PDA

View Full Version : Converting your DND character to other mediums.

Tylorious
2012-11-21, 07:51 AM
I created my DND character in Skyrim yesterday, and it created a whole new outlook on both games.....It's amazing, has anyone else ever done this, and also, are there any other games that this is fun to do with. NWN does not count as it is a DND game already ha.

Morrolan
2012-11-21, 07:58 AM
I've done the same in Skyrim, although it did require some mods, so that may be cheating ^^

Titan Quest and the first Guild Wars are also awesome for this, because in both games you combine two professions/skill trees.

Kaustic
2012-11-21, 09:36 AM
I wish I could figure a way to convert my DND character to my Star Wars D6 game. THAT would be cool.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-21, 10:16 AM
...I once tried to convert one of my characters into an Oblivion; but becoming a vampire de-railed it completely. I also "updated" the same character to 4e ; but the difference in mechanics was too much for him to be more than an In-name only conversion.

prufock
2012-11-21, 11:05 AM
I've done Mutants & Masterminds-to-Dungeons & Dragons conversions, and vice versa. ECL and PL don't line up perfectly, but you can build an ECL 10 character at PL 10 pretty decently, for example.

I used to build my Final Fantasy (original) teams based on my D&D party compositions.

Wyntonian
2012-11-21, 12:55 PM
I did a very loose transition from a 3.5 character to a Dresden Files RPG guy. It didn't work out too amazingly well.

Well, I love both characters, and they're both fun, but they aren't obviously the same guy. One has Favored Soul spellcasting, the other has an M16.

lucky9
2012-11-21, 03:09 PM
I've tried this a many, many times with unfortunately limited success. It was still fun of course:smallbiggrin: But there's always the same problems.

First off, it only works for characters who can play the party leader (decent charisma, intelligence, and/or wisdom) I attempted to adapt my INT 10/ WIS 12/ CHA 8 dwarf to Dragon Age and ended up being forced to improve him socially by a huge amount as well as making him a bit smarter i.e. break the character concept.

Second, some characters simply don't work in other places. Notable classic characters just don't fit anywhere but the books. The fighting style, the interactions, the abilities are unique to the setting (I'm talking about you, Drizzt, Raistlin, Sherlock and all you others!:smallmad:) i.e. break the character concept.

Lastly, and this IMO is the main problem throughout, tabletop is an environment in which ANY character can do ANY thing. Whereas pretty much all other formats railroad certain decision, actions, what have you. I can't have my mentally unstable bard negotiate a deal with the Skyrim bandits. I have to either a)crossbow b) spell c) ignore i.e break the character concept.

All that aside adapting characters is one of my favorite ways to kill time. You just have to be willing to twist or even modify/break character.

Now adapting characters to D&D instead of from it? Piece of cake:smallwink: