PDA

View Full Version : One-Shot Character (Pathfinder)

Zach J.
2012-11-20, 11:57 PM
Hello, Playground,

I've been invited to play in a one-shot Pathfinder game. It's been a while since I've played D&D and I'm not terribly familiar with Pathfinder so I was hoping that I could get some advice as to something that would survive your average 1st level adventure. In order to keep things simple for me and the DM I'd like to restrict myself to the core ruleset.

The rest of the party is made up of a fighter, an elf ranger and a paladin. I don't know what race the players playing the fighter and paladin are using, but I am assuming they'll choose to be humans.

grarrrg
2012-11-21, 12:07 AM
one-shot Pathfinder game.
...something that would survive your average 1st level adventure. In order to keep things simple for me and the DM I'd like to restrict myself to the core ruleset.

The rest of the party is made up of a fighter, an elf ranger and a paladin

Might as well complete the Full Bab grouping you've got going on:
BARBARIAN!
Half-Orc, Dwarf, or Human are best races.

P.S. Quit stealing my avatar!
I know it's "technically" a public avatar, but it just fits my name so well :smalltongue:

Zach J.
2012-11-21, 12:10 AM
Haha, Half-Orc Barbarian was actually my first impulse. Although to be fair it's always my first impulse.

Oddfellow
2012-11-21, 12:18 AM
I should preface this by saying that I play (primarily) v3.5 D&D, so my knowledge of Pathfinder is limited --but, as I understand, they're pretty similar, so I'll give you my best.

From the combo your group has going, my first thought would be to play a cleric, or someone with similar healing capabilities; you've got presumably two tanks (Paladin, Fighter), and a high-damage (ranger), so the gap there is a healer.

BUT.

If it's a one off game, I say pick something nuts, something unconventional that maybe doesn't even work that well. Throw a wrench in the DM's expectations, and have fun! Who says you NEED to survive this one-off? That's what I say.

Erm, well... I guess this also depends if you ever want to be invited back...

Wyntonian
2012-11-21, 12:28 AM
Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist)! Play a mad scientist! Blow shtuff up! Turn into a combat monster! Laugh maniacally! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!

Zach J.
2012-11-21, 12:31 AM
Ooh...bombs. I'll have to check with DM. If he's cool with it I may have found a winner.

Zach J.
2012-11-21, 03:54 PM
Here's what I've got so far:

Half-Elf Fighter 1

STR 18, DEX 14, CON 15, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 13

Intimidate +10, Perception +7

Dazzling Display, Skill Focus (Intimidate), Weapon Focus (Glaive)

Equipment: Glaive, Morningstar, Scale Mail, Buckler, etc.

How's that look?

doko239
2012-11-21, 04:33 PM
If you want a beefstick, go Summoner, specifically Synthesist (paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcastingClassOptions/summoner.html). Pseudo-full BAB, higher HP potential than even a Barbarian, and natural attacks.

Ketiara
2012-11-21, 04:56 PM
Here's what I've got so far:

Half-Elf Fighter 1

STR 17, DEX 13, CON 16, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 14

Intimidate +11, Perception +7

Dazzling Display, Skill Focus (Intimidate), Weapon Focus (Glaive)

Equipment: Glaive, Morningstar, Scale Mail, Buckler, etc.

How's that look?

A one shot adventure does that mean that you will only use the pc' s once and for one level? Because in that case, theres no point putting 17str and 13dex rather 16/14 if you ask me.

Zach J.
2012-11-21, 05:01 PM
A one shot adventure does that mean that you will only use the pc' s once and for one level? Because in that case, theres no point putting 17str and 13dex rather 16/14 if you ask me.

That's right. We'll ostensibly only be using these characters for one evening and I've been told that the DM plans for us to reach level 2 before the session is over. Thank you for your suggestions.

Zach J.
2012-11-21, 05:06 PM
If you want a beefstick, go Summoner, specifically Synthesist (paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcastingClassOptions/summoner.html). Pseudo-full BAB, higher HP potential than even a Barbarian, and natural attacks.

As far as I know the DM has only allowed core material. The only non-core thing I plan to introduce with my character is the Dazzling Display feat. I realize that the Summoner is accessible on the SRD, but it's been my experience that very few people who play the game in person and not online use the SRD. I'd rather stick with something pretty simple, especially for a game that's not going to last longer than an evening. Thank you for your suggestion though! :)

jmelesky
2012-11-21, 06:30 PM
I'm going to break with everyone else and say: make a Bard!

Why?

You have three melee allies, so your inspire courage goes much further.
You can use nets or lassos to entangle foes and manage some magic-free battlefield control.
The party suddenly has someone who can both answer Knowledge questions and cast detect magic.

I mean, I like the idea of a full-BAB party as much as the next guy, but a little bit of knowledge and arcane goes a long way. Add in the buffs, and bard looks good.

Well, a proper bard always looks good. But you know what I mean.

Tactfultack
2012-11-21, 10:15 PM
I'm going to break with everyone else and say: make a Bard!

Why?

You have three melee allies, so your inspire courage goes much further.
You can use nets or lassos to entangle foes and manage some magic-free battlefield control.
The party suddenly has someone who can both answer Knowledge questions and cast detect magic.

I mean, I like the idea of a full-BAB party as much as the next guy, but a little bit of knowledge and arcane goes a long way. Add in the buffs, and bard looks good.

Well, a proper bard always looks good. But you know what I mean.

I'm seconding the suggestion for the Bard. Support does wonders and buffs and debuffs are loved. From the looks of this party currently, you're going to need some support. Melee is great and all, but too much, and party falls out of balance rather quickly. Killing everything as fast as possible only works some times. Plus Bards can be a lot of fun.

Zach J.
2012-11-24, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not a fan of bards.