PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Question

lord pringle
2012-11-20, 02:11 AM
I have a quick little question. If I'm working on a homebrew project that uses maneuvers and stances made by other people, Do I need to get their permission for it or can I just use it? I'm sorry if this should be in the homebrew section, but it seemed to fit a bit better here.

eggs
2012-11-20, 04:05 AM
I won't speak from authority on the legality, but if it's a free-access project that you're not making any money off that just tips a hat to someone else's free-access project they're not making any money off, I doubt there'd be an issue.

But it's certainly good manners to ask permission before incorporating someone else's name with your own project. If you're doing decent work, odds are the writers would be willing (they've already released the material for other people's use), but it would be good to go through the motions on it.

Pilo
2012-11-20, 04:48 AM
You should read their licences, free access does not mean freely redistributable. Even if it is allowed, you should ask them if they grant you the permission and credit them for what they have done.

danzibr
2012-11-20, 10:18 AM
Just linking should be fine, I'd imagine. I mean, don't rip it and call it your own.

lord pringle
2012-11-20, 12:21 PM
If I'm referring to using homebrew on this site, does that change anything?

Person_Man
2012-11-20, 02:21 PM
It's just common courtesy to ask people. In most cases, homebrewers are happy to let other people use their stuff, as long as you aren't making money off it, and properly attribute their work.

lord pringle
2012-11-20, 02:55 PM
It's just common courtesy to ask people. In most cases, homebrewers are happy to let other people use their stuff, as long as you aren't making money off it, and properly attribute their work.

Okay, thanks.