PDA

View Full Version : Weapons from Arms & Armor (Bastion Press) and Arcana Evolved

Clistenes
2012-11-20, 04:48 PM
Those are third party books than offer some optional weapons, armor and equipment. Some are really overpowered (like everything crystalline or crystal-bound), but some other seem OK.

For example:

Maul from Sword & Sorcery - Monte_Cook's - Arcana Evolved
Two-handed bludgeoning simple weapon.
Damage: 1d12
Criticals: x2
Critical range: 20.

Two-Handed Mace from Arms & Armor v.3.5 (Bastion Press)
Two-handed budgeoning simple weapon.
Damage: 1d10
Critical range: 19-20.

Carvet Dagger from Arms & Armor v.3.5 (Bastion Press)
Light piercing simple weapon.
Damage: 1d4+1

Your thoughts? Which weapons from those sourcebooks do you think should be allowed and which banned?.

thatclone
2012-11-20, 05:28 PM
i have a shadowbane inquisitor wielding a full blade from the Arms and Equipment guide. i love that big freaking sword lol. i like the two handed mace too just screams Cleric to me :D havnt really looked at the other books much but dont see anything tooooo drastic out of the Arms guide.

INoKnowNames
2012-11-20, 05:47 PM
+1 the Full Blade. Nothing seems particularly broken, from what I've seen...

Clistenes
2012-11-20, 06:28 PM
About fullblades, people seem to think that they should be the size of a door and weigh fifty pounds, but in fact that isn't necessary:

Greatswords were a lot lighter than everybody thinks. The Zweihänders were the biggers greatswords ever made, and the zweihänder of the warrior Pier Gerlofs Donia, who was about 7 feet tall and had bull-like musculature, was only 14.6 lb. So 14.6 lb is about the upper end for the weight of a greatsword, but most zweihanders were about 4 pounds heavy or less.

Now Conan Atlantean Sword from the first film is 8.5 lbs, despite being the length of a one-handed sword. That's already twice as heavy as a functional greatsword. Make that b**ch's blade 60 inches long instead of 29 inches, and you have a 17.6 pounds monster that's heavier than any real life sword and four times and heavy as most functional greatswords.

I would allow fullblades as exotic weapons (warriors with 18 strength are already as strong as their own heavy warhorse, so it would be natural for them to wield abnormaly heavy weapons) but I would put str 18 as a prerrequisite for the Exotic Proficiency feat.

EDIT: If I could have it my way, it would be longsword=2 lb, bastard sword=3 lb, greatsword=4 lb,fullblade=8 lb or higher.

Kulture
2012-11-23, 02:36 AM
The fullblade is from the 3rd edition A&E guide.
The bastion press A&E guide is a much different book.

Personally I liked the stiletto (dagger with +2 versus med and heavy armour but no thrown range), the claymore (strength check for +1 cleave target), the leeching dagger (which collects blood samples on a damage roll of 4) and the flask launcher, essentially a 60ft range light crossbow that fires flasks.

I also quite like the weightless enchantment (because who wouldn't want to run around in o ACP mithril full plate?) and the sub-dermal armour potions.

Malak'ai
2012-11-23, 03:36 AM
Those are third party books than offer some optional weapons, armor and equipment. Some are really overpowered (like everything crystalline or crystal-bound), but some other seem OK.

For example:

Maul from Sword & Sorcery - Monte_Cook's - Arcana Evolved
Two-handed bludgeoning simple weapon.
Damage: 1d12
Critical range: 20.

Two-Handed Mace from Arms & Armor v.3.5 (Bastion Press)
Two-handed budgeoning simple weapon.
Damage: 1d10

Carvet Dagger from Arms & Armor v.3.5 (Bastion Press)
Light piercing simple weapon.
Damage: 1d4+1

Your thoughts? Which weapons from those sourcebooks do you think should be allowed and which banned?.

Never saw this in my copy of Arms and Armour (then again, I haven't really looked through it), my the Maul is in WotC's Arms and Equipment Guide.
It's:
Damage: D10
Criticals: x3
Critical Range: 20

So I'd take the official version over a 3rd party.