PDA

View Full Version : Built up Synergy

Cranthis
2012-11-21, 08:05 PM
My group has a houserule about synergy. Every 5 ranks in something gives you +2, if it provides a synergy bonus with something else.

For example: 5 ranks in Bluff gives you +2 in several skills. With our houserule, at 10 ranks, you would gather another +2, for a total of +4 synergy bonus.

How unbalancing, overpowered, etc etc, is this?

Answerer
2012-11-21, 08:07 PM
It's.... almost irrelevant. It's a pretty cheap boost, but it's also small. And pumping skill checks is terrifyingly easy. And skills aren't, for the most part, all that good to begin with.

javijuji
2012-11-21, 08:08 PM
At first my group and I misinterpreted the synergy rules and applied the same formula. Every 5 points a 2 point synergy bonus as specified by the game.

Officially you also get another bonus at 20 ranks. The problem with applying synergy bonus every 5 points is that all the characters would have either 5 or 10 points in most stuff. There would be no reason to have say 8 points in knowledge (arcana) and 7 in knowledge (religion) when you could have 10 and 5 and get a+4 synergy.

Sorry for the bad english. Its not my main language

Xervous
2012-11-21, 08:08 PM
The only problems I can see being generated are with things that are highly dependent on skill checks, most of which are already broken in their own right.

So no problems..

also, the next synergy bonus is at 25, then 45, etc as per the epic rules handbook