PDA

View Full Version : Magical training questions

barna10
2012-11-23, 01:51 PM
If a character takes the Magical Training feat and DOES NOT take any levels in Wizard or Sorcerer and then later takes levels in a Prestige class that advances his or her spellcasting, would the character benefit from getting more spells per day, being able to cast higher level spells, etc.? Or just get an increase in caster level?

Reading most Prestige class entries would tend to make me think the character WOULD be able to gain more spells per day and an increase in casting ability.

What do you think?

Aracor
2012-11-23, 02:39 PM
There's no progression for the feat to follow, so no. There's nothing to gain.

Cog
2012-11-23, 02:40 PM
Prestige classes advance your abilities in a spellcasting class; a Fighter with Magical Training has no spellcasting classes, and so wouldn't gain any benefit from the PrC's spellcasting progression. They could benefit from something like Dragon Disciple's bonus spells, but that's about it.

barna10
2012-11-23, 04:27 PM
See your points, but I think I'll still allow it. I'll consider the character to have pretty much a zero level thanks to the feat (caster level 1 for effects). After he takes the Prestige Class, his caster ability will advance to being a first level Wizard (1st level spell slots). I think it's still balanced. He won't get the skill points, Scribe Scroll, or Summon Familiar, but he will advance in spellcasting.

Aracor
2012-11-23, 04:46 PM
He wouldn't get the rest of that for taking a prestige class anyway. Basically you're allowing a feat to replace taking a level of wizard.

What prestige class are you taking, anyway? Most require being able to cast higher than 0 level spells.

barna10
2012-11-23, 05:08 PM
The character will qualify for Mystic Theurge thanks to Precocious Apprentice.

Zombimode
2012-11-23, 06:18 PM
The character will qualify for Mystic Theurge thanks to Precocious Apprentice.

No. Precious Apprentice requires 1 level in an arcane casting class. A level 1 Fighter with the Magical Training feat is not an arcane casting class.

Zonugal
2012-11-23, 07:08 PM
Actually Precocious Apprentice only requires an arcane caster level 1st & a spellcasting ability (Int or Cha) of 15.

But with that said you still can't progress Magical Training via Mystic Theurge or any other prestige class.

barna10
2012-11-23, 07:10 PM
No, Precocious Apprentice requires Arcane caster level 1, not one level in an Arcane class. The combo works.

Zombimode
2012-11-24, 05:01 AM
No, Precocious Apprentice requires Arcane caster level 1, not one level in an Arcane class. The combo works.

Right, I misread that.
It still does not work since Magical Training does not give you an acrance caster level of 1. You are merely being treated as having caster level 1 "for the purpose of determining level-based variables of the spell you cast", not for meeting prerequisites or so.

darksolitaire
2012-11-24, 05:59 AM
So, taking two feats to replace three levels of Wizard. Well, those caster types are so squishy that they probably need it to stay useful.