PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Vital Strike and Explosive Shot (Alchemist Discovery)

VeGaS1986
2012-11-22, 04:23 PM
I was wondering if the two can be combined so I googled and found this.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2nb42?Explosive-Missle-Focused-Shot-and-Vital-Strike

However it occours to me that Vital Strike simply lets you use it whenever you are performing an attack action. From what I can tell it doesnt actually require that action to be performed speficically for the feat. Those kinds of feats usually have the wording "you may as a standard action" or something to that effect.

So when im using Explosive shot, a standard action, to make an attack, assuming that qualifies as "when you use the attack action" I can choose to have it affected by Vital Strike?

I fancy myself pretty good at reading the rules but english isnt my first language so maybe the meaning may be lost on me and im reading it wrong?

Thanks for any input.

Ailowynn
2012-11-22, 05:40 PM
AFB right now, but I believe that the attack action is different than the throw splash weapon action, meaning that an Alchemists bombs could not be used with Vital Strike.

VeGaS1986
2012-11-22, 05:50 PM
AFB right now, but I believe that the attack action is different than the throw splash weapon action, meaning that an Alchemists bombs could not be used with Vital Strike.

Explosive Missile (accidentally called Explosive Shot in the title) isnt throwing a splash weapon, it is a standard action to prepare the bomb, attach it to the ammunition, load the weapon and fire.

When an alchemist normally just prepares the bomb and throws, it is also a standard action, which incidentally CAN be affected by Vital shot (it is considered a weapon). It just only gets to add an xtra 1D6 for the base damage. All the xtra D6s that bomb gets from levels are "xtra damage" and dont apply. Which begs the question wether Vital shot gets applied both to the weapon damage and the bomb damage?

Amnoriath
2012-11-22, 06:10 PM
Well, the Alchemist Bomb section does consider it a weapon for feats in which can be applied to it. Whether it matters or not the bomb doesn't have a critical but the language seems to pretty clearly in favor of saying both.

VeGaS1986
2012-11-23, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the replies but I dont feel like a strong enough case has been made either way yet for me to call this question answered.

Yes, this is a shameless bump.