PDA

View Full Version : Awakening Undead and Ex. class ablities

Oxydeur
2012-11-21, 01:12 PM
Greetings Playgrounders !

I'm currently playing a lvl 8 Dread Necromancer in an evil campaign. I already raised 4 trolls skeletons and i'm really happy with it (and it's pretty badass to walk with 4 Giant Skeleton bodyguard).
So, I naturally look for bonus spells fot later and found Awaken Undead. What a great spell ! Intelligent controlable undead who regain their (Ex.) abilities ! Do want !

But I asked my self : the spell say that the affected undead regain all extraodinary abilities he had in life. What about extraordinary class features ?
Sure, the animated corpse lose his class hit dices, but the spell doesn't precise that it only concern racial features.

Example :
Let's say Grunsh the lvl 4 human Barbarian just got killed and raised as a skeleton by a necromancer.
The mindless skeleton is lame : 1 hit dice, +0 BAB, probably good strengh though.
Now say that our necromancer use Awaken undead on him.

Grunsh the skeleton lost all his barbarian abilities when raised, but the spell says he regain abilities he had in life.

And, when alive, Grunsh can rage 2 times per day, have uncanny dodge, trap sense and Fast movement !

So, what now ? Do we have a lame skeleton with a greataxe, or a Raging Skeleton with a Greataxe ? What do you think about it ?

TL;DR;
Does an awkened undead regain extraordinary class abilities he had in life ?

BowStreetRunner
2012-11-21, 01:28 PM
RAW - the description absolutely states "any extraordinary abilities they had in life" with no distinction between racial or class abilities.

RAI - I do not believe the intent is unequivocally clear.

The two extraordinary abilities specifically given as examples in the description are poison and scent, which would generally be racial abilities. But whether this is sufficient to determine intent or not I think is extremely subjective given the overall tone of the description.

On the one hand, the spell states they do not regain any skills or feats. Since these can be gained either from Racial HD or from Class Levels, I don't think there is any clear indication here that the intent was specific to racial or class features.

It also states that they do regain armor and weapon proficiencies, and even goes to far as to say this assumes they were warriors, which suggests this is taken from their class proficiencies rather than merely racial proficiencies received based on their type and sub-type.

Curmudgeon
2012-11-21, 03:50 PM
Let's say Grunsh the lvl 4 human Barbarian just got killed and raised as a skeleton by a necromancer.
You just have to follow the RAW. Here's what happens when someone becomes a skeleton.
Hit Dice: Drop any Hit Dice gained from class levels (to a minimum of 1) and raise remaining Hit Dice to d12s. Everything dependent on those class hit dice is dropped. In the case of a creature without racial HD you'll hit that "minimum of 1" rule and retain a class HD, and that will give you only level 1 class abilities. Of those marked Extraordinary in the Barbarian class, that gives you Rage 1/day and Fast Movement.

TuggyNE
2012-11-21, 07:41 PM
Note that Rage is not terribly awesome when you have Con -, since a) it doesn't last long and b) doesn't give you a Con bonus.

Quietus
2012-11-21, 09:02 PM
Note that Rage is not terribly awesome when you have Con -, since a) it doesn't last long and b) doesn't give you a Con bonus.

On the bright side, you're immune to the fatigue afterward.