PDA

View Full Version : Any shapechange forms that grant a 9th level spell equivalent at will?

Hirax
2012-11-20, 03:28 AM
Inquiring minds abusing energy transformation field and absorption would love to know. I know immoveable rods and the like also work, but if shapechange is already persisted, no reason to not speed things up by using a 9th level ability.

Eldariel
2012-11-20, 04:00 AM
Inquiring minds abusing energy transformation field and absorption would love to know. I know immoveable rods and the like also work, but if shapechange is already persisted, no reason to not speed things up by using a 9th level ability.

Well, Nightmare/Cauchemar's Astral Projection is equivalent to a 9th level spell.

Hirax
2012-11-20, 04:04 AM
Perfect. Off to scare jokingly people with TO shenanigans IRL. :smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2012-11-20, 01:57 PM
Does spellcasting count as (Su)? If so, then what you want is a Black Ethergaunt (Fiend Folio). 16 HD, casts spells as a wizard 17. The Enslave (Su), Stupefying Gaze (Su), Immunity to Spells (Su), Material Jaunt (Su), and Total Vision (Ex) aren't too shabby, either.

Urpriest
2012-11-20, 02:08 PM
Shapechange lets you change form as a swift every round, right? If so, if you aren't using your swifts you can refresh your abilities every round by shifting into the same form, so at-will doesn't really matter.

Eldariel
2012-11-20, 02:20 PM
Shapechange lets you change form as a swift every round, right? If so, if you aren't using your swifts you can refresh your abilities every round by shifting into the same form, so at-will doesn't really matter.

Free action, actually. Taken before or after your turn.

TheGeckoKing
2012-11-20, 02:25 PM

If we're doing that, then the Zodar (FF) is probably near-enough a top pick. Hell, would wouldn't like a Supernatural Wish every round (OK, other than the DM)?

Hirax
2012-11-20, 04:20 PM
I was just hoping for less moving parts by using an at will ability. All I was pointing out to the people this was meant for was that you could use the SU ability in the absorption ETF, 5' step into a dominate person ETF (you can still be targeted by things you're immune to, it just won't affect you) and use the SU ability, to keep charging up non-stop. That's 24 spell points per minute, and 12,960 in 9 hours, making ETF charging a drastically superior method to obtaining fresh spells per day than resting for 8 hours and preparing spells.