PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 +PF] Combo characters, need suggestions

Karoht
2012-11-20, 01:30 PM
My fiance might actually play with me in an upcoming campaign. Possibly months from now.
We were discussing ideas, and the suggestion came up that I play a character who lives in her backpack while she plays something big and tough and melee involved. Here's what sort of kind of developed.

Uurk and Sal'Tiin
Sal'Tiin is a Female Lizardfolk Barbarian. Looks like a walking talking saltwater croc.
Uurk is a legless Kobold (Oracle with the Lame Curse, or Bard who had a run of bad luck, currently leaning towards Bard) who lives in Sal'Tiin's backpack.

The idea is we want to be as synergystic as possible. We also have hints that we might have backup in the form of a necromantic army. Sal'Tiin is looking as though she will focus on Overrun/Bullrush tactics, along with the standard Pounce and kill tactics, and a smattering of Intimidate based feats. I'm planning on running a Bard so I can back her up with buffs, a bit of blasting from Weird Words, and some fear based effects to synergize with her Intimidating everyone.

Suggestions? Concerns? Random crazy ideas? Hit me.

doko239
2012-11-20, 05:45 PM
What level are you looking at?

Acanous
2012-11-20, 11:32 PM
We're not sure who the DM will be, but traditionally starting level is 1-3 and the campaigns usually go till about 15.

avr
2012-11-21, 04:00 AM
An oracle with the Juju mystery could work well with undead allies while using various mind-affecting spells (cause fear at 1st level, hideous laughter at 4th, fear once you reach 6th level) to hinder your enemies. The bard synergises better with the barbarian, but not at all with undead.

Norin
2012-11-21, 08:09 AM
That is a damn funny concept, kudos. The mental image of this is quite amusing.

If i was Uurk i would really want to be able to use spells like Levitate and Fly. :smallbiggrin:

Karoht
2012-11-21, 10:52 AM
Our theory to synergize with the Undead 'backup' so far is to basically create attacks of opportunity or weakened opponents for them. Either Intimidate/Fear to make them run in terror, or Overrun to knock enemies prone so the undead can take advantage of that. Hopefully we will see reach weapons or undead with reach or both. Anything that we can't knock down or scare, we make it die the old fashioned way. Blasty damage and Barbarian Rage Stabby Slashy Smashy damage. With the Barbarian being buffed into the stratosphere.

Sadly, as I just discovered the other day, Undead are immune to morale effects meaning they don't benefit from Bardic Music. Unless I take a feat, I think. So I doubt I can buff the Undead at all. I'm reasonably sure I can hurt them though, again with a feat, not that it helps.

Oh, if ever there arises a situation where it's undead army VS undead army, we just get out of the way and let the necromancers have it out, and go kill something else.

The only concerns I have so far, are the vulnerabilities of Uurk being on Sal'Tiin's back. I'm honestly not sure how the DM will rule for our movement and the like (Sal'Tiin walks through a bunch of bad guys, do we BOTH provoke, does she provoke, how about during an Overrun, etc). Would it be beneficial for me to take something like Ride?
Thoughts?

doko239
2012-11-21, 01:04 PM
For something like this, Teamwork feats could give you a lot of mileage, since they mostly key off of being adjacent to each other, which you always are.

I'm a big fan of the Holy Tactician Paladin archetype myself, as it allows you to buff your allies with extra teamwork feats, unlimited times per day, for unlimited duration, using a standard action. I don't know how they'll work given the situation, but if your GM allows it then it can lead to some funny/interesting situations:

- Swap Places: OK, now YOU get in the bag and I'LL carry it!

- Escape Route: Technically, every square you move into would be adjacent to your ally, so you'd NEVER provoke an AOO :smallcool:

- Feint Partner: Kobold pops out and stabs, enemy jumps, big barbarian makes it go CRUNCH.

- Seize the Moment: could be very useful with high-crit-range weapons

- Shake it Off: would be exceptionally powerful given your undead horde. +4 to all saves for basically everyone within 30 feet? Yeah, seems pretty good.

- Lookout: lets you basically share Perception rolls for purposes of the Surprise round, and if you both make your Perception rolls anyway, you get a full-round action in the surprise round. VERY nice.

To top all this off, you can claim that your Kobold Paladin's special paladin mount is the Barbarian :smallbiggrin:

Karoht
2012-11-21, 01:07 PM
Lookout and Shake It Off seem like winners. Awesome suggestions.
Kobold Paladin? Yeah, not really what I was going for, but I'll consider it.

doko239
2012-11-21, 01:11 PM
Lookout and Shake It Off seem like winners. Awesome suggestions.
Kobold Paladin? Yeah, not really what I was going for, but I'll consider it.

It's worth going into for at least 3 levels to get Battlefield Presence. Even if you fluff it another way, that ability is really the only thing that will make those feats work.

Norin
2012-11-21, 01:46 PM
How about going Dread Necromancer on the poor legless kobold?

Karoht
2012-11-21, 04:21 PM
How about going Dread Necromancer on the poor legless kobold?
The Cleric Necromancer player might already do so.
While cool and all, I'll leave it to him, as he expressed interest in giving the old undead army schtick a try. I'm actually trying to synergize with that guy as well, and not step on his toes. But I will look into it anyway.

doko239
2012-11-21, 04:36 PM
Hmm, if you're going buddy-buddy with a Necromancer, Paladin is right out, which makes the teamwork feats much less desirable, as everyone will have to take them.

Maybe suggest Shake it Off to the Necro as something to give his Undead (I don't know if created undead get feats or not, if so that'll make them VERY hard to deal with effectively)