PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] The Iron Wall and someone to jump it

Ping_T._Squirrel
2006-10-27, 01:50 PM
I see a lot of prestige classes (Both homebrew and in the book) for melee based around doling out damage and quickness. In my first offering, I give you my homebrew tank that is not a dwarven defender, nor relies on a X-times-per-day function.
I think it might be a bit overpowered, but it trades a lot in the offense to get there. As for the Shield techniques, I like choices when making a charater. Take a look and coment!

The Armored Master
Martial prowess takes many forms but much of it is how to strike out against one’s opponent. Some, however take a different stance on the idea, and become a bulwark of defense that is nearly impossible to break once they reach their own pinnacle. Such warriors are truly the masters of their defenses.

d12 HD

Requirements
To qualify to become an armoured master, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Feats: Amour proficiency (Heavy), Tower Shield Proficiency, Toughness, Combat Expertise
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Special: Must regularly use at least a masterwork piece of heavy armour in actual, deadly combat.

Class Skills

The Armoured Master's class skills are the same as the fighters. He gets 2+int modifier of skills per level.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+1|+2|+0|+0|Steel Comfort, Shield Technique
2|+2|+3|+0|+0|Iron Hide +1
3|+3|+3|+1|+1|Steel Core
4|+4|+4|+1|+1|Iron hide +2, Improved Steel Comfort
5|+5|+4|+1|+1|Shield Technique
6|+6|+5|+2|+2|Iron Hide +3, Steel Core
7|+7|+5|+2|+2|Greater Steel Comfort
8|+8|+6|+2|+2|Iron Hide +4
9|+9|+6|+3|+3|Steel Core, Armoured Mind
10|+10|+7|+3|+3|Iron Hide +5, Shield Technique, Perfect Comfort[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Armoured Master prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

The Armoured Master does not gain any new proficiency with any weapons or armour.

Steel Comfort: (EX)

When one starts to go down the path to becoming a true master of defense, you get better at carrying ones armour.

1St Level: Armor is considered to be 80% regular weight when worn for purposes of weight limits and skill calculations. The maximum dexterity bonus is raised by one, and the skill penalty for the armour is lowered by one.

4th Level: Armor is considered to be 60% regular weight when worn for purposes of weight limits and skill calculation. The maximum dexterity bonus is raise by two, and the skill penalty for the armour is lowered by two. Heavy armour is considered to be of medium weight for movement purposes.

7th Level: Armor is considered to be 40% regular weight when worn for purposes of weight limits and skill calculations. The maximum dexterity bonus is raised by three, and the skill penalty for the armour is lowered by three. It only takes you one-quarter of the normal time to don your armour, and you may sleep in any armour without becoming fatigued.

10th Level: Armor is considered to be 20% regular weight when worn for purposes of weight limits and skill calculations. The maximum dexterity bonus is raised by four, and the skill penalty for the armour is lowered by four. Heavy armour is now considered to be light armour for movement purposes.

Shield Technique:

At the first, fifth and tenth level, the armoured master selects a new skill with his shield from the below list.

Shield Reflex: An armour master adds half of his shield bonus to his reflex saves.

Greater Shield Reflex: When using a shield, an armoured master is considered to have the evasion skill as in the PHB. He can only select this technique if he has Shield Reflex.

Reflective Shield: An armoured master can add his shield bonus to his touch AC when against a ranged touch attack. He can only take this if he has Shield Reflex.

Perfect Tower Shield: An armour master does not take a to-hit penalty when wielding a tower shield with this technique.

Tower Shield Bash: When using this technique, a user of a tower shield can use it as a weapon as any other shield. It is considered a two handed weapon for all purposes. The damage is appropriate to a great club of the same size. To select this feat, you must have the perfect tower shield technique.

Twin Shields: With this, an armoured master can use two shields at once, adding only one half of the AC bonus from the secondary shield. He cannot wield a weapon using this feat, though he can still shield bash. Doing so denies him the AC bonus from that shield.

Perfect Bash: This technique allows the armoured master to shield bash without loosing the AC bonus for that shield.

Iron Hide: (Ex)

The armoured master gains a natural AC of +1. This improves every other level by one.

Steel Core: (Ex)

Starting at level 3, the armored master gains DR 2/-. This improves by 1 every three levels.

Armored Mind: (Ex)

At the ninth level, the armoured master becomes so sure of his defenses that it bolsters his mind and spirit. He can add one tenth of his AC, rounding down to his will saves.

Ping_T._Squirrel
2006-10-27, 01:54 PM
The second class is my response to seeing another "Dragoon" character from the Final Fantasy Series. I think the mistake that is always made in such characters is the games give them such a wide variety of powers that do not translate well to D&D. So, I stripped my redition of the Dragoon to the defining feature; The jump feature. Then I swapped up the name to the Lancer.

How I picture the class is a second line fighter, not ment to take hits, but there to deal out a large amount of damage with their jump attacks Again, I added choice to their developement as a character because choice is good in my mind. Now, without further adue, here is the Lancer.

The Lancer
Flight might be beyond humans without the aid of magic, but that did not the warriors called lancers. They take to the sky before they land the deadliest of blows on those that stand before them.

D8 HD

Requirements
To qualify to become an lance, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Feats: Skill Focus (Jump), Acrobatic, and Weapon Focus in a polearm type weapon
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Jump +6, Tumble +6

Class Skills
The Lancer’s class skills are as follows:
Balance, Climb, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Profession, Ride, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope
The Lancer gets 4 + Int modifier skills per level

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+1|+2|+2|+0|Adept Jumper, Jump Attack, Soft landing (30ft)
2|+2|+3|+3|+0|Leap Technique, Light of Foot (25%)
3|+3|+3|+3|+1|Soft Landing (60ft)
4|+4|+4|+4|+1|Leap Technique
5|+5|+4|+4|+1|Soft Landing (90ft), Light of Foot (50%)
6|+6|+5|+5|+2|Leap Technique
7|+7|+5|+5|+2|Soft landing (120ft)
8|+8|+6|+6|+2|Leap Technique, Light of Foot (75%)
9|+9|+6|+6|+3|Soft Landing (Any)
10|+10|+7|+7|+3|Leap Technique[/table]

Class Features

Adept Jumper (EX): The Lancer adds his level to his Jump and tumble checks.

Jump attack (EX): As a stanard action, the lancer throws himself to the air to try and land a deadly blow. He must make a DC 20 Jump check, +5 DC for every five feet the target is away from him. (Reach of a weapon does reduce the distance). This does provoke attacks of opportunity. If successful, the lancer may make an attack roll at full attack bonus. The weapon deals damage as if it was set against a charge or was done from a charging mount. At the end of this attack, successful or not, the lancer ends his turn adjacent to the target.

Soft Landing (EX): All falls taken by the lancer are considered to be 30ft shorter. This improves every 3 levels until the 9th when the lancer stops taking fall damage.

Leap Technique: At the 2nd level and every other level after that, he may choose a technique to his repertoire. He may only select a technique once unless otherwise noted.

Defensive Jump: You do not suffer an attack of opportunity when making a Jump Attack.

Power Jump: You must have the Run feat to select this Technique. You are considered to have been running 20ft for all of your jump checks.

Deadly Strike: You add the amount that you beat the Jump Check roll to your damage when you make a leap attack.

Precise Strike: Your critical modifier for your weapon increases by one when you make a leap attack. This does stack with other types of modifiers.

Devastating Strike: Your critical multiplier increases by one when you make a leap attack. You may take this feat more than once.

Sharp Aim: You add the amount you beat your Jump Check to your To-Hit roll for your jump attack.

Skewer: Increases your jump DC by 5 and must be done with a piercing weapon. If you successfully damage your opponent, you have pinned him to the ground with your weapon. He can no longer move until the weapon is pulled free with a strength check equal to the Jump Check’s roll, or the weapon is sundered.

Quickened Leap: The Jump Attack is now a free action, as long as you have not yet attacked this round.

Sundering Strike: You may attempt to sunder an object with all the appropriate bonuses with a leap attack.

Rebound: At the end of a successful Jump attack, you may make another jump roll to distance yourself from your opponent.

Double Jump: You must have Rebound to select this technique. After a successful Jump Attack, you may begin a second jump attack on any other target than the one you just struck. The Jump DC on this attack is increased by 10.

Great Impact: Increases Jump DC by 5. When you land, everything within 5 ft rolls opposed rolls as if Jump Roll was a trip attempt. If they fall, they are knocked prone.

Light of Foot (EX): When making checks where weight is a factor, the weight is reduced by a margin since the continuous training helps the lancer adapt to it. Weight is reduced by a quarter at level 2, and that improves at the 5th level to 50% reduction, then at the 8th level it reaches 75%. Every time that this improves, the armour check penelties are reduced by 2.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-10-27, 01:59 PM
I like the flavour of both. Not sure whether the first one is overpowered or not, but the second one seems a wee bit underpowered. Jump Attack just doesn't seem worth a full-round action to me, and that's a massive part of the flavour right there.

Ping_T._Squirrel
2006-10-27, 02:15 PM
I can't get those tables to work out nicely so they aren't alll mashed together. Any tips on how to do that?

Saithis Bladewing
2006-10-27, 02:18 PM
Why yes, yes I do have a suggestion.
Use these tags around the table, then carefully space it out.
It's how I do my tables on forums.

To get code tags, it's like any other forum tag. {code}{/code} Replace the {'s with ['s and you're set.

Ping_T._Squirrel
2006-10-28, 02:56 PM
I wish I was better with code. Ah, well.

Anyone have a bit more to comment to the balance of the PrCs.

YPU
2006-10-28, 03:14 PM
I always tried to make a dragoon class, so I am very happy to see a good one. I suppose that you could allow the dragoon to reduce armor penalty on jump from armor, if I remember correctly they done heavy armor. (a bit strange for somebody who tends to jump a lot) and perhaps no attack of opportunity from a jump attack. I might come up with some other things later.

Ping_T._Squirrel
2006-11-02, 12:41 PM
Alrightie. Changed the lancer a bit to boost the effectiveness of the Jump Attack. As for heavy armour, that never made sense for the class to me. I always pictured them needing to be lightly armoured and agile.