PDA

View Full Version : Boris Strugatsky (1933 – 2012)

Trixie
2012-11-22, 02:08 PM
I did not found any post about this, so...

One of the last great Eastern European SF/Fantasy writers, Boris Strugatsky died two days ago, surviving his co-writing brother Arkady by 22 years. He was probably one of top 5 fantasy tales authors living and writing in Soviet aligned territory.

If never heard of them, Stalker movie, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series games, books The Roadside Picnic, Hard to Be a God - all were based on their work.

warty goblin
2012-11-22, 02:42 PM
Damn, I just read Roadside Picnic for the first time a couple months ago. Seriously brilliant work, I wish more of the Strugatsky's work was available in English.

Tengu_temp
2012-11-22, 04:00 PM
Are any of the stars of Russian sci-fi alive anymore? The Strugatskys are dead, Bulychev is dead, Bulgakov is long dead... I'll miss them.

Flickerdart
2012-11-22, 04:20 PM
It was a shame that Boris refused to finish the things the brothers were working on before Arkady died, and even more of a shame that there are so many rubbish books set in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Zone - even though they're three degrees of adaptation away, they still cheapen Picnic by being lousy.

Trixie
2012-11-22, 04:46 PM
Are any of the stars of Russian sci-fi alive anymore? The Strugatskys are dead, Bulychev is dead, Bulgakov is long dead... I'll miss them.

Well, there is new generation, but I think every great Polish and Russian SF writers of these times is gone :smallfrown:

Also, a bit more information in tribute article (http://rbth.ru/articles/2012/11/21/boris_strugatsky_passes_away_20287.html) of who he was for others that didn't heard of Strugatski brothers.