PDA

View Full Version : BorderlandsD100 (WIP, PEACH, HELP!)

BelGareth
2012-11-22, 03:33 AM
BorderlandsD100

So I think a Borderlands P&P game would be awesome.

Basically a hack and slash...er I mean....shoot and loot ;)

So first off was deciding the basic core mechanic for the game, as the game has no affective AC stat (or Dex) the dertminate to-hit mechanic could not use the d20 (utilizing DCs vs die rolls) instead, a static percentile DC vs your to-hit with various modifiers to it would be more appropriate, keeping (in essence) your to hit the same for everything. (as a 1st level compared to a 3rd level have the same skill at shooting things)

This would be very similar to the Fallout VATS/shooting system.

My current mechanic for shooting targets:

Range -
Each weapon type has a range increment, each additional increment is stacking -10% modifier.

{table=head]Weapon|Range Increment
Sniper|100 ft
Assault Rifle|80 ft
Shotgun|10 ft
Pistol|40 ft
SMG|60 ft
Rocket Launcher|100 ft[/table]

Targeted -
Aiming down the sights and aiming at a body area is hard. Harder than aiming at center mass. so If you choose to make an aimed shot you receive penalties dependant on the body part. (like VATS) if not however, you are considered to be shooting for center mass and will deal damage to the torso (which has DR).

{table=head]Body part|Modifer
Head|-50%
Arms|-40%
Legs|-40%
Torso|-20%[/table]

The benefit of aiming at the torso is reducing the effective DR by half.

Weapon Accuracy -
Taking everything else into consideration, you then mulitply the result by your weapon accuracy.

Formula:
((Range increments - 1)*.1 + Aiming modifier) * Weapon Accuracy = %DC (rounding up)

Example:
Marcus is shooting a Pistol (with 87 accuracy) at 110 ft, aiming for the torso.

((Range increments[3] - 1)*.1 + Aiming modifier[.20]) * Weapon Accuracy[.87] = 0.348 (35%)

The shooter then rolls a D100 and if he rolls > or = the DC he scores a hit.

If the shooter is just shooting at center mass, then you skip the targeted modifier (resulting in a 0), if you hit shooting at center mass the target receives Damage reduction dependent on level.

I'm thinking of having those weapons that shoot more than 1 round at a time of having a range from 1-20, allowing the player to shoot that many times in a round, which leads me to recoil and fire rate components of weapons.

I'm thinking something along the lines of applying a modifier generated from the recoil stat to each additional round discharged in a round. Not sure if this should be a stacking modifier or a static applied to all of the following rounds.

In game wise, I think a stacking modifier works and makes more sense, the longer you shoot the harder it is to control, especially as there are some weapons that specifically become more accurate the longer they are shot.

If that is so, then the modifier must be small, allowing for the modifier to slowly build up.

Each additional shot = Previous DC% * (1+ recoil).

For Example:
Marcus is shooting his same gun which has a recoil value of .05 and fire rate of 6.

1st shot = 0.348 (35%)
2nd shot = 0.348 * (1 + 0.05) = 0.348 * 1.05 = 0.3654 [0.37]
3rd shot = 0.3654 * (1 + 0.05) = 0.3654 * 1.05 = 0.38367 [0.38]
4th shot = 0.38367 * (1 + 0.05) = 0.38367 * 1.05 = 0.4028535 [0.40]
5th shot = 0.4028535 * (1 + 0.05) = 0.4028535 * 1.05 = 0.42299617 [0.42]
6th shot = 0.42299617 * (1 + 0.05) = 0.42299617 * 1.05 = 0.4441459 [0.44]

I realize some of these are quite complex, but its nothing a simple Excel spreadsheet or a online tool cannot handle.

Health system:

I was thinking of an exponential health static bonus gained per level. This would also be how monsters gain health, albeit at a slightly different progression rate.

So the basic health system would be HP's (health points) and SP's (Shield points) with a hit dealing damage per the weapon to the SP's first and then to the HP's.

pretty simple.

So what I need help is with the following:

Writing up all the abilities for all 6 classes (or 4 however way you look at it)
generate level bonuses for HP's (which should be exponential)
Writing up all the weapon abilities, generate random item charts etc...

And some more stuff I'm sure I can't think of right now.

Kensen
2012-11-22, 04:00 AM
I love Borderlands and will gladly comment on stuff. At first glance, it seems a lot of math is involved. Addition, subtraction and multiplication... well as you said it's nothing an excel sheet cannot handle, but that means you need a computer or calculator to play the game. While some people nowadays bring their laptops or touch pads to tabletop games, it shouldn't be a requirement. Many people like their pen and paper. :smalltongue:

So, I think it's a good idea to think if there's a way to simplify the math. That doesn't mean you can't have aiming modifiers etc., just maybe use simpler mathematical expressions.

The Zoat
2012-11-22, 05:07 AM
What are the 5th-6th classes?

Also, shotguns in borderlands two can be pretty great at long distance.

BelGareth
2012-11-22, 05:23 AM
I love Borderlands and will gladly comment on stuff. At first glance, it seems a lot of math is involved. Addition, subtraction and multiplication... well as you said it's nothing an excel sheet cannot handle, but that means you need a computer or calculator to play the game. While some people nowadays bring their laptops or touch pads to tabletop games, it shouldn't be a requirement. Many people like their pen and paper. :smalltongue:

So, I think it's a good idea to think if there's a way to simplify the math. That doesn't mean you can't have aiming modifiers etc., just maybe use simpler mathematical expressions.

You have a point, I may be able to create tables for reference, however the weapons will have to have static stats for attributes...not impossible just a lot of work.

What are the 5th-6th classes?

Also, shotguns in borderlands two can be pretty great at long distance.

Classes
Siren -
Maya Version
Lilith Version

Mordecai

Brick

Commando -
Axton version
Roland version

Salvador

Zero

Gaige (forgot about her!)

kaiten619
2012-11-23, 05:59 PM
i definitely want to see this. if it would help u maybe the strategy guide of both borderlands 1 and 2 will help you make it more accurate

Threadnaught
2012-11-23, 06:08 PM
Roland isn't a Commando, he's a Soldier. With easy access to ammo regeneration.

Tanuki Tales
2012-11-23, 06:29 PM
The irony?

I just got off Borderlands 5 minutes ago.

I have learned to hate Alpha Scrags with a deep, unending passion.

Aaaanywhooo, I look forward to see what comes of this.