PDA

View Full Version : Jaunter - Caster level of travel powers

worldeater47
2012-11-22, 08:04 PM
Hey everyone, I am currently planning a build for campaign to start sometime in the future using the jaunter prestige class. I have noticed that the PRC travel powers don't have a specified caster level which is required for a couple of the spells, namely teleport.

My guess is that the caster level is supposed to be based on character level. Does anyone know if it is stated somewhere and I missed it, if there has been an errata or if I will have to just talk to the DM to figure out what to use.

Cheers

tyckspoon
2012-11-22, 09:00 PM
You'll have to talk to the DM, I think; a prestige class out of an adventurer series is not terribly likely to have gotten any further attention.

There's a few ways I can think of that would make reasonable sense to run it:
Caster levels are...
Equal to Class Level: Consistent with a lot of the rest of the game, but results in incredibly low CLs.
Set per-power at the minimum needed to use the spell: so Teleport would be at CL 9, Dim Door at 7, etc.
Equal to Character Level: makes your travel powers as good as those of an actual spellcaster.

I'd hope for the last and lobby for the middle one; the first one makes them kind of obnoxiously short-distance.

nedz
2012-11-23, 05:49 AM
Do you have a source for this PrC ?

Eldariel
2012-11-23, 05:57 AM
It's from Expedition to the Demonweb Pits. And to answer your question:

Spell-Like Abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities)
"If no caster level is specified, the caster level is equal to the creature’s Hit Dice."

worldeater47
2012-11-23, 11:23 AM
Thanks that is what I thought it would be.

T.G. Oskar
2012-11-23, 08:29 PM
It's good to analyze each SLA in detail.

Overall: since the class suggests that you gain the ability to use scrolls and spell component items having Benign/Baleful Transposition, Teleport and/or Plane Shift, that means they have an effective CL for these abilities equal to the minimum CL to cast them. However, this is an exception to the rule.

Benign/Baleful Transposition: their range is limited to 100 ft., so they don't progress as per the spells (though they give it some mention).

Teleport and Plane Shift: not much mention, but they're spell-like abilities (they have the (Sp) descriptor after the ability's name), so they should behave like regular SLAs.

In any case, Teleport and Plane Shift behave "as the spell", and by being SLAs they have a CL equal to your HD (in this case, your character level), so you have a long distance with Teleport and a larger amount of people you can do planar travel with. On the other hand, Baleful/Benign Transposition have a fixed range, but they have a CL equal to your character level for...well, whatever it might be useful. You can say that both Baleful and Benign Transposition really have little use for CL. Maybe they have a CL based on your character level to beat SR with Baleful Transposition, in any case.