PDA

View Full Version : New boards announcement?

belboz
2006-10-27, 01:31 PM
Hi,

I assume this is a known issue, but I'm not sure.

The boards are now in a sort of...semi-secret state. I found them because, on a whim, I clicked the "Forum" link, despite the fact that a few days ago doing so told me "Why are you clicking this link? The old boards are gone; we'll tell you when the new one when they're up." That page had a link pointing here...but most people are probably waiting for an announcement on the "News" page. The fact that board activity is so low compared to how it was before the move makes me especially inclined to believe this.

HempRope
2006-10-27, 01:48 PM
Shhhh! Don't tell anyone! Pages are loading slowly enough as-is!

belboz
2006-10-29, 12:44 AM
So, any word on this?

I mean, HempRope's witty comment aside, a board is only as interesting as its membership. It feels like we've lost a *lot* of people, and I can't help but think that that has something to do with the fact that the boards can really only be found by a) people who didn't check the boards between Monday and Thursday and b) people who, like me, can't follow directions.

A two-line post on the News page, or better, a site-wide banner, would really do wonders for this problem. (Having the Forums link point directly to the new forum, instead of the old, defunct one--or at least *linking* from the defunct one here--would be nice, too.)

Jack Mann
2006-10-29, 01:02 AM
Yeah, I mentioned this on the Bugs thread. I suspect quite a few people have yet to reach the new boards because they don't know they're up.

Zherog
2006-10-29, 11:14 AM
My suspicion would be that they're using it as a sort of mini load test. If they announce the forums are up everybody rushes in to see what's going on, and maybe things can handle that sort of stress.

But if they keep it at word of mouth (or those who check on their own), the influx of new people is more steady, rather than a gajillion people at once. With a steady increase, they can watch the servers a bit easier and determine how stressful the boards are to the server.

Just a thought.

Azrael
2006-10-29, 12:42 PM
It's hard enough sorting out all the issues that the few, pround and observant have found. Imagine if all the "WOOOT! 1st POST" kids came streaming back. ;)

HempRope
2006-10-29, 02:26 PM
Oooh. Good point. Maybe we shouldn't ever tell them...;)

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-29, 07:00 PM
Of course, the selfish part of me can't wait until I can start jumping right to here when I click on the Forums link in the GitP sidebar after checking the comic. But for now, I'll have to keep on using my bookmark. Ah, well.

Flabbicus
2006-10-29, 08:35 PM
The button now leads here again.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-29, 08:56 PM
Cool!

And just think: A scant two hours ago, it didn't. ;)

TinSoldier
2006-10-30, 05:11 PM
I just found they were up again, on a whim...

Talk about being behind the curve. I think it will take awhile to get used to the new software. One other forum I am on is using this, but it isn't my favorite.

Rawhide
2006-11-02, 07:00 AM
Issue resolved, thread locked.