PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of Horrors 3D: The Final Chapter

prufock
2012-11-22, 02:20 PM
First of all, if the name Deimos the Dread is familiar to you, don't read this.

Every year in October I run a horror-themed adventure. I'm getting a pretty good jump on this year. It will be based around the Tomb of Horrors (using the same map, basic storyline, and plenty of trap and monster elements), but taking some heavy inspiration from the Saw series.

Basic outline is:

- Characters all wake up stripped of gear in some death trap. The first trap should be individual, and not too time-consuming or difficult.

- The character meet in a second trap room, and discover why they're there: to prove that they have the will it takes to overcome their personal flaws and find their way out (all PCs must have some significant flaw, tragic history, or dark side to their personality).

- The characters, now together as a (possibly dysfunctional) unit, make their way through more traps and monsters, gradually recovering their equipment and some predetermined loot, toward the baddie at the end of the Tomb.

This allows a decent reasoning for bringing in new characters if the first ones die - other people who were kidnapped for the trap.

I'm looking for ideas for Saw-like traps that can be modeled in 3.5. Obviously magical traps are a possibility, unlike the films. I realize that many of the types of "games" used in the movies are poorly suited to the system.

Example: Trap #2, where they all meet up, has them exiting their individual rooms, each in a caged hallway. They can see each other. In the middle is a construct with wicked-looking blades and barbs all over it, ready to kill anyone who comes into its path. They find some of their gear (whatever would help them in a fight) in the hallway. The hallways are all connected by chains, which each character can pull to push another character closer to the construct in the middle. They can pull only one chain per round, and MUST pull a chain or get a magical electric shock. They can oppose the person trying to pull their chain with opposed strength checks. Once a character reaches the middle, the construct attacks and fights to the death. It will be CR 6 or so - deadly (but beatable) for one character, but easy for the group. The point is to work together so they all get into the middle at the same time.

Any ideas?

AuraTwilight
2012-11-22, 08:37 PM
You're a bastard.

I love you.

Unfortunately I don't have any ideas; I never actually watched the Saw Movies. I would recommend throwing in the"Key behind the eye" trick just for the gag of having it be trivialized by D&D magic.