spoilers are just to keep Hrolf's and your scenes separate. Once J-H fixes that post, we can do away with them as soon as you visit Nem's and meet up.

Anderkent
2013-03-05, 01:07 PM
Well, I think we forgot to keep some handy cash when buying stuff initially.. I've only got a couple more than we got for the delivery.

It might be a good idea to put the ghost aside for a bit and chase down the hint we got from Nulb about wine delivery. Not sure if Kholzug will be open to the idea, though. Laying out some destruction in the tavern again may help that...
Or it might not.

Alternatively I might try to find someone to sell some of my mundanes (manacles+lock seemed like a good idea at the time, but right now they seem outright silly), or take a loan with these in collateral. Getting rid of manacles and tanglefoots should net us enough for the identify.

We should also figure out what to do with Cecily's stuff. Ask Kholzug for any family to send it to, or something? So that we're not tempted. On a meta game level, we probably can't keep it - it's too much. If there's no one to give it to, bury/cremate it with her, I suppose.

Sallera
2013-03-05, 01:09 PM
Yeah, at the moment I'm assuming Cecily's belongings will be sent to next of kin. If Mina doesn't come back, Kholzug will go to take care of that, but I'll NPC him at least until the Nulb subplot is resolved.

Sallera
2013-03-05, 05:35 PM
Just so it's clear, I'll update once you've decided whether to go straight to Nem's or barter/sell stuff to get the Identify.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-05, 05:41 PM
I'm working on it, was just pondering what to offer as insurance, but I think I'll go with the weapon crystal.

Anderkent
2013-03-05, 06:33 PM
Fair enough - are we staying there for the hour? I suppose nothing immediately urgent is around. Though perhaps we should go visit Nem for party reunion? On the other hand nothing in the other posts suggests time alignment, I think, so we can stay here for an hour and still get to Nem in time to meet Hrolf.

Since I'm not sure we're leaving immediately, I'll amend my last IC to have the conversation happen now, not as Farin and Tironius leave the shop.

btw, my green doesnt look very good on the spoiler background ;/ I wonder if a darker one would work better.

Black
DarkGreen
Green
SeaGreen
Lime


Black
DarkGreen
Green
SeaGreen
Lime


eh, don't think any of these is better.

J-H
2013-03-05, 11:00 PM
Post edited, sorry about that.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-06, 04:21 PM
When I found the cup, did it in any way stand out, except for the immaculate appearance? Was it separated from the other drinking vessels, were there other wooden cups in the same place?