PDA

View Full Version : Two! Two Armor Crystals. Ha ha ha ha

odigity
2012-11-22, 05:05 AM
You can put armor enchantments and crystals on Robes in lieu of armor, and the same goes for Bracers of Armor.

So does that mean you could have two armor crystals in effect at the same time if you had both Bracers and Robes enchanted to give a bonus to armor? (Yes, I know you only get the higher of the two bonuses to armor, but that's a separate issue.)

If so, I'm thinking of doing the following for my wizard:

- Bracers of Armor (+1 to +8 armor bonus, plus one armor crystal; this is where my AC boost will come from)
- Robes of Something (+1 armor bonus just to make it magic armor, then misc armor properties like Quickness and Death Ward, plus one armor crystal)

Splitting it up this way should save a lot of money, since two +5 items are far cheaper than a +10 item.

No shield, though. I draw the cheese-limit line there.

Rubik
2012-11-22, 06:48 AM
Note that you can stack qualities for a mere +50% on all but the most expensive item there, so just stack item qualities on the armor crystals.

You can do the same with weapon crystals, as well, which means that +1 frost, flaming, throwing, returning great axe just got a hell of a lot cheaper.

Krazzman
2012-11-22, 07:00 AM
Note that you can stack qualities for a mere +50% on all but the most expensive item there, so just stack item qualities on the armor crystals.

You can do the same with weapon crystals, as well, which means that +1 frost, flaming, throwing, returning great axe just got a hell of a lot cheaper.

Could you explain that further? Or tell me where I can find that ruling?

Rubik
2012-11-22, 07:04 AM
Could you explain that further? Or tell me where I can find that ruling?It's a suggestion in the DMG, and it's officialized in the Magic Item Compendium. I don't have my DMG on me so I can't give you the page on that, but in the MIC it's on page 233.

Basically, if you want to add an additional item quality on a pre-existing item, make sure the quality is proper for the body slot (or increase the price as appropriate, as noted in the magic item creation guidelines in the DMG). If the quality you're adding is less expensive than what's already on there, increase the price of the additional item quality by +50% to determine how much it costs to add. If it's more expensive, take what's already on the item and add +50% of THAT cost instead (as if the more expensive quality was the original quality). Any additional item qualities that you add are done the same way, except you only add +50% to the cost of each quality once -- the price doesn't keep increasing if you've already paid the +50%.

I do believe the MIC explains it better.

odigity
2012-11-22, 08:18 AM

I'm familiar with the DMG+MIC crafting rules, but it never occurred to me to try to stick multiple enchantments on a single crystal. You sure that's legit? I can't think off-hand of a restriction that would prevent it, it just doesn't sit right because it's so counter to the intended purpose of crystals.

On second thought, maybe not more so than the intended purpose of body slots...

Even taking into account that clever stacking option, there are other minor benefits to being able to use two different armor crystals at the same time -- they're cheaper individually, and it gives you more combinatorial flexibility.

Darrin
2012-11-22, 08:48 AM
No shield, though. I draw the cheese-limit line there.

What, no dastana and chahar-aina?

Socratov
2012-11-22, 09:33 AM
How about items that exist in 2's? I mean bracers or armor are made of 2 bracers which fit around both wrists. so by that ruling you could argue that by waering 2 bracers you could stick a chrystal on both of them for no extra cost :smallamused: (perfectly logical to be honest)

then there are gloves which also are bought in pairs but listed seperately, but not boots. they somehow exist as a single item. :smallconfused:

Though one could argue if woundrous items (like the bracers and the gloves) count as armor (including cape slotted items, leg slotted items, feet slotted items, and so on)