PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Is Daylight any use?

Jeivar
2012-11-22, 04:53 PM
Sooo, I'm playing an Aasimar Paladin in Pathfinder, and I'm trying to select a spell-like ability. Daylight is the default one, but this page (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-aasimar) lists almost 100 alternatives. I'm partial to #88, making a weapon Holy for three rounds, and I'm REALLY partial to #90 and boost my Charisma even higher, but I'm not sure if the DM will allow it.
Daylight may be very fitting for an Aasimar but since they also get Darkvision I really don't see the point. Okay, it does weaken light sensitive monsters, but how many of those are there?

Advice? I have very little experience with Pathfinder.

Anxe
2012-11-22, 05:38 PM
Daylight also dispels darkness. The holy weapon one sounds best. You don't want to piss off your DM.

QuidEst
2012-11-22, 05:49 PM
Aasimar are already getting unreasonably bonuses higher than other races. The only time I consider abusing them further is when I'm trying to make a character with a strong dump stat, and in that case, I take Age Resistance, Lesser as an SLA.

Daylight will allow your allies to see, which is certainly handy. And there are a number of undead that it can do a number on. Holy weapon for three rounds is also nice, though, so just pick that one up if you like it and the DM is okay with it.

Saidoro
2012-11-22, 10:10 PM
Human is better than aasimar, their bonuses are not unreasonably high. Maybe if anything actually used both Wis and Cha to a significant degree but nothing does.

QuidEst
2012-11-22, 10:13 PM
Human is better than aasimar, their bonuses are not unreasonably high. Maybe if anything actually used both Wis and Cha to a significant degree but nothing does.

Sure- Wisdom and Charisma is fine. But when the extra options are added in, there are some that do synergize better.

Jeivar
2012-11-23, 01:47 AM
Daylight will allow your allies to see, which is certainly handy. And there are a number of undead that it can do a number on. Holy weapon for three rounds is also nice, though, so just pick that one up if you like it and the DM is okay with it.

Yeah. Though I AM playing a Paladin, so maybe it's a bit superfluous.

Gildedragon
2012-11-23, 05:16 AM
I love that list, it has a lot of great options for a mediocre ability. I would say that if your DM is good with you rolling for your result you ought to do it. However I would pair 47 with 83, and make one of those the standard Daylight ability.

I personally like randomized character traits such as this, they help me think about my character in different ways.

El Dorado
2012-11-24, 09:11 PM
If you have a non-darkvision, non-lowlight vision heavy group, daylight is useful against certain undead, drow, or flying creatures that attack from range (like manticores). On an aasimar, it seems a bit superfluous. For a human, it can be very handy.