PDA

View Full Version : Another attention grapping stunt from PETA.

Malak'ai
2012-11-20, 07:21 AM
I was just reading the news when I saw this (http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/15420710/sir-peter-hits-back-at-hobbit-animal-claim/).
PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals for those who don't know) has made major claims of mistreatment and abuse of animals on the set of the Hobbit.
While, if true, the allegations are serious, they are a bit far fetched.
I personally know one of the horse handlers working on the film and I can tell you he'd beat to death ANYONE who intentionally hurt one of his animals, and he has expressed that every other wrangler/handler feels the same.

So Playground... Do we believe it?

Traab
2012-11-20, 07:30 AM
Not a single word of it. This was clearly a publicity stunt by peta. Even the spca pointed out the fact that if this was true, it means that peta sat on this info for months and waited till now, close to the grand premire, to say anything. They never reported their claims to groups that have the authority to do something, they have no real evidence to back them up, and they waited till now so the plan to stage protests wont have time to lose public interest by taking several months to happen. Publicity all the way.

Malak'ai
2012-11-20, 07:33 AM
The "evidence" they have apparently came from an animal handler that was let go over a year ago due to not doing his job to the standards that the Producers and the Film Company put in place (that was before the person I know started working on the film so he can't say anything about that).

Traab
2012-11-20, 07:37 AM
The "evidence" they have apparently came from an animal handler that was let go over a year ago due to not doing his job to the standards that the Producers and the Film Company put in place (that was before the person I know started working on the film so he can't say anything about that).

Thats exactly it. They have unsubstantiated claims made by someone who was fired a year ago. In other words, they have nothing. No evidence, no reliable testimony, just random claims from random people that start off with dubious credibility by being disgruntled ex employees.

The Succubus
2012-11-20, 07:39 AM
PETA, PETA, PETA...*shakes head sadly*

You're slowing down in your old age. No-one believes for a second your accounts of animal mistreatment onset but if you'd have taken this opportunity to decry thirteen beardy, axe-wielding hunters attacking a poor defenceless reptile, you'd have had lots more coverage and interest.

C- for effort, see me after class.

Asta Kask
2012-11-20, 08:33 AM
PETA, PETA, PETA...*shakes head sadly*

You're slowing down in your old age. No-one believes for a second your accounts of animal mistreatment onset but if you'd have taken this opportunity to decry thirteen beardy, axe-wielding hunters attacking a poor defenceless reptile, you'd have had lots more coverage and interest.

C- for effort, see me after class.

Defenceless? I? I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG! My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears! The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

KuReshtin
2012-11-20, 10:52 AM
And my breath, death!

Maybe try some mouthwash to sort that out? :smallwink:

Asta Kask
2012-11-20, 10:59 AM
Now, if they had talked about the spiders they would have a point.

Traab
2012-11-20, 01:08 PM
Now, if they had talked about the spiders they would have a point.

Those things were just a bunch of lazy lobs and crazy cobs, dumb bunch of tomnoddies dont really count.

Zorg
2012-11-20, 01:12 PM
I notice they say nothing about Jackson's thousand years of torture to turn hundreds of elvish extras in to the orcs and goblins required for filming, most of whom were slain during production. Typical valar-media bias.

I hate sharing a name with these idiots.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-11-20, 01:19 PM
Those things were just a bunch of lazy lobs and crazy cobs, dumb bunch of tomnoddies dont really count.
Great. Now we move from spider cruelty to racial slurs.

:smalltongue:

Thajocoth
2012-11-20, 01:59 PM
Hold up... The last three things they attacked were Pokémon, Super Mario Bros & The Hobbit? Sounds to me like they're becoming more of an anti-geek group than a environmentalist group. Surely Star Trek must be on their list somewhere...

Maybe something like "The red dye used to make the red shirts would actually be poisonous to most animals & the depictions of them getting eaten are simply cruel to those creatures."

Traab
2012-11-20, 02:22 PM
Hold up... The last three things they attacked were Pokémon, Super Mario Bros & The Hobbit? Sounds to me like they're becoming more of an anti-geek group than a environmentalist group. Surely Star Trek must be on their list somewhere...

Maybe something like "The red dye used to make the red shirts would actually be poisonous to most animals & the depictions of them getting eaten are simply cruel to those creatures."

Tribbles went through mass slaughter in the one episode.

Pyromancer999
2012-11-20, 05:52 PM
Tribbles went through mass slaughter in the one episode.

.......No! Don't give them any more ideas! Please!:smalleek:

:smalltongue:

Honestly, though, I think PETA has run its course. That's not to say that I don't think that animals should be humanely treated, but rather that I think it's pretty much done all that it's going to do. It's stuff like this that makes it less and less effective, and it really doesn't do much nowadays as it is.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-20, 06:02 PM
Hey, maybe if they keep up this geek hate we can get the US government to declare them a hate group and force them to disband?

Here's hoping.

On the topic at hand, I wouldn't believe a statement by PETA if it was "the sky is blue at noon" just because it was PETA saying it.

If they want to be taken seriously......... nevermind, they've done too much damage to their credibility to have any chance of salvaging it.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-20, 06:49 PM
You know what, up until now, I found PETA's stupid protest somewhat amusing: Super Mario, Pokemon. They were VERY dumb and over the top, but there was an amusing side to it.

But this, attacking the prequels to one of my favorite film series with no proof and several counter arguments/examples: people in charge of PETA, please grow up and stop wasting our time.

The Succubus
2012-11-20, 06:57 PM
Hey, maybe if they keep up this geek hate we can get the US government to declare them a hate group and force them to disband?

Here's hoping.

On the topic at hand, I wouldn't believe a statement by PETA if it was "the sky is blue at noon" just because it was PETA saying it.

If they want to be taken seriously......... nevermind, they've done too much damage to their credibility to have any chance of salvaging it.

If you stop looking at PETA as being an animal rights organisation, a task they eminently fail at, and look at them in a different light, they become vastly more interesting:

Professional
Effective
Trolling
Association.

/nods sagely

Dr.Epic
2012-11-20, 07:09 PM
If you stop looking at PETA as being an animal rights organisation, a task they eminently fail at, and look at them in a different light, they become vastly more interesting:

Professional
Effective
Trolling
Association.

/nods sagely

PETA: the worst thing to happen to geekdom since George Lucas decided to make the Star Wars Prequels.

Someone make that an inspiration poster NOW!

Traab
2012-11-20, 07:10 PM

Professional
Effective
Trolling
Association.

/nods sagely

Propaganda
Excreting
Truth free
Association.

Anxe
2012-11-20, 08:55 PM
So what do you think their protest at the premiere will be?

Malak'ai
2012-11-20, 09:01 PM
[Insert your dieties name here] knows... But if it's anything like the premier of any of the LoTRs movies there will be police from all over the lower North Island (and some from the upper South Island) as well as over a dozen different private security companies (including those provided by the studio for their execs and the major actors), so they'll be lucky if they get anywhere near the red carpet.
THEN you have all the spectators there because they actually want to be there for the experience or because they love the series... They wont take to lightly to anyone trying to ruin their time.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-20, 10:20 PM
Propaganda
Excreting
Truth free
Association.

That's be PETFA.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-20, 10:32 PM

Professional
Effective
Trolling
Association.

/nods sagely

Oh..... my....... gods........

You've cracked the code succubus! This explains everything those asshats have done for as long as I can remember.

I hope they don't send a hit-squad after you :smallfrown: :smalltongue:

Traab
2012-11-20, 10:39 PM
That's be PETFA.

I considered Truthless, but thats not a word.

Wyntonian
2012-11-20, 10:49 PM
I hope they don't send a hit-squad after you :smallfrown: :smalltongue:

If they do, pretend to be a cute puppy. Nobody could kill a lil' cute puppy.

Oh wait... (http://www.peta.org/about/why-peta/euthanasia.aspx)

Pyromancer999
2012-11-20, 11:13 PM
I considered Truthless, but thats not a word.

Someone disagrees with you (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/truthless).

Should work fine.

Saskia
2012-11-20, 11:20 PM
PETA is in the public eye for doing something other than getting pretty girls and Kristin Stewart to take their clothes off? Oh, and it's for PETA being PETA and having poor standards for what constitutes logic and for generally being crazy.

Not a good look, PETA. Not a good look. Anyone that says my dog ought not exist is no friend of mine anyway.

razorback
2012-11-21, 08:53 AM
other than getting pretty girls and Kristin Stewart to take their clothes off?
I like the differentiation.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kXUPy-dCx4)
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsUSDMclWQg&feature=relmfu)
And, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzQgfWYwTzg)
A little old, buy hey.

Malak'ai
2012-11-21, 10:55 AM
I like the differentiation.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kXUPy-dCx4)
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsUSDMclWQg&feature=relmfu)
And, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzQgfWYwTzg)
A little old, buy hey.

You sir deserve a cookie! :smallbiggrin:.

GolemsVoice
2012-11-21, 11:18 AM
I notice they say nothing about Jackson's thousand years of torture to turn hundreds of elvish extras in to the orcs and goblins required for filming, most of whom were slain during production. Typical valar-media bias.

I hate sharing a name with these idiots.

Bah! Who cares about human(oid)s? Think of the ANIMALS! THE ANIMALS!

By the way, we have it on good authority that the suffering of the Elves was consensual and actually not suffering at all, as the strong Elven lobby might have you believe. Just because Orcs don't have fair skin and blonde hair, and as such don't fit into the typical Elven-centric viewpoint expected in today's sanitized media, doesn't mean we're not people! And we certainly didn't have to be tortured to become Orcs! Respect choice!

Eldan
2012-11-21, 11:37 AM
Don't listen to that guy disguised as an Oktoberfest girl. Orks are disgusting and should be put down like the abomination against nature they are. Being an ork is a choice, and choosig it is wrong. Manwe hates orks.

The Succubus
2012-11-21, 11:47 AM
Bah! Who cares about human(oid)s? Think of the ANIMALS! THE ANIMALS!

By the way, we have it on good authority that the suffering of the Elves was consensual and actually not suffering at all, as the strong Elven lobby might have you believe. Just because Orcs don't have fair skin and blonde hair, and as such don't fit into the typical Elven-centric viewpoint expected in today's sanitized media, doesn't mean we're not people! And we certainly didn't have to be tortured to become Orcs! Respect choice!

So what you're saying is that Orcs are actually S&M elves? :smalltongue:

GolemsVoice
2012-11-21, 11:50 AM
"We are proud! We are Orcs! We don't want your pitch-forcs! Orcs and Goblins all unite, we are here and we will fight!"

EDIT:

So what you're saying is that Orcs are actually S&M elves?

S&M often has a negative connotation, and by labeling the Orcs in such a way (not that you said they're S&M Elves, thus reducing an entire species to a mere subset of Elves, who have killed and hunted our kind for years) you force them into a corner where you can heap shame and blame on them. Instead, Orcs see themselves as lifestyle-conscious and favour an environment that promotes competition and striving for leadership, also known as "being the best you can be". The Orcs have long observed that all these traits have gained a very negative image in the eyes of those close-minded enough to discard any lifestyle that hasn't been approved by their so called "thousands of years of history" as "wrong" or "deviant".

North_Ranger
2012-11-21, 06:24 PM
I would like to express the full and total sense of loathing I feel for PETA... but I am afraid that would not only break the forum rules but set anyone reading such a tirade on fire.

Let's just say that PETA can go cluck themselves.

Traab
2012-11-21, 07:18 PM
Had they stuck with the animal cruelty videos, and concentrated on getting the inhumane slaughterhouses, or torturous animal training stopped, they likely would have done a better job and had a stronger impact on the world than they do now. First of all, they went too crazy too fast. Second of all, they decided to go from the starting line to the finish line without handling any of the hurdles along the way. Massive culture change takes TIME. You cant just start at the finish line, you have to take baby steps and work your way up to it.

Take gay rights as the most apt example I can think of. They didnt concentrate day 1 insisting on gay marriage, first it was simple things like your SO being allowed into your hospital room on family visiting hours. Then it was them being covered as family on insurance, there were incremental changes that slowly increased the rights of gay couples. By not overreaching at any one point, by taking small improvements, the flow was far smoother than it would have been if they skipped all that and had tried to go straight for the gold medal. Its the same for animal rights. I dont think there is a single decent human being out there that could look at some of those videos and NOT support reform on how the animals are killed or trained. Once they get the laws locked down, and manage to get all the major violators shut down, then move onto the next stage, then the next, then the next. Eventually they might have been able to medical research, and animal rights, and some of their other more middle level demands. But instead they went for everything all at once, and going from animals = dinner to animals = humans with no intermediate steps, its just never going to work like that.

GolemsVoice
2012-11-21, 07:46 PM
Had they stuck with the animal cruelty videos, and concentrated on getting the inhumane slaughterhouses, or torturous animal training stopped, they likely would have done a better job and had a stronger impact on the world than they do now. First of all, they went too crazy too fast. Second of all, they decided to go from the starting line to the finish line without handling any of the hurdles along the way. Massive culture change takes TIME. You cant just start at the finish line, you have to take baby steps and work your way up to it.

There's also the problem that they're radicals. There's no middle ground. As you said, fighting against animal abuse in circusses and farms is a great thing. But you either agree with PETA, totally and unconditionally, or you're the enemy. And if you agree with PETA, you're in for one hell of a ride.

Traab
2012-11-21, 08:01 PM
There's also the problem that they're radicals. There's no middle ground. As you said, fighting against animal abuse in circusses and farms is a great thing. But you either agree with PETA, totally and unconditionally, or you're the enemy. And if you agree with PETA, you're in for one hell of a ride.

Heh, which comes under the too crazy too fast thing.

Blightedmarsh
2012-11-22, 12:25 AM
And the tragedy of it is there is still a lot of animal cruelty in the world; and this, this is what they choose to waste their time, money and (admittedly nonexistent) credibility on?

Seriously they should disband and make way for people who actually care more about real animals than publicity, unsubstantiated rumors or crazed troll logic "principles".

Astral Avenger
2012-11-22, 01:13 AM
hm... anyone else tempted to start Animal Protection Front, a group that:

protects domestic animals incapable of surviving on their own from terrorist groups that would make it mandatory to release and cease feeding them
firebombs opposition (note to any goverment agents, this is purely hypothetical, I strictly avoid all activities that constitute felonies.)
claims tax exempt status

new slogan:
Protecting your pets from PETA since 2012.

Zrak
2012-11-22, 01:46 AM

A bit late, but Star Trek's shirts could lead to one of the more reasonable PETA complaints, seeing as some red dye (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal#Dye) isn't vegan.

Giggling Ghast
2012-11-22, 01:50 AM
Attention-grapping? :smallconfused:

enderlord99
2012-11-22, 02:00 AM
Attention-grapping? :smallconfused:

I dunno.

Why don't you go get PETA's leaders as if they said your name and... do whatever it is you do to people.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-22, 02:02 AM
So, I forget, has PETA already started protesting Spider-Man and Batman or has that yet to happen?

The Succubus
2012-11-22, 07:03 AM
PETA members don't protest about Batman being cruel to bats for the same reason they chuck red paint over fur-wearing super models instead of leather-wearing Hells Angels.

Adlan
2012-11-22, 07:33 AM

Not to mention the links to terrorist organisations like the ALF. PETA aren't for animal welfare, they are for animal rights, and that's a very different matter.

For PETA, there is no concept of 'humane' treatment of an animal like a stage horse, they see it as Slavery, so I'm not surprised they are trumpeting this now.

Blast them, they aren't worth listening too. There are too many good organisations doing real care, rehoming and looking after animals across the world. The RSPCA in the UK for example.

Zrak
2012-11-22, 03:37 PM
PETA members don't protest about Batman being cruel to bats for the same reason they chuck red paint over fur-wearing super models instead of leather-wearing Hells Angels.

Batman doesn't skin bats alive, often when they're still children?

Malak'ai
2012-11-22, 04:28 PM

Because no one wants to see the leather-wearing Hells Angels naked? :smalltongue:

Zrak
2012-11-22, 04:50 PM
Lots of people wanna see Batman naked. Christian Bale, George Clooney, c'mon.

Traab
2012-11-22, 08:40 PM
Lots of people wanna see Batman naked. Christian Bale, George Clooney, c'mon.

Mmm, christian bale and george clooney. Oh, sorry, just went to may yaoi zone for a second there.

GolemsVoice
2012-11-23, 12:50 AM
Maybe even PETA realizes that Batman is awesome and needed?

Zrak
2012-11-23, 02:02 AM
Much like the Hell's Angels? :smalltongue:

Eldan
2012-11-23, 06:40 AM
Much like the Hell's Angels? :smalltongue:

That's threatening to go into forbidden topics, but no, no they aren't.