PDA

View Full Version : Who did you want to be when you where 7?

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-23, 04:06 AM
I wanted to be a super-spy who was also an Ice-Cream man.

Of course I would have a secret base in my truck.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-23, 04:09 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/26/Classic_bugsbunny.png

Yes.:smallwink:

Socratov
2012-11-23, 04:19 AM
B. A. Baracus

but I always was Face when my friends and I prentended to be the A-team. Only years later did it occur to me that I had the best deal :smallamused:

Starwulf
2012-11-23, 04:35 AM
A mage from Final Fantasy, casting Fire spells against whomever made me mad!

MoonCat
2012-11-23, 04:43 AM
Vulcanologist.

I was pretty obsessed, I actually studied it a lot, before going to Vesuvius and realizing that more than anything, even volcanoes, I loved history.

Malak'ai
2012-11-23, 04:52 AM
Lion-O.
Yep. I wanted to be the leader of the ThunderCats (never realized he was a kid trapped in a mans body). I wanted a power glove and a knife that turned into a sword that gave you super sight.

Castaras
2012-11-23, 05:28 AM
Neil Armstrong or Buzz Aldrin.

I was all about wanting to be an astronaut and go to the moon.

Couple of years later I ended up wanting to be Athena or Artemis.

Aedilred
2012-11-23, 06:27 AM
Sam Neill's character from Jurassic Park (Grant, was it?) Now, to be fair, that film wasn't actually out when I was seven, but it was who I wanted to be when I was seven, regardless.

Morph Bark
2012-11-23, 07:19 AM
When I was 7?

Hm, gotta think real good on that one. It's probably either a Super Saiyan, part of the A-Team or one of the guys on Discovery Channel.

Eldan
2012-11-23, 07:21 AM
I'm not sure if it was seven, but when I was a kid, I wanted to be a train driver for a while.

Lentrax
2012-11-23, 07:43 AM
I had this really odd hankering to be an Italian plumber, who was also a pro golfer and a doctor. And a tennis player.

Traab
2012-11-23, 07:43 AM
Herpetologist. I was so big into snakes, man I would read every book I could get my hands on. I ever got ahold of what was pretty much a snake encyclopedia, that covered every species, its habitat, its diet, basically, everything I needed to know to find, catch, and raise one if I wanted. Really odd part was at the end it gave me instructions on how to kill skin and cure the snakeskin. It was like, "Ok guys, now that you have raised this snake from a cricket eating baby to a rat devouring adult, its to time chop off its head, skin it, then prepare it to be turned into boots!"

SDF
2012-11-23, 08:06 AM
Robocop

I have it on tape.

AndToBeLoved
2012-11-24, 12:18 AM
Catwoman. Previous to that, Ariel. Previous to that, a cashier at Nob Hill.

Drakeburn
2012-11-24, 12:40 AM
I always wanted to be a soldier (like the green plastic army men from Toy Story). And then a lawyer..........

Now, I want to become a game designer. :smallbiggrin:

Creed
2012-11-24, 12:52 AM
Ferris Bueller.
I never got to that level of coolness (as one might expect) but I still live by the mantra.
'Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!'

Remmirath
2012-11-24, 01:06 AM
Either an astronaut or a paleontologist. I wasn't real sure on which, and I figured I could probably just do both. I also thought being in the army might be pretty neat.

Later I realized that I don't actually have the patience or most other necessary traits besides curiosity for either of the first two, and I'm too paranoidly attached to my own survival for the third. I'm still quite interested in things relating to all of them, but none of those careers would've worked out for me.

Gettles
2012-11-24, 01:23 AM
I wanted to be an NBA center.

grimbold
2012-11-24, 05:53 AM
a killer whale trainer

my mom thought i was weird, then she foudn a killer whale trainer playmobil set :D

Beacon of Chaos
2012-11-24, 06:04 AM
When I was 7? Pretty sure I wanted to be like Sonic the Hedgehog. Or at the very least to work for Sega.

Strawberries
2012-11-24, 06:32 AM
An astronaut or a F15 pilot. Then I realised that to be an F15 pilot you also needed to be in the military, so I switched to astronaut, scientist or judge. I graduated in chemistry, so it sorta worked out for me. :smalltongue:

Adlan
2012-11-24, 06:40 AM
I must have been about 8, but I recall telling my mum I wanted to go to Israel and join the IDF.

Silly parents, you should worry about what you let other people teach your kids, because that upset my mum quite a lot.

Oddly enough, I joined the OTC, but my final year as Section IC was enough. finished this summer after nearly 4 years.

Haruki-kun
2012-11-24, 09:49 AM
When I was seven... Realistically? I think I wanted to be an astronaut. Less realistically? Mega Man X. I freakin' loved that game (original SNES one) and I wished I had an x-Buster. :smalltongue:

Also, Zero. Cuz Zero's cool.

pendell
2012-11-24, 09:55 AM
An astronaut.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

nedz
2012-11-24, 10:28 AM
An astronaut, but then, men were walking on the moon at the time.

Nowadays, astronauts are just truck drivers.

Totally Guy
2012-11-24, 12:24 PM
A mad scientist. Like off the TV.

But really they were mad engineers that called themselves scientists to seem more important.

Silkspinner
2012-11-24, 12:28 PM
I... didn't want to be anyone.

Seriously, I could think of things I wanted to be able to do, special powers maybe. But I was perfectly happy with who I was. Still am.

I pretended to be the guard monster when kids on the playground were playing house or whatnot. Does that count?

RandomNPC
2012-11-24, 12:34 PM
I'm the only one who wanted to be a ninja when he was seven?

pendell
2012-11-24, 12:44 PM
I was 7 years old in 1978. I didn't even know what the word ninja mean then.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-24, 12:56 PM
Your OOOOOOOOoOOOOoOooOOooooOOoOoOoOOLd

:smalltongue:

Trog
2012-11-24, 12:56 PM
Spiderman. Or a cartoonist.

Grew up and worked as a graphic artist for a newspaper. ... Close enough. :smalltongue:

Thajocoth
2012-11-24, 01:03 PM
I wanted to be the person I have now become.

I make video games. It's awesome. I love my job.

noparlpf
2012-11-24, 07:06 PM
I don't remember being seven, but I think back then I was really into "Yu-gi-oh!" and "Harry Potter".

grimbold
2012-11-25, 05:28 AM
\But really they were mad engineers that called themselves scientists to seem more important.

hrmm
never thought of it that way but its accurate!

Story Time
2012-11-25, 06:54 AM
Scowling, that's rude.

Pendell, can you tell us if you would have wanted to be a ninja had you known what they were?

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-25, 06:58 AM
I was just being silly.

Story Time
2012-11-25, 07:03 AM
I was just being silly.

...please remember that when turning seventy. I wonder how you will think of it. Seriously, I ponder the thought. :smallsmile:

...did you have a nice Thanksgiving?

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-25, 07:05 AM
I don't celebrate thanksgiving.

Story Time
2012-11-25, 07:14 AM
...nice day between Thursday and now? :smalltongue:

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-25, 07:18 AM
Yes. Sure was a good thursday.

pendell
2012-11-25, 12:44 PM
Scowling, that's rude.

Pendell, can you tell us if you would have wanted to be a ninja had you known what they were?

*thinks about it* Probably not. Ninjas belong to a clan and clan discipline is quite strict. Doesn't fit a free spirit like me. There's also the rigid self discipline required of a ninja which I don't have. Hanging for hours from a tree upside down? No thanks!

I gravitate more towards the Jack "Bring me that horizon" Sparrow type of character. I like to trod untrodden grounds, plumb hidden depths, and reach the unreachable stars. I want to explore and discover new things, then publish those results to the world. Ninjas exist by hidden arts and live by deception. There entire life is one long secret. If anyone knows their name, they're doing something wrong. So a ninja is probably the opposite of what I would have chosen to be at age 7. Or age 42, come to think of it.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

nedz
2012-11-25, 01:13 PM
... Or age 42, come to think of it.

Youngster :smallbiggrin:

Yora
2012-11-25, 01:18 PM
Hard to say. We were rather poor back then and had no VCR and only 5 TV channels. I wasn't really up to date with the entertainment hypes of 1991.

Except Star Trek, but that doesn't make for good heroes to emulate.

pendell
2012-11-25, 07:09 PM
Youngster :smallbiggrin:

Heh.

Anyways, it seems there is a ninja or two left (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20135674). But not for long. Ummm ... maybe it's time to launch save the ninjas?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Hbgplayer
2012-11-26, 03:22 AM
I wanted to be an astronaut; so much so that the room I'm currently in has blue carpets and really old glow in the dark stars on the ceiling.
Oh, or Luke Skywalker. I loved Star Wars, and this was in '99, before the new ones came out.

grimbold
2012-11-26, 05:08 AM

really?
i've wanted to be spock since i discovered Star trek at age... 9 (i think?)

Strawberries
2012-11-26, 01:35 PM
really?
i've wanted to be spock since i discovered Star trek at age... 9 (i think?)

Yeah, that was sorta where my 'Astronaut' and 'scientist' came from, as well. :smallwink: I've no idea where I picked up the 'judge' thing, though.

grimbold
2012-11-26, 03:48 PM
Yeah, that was sorta where my 'Astronaut' and 'scientist' came from, as well. :smallwink: I've no idea where I picked up the 'judge' thing, though.

all the times when Kirk has to act as a intergalactic judge?

Karoht
2012-11-26, 04:20 PM
When I was 7, it was 1989.
I wanted to be a Ghostbusting Ninja Turtle. For Hire.
I would use Ninja-stuff (I had not a single clue what Ninjitsu was back then) to beat up the ghosts that the proton packs and traps couldn't deal with. That was my logic at the time.

Shortly after that, I wanted to be a paleontologist, followed by Marine Biologist. By 1998 the plan was to be a writer for Gamepro magazine. And 2 years after that I got the crazy idea that rather than review games I should MAKE games instead.

And then I proceeded to do absolutely NONE of the above.
In retrospect I regret not pursuing Journalism to go work in media, which would have been part of the game review plan.
I regret not becoming a Ghostbusting Ninja Turtle most of all.
:smallfrown:

Scarlet Knight
2012-11-26, 08:51 PM
When I was 7, I wanted to be Ringo Starr. Well, any Beatle, but I remember liking Ringo because was the funniest. :smallcool:

Tengu_temp
2012-11-26, 09:05 PM
Paleonthologist. Because dinosaurs are awesome.

warty goblin
2012-11-26, 09:43 PM
Hard to say. We were rather poor back then and had no VCR and only 5 TV channels. I wasn't really up to date with the entertainment hypes of 1991.

I was in much the same boat, except no TV at all. I think my chosen profession at the time would probably have been knight. Few other careers offer anywhere near the dragon-slaying potential, stylish protective gear, and the opportunity to hit things with swords.

My sword obsession started early. I still have some of the wooden swords I made back then. They're more dagger sized now, and I can't even fit my hand on their hilts...

ForzaFiori
2012-11-27, 01:43 AM
I wanted to be the next Jackie Chan - I was almost a black belt by then already, and had started acting in school. I thought I'd be perfect for it.

DJ Yung Crunk
2012-11-27, 01:45 AM
A journalist, if I recall. Oh yes, I was a stupid child. Now I've gone on to do bigger and better things with my life like

Anarion
2012-11-27, 01:58 AM
Paleonthologist. Because dinosaurs are awesome.

This guy knows what he's talking about. When my parents let me pick my own wallpaper around that age, I had the whole room covered in dinosaurs. I got a bit distracted with enjoying law down the road, but dinosaurs never stopped being awesome. :smallsmile:

grimbold
2012-11-27, 05:42 AM
dinosaurs are awesome.

Thank you captain obvious :smalltongue:

seriously though
i thought this was a fundamental law of the universe?

Jay R
2012-11-27, 09:27 AM
Ten months before I turned seven, John Glenn orbited the earth. A month before I turned seven, President Kennedy gave his speech announcing that we would go to the moon within a decade.

Cowboy was out. Fireman was out. I wanted to be an astronaut.

smuchmuch
2012-11-27, 09:44 AM
According to my parents, when I was aorund five/six I wanted to be a:
Paleontologist, Astronaut, Surgeon, Painter, Bus driver, Street sweeper and a Fireman
All of them, In that order.

edit: Oh and from my own muddeld memories, i vaguely remember wanting to be a test pilot, (leter, though, dodn't rember wich age exactly). If I couldn't be a paleontologist, that is.

... Right now I think I'll be lucky if I even end up getting the street sweeper job.

Serpentine
2012-11-27, 09:53 AM
I wanted to be a little kid when I grew up.
I knew from an early age that being an adult was gonna suuuuuuck.

grimbold
2012-11-27, 10:42 AM

if only all people realized that
then they wouldn't be in such a hurry to get there

Anarion
2012-11-27, 03:10 PM

See, this is such a hard statement to make. It's pretty great having someone else take care of you, especially if that person is a great cook (basically the best part of visiting home during the holidays). On the other hand, being able to get up and go places whenever you want is pretty nice, as is staying out late and just generally setting one's own schedule.

It's also pretty nice to be old enough not to have any potty emergencies or throw a tantrum when you get really tired, though it would be nice to be young enough not to have to do dishes, laundry or vacuuming.

Edit: Also, this wasn't exactly correlated with being 21 in my case, but I do like wine and scotch, among other things.

Jay R
2012-11-27, 04:36 PM

But it doesn't. As a grown-up, I can stay up past my bed time, eat a cookie before dinner, and watch the interesting TV shows.

There is one problem, though. I (sometimes) used to be able to get away from all the grown-ups and misbehave without being caught. But now the grown-up who's telling me to behave is myself, and he's always here.

Anarion
2012-11-27, 04:44 PM
and watch the interesting TV shows.

*Looks at avatar, then back at thread*

...Yes.

Serpentine
2012-11-27, 07:16 PM
Maybe this bit of information will help:
When I was 6, my mum left us with another man, and my dad moved us interstate, initially moving in with his parents. I spent the next several years - maybe right up to today, even - in a snug little bubble of "don'twannaknowwhat'sgoingon". Growing up, I think I knew even then, would mean having to know why bad things happen.

Also, who has "potty emergencies" at 7 that you couldn't have as a grown-up (e.g. In cases of the runs or whatever)? o.O

Orzel
2012-11-27, 08:30 PM
Mad scientist with my own island, 30 goons, 3 robots, a tank of 33 carnivorous fish, and a big laser weapon.

Mauve Shirt
2012-11-27, 08:36 PM
I think at that point in my life I wanted to be Mary Poppins.

Anarion
2012-11-27, 10:17 PM
Maybe this bit of information will help:
When I was 6, my mum left us with another man, and my dad moved us interstate, initially moving in with his parents. I spent the next several years - maybe right up to today, even - in a snug little bubble of "don'twannaknowwhat'sgoingon". Growing up, I think I knew even then, would mean having to know why bad things happen.

Also, who has "potty emergencies" at 7 that you couldn't have as a grown-up (e.g. In cases of the runs or whatever)? o.O

Ah, that does give it some perspective. I'd have to say that hasn't ever been my dream. I want to know why bad things happen, even when it's terrible, so I can help fix them.

As for the "potty emergencies" I wasn't referring specifically to age 7, just saying that one is a criteria for being too young. Though even at 7 I'd think most kids can't hold it as long as when they get older.

Mad scientist with my own island, 30 goons, 3 robots, a tank of 33 carnivorous fish, and a big laser weapon.

Two questions. First, what kind of robots are we talking here?
Second, why did you need the fish tank AND the laser?

nedz
2012-11-28, 12:40 AM

For when the man who likes martinis comes to visit.

The Second
2012-11-28, 02:24 AM
I wanted to be Zorro/The Lone Ranger/Bilbo/Huck Finn/Luke Skywalker/Han Solo/Indiana Jones. I would have been the coolest hero EVER! Ride in on my white horse, fire up the lightsaber, swing across the canyon with my bullwhip, shoot the bad guys with my blaster, then refuse the reward money 'cause heroes apparently get their sustenance from basking in the glow of their adoring fans.

Fri
2012-11-28, 05:44 AM
When I was 7 I wanted to be a mad scientist. Or scientist. Or engineer.

Should've pursued that dream. Sigh. This topic depresses me now. Like you wouldn't believe. Where is that kid now...

Orzel
2012-11-28, 06:56 AM

1 humanoid battelbot, 1 panther battlebot, and 1 bulterbot with a soda dispenser.

The laser was to threaten the world governments. First Chile, then the UK.

The fish were for "removal".

Kjata
2012-11-28, 07:00 AM
Well, I was actually 8 when FF9 was released...

Some things never change.

grimbold
2012-11-28, 01:54 PM
The fish were for "removal".

SOMEpony was a morbid 7 year old

:smallbiggrin:

Fragenstein
2012-11-28, 02:33 PM
I don't really remember what I wanted to be at 7, but I do remember a conversation I once had with my brother about birthday wishes. He apparently always wished for friends and other things along those lines, which I considered to be a waste of a wish. You could make friends on your own.

I, on the other hand, always wished for magical powers because wishing is pretty much the only way to pick those up. In the end, neither of us were dissapointed. He always made lots of friends, and I didn't really believe wishes worked anyway.

SarahV
2012-11-28, 02:57 PM
I wanted to be a super-spy who was also an Ice-Cream man.

You and I would have gotten along well. My plan was that I would be a teacher during the day, an ice-cream man after school, and an astronomer at night when the stars were out. :smallbiggrin:

And yes, I did tell people I wanted to be an ice cream MAN, because it didn't occur to me that I would more likely be an ice cream WOMAN.

It's possible that all three of those choices would have had a better outlook than my current career in print publishing. :smallannoyed:

Winter_Wolf
2012-11-28, 03:26 PM
I wanted to be me, but a famous artist. As it happens, I still want that.

And I still don't have it.

I am a really bad decision maker.

warty goblin
2012-11-28, 03:32 PM

When I was about that age, I (briefly) had a dead rat and a string to swing it with. Not even joking.

Orzel
2012-11-28, 05:45 PM

How could I be an island owning mad scientist without a tank of man-eating fish?

I had everything planned. Though my plan hinged on laser weaponry and robots being cheap by now.

My other 7 year old dream jobs was an underworld information broker or a soda smuggler. I was convince soda and candy would be illegal by now .nd I wanted in the sugar black market

KerfuffleMach2
2012-11-29, 08:16 PM
I wanted to be either a volcanologist or a planetologist.

Nobody else in my class even knew what those were.

I was raised on Bill Nye and Ms. Frizzle.

Fragenstein
2012-11-30, 09:56 AM
When I was about that age, I (briefly) had a dead rat and a string to swing it with. Not even joking.

http://i49.tinypic.com/x5cg7r.jpg

Emmerask
2012-11-30, 10:46 AM

Indiana Jones, he is like a ninja only better :smallsmile:
SO archaeologist, or what I thought then it would be like :>

Karoht
2012-11-30, 11:18 AM
I said I wanted to be a Ghostbuster Ninja Turtle.

grimbold
2012-11-30, 05:04 PM
I was convince soda and candy would be illegal by now .nd I wanted in the sugar black market

what made you think that?

Mionelle
2012-12-04, 06:48 PM
After obsessive watching Animal Planet in the age of 7, I dreamed of being a zookeeper. But you know, not just an ordinary one, the best in the world!

Karoht
2012-12-06, 10:26 AM
After obsessive watching Animal Planet in the age of 7, I dreamed of being a zookeeper. But you know, not just an ordinary one, the best in the world!
So, Steve Erwin then?
The best zookeeper in the world doesn't need cages or enclosures, just the real world to work with.
Rest in Peace, crocodile hunter.

Zaggab
2012-12-06, 11:53 AM
I believe I wanted to be Spiderman. Or Einstein. Probably both at the same time.

I remember I used to imagine how much I would own at various games and sports if I was Spiderman.

Karoht
2012-12-06, 12:11 PM
Surprisingly, I learned rather a lot about atomic science and biochem via Spiderman.

Mionelle
2012-12-06, 01:03 PM
So, Steve Erwin then?
The best zookeeper in the world doesn't need cages or enclosures, just the real world to work with.
Rest in Peace, crocodile hunter.

Yeah, he was kind of idol in my childhood. :smallsmile:

grimbold
2012-12-06, 01:55 PM
Yeah, he was kind of idol in my childhood. :smallsmile:

same
it was crushing when he died :smallfrown:

snoopy13a
2012-12-06, 02:22 PM
I can't remember. Maybe a basketball player or a fireman?

Fragenstein
2012-12-06, 02:24 PM
I can't remember. Maybe a basketball player or a fireman?

Possbily a WWI Flying Ace?

Anarion
2012-12-06, 02:27 PM

And how would you have dealt with the Red Baron? :smalltongue:

Fragenstein
2012-12-06, 02:34 PM

http://queenbeecoupons.com/wp-content/upload/2012/09/Red-Baron-pizza-Safeway.jpg
Deliciously and at Club Prices!

snoopy13a
2012-12-06, 02:46 PM

Maybe. But also a shortshop, a World Famous Attorney, A World Famous Surgeon, a mystery author (it was a dark and stormy night . . .), a tennis player, etc.

The Red Baron would never take me alive--although he might shoot down my doghouse.

IsaacTheHungry
2012-12-06, 10:51 PM
Let's see... Around 7 I had several. On that stuck in my head was I realy wanted to be a mad scientist.

Look at my current official job title...

"Mad Scientist"

I love my job :smallbiggrin:

www.Madscience.org

stabbybelkar
2012-12-07, 09:54 PM
When I was 7, I wanted to be the Bhaalspawn from Baldur's Gate. My dad got that game for Christmas when I was six and I used to like playing it too. Of course, being 7, I was never able to get past that GODDAMN mage assassin that you meet when you first go to the Friendly Arm Inn. :smallfurious:

Oddly enough, back then, I always assumed that Imoen was the Bhaalspawn's sister years before BG2 came out and confirmed that she actually was.

INoKnowNames
2012-12-08, 02:43 AM
This thread only has one appropriate answer:

http://static2.fjcdn.com/comments/And+this...+is+to+go...+even+further+beyond+_1fa48 0707815d7d6f83dbf2c832ea005.png

Anarion
2012-12-08, 03:29 AM
This thread only has one appropriate answer:

http://static2.fjcdn.com/comments/And+this...+is+to+go...+even+further+beyond+_1fa48 0707815d7d6f83dbf2c832ea005.png

A blank spoiler box with a broken funnyjunk link? :smallconfused:

Bulldog Psion
2012-12-08, 03:51 AM
I definitely wanted to be a Tyrannosaurus rex at that time. Everything T. rex (or dinosaur, for that matter) was cool in my book.

That, of course, was before I discovered swords, guns, and women. :smallwink:

INoKnowNames
2012-12-08, 03:54 AM
A blank spoiler box with a broken funnyjunk link? :smallconfused:

Weird, it shows up when I look at it.

http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/142/81fb98cfa2f843ccb177f7842ad13d25/l.jpg

I definitely wanted to be a Tyrannosaurus rex at that time. Everything T. rex (or dinosaur, for that matter) was cool in my book.

That, of course, was before I discovered swords, guns, and women. :smallwink:

Heh... I wanted to be a Dinosaur when I was like... 3. And 15.

Bulldog Psion
2012-12-08, 04:01 AM
Heh... I wanted to be a Dinosaur when I was like... 3. And 15.

Heck if I know what I wanted to be when I was three, so you're ahead of me there. :smallcool:
15, too, eh? Well, that's more Space Marine territory for me, lol.

grimbold
2012-12-08, 04:04 AM

i WAS the red baron :smalltongue:

KingOfLaughter
2012-12-08, 04:57 AM
A soldier, I made it happen. :P