PDA

View Full Version : shadow warrior

limejuicepowder
2012-11-22, 10:44 AM
I've just "discovered" the blend into shadows feat from DotU, and want to make a build around it. However, I want to make sure it'll work the way I want it to:

Would it be possible to do this in 1 round, if the character was in an area of darkness:

-use a standard action to attack
-swift action to hide
-possible move action to get away from the opponent

On the opponent's turn, to find the character they would have to make a spot check vs the character's hide check to locate. Otherwise, they would count as being invisible (must guess at the location, 50% miss chance, etc).

How would any of you DM's handle the use of this feat? Could the character use that routine every round without penalty? Note that the hide skill allows movement at 1/2 speed without penalty.

Gwendol
2012-11-22, 12:56 PM
You can't hide while attacking. The swift action spent is to use up the darkness SLA needed for HiPS, but you still need magical darkness within 10' of you to make this work.

nedz
2012-11-22, 01:08 PM
Drow or Warlock are likely means of acquiring Darkness as an SLA, though there are probably others.

Sniping

If you’ve already successfully hidden at least 10 feet from your target, you can make one ranged attack, then immediately hide again. You take a -20 penalty on your Hide check to conceal yourself after the shot.

The sniping rule would let you hide after attacking, but only if you are 10 feet away. Seems like you will need a missile attack, spring attack or flyby attack.

This would seem to be quite a good feat for a Roguelock.

jokeaccount
2012-11-22, 01:13 PM
You can't hide while attacking. The swift action spent is to use up the darkness SLA needed for HiPS, but you still need magical darkness within 10' of you to make this work.

What do you mean you can't hide while attacking? I'm building a character around HiPS that can duel anyone with the following rotation:

Start invisible/hidden
Use spring attack feat to approach enemy, sneak attack him with staggering strike, then HiPS and move away with the rest of the movement spring attack allows you to.
The enemy now can either move or do standard action. Since you're away even if he finds you he can't melee you. All he can do is move. If he is a caster too bad he still has to find you. Also i'm using a template that gives me darkness SLA so i will have that to cover myself if needed. HiPS works from your enemy's shadow so no need for any other darkness around either.

Gwendol
2012-11-22, 02:31 PM
Check the description of the hide skill; it's right there.

jokeaccount
2012-11-22, 02:48 PM
So HiPS doesn't work during combat? What's the point then... Also it does but you have to do a -20 penalty check

Gwendol
2012-11-22, 03:06 PM
Yeah, well that's not impossible: I have a ECL 4 Dark rogue with +16 to hide, and far from max rank in the skill, so a purpose-built character should do much better.

nedz
2012-11-22, 03:21 PM
SpC contains some useful spells
(Druid 1, Ranger 1) Camouflage +10 Circumstance bonus to Hide
(Druid 2, Ranger 2) Camouflage, Mass
(Druid 3, Ranger 3) Forestfold +10 Competance bonus to Hide

Rangers probably have Hide maxed out, so -20 should be a breeze

jokeaccount
2012-11-22, 04:13 PM
It IS a breeze. The character i'm talking about is gonna use HiPS with collar of umbral metamorphosis, and i won't go into detail but he achieves +37 to hide at lvl 10 when he activates it

nedz
2012-11-22, 04:40 PM
It IS a breeze. The character i'm talking about is gonna use HiPS with collar of umbral metamorphosis, and i won't go into detail but he achieves +37 to hide at lvl 10 when he activates it

At level 10 someone with Spot maxed will have 13 ranks.
Your +37, with a -20, comes to +17.
So you are on only +4 before stats, feats, spells and class features.

jokeaccount
2012-11-22, 04:50 PM
At level 10 someone with Spot maxed will have 13 ranks.
Your +37, with a -20, comes to +17.
So you are on only +4 before stats, feats, spells and class features.

And why should he have a maxed spot :p

Azoth
2012-11-23, 01:29 AM
Chameleon template La+1 +10 hide
Dark Template LA+1 +8 hide
Whisper Gnome +8 hide
20 Dex +5 hide
MW tool +2 hide
Cloak of elven kind +5 hide
8hd Max ranks +11hide

10+8+8+5+2+5+11=49 hide at ECL10.

So 49-20=+29 hide. Max spot is +13 maybe a +2 from stat mods...still leaves a +14 difference. Anything CR appropriate that isn't using magic to find you stands a snowball's chance in the abyss to find you.

nedz
2012-11-23, 04:28 AM
And why should he have a maxed spot :p

I was just looking at the likely worst case. Maxed spot is not uncommon.

ThiagoMartell
2012-11-23, 09:48 AM
Dip Warlock to get Darkness at will. There is a Shadow Warrior feat somewhere (maybe evne in Drow of the UNderdark?) that helps when you're in concealment, but it's quite weak IIRC.
Sneak Attack obviously helps.

limejuicepowder
2012-11-23, 10:44 AM
Dip Warlock to get Darkness at will. There is a Shadow Warrior feat somewhere (maybe evne in Drow of the UNderdark?) that helps when you're in concealment, but it's quite weak IIRC.
Sneak Attack obviously helps.

Yeah I was looking at that feat - weak indeed. +1 dodge chance when concealed by darkness, basically.

The build I had in mind was strongheart halfling rogue 2 warlock 2 rogue 1 swordsage 1 fighter 1 swordsage 1 (the succession of levels is to make sure I can get the feats I need).

However, without items hide would only be +21. Might have to revise the build to make it worth it.