PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Staring them down

Zahhak
2012-11-21, 01:29 AM
Short version: Simple enough question, imagine we have an NPC and a PC trying to assert dominance over each other (non-magically) by staring each other down. How would that work? A series Intimidate vs Intimidate checks, maybe?

Explanation: This is something I thought of for a campaign I'm half-working on where a group of PCs are in a position to want to deal non-violently with a group of savage/monstrous humanoids, and said savage/monstrous humanoids have a reason to not resort to violence (the PCs have been hired by a very powerful organization that might send troops if the PCs are attacked unjustly). But, savage/monstrous humanoids will be savage/monstrous humanoids, so they still want to do something to assert dominance over the PCs, and I was thinking that having the head of the guards stare down the PC who is talking the most. The thing is, I'm not sure how to represent that.

Silentone98
2012-11-21, 01:41 AM
Simple...
First, avoid the opposed rolls, in my opinion. This causes complications of "No, I don't care how intiminating this creature is, im not backing down. You can't dictate my actions" or somesuch like this. Second, there are rules specifically against using the skills in this way on PC's for interaction. I forget where it is, but its there as a suggestion or a rule, for a good reason.

Those rolls, as I see it, are primarily to determine how the character interacts with the world, and in return, how the world interacts back... Using it to force the player to interact in a certain way is fundamentally wrong. (this is different if the PLAYER decides he wants to use intiminate to stare down the creature,.. but I don't believe it would be an opposed check still... play it off as he wasnt intimanated and continues to stare you down,.. slowly and menacingly advancing.)

Second,... I would be as describtive as possible.. I would subtly point out the differences in party strengths, the aggressiveness of those they are provoking. They need to be brought 'aware' of the situation they are in and that there might be a chance to not progress it into a battle of they swallow their pride for a moment.

What your trying to do may actually require a situation before hand where they NEED their backup,.. only to find out it's gonna take some time for their help to arrive and they'd be screwed if they had to rely on this backup. Otherwise they will crutch on this and say "**** ya all.. bring it"

Twilightwyrm
2012-11-22, 04:43 AM
There are three main methods of doing this:

1) Simple Intimidate check, to which the PCs can react with their own Intimidate check if they pass the guard's one.

2) See ToB pg. 27. There it lists a combat option called a duel of wills. In it, at the start of combat a combatant can attempt a duel of wills with an enemy in order to gain a morale bonus on the following rounds. The defender can accept the challenge, calling for opposed Intimidate rolls (the winner gaining a moral bonus), give in to the enemy and accept a penalty against them in the following rounds, or ignore them, in which case the instigator of the duel need only beat a minor DC to gain a moral bonus against them anyways. You could adept this to an out of combat situation, giving the PCs this challenge, and telling them their options. If the meet the challenge, opposes rolls would determine who gets intimidated, giving in means the guards would get a bonus on the next intimidate check the guards make against them in the future, and ignoring means the guards become confident in the face of the PCs, meaning they will be both harder to intimidate in the future, and more likely to harass the PCs (presumably because they feel they can). Even if you don't adapt it, you can also remind them that, should they ignore or give in to the challenge, the guards would have a bonus against them if they then chose to attack regardless. Even if the PCs do have diplomatic immunity, or some such, PCs are generally hardwired to want to deny potential opponents any combat advantage, even if combat isn't lawful. Probably a side effect of living with the law of the jungle for long periods of time.

3) Oriental Adventures, pg. 82 has Psychic Duels (more accurately described as a duel of wills). This may be closest to what you are after, but uses progressively higher Will saves rather than Intimidate Checks. Basically, if two character engage in a Psychic duel, each rolls a Will save against DC 10. If both make it, the DC increases by 5 to 15, and so forth until one, or both lose. If both characters fail, the duel is inconclusive. If one succeed and the other fails, the loser can still fight, but is effectively hit with the Bane spell for the rest of combat. They can alternatively elect to retreat.

Zahhak
2012-11-22, 04:01 PM
Thanks Twilight, you've given me some stuff to research.