PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Imbue Item

barna10
2012-11-21, 08:30 AM
Do you allow a Warlock to use Imbue Item to emulate non-spell requirements like an Artificer can? It's definitely not stated in the ability, but should it be?

Socratov
2012-11-21, 08:38 AM
I wouldnt. Imbue item makes it possible for the warlock to craft anything needing some form of spell (divine or arcane), provided he has the apropriate crafting feats. So the spell requirement makes it possible for the warlock to craft while xp, materials, etc. still need to be provided...

Psyren
2012-11-21, 08:54 AM
Whether you choose to allow this or not doesn't make that big a difference. Nonspell requirements are things like alignment and race, and the Warlock could just cooperate with an NPC, or bind something, to satisfy those. Spells are the most important requirement and both classes can fake them.

If it helps, recall that Warlock crafting is slightly more useful than Artificer's - spell-trigger and spell-completion items that Warlocks create do count as arcane or divine, while Artificer items are neither. This means that a Wizard or Archivist could learn from a Warlock-created scroll but not from an Artificer's. So if you wanted this to be a balancing factor you could.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-11-21, 11:53 AM
Do you allow a Warlock to use Imbue Item to emulate non-spell requirements like an Artificer can? It's definitely not stated in the ability, but should it be?

No. That's what the two-level dip in Chameleon is for. The floating feat lets you pick up the relevant feat which you use to craft the item with, and is a bonus invocation of one tier lower than the highest tier you can use when you are adventuring (through Extra Invocation).

Answerer
2012-11-21, 12:31 PM
No. That's what the two-level dip in Chameleon is for. The floating feat lets you pick up the relevant feat which you use to craft the item with, and is a bonus invocation of one tier lower than the highest tier you can use when you are adventuring (through Extra Invocation).
This is a trick that doesn't come online until level 14.

Dimers
2012-11-21, 01:34 PM
Personally, I'd offer the option as a feat. Spend the character resources on it and you may, choose not to spend and you may not.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-11-21, 05:24 PM
This is a trick that doesn't come online until level 14.

Considering Imbue Item itself doesn't come online until level 12, I don't see this as a major issue, considering that the two-level dip which significantly increases the flexibility and versatility of a class otherwise known for the reverse, it's well worth it.

nedz
2012-11-21, 06:11 PM
Considering Imbue Item itself doesn't come online until level 12, I don't see this as a major issue, considering that the two-level dip which significantly increases the flexibility and versatility of a class otherwise known for the reverse, it's well worth it.

Yes, the general trick becomes available at level 8: Warlock 6/Chameleon 2