PDA

View Full Version : Help create candy golems!

Ganorenas
2012-11-20, 02:16 PM
Background-
One of my players loves candy, sweet things, adorable things, etc.
So, I wanted to do something unique for them that wouldn't assist much in combat, but would be fun for role play and character stand point...

The setting is a Large flying city based around magic, my players suggest a place like Dalaran would be an amazing city scape, and I jumped at the idea to build such a wondrous place- anyway, I like giving my players side quests between games or during games if they are not very into the main quest, and while writing up side quest ideas I thought this player might enjoy a candy themed quest, here is what I have:

Several Enchanters and Evokers have teamed up in an experiment to create unique and delicious candies for sale to the populace, but are having trouble finding citizens willing to taste test or otherwise assist (the wizards in question can be unintentionally dangerous, I'll think up some previous experiments of theirs later, and name them...)
But, they make some candies that have odd effects, with emotional changes from enchantment spells and flavored with evocation spells
(a little tastier than "acid balls, the newest form of jawbreaker, it will melt your mouth!" Maybe some special rider effects... Or should I scrap evokers and use illusionists? That would open a lot more to candy side effects

But, after helping the wizards and having some interesting but not life threatening silliness happen to the character, a by product of all the magic would be a candy golem... Or several. I'm thinking 1-3HD and small sized, with special abilities based on the type of candy, random thoughts:

Gum balls: would have a marbles esc trip ability, spray gum balls all over and make reflex saves or fall prone
Chocolate: could ooze melted chocolate, creating a grease like effect
Laffy-taffy: would have DR to slash/pierce, and grapple themed abilities
Etc, ideas are very welcome =)

Any thoughts or assistance would be wonderful, I have several weeks to put things together

The player in question plans to be a scout or rogue or ranger, probably with a way to cast a few spells. They stated they would enjoy making a sneaky skill monkey instead of their usual cleric or shaman routine, and I know that they love being a minionmancer, and would probably welcome ways to slow down pursuit

dungeonnerd
2012-11-20, 02:24 PM
How about the Rock Candy Golem? (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2me86?Rock-Candy-Golem)

Granted, its a bit higher level than you asked for, but.... scaling and templates?

Vaern
2012-11-20, 04:24 PM
That rock candy golem needs a new ability for its pure sugar form. As a construct, it has critical/sneak attack immunity inherently. Maybe increase its damage reduction a bit more, rather than stacking redundant defenses.

Tantaburs
2012-11-20, 10:31 PM
Taffy Ooze:

Small(Medium?) Ooze
2d10+21(33hp)
Initiative -5
Speed 10ft
AC 6 (+1 Size - 5 Dex)
BAB +2 Grapple +6
Attack Slam 1d3 + Attach
Full Attack 2 slams 1d3+Attach
Space/Reach 5/5
Special Attacks: Attach, Engulf, Adhesive, Ensnaring Throw
Special Qualities: Blindsight 40ft, Ooze Traits
Saves: Fort +8, Reflex -4 Will-4
Abilities Str 10, Dex 1, Con 24, Int —, Wis 1, Cha 1
Feats: Improved Grapple

Special attacks:
Attach: When the Taffy Ooze hits with its slam it attaches its tentacle to its target. A tentacle that is attached may not attack. If it begins the round with both tentacles attached it may engulf.

Engulf: When the Taffly Ooze begins the round with both tentacles attached it may engulf. The target must suceed on a DC10 strength check or be engulfed. Small or smaller opponents are completly engulfed in the ooze. Medium creatures are rooted in place. Large creatures cannot be engulfed

Adhesive: Weapons that strike the taffy ooze are stuck to it unless the weilder makes a DC 10 reflex save. the weapon may be oull off with a DC10 strength check

Ensnaring Throw: The Taffy Ooze may throw a portion of itself at it's opponent within 20ft to root it in place. The Taffy Ooze deals 1d3 damage to itself everytime it uses its ability.

Ganorenas
2012-11-21, 04:08 AM
I love the rock candy golem, I could definitely use it of I choose for this to go to the whole party instead on a single member...

Ty for the quick answer on the taffy golem, it is great and will be used =)
Very smart with engulf and throwing parts of itself to snare foes, fits perfectly with what I hope for with these golems =)

Any other suggestions? I get off of work around 7am here, and will post a golem or 2 for feedback, and would love more ideas! =)

Togath
2012-11-21, 06:49 AM
That rock candy golem needs a new ability for its pure sugar form. As a construct, it has critical/sneak attack immunity inherently. Maybe increase its damage reduction a bit more, rather than stacking redundant defenses.

A new ability if used for 3.5, but it was originally written for pf, where golems can be critted. Mostly posting this since I've seen a few people who miss the pf alteration for constructs, since it's a relatively subtle one.

Tylorious
2012-11-21, 07:22 AM
War Head Golem:

Small Sour
2d8+21
Initiative -5
Speed 10ft
AC 6 (+1 Size - 5 Dex)
BAB +2 Grapple +6
Attack Slam 1d3
Full Attack 2 slams 1d3
Space/Reach 5/5
Special Attacks: n/a
Special Qualities: Weakness to Water
Saves: Fort +8, Reflex -4 Will-4
Abilities Str 10, Dex 1, Con 24, Int —, Wis 1, Cha 1
Feats: Deflect Arrows

Weakness to Water:
Whenever the war head golem is up to its knees or deeper in water, it takes 1d3 damage/round. (due to melting)

DigoDragon
2012-11-21, 07:41 AM
My players found the remains of a "vending machine" in an ancient ruin which still had product in it (Preservatives make these candies last forever). :smallwink:

One of the items they got from it was a sugary energy drink called "BOOMSKI!!"
It was a potion you drink that gives you 4 rounds of Haste, followed by 2 rounds of Slow (for the sugar crash). It was a fun item since it wasn't a magic effect (and therefore not subject to Dispel or anti-magic zones, but still didn't stack with magic Haste) and the players had to time it so that the combat ended before the slow effect kicked in.

Another energy drink they got was "Crimson Taurus" that gave you 2d4 rounds of Fly. No ill-after effects except that once the Fly ability ends and you're in the air, you drop like a rock instead of feather-falling down. Like Timestop, you're not sure how long it lasts, but taking chances is a fun part of the game. :smallbiggrin:

Dissonance
2012-11-21, 09:36 AM
Some things that I thought of.
-Sweet tarts golem. A more brittle cousin to the rock candy golem, but forces anyone within 5 feet of him to make reflex saves vs blindness every time it is hit.

-powder golem. (think pixie stick) You could try and make an air elemental sorta out of this :smallbiggrin:

-expanding upon the chocolate golem, You could build his skeleton out of pretzels to make it more sturdy.

-Cinna golem. Big Red golem. I would base the template off the fire giant (because I'm lazy and don't want to actually make it)

-Gummi Golem. sort of like the taffy golem but more focused on bashing than grappling. Bonus points if you cover it in large amounts of crystal sugar and justify that as armor. :smallcool:

Tvtyrant
2012-11-21, 12:35 PM
My players found the remains of a "vending machine" in an ancient ruin which still had product in it (Preservatives make these candies last forever). :smallwink:

One of the items they got from it was a sugary energy drink called "BOOMSKI!!"
It was a potion you drink that gives you 4 rounds of Haste, followed by 2 rounds of Slow (for the sugar crash). It was a fun item since it wasn't a magic effect (and therefore not subject to Dispel or anti-magic zones, but still didn't stack with magic Haste) and the players had to time it so that the combat ended before the slow effect kicked in.

Another energy drink they got was "Crimson Taurus" that gave you 2d4 rounds of Fly. No ill-after effects except that once the Fly ability ends and you're in the air, you drop like a rock instead of feather-falling down. Like Timestop, you're not sure how long it lasts, but taking chances is a fun part of the game. :smallbiggrin:
...And now all of my campaigns have to have vending machines...

Studoku
2012-11-21, 01:15 PM
No mention of Rich's Gingerbread Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10546572&postcount=18)?

doko239
2012-11-21, 01:30 PM
How about a Gummi-Bear Golem? Immunity to bludgeoning and piercing damage, but increased damage from Slashing weapons (who hasn't decapitated a Gummi Bear at some point or another? :smallbiggrin:)

limejuicepowder
2012-11-21, 03:56 PM
The Wretched

It's creation lost to history, the most terrifying of candy golems is thought to have been made by accident - or perhaps by some diabolical wizard gone mad. Making a mockery of all that is sugar and spice, this automaton known only as The Wretched is the nightmare of 8 year old's everywhere.

Large Candy (black licorice, good and plenty, mary jane, necco wafer)
Hit Dice: 20d10+30 (140 hit points)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft
Armor Class: 33 (-1 size, +2 dex, +22 natural), touch 11, flat 28
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+35
Attack: slam +26 melee (2d10+12) or tentacle +26 (1d10+6+grab)
Full Attack: 2 slams +26 melee (2d10+12) and 4 tentacles +26 (1d10+6+grab)
Space/Reach: 10ft/10ft (tentacle 30 ft)
Special Attacks: try me, improved grab, tentacle
Special Qualities: construct traits, DR 20/-, darkvision 60ft, immunity to magic, low-light vision, regeneration 25, sticky, amorphous body, all-round vision, smother, water weakness
Saves: fort ref will
Abilities: str 34, dex 14, con -, int -, wis 10, cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: non-aquatic
CR: 15
Treasure: none
Alignment: always neutral

Standing nearly 12 feet tall and weighing nearly 8000 pounds, the Wretched is a glistening black blob-like entity with crude legs and arms and a vague notion of a head. Dotted with brightly colored pink and white dots and showing oozing brown teeth, it roars it's displeasure and rumbles forward.

Amorphous Body: due to it's jelly-like construction, the Wretched can change it's shape at will. It lacks the intelligence to form complex shapes, and it always assumes a humanoid figure when it combat. However, its flowing shape allows it to look in every direction at once, making it immune to flanking. It can also flow through small openings that its normal size would prevent it from doing (as a full-round action, the Wretched can move 5 ft through any space that is at least 12 inches in its smallest diameter).
Unlike a normal creature, the Wretched is not hindered by a grapple and may continue to attack and move as if it wasn't grappled. It may also grapple up to 1 huge creature, 2 large creatures, 4 medium creatures, 8 small creatures (etc.) at the same time. Treat each size as one half of the size above it (thus 1 large and 2 medium creatures can be grappled at once). Resolve each grapple separately.

Sticky: Anything smaller than the Wretched that touches the vile creature, including weapons used for an attack, is stuck to the body. It takes a successful grapple attempt against the Wretched to pull anything free. This ability also gives the Wretched a +8 bonus on grapple checks. Items stuck on the Wretched get pulled in to the body after 2 rounds, never to be seen again.
As a free action on each of its turns, the Wretched may make a grapple attempt against each of the creatures that it is grappling. Anyone who fails this roll is sucked in to the body (see below).
If the creature is struck by a natural weapon or melee touch attack by a creature of huge size or smaller, they are automatically grappled after the attack resolves.

Smother: any creature that is pulled in to the body of the Wretched must immediately make a fort save (DC 25) or die. At the beginning of each of their turns, they must make a new save, but at a cumulative +3 DC. To escape the inner body, the character must make a successful grapple check (this moves them back to the outside of the creature, but they are still grappled). Escaping to the outside of the body also resets the DC for its smother should they be pulled back in. Treat any creature that is in the Wretched's body against the total number of creatures it can grapple at once. Any creature that dies from Smother is instantly destroyed and absorbed in to the Wretched, and no longer counts against the total number if can grapple.

Tentacle: the Wretched can form lashing tentacles to sprout from anywhere on its body. It can strike with up to 4 tentacles in a single round. If the Wretched successfully begins a grapple with its improved grab attack from a tentacle, it instantly pulls the grabbed creature against its body.

Try Me: despite its horrible appearance, even (otherwise) intelligent creatures can be tempted to try the Wretched "just one more time," under the influence of thinking maybe they'll like it this time. As a standard action, all creatures within 100 ft must make a will save (DC 25) or be compelled to spend their next turn moving up to the creature and attempting to take a bite (treat as automatically grappled). This is a mind-affecting ability.

Regeneration: nothing does normal damage to a Wretched

Water Weakness: if the Wretched is submersed in water so at least half of its body is covered, its magic immunity, regeneration, and sticky abilities are all suppressed (any creatures currently grappled slide off). Any creatures who are in the creature remain so, but if they make a grapple to get back to the surface they will also free the grapple. When in water the Wretched will spend all of its actions trying to get out, even if attacked.

Ganorenas
2012-11-21, 07:41 PM
Chocolate Golem (unmelted, no pretzel)
Small Construct
Hit die 3d10+10 (31hp)
Initiative -1
Speed 30ft
Armor class 11 (-1dex +1size +1natural)
Bab/grapple +0/-4
Attack +2 slam 1d4+1
Full attack +2 slam 1d4+1
Space/reach 5ft/5ft
Special: Melt, Hardening slam
Fort +0 Reflex -1 Will -4
Str12 Dex8 Con-- Int-- Wis1 Cha1
Skills --
Feats --
Environment: Any (Magical Candy Factory)
Organization Solitary or Batch (2-12)
CR 1

Melt: When chocolate golems are exposed to 10 or more points of fire damage, the chocolate golem becomes amorphous, and loses 1hp for every 10ft of movement due to loss of body mass, and gains the hardening slam ability.

Hardening slam: Enemies struck by a melted chocolate golem must succeed a dc11 reflex save or become entangled by chocolate, foes that fail their reflex may, as a move action, remove the chocolate.

If given pretzel bones, increase natural armor by 3, and gain DR5/bludgeoning?

So, sorry I didn't post around 7, I was pretty tired =)

Used small sized animated object as the base idea, tried to think of something my players would do to it (it seems I will have 2 blaster kobold sorcerers, one from a new player and one from a player that plans to be a less powerful mailman)

I'll post a tiny or small sized gummy bear next I think.

I am going read through the posts again before I reply or edit again, I recal seeing several good ideas on what to give them based on material, another golem that I can't for the life of me remember the name of, and a larger candy construct that could be used if the entire party decides to visit the factory, another player looked and said he wanted to do this side quest also

You have all been very helpful so far =) I will definitely be using the
Laffy-taffy ooze
Gingerbread man
Warhead golem (edited in after I looked back through)
Rock candy golem (if party visits)
The wretch (if party visits)

Vaern
2012-11-22, 12:34 AM
A new ability if used for 3.5, but it was originally written for pf, where golems can be critted. Mostly posting this since I've seen a few people who miss the pf alteration for constructs, since it's a relatively subtle one.

Ah. I've never played Pathfinder. I have a feeling it's full of little differences like that which would throw me off at every turn, despite being based off of the same system as 3.5 :P

Ganorenas
2012-11-24, 09:20 PM
Alright, thank you guys for the help and ideas, everything is set now! =)