PDA

View Full Version : (Pathfinder) Need some help with my Wizard.

JohnnyCancer
2012-11-23, 05:29 PM
I've been playing a long term game, and am currently rocking a Level 15 Wizard (Arcane School: Necromancy, Prohibited Schools: Enchantment and Evocation).

With the exception of my Improved Familiar, the party is not allowed cohorts, companions, or minions of any kind; I had to surrender my Wizard's Power Over Undead school ability to keep my familiar, and I suspect the DM will put the kibosh on the familair if I do anything too impressive with it. If we somehow dominate or take control of a critter, we're expected to grind it away as quickly as possible and not keep it around.

Getting specific magic items has proven difficult: the sole shop we can purchase magic items from has a set list and a small percentage chance of having anything else; if an item isn't in stock we have to wait a long time to get it. Because of this, I've taken all the item feats except Brew Potion and anything Construct related to outfit the party (we pool our treasure as a commune).

I've mostly dedicated my character to buffing the party and debuffing the enemy. Attempts at battlefield control usually don't jive well with the party, who is almost all melee oriented: in one instance they actually got mad at me for dropping an Acid Cloud on the enemy, even though I had prepped the party with a Communal Protection from Energy; some of them wouldn't enter the cloud to finish the enemy off.

Given these circumstances, does anyone have any suggestions for what to pursue for my last few levels? I'm at the point where I don't really know how to proceed.

Duboris
2012-11-23, 06:50 PM
Hunt spells. Look for things that could potentially buff your fighters and whatnot. Magic items are nice, but you could look into finding scrolls to permenantly scribe into your spellbook.

Acanous
2012-11-23, 08:38 PM
Yikes, being a Necromancer with a DM that can't handle minions is a serious nerf.
I suppose you should focus on Necro Debuffs, such as Enervation, Bestow Curse, and Direct Damage like Slay Living.
If the DM won't let you by scrolls partaining to your school, sit him down and negotiate.. Let him know that you're trying very hard to play a Wizard he can deal with instead of going minionmancy, and that cooperation is a two way street. Having the scrolls for direct damage/Debuff VIA Necromancy available would be a big help to you, and will help you integrate well with the party.

That should be enough of an argument to let you play well without angering the party or the DM.

avr
2012-11-23, 09:41 PM
Get the selective spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/selective-spell-metamagic) metamagic feat; it might make your party happier with you.

Aside from that, you're getting quite late in the game to make significant unplanned changes to your character. You likely won't have the prerequisites for useful prestige classes, and a wizard 15 has no reason to multiclass to a different class entirely.

JohnnyCancer
2012-11-23, 09:46 PM
Hunt spells. Look for things that could potentially buff your fighters and whatnot. Magic items are nice, but you could look into finding scrolls to permenantly scribe into your spellbook.

I've been able to snag a few scrolls, but mostly I've been scavenging from enemy caster spellbooks.

Yikes, being a Necromancer with a DM that can't handle minions is a serious nerf.
I suppose you should focus on Necro Debuffs, such as Enervation, Bestow Curse, and Direct Damage like Slay Living.
If the DM won't let you by scrolls partaining to your school, sit him down and negotiate.. Let him know that you're trying very hard to play a Wizard he can deal with instead of going minionmancy, and that cooperation is a two way street. Having the scrolls for direct damage/Debuff VIA Necromancy available would be a big help to you, and will help you integrate well with the party.

That should be enough of an argument to let you play well without angering the party or the DM.

I don't think I can get Slay Living. I'll see if I can use diplomacy on the DM :D

Get the selective spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/selective-spell-metamagic) metamagic feat; it might make your party happier with you.

Aside from that, you're getting quite late in the game to make significant unplanned changes to your character. You likely won't have the prerequisites for useful prestige classes, and a wizard 15 has no reason to multiclass to a different class entirely.

I really like the look of this metamagic feat, thanks!