PDA

View Full Version : New at cleric, what domain.

Olfgar
2012-11-20, 03:58 AM
I was going to be playing a LE or NE cleric of Nerrul and considering working towards lichifying myself if the campaign takes off, and before i even get into coming up with class progression etc, I need to pick a domain.

I was thinking of Death and Trickey, because well...Trickey will let me pick up some decent spells that I dont have access to (even if it is only once per day....) Like Time Stop. Invisibility is nice to, but yes im aware that its easily worked around but at lower levels itd be nice.

And Death...well it gives me the create undead spells and greater one so I dont need to waste preparing them, Wail of The Banshee if for some reaosn I decide against time stop, and couple from IMO (again I have NO experience with divine casting, or very high arcane casting) save or die spells, Slay Living, and Destruction (and again, wail of the banshee). And...Death Touch is ok...i guess...maybe? at lower levels atleast.

The reason i am thinking about not taking Evilis that, well, only semi decent spells, most of which are against good, and we wont be fighting very many good enemies. Hell the onlly 2 non buffs that are worth while are Desecrate, and thats if im going to be summoning lots of undead, and Unholy Blight for the debuff it gives. and event hen I already can prepare all of these spells if I want.

Your thoughts? Also were doing 3.5, but the DM may swap a few things out for the pathfinder version, such as our races (you know, humans getting that chosen +2 stat bonus and what not).

eggs
2012-11-20, 04:13 AM
Trickery is awesome. Good spells, decent skill list expansion - especially for a Cloistered Cleric. It's definitely a locked choice if you go with Nerull.

But Death is terrible. All the spells are already on the Cleric's list and the ability is rubbish. Pestilence is better in most ways (a few passable spells from outside the Cleric's list and an occasionally useful ability), and Evil's CL boost is at least eventually abusable with Blasphemy.

Olfgar
2012-11-20, 10:28 AM
Im assuming by locked choice you mean its a must.

Also, all of evil's spells are on the spell list as well, so the aside from maybe some rare moments where I will have to fight a good character, the only worth while thing is +1CL for evil spells.

Also ive never heard of pestilence...im going to assume its pathfinder or from a splashbook?

Morrolan
2012-11-20, 10:57 AM
If you want to get freaky with animating the dead, try the Deathbound domain. It's power is nice if you want to go minion master style, and avasculate is nice to have at higher level.

Tvtyrant
2012-11-20, 11:05 AM
All of the domains have some use. My favorites out of core are Travel, Magic and Trickery. Animal is mostly useless until you get Shapechange, but seeing as Shapechange is the most broken spell in the game...

Olfgar
2012-11-20, 11:07 AM
Eh, I probably will be having a few pulseless mook running around, but not sure how often.

I know our DM has told us that the campaign may have alot of undead in it, like a large portion of the living population is alot less...lively.

Yes i know "oh you should be a good cleric" but I thought the idea of a cleric of Nerrul who was sent on a mission (along with others from his Order, not talking about the other PC's right here) to wander the land looking for a way to put an end to the undead problem, because Nerull has basically "had enough of this crap of dead things not staying still, because its a mockery of death"

For a slightly comedic addition, Nerrul has been constantly talking to me through my dreams, and my character is even more compelled to see this through so he can finally have a night of peaceful sleep.

Venusaur
2012-11-20, 12:20 PM
If the campaign is so undead heavy, consider the Undeath domain from the Spell Compendium. It gives you extra turning as a bonus feat, and a bunch of undead related spells.

eggs
2012-11-20, 01:31 PM
Also, all of evil's spells are on the spell list as well, so the aside from maybe some rare moments where I will have to fight a good character, the only worth while thing is +1CL for evil spells.Yeah, Evil's also pretty bad, but Death's ability is almost never more useful than just whacking someone with a club, so Evil's ability usually comes out a bit more useful (a d6 here, a nastier Blasphemy there, maybe slightly less likely to run into SR). Its spell list is also filled with more reliably useful spells that, unlike Death, aren't completely negated with a Polymorph, Death Ward or Veil of Undeath effect.

Pestilence is from Complete Divine and Spell Compendium, and I think is a pretty solid call for the second-best domain available to Clerics of Nerull.

You might want to check out the Cleric Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1238.0) for general reference on this.

Olfgar
2012-11-20, 11:19 PM
Well after looking through that link, im thinking ill be going cleric as a minionmancer(necromacer, duh lol).

I how ever cant decide if im going to stay alive or become a lich or vampire.

Vampire would be nice because of the ability to be make minions, who make minions who can make minions, etc.

And lich, is well...Divine Xykon would be all sorts of fun lol. What do you guys think between the 2?

Silentone98
2012-11-21, 02:15 AM
I like Time and Strength best... time for its uses, strength for its flavor

Leon
2012-11-21, 02:22 AM

"oh you should be a good cleric"

Good Clerics are overated, Evil often lets you swing more freely on choices

Olfgar
2012-11-21, 08:20 AM
Exactly!, If youve ever played Overlord / Overlord 2, then youll know this "Evil, ALWAYS finds a way..."