PDA

View Full Version : [IC] King Solomon's Trials (Moranica)

urdjur
2012-11-23, 03:19 PM
Please post your sheet as a link or in a spoiler below, Moranica, and the trial shall commence!

Moranica
2012-11-25, 05:12 PM
Just need to buy gear.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=475287

I use WBL 2?

urdjur
2012-11-26, 12:19 AM
Yes, 900 gp. Unforunately, Expanded Knowledge requires ML 3, so you'll have to take smth else. I think you'd only need meta weapon against the shadow, so maybe take a couple of power stones. Expansion will serve you better, but perhaps Vigor would be even more useful taking expansion as a stone too?

Moranica
2012-11-26, 03:58 AM
I forgot all about the stones. Thx! :smallbiggrin:

Moranica
2012-11-26, 02:19 PM
Done!

For the first wave, I buff as follows. Since they only last 1 minute, order is important. After buffing I have:
- Metaphysical weapon 7 rnds (+1 weapon)
- Biofeedback 8 rnds (DR 2/-)
- Force screen 9 rnds (+4 deflection bonus to AC)
- Expansion 10 rnds (makes me large, and my weapon huge! Also reach 10ft)

Initiative [roll0]

urdjur
2012-11-26, 04:11 PM
OOC: OK, you're jumping the gun a bit there since you'll have time to buff between enemies in a wave (after each fight), and get a full rest + heal after each wave. So right now, you only need to worry about what buffs you want for those stirges. :)

IC: You find yourself in an adamantite cell with solid walls and supernatural illumination. One of the walls has a portal like door which swirls open when you approach it to reveal a marsh like environment. The terrain is fairly open and visibility is rather good, but the ground seems squishy. In the distance, you see a dimly glowing circle that may be a portal of some sort. A faint buzz seems to fill the air - the area is obviously teaming with insects.

OOC: You can keep your initiative roll. Just tell me if you want to save any of those buffs for later and how you decide to move forward.

Moranica
2012-11-26, 04:19 PM
Lol, I thought I was taking all CR 1 creatures on at the same time. :smallbiggrin:

Is it possible to just continue waves without losing rounds?

Otherwise, for the stirges, just a nice force screen.

urdjur
2012-11-26, 06:09 PM
OOC: Since you haven't figure out all the details of how Solomon's little place works just yet, I'd recommend just going with the Force Screen for now. Might take a while before you're in a position to attack the Wolf again, even if we rush things!

IC:
Stirges initiative: [roll0]

Venturing forth, the door to your cell closes behind you and you notice how the buzzing noise increases as 2 stirges charge towards you. But does Boris notice them in time to react before they are upon him?

Stirges: Charge. +2 to hit, -2 to ac until next turn.
Stirge 1, touch attack, attaches if hits: [roll1]
Stirge 2, touch attack, attaches if hits: [roll2]

An attached stirge has AC 10, a non-attached has AC 14 (factoring for charge mods).

OOC: Please make a Listen check DC 15. If you pass, there is no suprise round. If you don't, the above represents a partial charge action taken in the surprise round. The stirges may act again immediately, if you're both surprised and they win initiative. Best case scenario, you win initiative and you're not suprised. In that case, you can act before the above happens, either readying an attack or taking some other action.

Moranica
2012-11-27, 04:11 AM
Listen [roll0]

Ooh dear.... going down in first round? :smallbiggrin:

urdjur
2012-11-27, 08:15 AM
(Not to worry, you're not going down yet. The purpose of the Stirges is simply to drain up to 8 CON to make it easy peasy for the Wolf or Squid to take you out. In fact, each wave is headed by ability damaging monsters. Underwater combat with Constitution = 6 will be difficult :smallbiggrin:)

The stirges attach during the suprise round, and begin round 1 attached. They deal [roll0] and [roll1] Con damage respectively. When a stirge has absorbed 4 Con damage total, it immedieatly flies away (I don't care if you kill it at that point).

(Your turn 1!)

Moranica
2012-11-27, 08:49 AM
Boris just sits tight, realising he just needs to get on to handle the more serious threats.

Lol, he just gets it over with. Sleeping heals 1 right?

urdjur
2012-11-27, 02:28 PM
(OOC: Sleeping heals 1 yes, but you're not getting a full rest until after the first wave of three monsters! If you survive that though, you'll get a full Heal cast on you for free, so your CON will be restored come wave 2).

The stirges use Boris like a copper piece harlot and casually fly away when they're done. He can now proceed to the teleportation ring in the squishy marsh, which takes him back to the relative comfort of his admantine cell.

(OOC: You have CON 6, which means you have 6 total hp, among other things. Now it's time to buff for the wolf encounter. You hear faint growls beyond the swirling adamantine door. Approach it and roll initiative when you're done buffing!)

Moranica
2012-11-27, 02:43 PM
I know, stirges are scary!! I simply have to one shot everything now. :smallbiggrin:

Just realised the expansion actually replenishes each time.

Having survived the near fatal incident with the stirges, Boris get's ready for his next encounter, hoping it to be ... less lethal.

Scribly uses expansion 10 rnds and nothing else.

Initiative [roll0]

urdjur
2012-11-27, 05:27 PM
The door swirls open revealing a furry, growling beast of a wolf in a forest setting. This time, it doesn't swirl shut however. Boris shall have to reflect on how to reset the portal later, because now the wolf is upon him.

Wolf: Initiative [roll0]
Wolf: Charge (if possible on its turn, otherwise regular attack). Attack [roll1], damage [roll2], trip if hit (please roll opposed trip roll with your relevant mods) [roll3]

Moranica
2012-11-27, 05:31 PM
Boris charges, swinging hard at the wolf from 10 ft away.

Attack [roll0]; [roll1] damage.
vs Trip [roll2]

urdjur
2012-11-28, 10:12 AM
The wolf is almost cleaved in half, dies instantly and flies out into the forest from the tremendous blow. Stirges aside, Boris is doing fine. Examining the body, he finds a weirding pendant attached to the wolf's neck. Touching it, he is teleported back to his adamantine cell, and the circular door swirls shut, awaiting his next challenge.

(Good show! Any more buffs/armor management etc. before going for a swim with a squid?)

Moranica
2012-11-28, 10:35 AM
Just another expansion. Not much else he can do really.

I sure hope that thing is aggressive and swims into reach of my blade. I can't really swim to it..... Yes, this needs to go quick again, or I'm dead.

urdjur
2012-11-29, 09:01 AM
The portal swirls open again to reveal a large, man-made basin. There is a wide ledge around the circular basin. Leaning over the edge, Boris can see a squid-like creature moving about in the relatively clear water. At the center of the 50' wide, 15' deep basin is a metal grating covering what appears to yet another teleportation portal, submerged in the deep. Boris can just make out a glimmering key attached to one of the squid's tentacles - it will probably open the grate and allow Boris to return for much needed R&R.

(Some helpful links:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm
(scroll down to underwater combat)
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/swim.htm
How tall is your character when expanded? I reckon he will have difficulties keeping his airways above the surface when the water is 15' deep despite being an expanded half-giant.
With your CON of 6, you have 12 rounds to act - each real action cutting that 1 round shorter, so basically you'll have 6 rounds to act before you need to start making CON checks to avoid drowning. Expect that it will take you 1 round to get the key from the squid and 1 round to unlock the grate and move into the portal. So you have about 4 rounds to kill it. If you drop in with expanded chain mail, you're not coming out of the water with the armor donned - just so you know. A piercing weapon would have helped in this situation...)

urdjur
2012-12-04, 01:20 PM
OOC: Since I haven't heard from you in a while, I'll assume this quest is abandoned. If you wish to resume, send me a PM as I won't be checking this thread for updates.

Moranica
2012-12-04, 01:33 PM
The expanded Scribly enters the room, betting on his brute size and strength to prevent the squid from pulling him in. He stands 5 ft from the edge, to see if he can hit the squid from beyond it's range.

Initiative [roll0]

urdjur
2012-12-06, 01:08 PM
So you're basically asking, "Does it blend?" :smallbiggrin: I have a vivid image of an expanded half-giant with a pseudo-Huge size greatsword leaning over the edge of the circular pool like a fantasy kitchen appliance. Brilliant!

However, I think your reach is 20', so with a 50' wide pool, the squid could evade you in the center, correct?

Oh, and:
initiative: [roll0]

Moranica
2012-12-06, 01:12 PM
Easily actually. I think my reach is only 10 ft, since powerful build doesn't give reach.

Boris takes a 5 ft step to the edge and readies an attack.

urdjur
2012-12-10, 06:28 AM
Easily actually. I think my reach is only 10 ft, since powerful build doesn't give reach.

Boris takes a 5 ft step to the edge and readies an attack.

What's the trigger condition? The squid has no interest in attacking you :) You have an interest of progressing. The only way out seems to be through the grid-enclosed portal submerged in the middle of the pool. The key to the portal is attached to one of the squids tentacles. Passivity will only grant you death from starvation, eventually. :smallbiggrin:

Moranica
2012-12-11, 04:04 AM
I was afraid of that. :smallbiggrin:

Boris takes of his armor and will try to jump/charge at the squid. Is that possible?

urdjur
2012-12-14, 02:35 AM
(Sorry for not replying sooner - was bogged down a bit.)

Well you can only charge in a straight line so I think you'd have to have a swim speed to do it (which the squid has, so thanks for the idea! :smallbiggrin:). But you can jump in as a move action and either ready an attack in case the squid attacks you, or attack it if it's in range. Just gimme the rolls! :smallsmile:

Moranica
2012-12-14, 08:25 AM
Boris takes some time to move to the edge. Then he takes a 5 ft step into the water and readies an attack if the squid gets in range.

Readied attack [roll0]; [roll1]

and if the squid has no reach. AoO [roll2]; [roll3]

Moranica
2012-12-14, 08:27 AM
Crit confirmation [roll0]; [roll1]

urdjur
2012-12-16, 07:00 AM
Boris jumps in and the squid hesitates before attacking him, giving the warrior the initiative. His first attack as it attempts to close is unsuccessfull, but he recovers with a devastating blow. Despite the inherent ineffectiveness of a huge blade in water, he slices the beast in half!

Getting the key and unlocking the grid is no match for Boris - he still has plenty of air left in his lungs when he slides through the portal and is ejected into his adamantine cell for some much needed R&R.

(OOC: Great show! A lucky roll made the final challenge easy. You get a heal and a full 8 hours rest before your next wave, assuming you want to continue? If you do, let me know how you buff this time! :)

Moranica
2012-12-16, 07:17 AM
Of course! I do manage to retrieve my armor right? Strangely enough, it doesn't give penalties if I don't wear it. :smallbiggrin:

And indeed, I needed that lucky roll! Excitement is kicking in, so up to the next round!!

Buffs:
- Expansion

Initiative [roll0]