PDA

View Full Version : What if you could learn spells like you learned maneuvers?

GoatBoy
2012-11-22, 10:00 AM
To clarify, what if learning spells from class lists was like learning maneuvers, that is, non-casting class levels count as half a caster level, spells have minimum caster level prerequisites to learn, and require (as a non-binding example, subject to change) one or two other spells known from that school? Does this make sense?

For example, a level 10 fighter takes a level of sorcerer. Normally he would get three level 1 spells. What if his fighter levels counted as half a sorcerer level, giving him spells as a 6th level sorcerer (10 fighter levels * 1/2, plus 1 sorcerer level)? Not the full arsenal of spells, mind you. Just access to spells of up to level 3, akin to a level 6 sorcerer. Custom tables are going to be needed here, but I hope you can see the idea.

First, the world would end because casters are already too powerful. Please bear with me here.

Second, multi-classing and caster dipping would become a little more attractive than they already are because you are getting more powerful spells and a better starting caster level.

Third, high-level builds would be able to take advantage of some of the nicer spells without having to divert as far from their class level progression.

This would require a more in-depth ruling than what I've written here. I'm just curious as to whether this line of thinking could pay off. You could even create feats like "Arcane Study" or "Divine Study" that can be taken a couple of times, granting access to those oh-so-lovely spell lists to classes who'd otherwise never receive it.

Yeah, people who play fighters say they shouldn't have to resort to magic to stay competitive, but why is learning a spell or two so different from swinging a magic sword?

Is this concept worth looking into further?

Snowbluff
2012-11-22, 10:03 AM
Well suddenly my Fighter1/Wizard4/Swiftblade9/ArcaneDuelist2/Abjurant Champion just got a lot stronger.

Pilo
2012-11-22, 11:30 AM
Well suddenly my Fighter1/Wizard4/Swiftblade9/ArcaneDuelist2/Abjurant Champion just got a lot stronger.

Well suddenly my Wizard1/Sorcerer1/Shugenja1/Favored soul1/Cleric1/Beguiler1/Archivist1/Wu-jen1/Dread Necromancer1/Warmage1/Druid1/Spirit Shaman 1/Ultimate magus 8 (or Mystic theurge 8 or Arcane Hierophant 8 or wizard 8 ) just got a lot stronger.

I don't think this concept worth looking into further, it will be really hard to balance. There are some difference between the two system, maneuvers (at my knowledge) does not evolve much by initiator level and does not have duration. Caster level is vital for many spells on many parameters.

If you want to do it anyway, I think the best will be to adapt regular Magic and make it closer to blade magic.

Darrin
2012-11-22, 11:34 AM
Spells = Maneuvers?

Welcome to 4E.