PDA

View Full Version : Level 1 tank

Spuddles
2012-11-23, 11:38 AM
I have warforged crusader with stone power and adamantine body, sword and board. What should last feat be on? Extra granted maneuver? Should stone power be that feat from savage species that increases DR by 1 instead?

This character probably won't get past level 6 or 7. Would shield specializaion be worth it?

Any particularly powerful builds for these levels?

What maneuvers should I be looking at, other than the healing ones?

gomipile
2012-11-23, 11:59 AM
I'd say that the feat Stand Still (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill) from the XPH could be a good choice. If your goal is to help keep enemy melee off of your friendly casters, it could come in handy.

Spuddles
2012-11-23, 12:25 PM
I'd say that the feat Stand Still (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill) from the XPH could be a good choice. If your goal is to help keep enemy melee off of your friendly casters, it could come in handy.

Don't need crowd control. It's never really been an issue in our games. Need survivability. While tripping is fantastic (as another form of crowd control), I've played enough builds like that. Looking to do something new.

My goal isn't to fill the mmorpg role of "pulling agro" but more of being an implacable warrior made of living steel.

It's really too bad warforged don't qualify for half-minotaur.

awa
2012-11-23, 12:46 PM
there is a feat called shape soul meld use it to take rage claws.
It lets you fight till -10 sorta like an improved die hard with no lame perquisites

Dr Bwaa
2012-11-23, 12:57 PM

If your DM allows half-minotaur anyway, why not go Warforged Incarnate Construct Half-Minotaur?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-23, 01:03 PM
I suggest ditching your sword, get a big ass heavy steel shield and grab improved shield bash, add spikes to taste and two-hand your shield bashing.

Spuddles
2012-11-23, 01:15 PM
If your DM allows half-minotaur anyway, why not go Warforged Incarnate Construct Half-Minotaur?

Because one template is inherited, one is applied, and incarnate removes all the bitchin immunities of being a living robot.

Spuddles
2012-11-23, 01:18 PM
I suggest ditching your sword, get a big ass heavy steel shield and grab improved shield bash, add spikes to taste and two-hand your shield bashing.

I like it. Can add slam as secondary attack, too. Sort of a weird, mechanicaly derivative fighting style, though, which is kind of a bummer.

Urpriest
2012-11-23, 01:41 PM
Don't need crowd control. It's never really been an issue in our games. Need survivability. While tripping is fantastic (as another form of crowd control), I've played enough builds like that. Looking to do something new.

My goal isn't to fill the mmorpg role of "pulling agro" but more of being an implacable warrior made of living steel.

Well technically warforged can qualify for half-minotaur, since they're living and corporeal. There is no requirement in the template about the base race engaging in sexual reproduction.

Definitely stick with Stone Power rather than the Savage Species feat. It may seem of similar benefit now, but it will pull ahead pretty fast, so even though you're sticking to low level it will be useful.

I'd try to think of something offensive to do at this point. With your passel of flaws you've got enough feats to split them between offense and defense, so your offense shouldn't just be maneuver-based.

Spuddles
2012-11-23, 03:11 PM
The problem with half minotaur is that a warforged isn't a humanoid, giant, or monstrous humanoid; the only legal targets of the template.

That aside, what would you think would make good offensive feats? Cleave is handy, esp at low levels. Shield specialization & that feat from PHB2 that lets me twf with shield seems interesting, esp. because it simply sets the penalties to -2/-2. That means non light weapons in both hands, and full str bonus on each, does it not?

OTOH, strikes are pretty boss.

We play with crit fumbles; typically lose a turn. I hate it, but what are you going to do. With that in mind, more attacks, especially at penalty while using stone power, doesn't seem worth it.

Cleave? There are some feats for shield users in sword & fist, but I think they got errata'd in comp warrior or races of stone.

Right now I am leaning towards two handing a heavy steel shield with spikes. Stone power, extra granted maneuver, and....?

One other house rule- we can retrain a feat on level up, so long as it's legal, etc.

Gwendol
2012-11-23, 03:19 PM
Cleave, it's an under-appreciated feat. At the levels you play it definitely has its uses, unless your DM only lets you face single monsters.

Urpriest
2012-11-23, 04:05 PM
The problem with half minotaur is that a warforged isn't a humanoid, giant, or monstrous humanoid; the only legal targets of the template.

Ah, true. I had it mixed up with the other half-feats.

Cleave is actually useful in this level range, so it's definitely a viable choice, especially with your retraining rules.

Spuddles
2012-11-23, 07:11 PM
there is a feat called shape soul meld use it to take rage claws.
It lets you fight till -10 sorta like an improved die hard with no lame perquisites

That's actually pretty cool, esp as warforged don't bleed. It's like 10 bonus HP, and with retraining rules on the table, I can switch it out to something else. I should really look at MoI again, read some guides.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-11-23, 07:51 PM
The feat in Savage Species increases your DR by 2, the one in CW increases it by only one. They have different names, so the one in CW isn't a replacement for it.

Extra Granted Maneuver is probably the best choice, you'll get to use a given strike every three rounds instead of every four rounds.

Zonugal
2012-11-23, 08:02 PM
Shape Soulmeld (Dissolving Spittle) could be a nice choice as it provides a reliable ranged attack (with acid damage, which is always nice, at a touch attack, which is also very nice).

Slipperychicken
2012-11-24, 11:27 AM
If you don't mind not attacking, Tower Shield will make you pretty much invulnerable at level 1 (can't be attacked, period. Also breaks line of effect), and for a long while thereafter. Get that, and the biggest armor you can afford, put your first level in Crusader. Take healing and DR maneuvers.

Very good if you can block off a choke-point while your friends shoot past you at enemies, or your buddies stand behind you with a ranged/reach weapon and stab people on the other side of you.